I just accepted a job at the local country club as a server...

I just accepted a job at the local country club as a server. I want to be moved up to a bartender eventually because that is my goal. I just recently moved to this area, (tennessee) and I have no friends at all and i'm 22. Of course once I got the job I get called from 3-4 other restaurants that want to do interviews and get me to work there. One of the places was a restaurant called Cheddars. Which is a medium to high end restaurant with a bar aswell but a lot of younger crowd and people. My mom told me I would have a lot more fun working at cheddars because there are a lot of younger people and she said everytime she goes there they seem to happy and say they love their job.

I start my second day at the country club today and its a 450 a month place so it seems to be just rich snob old people that come in that like to golf and shit. I am just wondering what you guys think I should do? Where would I be happier, make more money and be able to become a bartender faster? my current employer told me it would be a "long time" before he puts me in the bar, I have to prove myself.

What should I do guys?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/XOKirstySky/status/732380702600249344
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Country clubs are great to work at. Teach yourself to bartend, take it into your own hands and don't sit around waiting for someone to teach you, because they won't. When you feel like you have the hang of it, tell your boss to let you work a slow shift and see how you do. If he doesn't play ball, start picking up a few extra shifts at a different place for practice and extra money. Very easy route you're taking, relax and enjoy the perks of working for those rich old fucks.

So you think working the country club would be a better opportunity for me in the long run? How long should I work there before I branch out to a better opportunity you think?

You can make great connections at a club. I know a lot of people who made friends with guests and then were hooked up with internships or jobs later on after they finished with school. These are the kind of people who you want to be around. As for length of employment, there's no set answer. Work there until you hit the ceiling- if there's no way to move up, then leave. It really depends on your personal goals. You could stay forever and be successful. For example you could go server > captain > event planner and be clearing 6 figures by age 30. Or you could save up some money and leave for school. Your choice.

> I've lived in Tennessee
> I've had friends that worked at Cheddars
> I've worked in a country club

Do the club. Cheddars sucks dick.

Btw, none of the members want your opinion ever. Just be as neutral as possible.

Can you give an example on what happened to make you feel that way?
Appreciate the input. I am not currently in school and donno what im doing with my life so i decided I wanted to be a bartender

Well Cheddars is like a crapplebees or chilis. Its just a basic franchise. Its gay franchise slaving away, and you'll never make "great" money.

At least with a CC the members are USUALLY classy, you'll get an hourly wage instead of tips, and the good members will still hand you some cash occasionally. And if you are smooth you can get to know them and a member may connect you with a good job.

Plus CC's have random perks every now and then that can be fun.

This!

Working at a country club is way better for Networking for real long lasting careers than working at a franchise restaurant.

There's always work for a good bartender. If you're willing to work, you can make a good living.

You at Holston?

OP here, I just quit the country club job tonight. They had me doing bussboy work didnt even get to serve. Such bullshit. It was a hard decision but i manned up and did it.

Starting as a server is the best bet too right?

twitter.com/XOKirstySky/status/732380702600249344

Get at me.

>I wasn't a manager after three hours.
>They had me doing vital things.

Lel, sure did prove yourself faggot.

I dont believe being a busboy is vital. It wasnt in my job description.

Please say you asked about future prospects before making that decision. I can just imagine a manager complaining about millenials based on what you wrote.

There is no prospect besides maybe bartending 1 day a week after 365 days of employment. And it was just old people, you get 0 cash aswell so you cant cheap out the taxes at all, just nothing went right.

Mate, the plates won't clear themselves. For real are a boomer troll about millenials?

I agree the guy sounds like he was not bringing you into the fold in any meaningful way but your an unknown quantity so the bottom is a sensible place to start you out. You failed the test.

Imagine what he thinks now, thank fucken I didn't put this flakey whinny bitch in front of customers.

And from his point of view, he's right. And as the man owns the place, his opinion is going to win.
You will need to get better at understanding people to get anywhere.

If they told him they were hiring him as a server, then asked him to bus for a while, then I don't blame OP for quitting.

i don't see how bussing would be part of the server training?

I understand they wont clean themselves, but that isnt my job to do. That is why they hire a dishwasher and a cook, not a fucking server wtf.

He said I was coming in at 5 to train for an hour or 2. He had me follow a bitch named connie for 4 hours, and I did dishes and cleaned while everyone fucked around. Im not working in some joint like that. They gave me a nigger job that I get paid less than minimum wage to do. If I wanted a wagecuck job id go work at walmart or samsclub kitchen. I was basically the lackey and did free labor for them. Fuck it

If you got another job OP then I don't blame you for jumping ship. don't put it on your resume of course

Dude what the fuck. Have you ever worked in a restaurant before?

This guy knows.
You don't have the attitude to make it as a server/bartender. You had to clean a few tables, cry about it. Oh wait.. maybe you had to scrape a napkin in the trash can. I feel yuh, bruh.

You're probably a self entitled pompous faggot with a superiority complex. You know nothing of the restaurant world so stay out of it.

They didn't pay you for training?

They probably would have, if he didn't walk out after a couple of hours.

No I have not, but I did nto know that I would be doing lackey work as the server. That isnt what I signed up for. I thought I would be responsible for the customers and serving, not doing dishes and making food.

2.25 an hour, so basically free labor. What i'm saying is, I didnt sing up for labor, I have injuries in my body that make labor harder than it needs to be. IE: standing in 1 place for a long period of time (folding napkins) is bad for my knees. Its why I have to be on the move at all times. Yeah say im shitty and a millennial all you want but I did it for me, but the bullshit lackey busboy work. If I wanted the position to know exactly what they do, I would have signed up for it
THat's some mighty projection from you mate. I didnt clean tables at all. Yeah I scraped plates, that wasnt the problem. The problem was me being made to do thousands of dishes, scrubbing shit, making food, doing work of other positions when that wasnt what I wanted to do on training day. I was there to learn how to SERVE. Not be a lackey bitch.

You are off your fucking rocker man, server is synonymous with lacky.

Can't blame you for quitting though I wouldn't do that kind of work either

Well a lackey to the customer, not a lackey to the facility. That might as well be a wagecucuk position. As a server, atleast you can be a cuck to the customer to make extra tips. Understand what I mean?

you sounded like a whiny bitch, good riddance for the country club.

I didnt whine to anyone, just told them this is not what I was looking for. Why are you projecting so hard?

OP here, I actually just got a job offer today's at chedders and I accepted it. I start monday

Yeah i don't blame you.

CCs are notrious for being cheap fucks.

Paying someone $2.25 an hour while they are not earning tips is illegal I think.

Well shit update. I just got called from the country club in my town that pays you minimum wage, PLUS tips. It is supposed to be a bit of a higher class club too. But I just got the cheddars job. Fuck man this shit always happens. I have an interview with the cc tomorrow. But I start at cheddars on monday. I dont know what to do...

Thoughts?

I am just unsure what to do. Is there a good chance both country clubs will be the same? I know they are indivdually owned. the original one was in more of a hick town, this one is I believe better, more expensive and looks like they actually have people my age. And instead of 2.16 an hour, it would be 5-7 + tips

Chill out.

Life pretty much takes care of itself mate.

How do I know what the right decision is for my future?

Look at the pros and cons what will each job potentially lead to. How many hours will each be scheduling you. Can you just work both? Is the difference in pay offset by the amount you'd make in tips as the server. Does one offer benefits? Job security? Ability to transfer to other stores? Also gut and where will you have more fun. What one works for you better hours wise? I imagine cheddar a will be many more nights where the country club will be closer to daytime??? Just think and ask someone in your family to bud

Appreciate the input, I have no family so I ask here which are some of my only "friends." Anyway the country club would be more of 5-9pm sort of thing while chedders would be 2-11pm m-4. At chedders I would make 2.16 an hour plus tips but some % of my tips go into a tip pool which from my understanding goes to busboys and host's and stuff like that. At the other place, id be making 5-7.25 an hour plus tips but none of it goes to anyone but myself from what I believe. I will know more tomorrow at the interview. But I have a bad memory of country clubs now from yesterdays country club. But again, they are individualls owned so that might mean they are completely different. I am unsure if I should tell them if I got a job at the other country club and quit after a day because it was dirty and I didnt like what they made me do while training as a server, the whole busboy dish washer napkin folder bullshit

Chill out.

Life pretty much takes care of itself mate.

Why do you keep saying that?

Definitely don't mention that you quit a job after a day, dude. Not on the interview/early days at least.

Appreciate it

bump

I've rarely seen a job where a person only does what was said in the job description. Almost every job asks for more than the bare minimum. I understand the dislike for wanting to be a bartender, only to be put forth as a busboy, but you have to understand both jobs to adequately do well in either one. But I digress.

If it was up to me, I would do the CC. At least in comparison, the opportunity to find something related to your interests is higher than dealing with restaurant goers who want nothing more than their food and little interaction otherwise. I imagine CC has open houses where you can at least mingle and maybe find some niche chance at something great vs. front-of-house restaurant work.

What example would you give as niche? Or something great even