Tfw fell for the "Just drop out of highschool and start a business" meme

>Tfw fell for the "Just drop out of highschool and start a business" meme
>Tfw fell for the "college is just a meme" meme

College is a meme for most people though.

No it isn't

college is meme man

Just get a trade and be financially responsible.

I work on trains, i net $80k, I spent 3k on a Trade school program that took 5 months to complete then i got hired right out of school. I now own a two bedroom apartment, Have 40k in my rsp and 20k in my portfolio.

I have friends who have been in school as long as i have been working. They are now finishing their bachelors and have zero job offers except for my friend who spent about 50k (maybe even more) for mech engineering and now just got hired by tesla in San Francisco but he is only making about $30 an hour he said

In my country all the trades work is occupied by retards with 80 iq's who could barely pass highschool.

and yet they probably make more then you

Well I fell for the meme too, they don't make more than me, we make about the same. But I'm working on correcting that mistake.

*than

You sound like a faggot.

Good argument, im a Cruz missile now

Hey

What exactly do you do "on trains" senpai

you might net 80k, but 99% of people like you net 30k.

70% of college grads do not find job of their field, so you would be ahead of the herd with 30k and a job

Is that so?

Then why do College graduates make so much more than non-grads on average?

>this level of reading comprehension
Wew laddy, hope you're wearing a helmet

Lots of disconnect between my college anecdotal experience and everyone on here. Maybe because I don't hang around borderline retards, but all my friends in engineering get gr8 paid internships over the summer and multiple job offers straight out of college making easily 50k (in the midwest) starting salary, with room for wage growth and advancement.

Don't go to a shit school and don't get shit grades and apply yourself and get experience and your stem degree will pay off big time. And you'll probably enjoy it too.

>Then why do College graduates make so much more than non-grads on average?

because the majors that are worth it are REALLY worth it.
>engineering
>computer science
>law
>medicine
>business/finance

graduating from these fields opens the door to positions that make you filthy rich. these graduates drive up the average like crazy.

most other fields though? memeshit that isn't in demand at all and pays like shit.

>most other fields though? memeshit that isn't in demand at all and pays like shit.

It's still much better than no degree at all, is the point.

Even having a """useless""" liberal arts degree is still much better than only a highschool diploma and easily pays itself off.

Many fields and areas' HR department just want someone WITH a degree, just to tick it off on a box. Many companies pay people more SIMPLY for having a degree, even if it's entirely un-utilized. You can always leverage a degree in your favor, "I realize that while my degree was not specializing in [field i'm applying for], I believe the [skills] I gained make me a competitive applicant, I have demonstrated these skills by doing x,y,z".

It's a lot better than nothing.

>It's still much better than no degree at all, is the point.
>Even having a """useless""" liberal arts degree is still much better than only a highschool diploma and easily pays itself off.

you're comparing "highschool plus five years of college" with "highschool dropout plus five years of slacking about".

but this is not what's up for debate.

what you should be comparing is "five years of college" and "high school, trade school plus three years of work experience".

and in that comparison, the tradesman comes up miles ahead of your liberal arts graduate in terms of pay, while requiring much less time and money investment to get there.

>the tradesman comes up miles ahead of your liberal arts graduate in terms of pay, while requiring much less time and money investment to get there

Only in the short term.

There's more than enough uneducated retards who just "want to earn muney but fuck skool" to fill up trades jobs in most places. It really doesn't pay that well unless you get into a union or get into one of the most competitive trades. - In many cases apprenticeships positions are even more full than available Finance jobs unless you have connections.

You're also then doing physical labor for many decades and it's not too worth imo, the College grad might start off earning a little less but his knowledge/experience grows exponentially in many cases, in 10 years time he'll have easily overtaken any trades worker who will be breaking his back all day for around the same pay he was earning 7 years ago.

>go to college
>good major, not a meme major
>I'm "filthy rich" now
K See you at the Bernie drop out #occupy rallies in a couple months

>Graduated in law at 23 years old
>Passed the bar examination
>Speak 3 languages

>Live in a shitty country where cars have 500% increased costs, temperatures are though the fucking roof (40c and upwards is the norm), lawsuits take ages and barely pay back the initial investment i had

fucking kill me already

Could've been worse you could've fallen for the "a cs degree will save me, plentey if jobs " meme too

what trade man? Id also like to do that, How did you finish in 5 months though? I was gonna do hvac which is I believe a year

Yeah go to college, get a shit career, hate your life for 90% of the time you're awake but hey you got money to buy a shitty house and you got weekends off, never amount to anything besides sitting behind a shitty desk, life is utter shit for 99% of the time

yeah the "college is a meme" saying is really just a meme

i'd rather kill myself than waste away as a wage slave

This.

NEET Master race, I'm living with my parents until I'm 35.

Those are some hot memes you've got there. How's that objectivist paradise coming along in mom's basement?

mom died when i was 19
dad divorced when i was 6 after nearly drunkenly shooting his whole family, never talked to again

you don't know shit about struggle you little faggot

>there are people out there that went to high school and started small businesses or made software and sold it whilst still graduating with top grades
>there are people who went to college and started businesses whilst at college and they're now billionaires due to meeting other smart college kids and making something great out of solving problems they discovered whilst at college

YOU
ARE
THE
MEME

Maybe my dad hasn't shot anybody, but otherwise same here faggot. Except instead of just sitting on my ass, I'm trying my best to fucking do something about it. Am I struggling in school? Yes, and it fucking sucks. But a year or two after I graduate I'll be living comfortably on my mechanical engineering salary.

Now there is literally no fucking reason to roleplay as a temporarily embarrassed millionaire and do your best to make life shit for everyone else because hypothetically you might somebody be rich (you won't). Dissatisfied with how our society treats people in our social class? Vote on it.

the point is if you're not going to school just because you're lazy, then obviously you're going to fucking fail at life; college is piss easy compared to any respectable career. college is literally just a 4 year vacation to party and meet people for most students, which to anyone here who was serious about shit, yeah it's a fucking meme.

if you're instead doing courses online and then gaining experience in a field one step at a time, then you can grow a lot faster and not have to spend tens of thousands of dollars just to hang out.

Have you been to college in the last ten years and studied something other than interpretive basket weaving? No? Then you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

>what is jet plane
move you fucking loser.

>if you're instead doing courses online and then gaining experience in a field one step at a time, then you can grow a lot faster and not have to spend tens of thousands of dollars just to hang out

This would be true except for companies these days REQUIRING a 4-year degree, as a bare minimum. As in, they won't even look at your shit without it. You don't have room or time to say "b-b-b-but I have all the KNAWLEDGE I learned online... p-please... I've read and fully understood all college textbooks in .pdf format!", HR departments simply won't care, they won't talk to you directly.

This disregards all the networking opportunities college gives you, and a bunch of other shit.

It's not a fucking scam, stop being a contrarian, college is one of *THE* best investments you'll ever make for the money. Fucking nothing else in life gives you back those returns and opportunities.

graduated 2013. it was a total waste of time and i'm in big pharma.

1. certificates are taken seriously
2. experience > degree, and don't even try to give me shit about that one in a thousand industry that has no opportunities for people without a degree. there is nothing you get from a bachelors and recruiters aren't fucking idiots most of the time. in fact while getting your degree the most valuable use of your time is gaining experience anyway, fuccboi.
3. networking is useful at college, and it's not a scam to go somewhere you can afford or that is a top program. the meme is thinking college is a fucking investment while pretending it actually is anything different from just reading at home. enjoy getting BTFO with your mentality.

>n fact while getting your degree the most valuable use of your time is gaining experience anyway, fuccboi.

And how will you get this experience?

>Hey there I'm user, I have no experience but please hire me so i can gain some

>the meme is thinking college is a fucking investment while pretending it actually is anything different from just reading at home. enjoy getting BTFO with your mentality

It has countless benefits and it is a great investment.

>Reading at home

You don't get a degree from reading at home. A degree which people are willing to pay you more for and hire/not hire you over.

You don't get recruiters coming to your home - whereas your college they do.

You don't get to network with as many classmates and professors as you do in college, at home.

>great investment
measurably false.

>a degree
?
>recruiters
most recruiters that actually come are in sales or tech. which is okay but both have huge quantities of opportunities for anyone anyway.

>network
i have the internet my good man.

you can make use of college resources and benefit from a more guided approach but the transition from school to industry will be the same after college as it would after high school, again with a few exceptions where you specialize in something more complex. i think you're taking this shit too seriously anyway, are you still a student or something? it's honestly not your fault or any other kids into being taken for a ride with these fat loans.

>Why not both?
>Go to tech school and get certifications to work, save religiously.
>Go back and get aa degree.
>Save work save work save save save invest.
>Look to get your ba degree on the road ahead.
>Live alone, live happily and frugally. >Profit?????
Tell me why not and what I can do better?

W-what about e-electronics (mechatronics) engineering?

boi you bout wrong as shit

College isn't a meme if you make contacts, hunt down opportunities. If you're a faglord who rolls up, passes units and leaves you deserve your fate

Not if your +50k in debt

>Not if your +50k in debt

Still worth it

You can easily leverage a Degree vs no Degree into $10k+ higher salary.

do u work at all?

>Just drop out of highschool

I understand the "drop out of university" thing, but who drops out of highschool?

>And you'll probably enjoy it too.
was 100% with you up to this
college was absolute hell and im a worse person in every way because of it

College/uni is only a meme if u are doing a non quantitative degree or you arent going to an ivy league/equivalent.

You can do engineering at some random school and be fine, but, you can't do history at a non ivy league and be fine.

No college is a meme. It immediately disqualifies you from all professional environments.

>inb4 well i know a guy who.. availability bias

And how the hell will i make use of my law degree in another country, specially since i've learned shitty third world law content?

>Not if your +50k in debt
wut

I just graduated recently and I barely have $5k in debt.

I worked while in college, though. Most people don't understand how much that helps.

Why not get a job you enjoy and rent a nice apartment and spend your money on top-tier tech, alcohol, and food?

Hell, I had over 35 days paid time off last year, and I'm going to Germany for 3 weeks soon (leisure) and still getting paid.

He said he lets people run trains on him, I think.

ITT: soft anons who weren't getting experience in their career field while working towards a degree at the same time.

Cold call a load of multinationals, talk to various government departments, email solicitors and accountancies and you'll find that all jobs worth anything are locked if you don't have a degree. Fuck off with this cognitive dissonance about how those stupid college normies are getting jewed. If you do gender studies at a toilet paper degree college then yeah. But getting a proper qualification with a good grade opens far more doors you can ever open by just being le maverik businessman who don't need no educayshun

>not operating a business while in college

>good grade
only the government asks for grades and even then it's only an issue if they are desperate to find someone.

and this conversation is exactly about those college normies getting jewed. its simply unrealistic to have every single 18 year old kid take out a loan he doesn't understand and then suggest that they follow one of a few career pathways that are "worth anything" knowing full well that the jobs at the end of most of them are limited.

if it wasn't a meme then you could convince people to let you study/train for free with a position already in mind. maybe in your specific case what you wanted to do required a degree even at the assistant/associate/tech level. that isn't the only way to open doors for most people,. and it certainly isn't the right one if they are unsure about where they will end up. the handful of people that make university still look like a great choice are the people that could have made it anyway.

i like the idea of entering the industry you're interested in and only after that you make a decision about going to school if it's necessary. if you honestly think there is no way to do that you've already set yourself up for failure, and i hope your major is very broad.

I know what I wanted to do.
I'm studying an economics master's. It's not hard and I've managed to get a lot of attention when finding work. Already have a graduate job ready for when I finish.
But even then, I've found that an awful lot of graduate recruitment like I've listed doesn't necessarily require a business/economics degree for you to be eligible. You send in your CV, your grades and your course choice and you go through the assessments along with everyone else. Multinationals believe it or not often accept Humanities students into their graduate intake programs. Whether you pass the tests or not is down to your own aptitude. If you suck shit at psychometric tests, git fucking gud, because you'll need to be able to do them.

There is no "drop out of high school" meme. It's free and it's necessary in modern society. You're just a lazy stupid fuck that thought ditching school is ever okay.

As for the "college is a meme" meme, that's pretty much a fact. You don't need it to have knowledge on a particular subject or to be financially successful. There are more useless degrees than there are useful ones, and they all bring in debt.

If you wanted to start a business, you should've got a job, finished high school, and saved up while doing your research and planning. Never go into the red for a business idea you're not 110% certain will work.

Blame yourself.

Id be more apathetic if i wasnt so lethargic

>Just drop out of highschool
any advice starting by the word "just" should be instantly disregarded.
i thought every 5yo knew this.
world is not a simple place any advice that offers a simple solution is a scam.

The word "just" is so cheap in general.

No matter how or when you use it, the answer can never be "just", because every real and complex answer cant possibly have only one layer of truth.

exactly so people that use it freely are either fucking retards or want to scam you out of your shit.

Sounds like you're an autist likely. Literally best years of my life, all my friends say this. Like I said, don't go to a shit school. I go to one of the best Big 10 schools and people literally fuck themselves in credits just so they can stay an extra year and continue to enjoy themselves.

As someone who's worked in professional environments, you're probably just retarded or autistic (or both?). Idk what the fuck you're saying. Every office and business I've been in working and visiting only has college educated people. I live in real cities though if that matters (500k and 5mil+ are my two homes).

stem degrees are somewhat valuable, but you can learn almost anything without having to go to college... i went to princeton (claim) and i still feel like i should have gotten in (the main feather in ur hat) and then quit after frosh year.. it was fun tho...
but information is free today... and ive met ppl who didnt grad hs who are smartter/more interesting than most of the library whores at princeton...

idiots like you don't understand that money is a means to an end.

if you have a shitty job, I really don't care what it pays, your life sucks. You can live extremely well by yourself on 35K per year. This muh 80k/muh 6 figures crap is simply for people that have the whole "I want to live in NYC/LA/SF" thing going on in their mind, or want to have a family and don't want their spouse to work.

Common mistake is dropping out before you have a stable income stream to support yourself with.

Most people aren't resourceful/knowledgable enough to drop out and start a profitable business venture.

Yeah maybe if it was a worthless major

That post was talking about engineering
I went to a Big 12, where in 4 years there was not a single enjoyable moment
I personally know kids with autism who went to school and enjoyed it, because they are retarded

kill urself if ur going to reply to ppl without reading their whole post

Mechatronics is garbage. Just do mechanical engineering and take some EE classes. I have never once met a mechatronics engineer in my ~10 years in thr industry, even on projects that require both mechanical and electrical knowledge.

i dropped out because the job and the school was too much. i figured i need the money more than the paper.

Becuase you wont have time to enjoy those things when your exhausted from work during your 4 hours of leisure time.

That's just another meme. The world is a very very very simple place. The only people who pretend it's not are those that don't understand it or those who don't want others to understand. I'm guessing you are the second.

Money is a means to an end. Don't tell me you fell for the enjoy what you do meme. 99.9% of people don't enjoy their jobs. But they need to pay the bills some how and then maybe they can do the things they do enjoy.

>The world is a very very very simple place.
it's simple there are pretty simple physical rules governing it. but human society is also very complicated for blanket answers to anyone's issues and problems.

>jobless homeless here kinda starving
just get a job!
>desperate virgin here can't talk to girls want to kill self
just pop your cherry you will get better!
>i'm poor i barely make ends meet every month kids go to school wat do
just have some investments and passive income on the side!
simple answers and they have truth in their core but they are inapplicable in reality most of the time. and that is why you should disregard any advice starting with just.

>tfw fell for the not killing yourself meme

College is a means for passionate people to develop themselves, not for lazy people to add a line on a resume.

Who's fault is that?

It's so funny to watch babies like you act like you understand everything. If the world is so simple, why are you not rich?

I'm going to work for ten years then travel the world managing my assets and writing while you're gonna be playing the next video game.

Uni isn't a meme.
Meme degrees are a meme.

Singapore?

>law
>good major
habababbabbabababbahabahahab

agree with you on literally everything else you said but habbshhah about law

Depends how you define meme, I got high for 4 years and got a peice of paper that may or may not increase my chances of getting hired.

Law isn't a bad major, it's actually quite good. Or, well, it was good. Back in the day you could apply for a ton of jobs with a law degree and the employer would be like "hey whoah this guy has a law degree and knows his shit, this is a hard degree to get let's give him a shot". Now, with automated hiring systems, good luck getting your foot in the door without having "specific degree and minimum experience requirement". When you look at it that way, openings for people with a "law" degree are fucked.

>Even having a """useless""" liberal arts degree is still much better than only a highschool diploma and easily pays itself off
>and easily pays itself off
You couldn't be more wrong.

It is true.

You can leverage a liberal arts degree and get many jobs which just require "a degree" - not a specific one.

If you had saved the money and got the work experience you would have ended up with more money. I would rather hire a hardworking kid straight from highschool for little money and increase his wage every year that he proves his worth than hire some liberal arts moron who spent the last few years following seminars about "the 3 P's of game design".

By the time you get your worthless degree, that kid will already be earning more than you AND he won't have debt AND he will have cash in the bank.

>I would rather hire a hardworking kid straight from highschool for little money and increase his wage every year

Really? That's too bad you're not in a position to hire anyone, though.

HR departments often look specifically for a degree, if you don't have one you're not even getting an interview to show your "experience and knowledge" to the big man.

>I would rather hire a hardworking kid straight from highschool for little money and increase his wage every year
my company kind of does this, it's working out for some departments not much for us we are the software. applicants are rare and they don't usually hit the mark where the become useful in a year of apprenticeship. it's like investing in a black hole that sucks out time and energy and money from the team.

I am in a position to hire people actually. I want people who work hard and who are cheap. Or for some core positions I want smart people. For those positions I prefer people with degrees, but they are all non-meme degrees. Liberal Arts degrees are at the bottom of my personal picklist.

Just a suggestion, but industry certifications are worth infinitely more than a degree. Any retard can pass university, seriously. Now compare the retard that graduates with a Finance Diploma or MBA and someone with a CFA

Leagues apart.