on DIY fragrances
perfumersapprentice.com/
>>

Other urls found in this thread:

basenotes.net/threads/310965-Bubblegum
youtu.be/cJRP3LRcUFg
youtube.com/watch?v=jtH4JBjVlyQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you want recs, provide as many criteria as possible: including sex, price range, seasons/weather, occasions, other frags/notes/accords you like/dislike, special conditions i.e. can easily be found in mall department stores, other ephemera i.e. personal style/aura you want to project, etc...

make this a pastebin isntead of an image

put this in the OP next time

anyways i'm looking for a few recs here, just brainstorming
>sex
not telling because sexed marketing is bogus
>price range
~$30-50 because i want to swap something in that range, but anything
>seasons/weather/occasions
summer for summer things
>other frags/notes/accords you like/dislike
well i spend most of my time wearing gourmands so that won't really be helpful. jasmine is my favorite suitable note, anything sweet is great, not a fan of citrus
>special conditions
preferably something that i can get a sample of

some guy is selling tom fords for a quarter of retail price. real ones too, he's super reputable

with that in mind, what's your opinion on Soleil Blanc and Plum Japonais? they're the two i'm looking at buying and i'm not really in a position to sample them first

Anyone have Al Wisam Day or Al Rehab Silver? How do they compare to SMW?

saying Al Wisam Day is better than SMW wouldn't be that much of a stretch, since its performance is better. fantastic fragrance, if pricetag is of concern at all you should cop Al Wisam Day over SMW, no questions asked. in fact, you should get Al Wisam day regardless as it's a gem. can't speak for Al Rehab Silver though

>12557593
I'm not a shill but REEEE how is kafkaesque still not on the review/blog site list

By far the most detailed and nuanced reviews I've ever read. I've learnt so much from mulling over the descriptions and hour by hour progression of the fragrances reviewed Extremely helpful for beginners and perfumistas alike.

seconded, and a link to rxcowboy's lebbit wouldn't be a bad thing either

rxcowboy is the GOAT

have you seen his thread on tuscan leather/la yuqawam? he spends a significant time comparing the cocaine notes in each fragrance, it's fucking great

So is Le Male Eau Fraiche similar to invictus? I heard it had a bubblegum kind of scent, is it like a medium between invictus and aqua?

I'm 24 and I gotta move to Mississippi on the coast so it's gonna be hot. I need a fragrance for the office and maybe for dates or a night out. is there any scent that will make southern belles sigh as I pass?

>i need a fragrance for the office and maybe for dates or a night out
so you want 3 different fragrances
>is there any scent that will make southern belles sigh as I pass?
no

Al Wisam Day by Rasasi is a safe bet, great frag

>Mississippi
>Southern Belles

lol...You're going to be in for a rude awakening.

sheesh any frags that ward away white trash and welfare queens

1 or 2 scents would be fine.

I know these are basic, but I'm trying to decide between Bleu de Chanel and Versace Dylan Blue.
Someone in the previous thread mentioned that Bleu de Chanel EDT had really good longevity.
Does anyone have input on Dylan Blue's performance relative to that?

anyone who tells you bdc is a great performer is either a chanel dickrider or a shill, its extremely average and will last in the 8 hour range at most, 5-6 hours on average. dylan blue lasts about in that same range since theyre both similar with the ambroxan/wood/incense backbone. try both, i prefer bdc but if youd rather go in blind then i would recommend dylan blue since its like half the price for a very similar experience.

Got a Silver oil roll on and tried it a couple times. Gets fairly close to SMW, but there is this note that I cannot place, but it feels synthetic and is like tinnitus to my nose, so I don't wear it much. Excellent longevity, but hey, it's an oil. Mediocre projection. But then I remember that it was like $6 and I get a bit less picky, but I still almost never wear any Al Rehabs, except maybe Mokhalat Al Oud, but if they can't get an attar right, we got a problem.

Would you agree that the Dior Homme line is the best designer line of the millennium thus far? If not, what line would you say is better?

In this era of endless reformulation concerns, 8 hours of longevity is very good for a department store fragrance. I can reliably achieve that with 3 sprays of BdC EdT. Not saying Dylan Blue is bad or that there aren't other viable alternatives to BdC. Just tired of hearing about lousy performance from the BdC EdP meme train victims.
t. chanel dickrider / shill

Guerlain Vetiver does really well in muggy heat, and you'll likely smell like some of their dads, so there's that... I haven't tried it in humid conditions, but I'd wager that Encre Noire Sport would be amazing, with a lighter application ofc.

>Plum Japonais
shitty copy of sheldrake's fille en aiguilles. well, it's still nice, but inferior in every way

I have a girl coming over to watch a movie and it's gonna be real cozy. Wondering what frag to wear out of these, or what the "sexiest one would be?"

Bleu de Chanel

CDG - Ouarzazate

Tom Ford - Oud Wood

Derek Lam 10 Crosby - Something Wild

Derek Lam 10 Crosby - Silent St.

Aesop Marrakech Intense parfum

House of Matriarch - Black No. 1

Commodity - Moss

Commodity - Bergamot

Margiela - Jazz Club

Looking for some recommendations, fragrance general always seems on top of it.

>Sex
Male
>Price range
~$200
>Seasons/weather
Summer in southern California.
>Occasions
Looking for a few different occasions. I'd like a fragrance for nights out in the summer, more for bars and date nights than a club scene fragrance and another recommendation for daily wear in the summer.

>Other frags/notes/accords you like/dislike
My only other fragrance is a bottle of CdG 2Man. I'm a fan of woody, incense, and spiced notes but I'm aware those aren't necessarily complimentary to summer, especially not hot and sweat inducing 100 degree days. I heavily dislike rose notes or anything that becomes overly floral and powdery. Willing to branch out into anything, I've tried a few Diptyque scents like Philosykos and am interested in trying Amazingreen but I'm unsure if they're very versatile.

i'm close to buying a bottle of shihan but i'm on the fence. sometimes the sample seems like a short lived cinnamon and nutmeg bomb on me. regardless, it's an incredible gourmand to smell.

has anyone tried this fragrance? thoughts? what are some similar niche fragrances like it?

DH, Terre d'Hermes, or A*Men's "Pure {thing}" flankers

Creed Millesime Imperial is worth a look. Very versatile, you can wear it year round, day or night, light enough for the office, sexy enough for dates.

Warm, rich citrus, fruit, sea salt. Women seem to love it (on me, at least). Get a sample, see what you think. I actually think it's nicer than Aventus, personally.

Blind bought this juice because I love the original invictus but it's too heavy for office use and extreme heat. Versace Pour Homme would be my go-to daily scent if it was slightly stronger/sweeter, and I've heard that this scent is like Invictus/VPH. We shall see in a few days.

Considering buying Parfums de Marly Layton. Tested it already and it smells marvelous on my clothes, but I mostly get vanilla on my skin. Does anyone else have any input on this? It's kind of expensive, so I don't want to rush it.

Any recommendations for something light and not overly spicy for the colder months? Preferably with little sillage, as I work in a hotel.
Would my bottle of L'eau D'Issey do the trick, even if its better suited to spring/summer?
I've tried Boss Bottled, Hot Water, Aramis Black, liked Aramis the most.

burberry london

I actually just got a sample of it today, so I'll try it tonight and see if I can offer any insight.

how do people feel about Frapin 1270 and 1697?

The thing to watch out for in warmer weather are scents that are rich and heavy as they get cloying in the heat. Luckily you can rock certain notes you enjoy: Guerlain Vetiver, Havana, Encre Noir Sport, and especially Kouros are all great in the heat. Go a little lighter on the trigger until you dial in application, but you won't regret it. And since you seem to like figs (Philosykos), some other great summer frags in that vein: Premier Figuier, Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme & Figuier Ardent are all great.

>twenty-four year old male
>law student
>come off as fairly masculine, 6'2" and more muscular than average
>$150 or less
>looking for something for cooler weather (fall/winter/spring)
>looking for something that gives off a "young professional" vibe but that could also be worn casually (I usually dress in jeans with a button-up shirt)
>I love Dior Homme, Burberry London, Chanel Allure (original and Eau Extreme), Prada Luna Rossa Extreme, and YSL L'Homme (& La Nuit)

Currently thinking of just buying DH again cause I love it so much but I'm not sure it suits me very well. Any recs are appreciated.

Soleil Blanc is a nice summer coconut-floral scent, but it's moderate lasting at best. Haven't tried Plum Japonais.

inb4 aventus but seriously aventus

if you're not retarded, you can cop a large decant from frag swap groups for cheap or if you wanna extend your price range those dudes usually sell 120ml bottles in the 180-220$ range

Check out Body Kouros. The eucalyptus note is very clean and unique.

Thanks for the rec user, I do already have a small decant of Aventus and I really like it, but I was thinking of something outside of the fresh category.

Ok, so I've tried the sample for a bit. My initial thoughts are that I pretty much only smell vanilla (and cardamom) on my skin. Can't comment about it on my clothes. It's a nice smell. Very soft and cozy, something you want to cuddle up with.

That being said, I'm not sure it's worth its price tag. I'd try some samples of other frags of that sort first before making the decision. Here are a few that are that came to mind:

Bvlgari Man In Black
Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male
Yves Saint Laurent Body Kouros
Hugo Boss Bottled (Intense or not)
Byredo Bal d'Afrique

It's also similar to MDCI Parfums Invasion Barbare, but that might be even more expensive than Layton.

But if you've tried most of those and like Layton better, I say go ahead and get it. Maybe wait to find it on sale.

You're going to regret it. The opening is orgasmic, but everything after 20 minutes is just super fucking harsh chemicals. It's nothing like VPH, which I also love in addition to the normal Invictus. You'll have to judge for yourself, though.

>TFW can't find a sample of Le Male Eau Fraiche anywhere

Has anyone gotten a reliable decant from ebay? Is it worth attempting, even?

I find that Soleil Blanc doesn't project for very long but I get a pretty decent lasting skin scent on it, and I work outside

What, specificially, creates that "bubblegum" scent that people talk about in scents like Invictus, Ultra Male, etc.?

Did I fuck up? I've always only been gifted whatever scents, and I've never bothered buying one myself.
I thought pic related had a nice scent.

Google, 15 seconds, mate
basenotes.net/threads/310965-Bubblegum

Nah, Bvlgari's Aqva line is considered decent, great performance year round, day or night.

On that note, it is possible to over spray. Just two is enough for about eight hours, possibly a little longer.

Are there any more frags that are similar to the ephemera trio? Thanks.

Great, I checked out a couple of frags but this was the only one that peaked my interest. Have it on for the past 4 hours and I really like how it initially went from a very citrus like smell to, well, to something else - I guess this is what the sea-like smell most reviews are talking about? I live by the sea and I can say that it does smell like walking by the shore at night without the stinky shit.

It's got this dark, woody note towards the dry down that's hit or miss with many people.

Might just be me, but I feel like that frag smells a lot like black people. Do you get that, too? Always sort of interested me, I wonder what it is

ah my b.

in that case, check out gucci pour homme 2 if you dont mind weak projection.
if thats a dealbreaker, check out oud wood by tom ford, ch men prive, amouage reflection man/parfums de marly pegasus, pdm herod.
sorry for the mainly niche list, but while i'm at it being an expensive faggot, i think you would dig bois d'argent if you haven't given it a go and you like the dior line. basically the niche version of dior homme. of course if you wanna be safe, you could always go for the one EDP, people go crazy for that shit but it's fairly common.
also i apologize if you're familiar with most of these since i only listed popular frags.

Probably the clary sage.

Thanks for your input! I have smelled Le Male, Body Kouros and Boss Bottled. Generally good scents but way too popular for me. Maybe I'm retarded but I don't mind spending a little more for something slightly more unique. Haven't tried Man in black or bal d'afrique, but Invasion Barbare is my absolute favourite scent, but I wanted to buy something sweeter for once. All my other fragrances are fougères or 'clean/professional' type scents. Just smelled the sample again and I think I'm going to pull the trigger

Gotcha. No that's fine, I recently bought a bottle of Neroli Portofino Forte even though there are much cheaper, similar frags. I got it for a good price though.

If you want something sweet, you might want to check out Bal d'Afrique anyway. It's pretty sweet and everyone I know who has smelled it says they like it. I'm not a fan of vetiver or overly woody events but I like it.

what the fuck is up with perfume commercials

Applying frags - skin(neck/collarbone/wrist) or clothes (chest area)?
I only sit around in an office then go to the gym(+shower) then sit around in the office again.
I guess it's a no brainer that I should apply it to my clothes yeah?

Clothes, definitely. You don't EVER want a frag at the gym, you'll kill everyone else

Right? They're fucking insane. I feel like they're trying to appeal to the broadest possible audience with them in the vaguest possible terms of how people could find the fragrance enjoyable, but it just winds up a bizarre collage of sexual imagery and people wearing stupid outfits looking angsty

I bet they could get away with much less bizarre commercials that informed people more for a fraction of the cost and lower their goddamn prices

I had better luck with the body oil than with the actual perfume in terms of how it lasts. Then again, Tom Ford fragrances are either hit or miss for me with the best one being Orchid Soleil (it surpassed all of my expectations and was oddly a boy magnet) and the worst one being White Patchouli. I just realized that those two aren't from the private blends.

I'm a 22 year old male. I know it's technically a unisex fragrance but it definitely smells more feminine leaning so I'm not surprised

They're selling a fantasy. They want you to think "hey, Chris Pine wears this shit and totally bangs tons of super hots chicks, so if I wear this, I'll be like Chris Pine". It's the same shit Axe does with their "if you wear our shit, you'll totally get laid guaranteed, bruh!" shit, just trying to be a little more high brow about it.

You'd think that would be way too transparent to work, but your average person actually is stupid enough to buy into that. Look how well Axe and Old Spice sell solely on the the strength of their promise of pussy. Fuck, like half the dudes who ask for recs here are asking for something that will make grills want to fuck them.

Isn't that kind of the whole purpose of perfume

to be fair, Old spice commercials are quite funny and over the top.

It's also about conditioning people. You see the commercial of a well groomed guy in a suit, you hear the brand name. You see the commercial again, again and again. At one point you will just naturally associate the brand name with upscale products. I personally believe the commercials are there to 1) make you aware that this new product exists and 2) represent the brand.

I suppose for some people.

Yeah, Old Spice is much less guilty than Axe, but they've definitely played the "our product will get you laid" card as well.

Does Dylan blue perform as well as eros? Also is it worth picking up?

i want to try cdg Kyoto and floriental, is there anything else i should try while I'm at it?

I want to smell like reddit

dior suavage and b.o.

*Aventus and B.O.

I'm glad you mention GPH2, I like what I've read on it and I actually already have a sample of it on the way. Weak projection might actually be a good thing too as I spend most of my daytime in class.

Oud wood also smells really great, but it's a tad expensive...
CH Men Privé, I just sampled that and man it smells so sexy, kind of like DH but with a much more masculine edge in place of the iris. Might look at getting a small bottle of that too. Thanks again.

Is this the heaviest 100ml out there? Holy god this thing weighs a ton for something with such a small cap.

GPH2 is deceptive, be sure to try it on your skin. Was in Sephora today and tried it on paper, loved it to death, but then put it on my skin and let it develop for a while and when the top notes faded it left this super stinky, sort of arabic spicy smell that I hated. You may like it, but I think it almost got to B.O. territory

I wanna smell like this music video, rec me pls

youtu.be/cJRP3LRcUFg

youtube.com/watch?v=jtH4JBjVlyQ

I actually worked on that commercial. Over the course of three days we sent no fewer than 5 girls to the hospital for twisted ankles/knees running over uneven terrain and hypothermia from our asshole AD making the girls stay in 60ºF water for longer than necessary while he was in a down parka drinking hot tea by a propane heater.

what a cringey commercial

speaking of GpHII
I have joked that you could easily kill someone with that bottle

maybe just the bad skin reaction meme since i get nothing but heavenly comfort out of it

Met the nicest dude at Saks, gave me 3 vials of By Kilian without me even asking. Are any of these any good? I got Vodka on the Rocks, Straight to Heaven and Moonlight in Heaven.

See, I get that too, but only after I scrubbed off what I could and there was like 30% of the scent left. Maybe it's just stronger on my skin, I'll try it on my clothes and see what happens.

What is a good mature clubbing fragrance? I want something that smells alluring and performs well without smelling like a candy bar.

Thierry Mugler Pure Malt. Warm, spicy and mature while also being noticeable. Aventus, as cliche as it sounds, makes a great clubbing fragrance too due to its piercing, attention grabbing nature. VPH could also work if you use a lot.

That's pretty much how I picture the guy who made that commercial, except he's wearing a sideways trucker hat and instead of tea he's drinking Grey Goose.

I'm not a fan of By Kilian, personally. I've tried Back to Black, Black Phantom, Straight to Heaven, and several others I can't recall off the top of my head, and while they're nice scents, I wasn't blown away by anything.

I don't think it's a bad house, but for the prices they charge, I'd expect far more. I feel like they're charging high-end niche prices for good but not great scents in fancy packaging. Just my opinion.

Just tried them on paper, Vodka on the Rocks smells like rubbing alcohol, then nothing, straight to heaven is kind of weird and Moonlight in Heaven is nice, but more like 70-dollar-and-even-then-I-wouldn't-buy-it nice.

...Damn, I wish he had given me samples of the bonds, they were cool.

Slightly different topic but anyone here interested in incense sticks? I really like the idea of having my place smell like something specific and trying out different stuff. Was thinking of getting sandalwood sticks first.

I wouldnt wear moonlight in heaven, but vodka on the rocks is very wearable. Straight to heaven is kinda out there and boarder lines being a vibe so I would be a little hesitant to wear it around younger girls if you were going out for the first time. But that being said I find it to be a deceptively good compliment getter.

I think in general though by kilian has a lot of potentially wearable and nice smelling things, again its just the price is pretty out there unless you love the smell or are into the novelty of fragrances in general if you will.

Yeah, Straight to Heaven is an odd one. It's got rum and vanilla as the main notes, the extreme version supposedly has a double dose, and it doesn't smell like rum or vanilla at all. Smells like dry citrus and wood to me.

Exactly as I said, they feel like mid-range scents packaged and sold as luxury scents. I'd probably grab a few of their frags at designer prices, but at 250.00+ a bottle, no way.

i remember seeing it in real life once and for some reason i never really appreciated how big the cap was until then, not even the whole bottle, just the massive fucking cap

is it a particular note that turns you off or is it the whole deal?

who pls come thru ya boy needs to cop some noir de noir
anyways
plum japonais reminds me of old asian ladies
soleil blanc is sunscreen and cocoa butter lotion
sorry not sorry my sister owns Soleil blanc and I'm tired of it

you can't beat #1 (old formula though)

I'm just now starting to get into fragrances. What are some nice versatile starters?

Versace Pour Homme for an energetic, fresh scent that really invigorates you. Dior Sauvage for a fresh, woody, masculine scent that gets compliments. Mugler Cologne, for when you want to smell amazing and clean but don't want to smell like you have a fragrance on (basically smells like the best soap ever)

ysl l'homme is pretty untouchable in the starter category, guy above me has some solid picks too, be warned that hes not joking and mugler cologne smells exactly like a bar of irish spring soap so if soap isnt your thing stay away

please

So nobody here owns Dylan blue?

My man! I fell in love with a recent formulation, so it's still good, but the old juice just goes up to 11.