Watch thread /wt/

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

Old thread:

Sup

1/2

Meme watch/2

Just bought this, waiting for it to come in the mail

My new Seiko 5

I got this watch from my grandfather earlier this year.
Know shit about watches, but would it make good job watch?

moto 360: daily
gshock: /out/
relic: out of town
seiko/citizen: dinner

Dark Brown leather with light face or Gold and Silver watch band with dark face?

Is that a decent watch?

i have no clue about higher class watch manufacturers. Is this a decent buy? It´s 479€ and would be my first higher class watch. Is this a decent manufacturer?

Expensive Seiko? But it also lose the new look after some years like a cheaper watch.

What model is this?

I'd say there is no reason to go over $300 for a watch.
Get either a Seiko that will do the job, or get some sweet swiss that goes over the $1000 if you want to show off.

Also, that is a 'dressy' watch. Are you always dressed for that? Since you can't wear it with anything short of business casual.

You mean seiko thread op?

working as a dentist, so i´m not dressed in a suit but i need to appear frormal. The diver watch type of things just don´t suit me, so i don´t see any alternative to these dressy watch. Could you recommend something?

Either this or a G-Shock. Help me out!

That is sick, id on that specific model?

what do we think of these

I really like it. I was planning to buy a Glashutte Original as well. They're a really classy brand, and they're not that noticeable like a huge gold rolex and stuff but people will recognise it's a nice watch.

Never heard of this brand before. It looks really ice - I like the hands.

So I have 6k for a watch. What's the best options

I just bought pic related used. Tudor and Sinn were some other options I considered. Maybe you would like the Omega Aqua Terra, or a Speedmaster is always a safe bet. JLC is an excellent brand for dressier watches, if you stick to their simpler watches in steel then $6k can get you a Reverso or something. Grand Seiko is excellent, too.

Thanks, just sold some real estate so looking to treat myself.

Citizen looks nice, I have this citizen corso.

what is a good all round girls watch that you can wear with everything and isn't expensive?

Nice watch sir

If you're not going to spend the money to buy a in house made watch I would stick with seiko or a citizen. Nothing against the watch you posed I'm just saying they make the best quality watches for that price range.

I like trains

My nigger. You will be underappreciated in this thread of plebes.

My autism won't let me get anything but the stop2go model though. It's the nontraditional pause at every hour that makes this design, IMO.

Mondaine isn't a powerhouse of mechanical movements so it's not a drawback that it's HAQ in my view. Anyway, love the Bauhaus.

>Is this a decent buy? It´s 479€

Fredrique Constant is not a real famous watchmaker, it's just adopting the style of them (looks like Patek in this case). It's not a replica maker, it's its own thing, but it's not prestigious at all. Will anyone care? Only watch people will care.

But maybe YOU care. And you should be happy about the watch if you plunk down ~500 EUR. First of all realize they drop immensely in the second hand market. It's not an "investment" at all. But, use that. Buy yours second hand and it'll hurt less.

If you can stretch to 1000 EUR you can find vintage watches from bigger names within reach. Check out the listings on chrono24 to get an idea if you're interested.

Great choice with a very uncommon sub dial and askew date window. Very cool.

Model is: SSA291

does anyone know where I can try to find a discontinued Seiko for retail. I know some people who email some Japanese sellers who locate watches that were never sold and sell it for retail and not the inflated price.

Fuckin' sweet dude. I want to buy their wall clock, but it's a bit pricey for a quartz wall clock.

Those are very different watches that I wouldn't always want to wear in the same scenarios.

I've wanted this watch ever since I came to Veeky Forums. Thing is, no one sells this watch. Not on Ebay (not in this exact style), not on amazon, not even the retailer doesn't sell them.

I figure the next best thing is to find something similar.

Any suggestions?

Hey user, Long Island Watch (great store) lists that watch, but it's out of stock. Might be worth an email to them or setting up an alert for when it comes in stock.

www.longislandwatch.com/Orient_EV0S005W_Dress_Watch_p/ev0s005w.htm

Waiting for this one to arrive. God.. I fucking love Seiko.

I like it. I only have my Moto 360 in leather, but I do like that band.

Some of mines

I like the Lorus Mickey Mouse one best.
such a nice and affordable watch.

Just grabbed this. Needed something slim and casual.

Can't afford a Christopher Ward just yet so went for what I feel is the next best thing.

nice bait

love these!

pic related is cheaper and since it's Lorus it's probably better quality as well. when falling for the meme, fall for it the right way.

Both are shitters anyway

Oh, that's what meant.

Well, I tend to make mistakes and probably should have asked Veeky Forums's advice first. I'll know for next time, cheers user.

Guys is this the nicest cheap as fuck field watch on the market right now?
Around 50 shekels for a Seiko movement, classic design, and 100m water resistance.
Is there any reason not to cop this as a summer outdoor watch? Are there any alternatives to this one?

They're $5 watches.
You can just buy them from a chinese manufacturer with the logo and everything.
Really should've asked first.

Why not just go for a Timex if you like the style?

Loud ticking, they're not suitable for swimming, and the last Timex I had fell apart after a year.
Mostly the water resistance though.

no problem, dude.
maybe you can still get one if you want to later or even replace it.
different colors and such too. but yeah, Lorus is always nice because it's a Seiko brand and one of the most affordable entry level brands. this one has a second hand too whereas the DW one doesn't.

>Is there any reason not to cop this as a summer outdoor watch?

nope. great watch.

>Are there any alternatives to this one?
sure, but Lorus/Pulsar/Seiko and such would still be better. I saw a nice Casio field watch (it's plastic however) too and some Citizen ones. But Lorus is great because most have 100m WR whereas most other brands don't. I see this all the time when I browse for new watches on amazon.

this is kind of a bad post because you didn't even say that these fakes are from aliexpress.
(not speaking about Lorus ones in case anybody is wondering, just the DW fakes that Veeky Forums is talking about sometimes.)

YES

Just got this for $10 since another user on here suggested it. Thinking of taking it back since it feels a bit small. Thoughts?

Literally no point in owning a watch if your wrist is smaller than 8" buddy boyo
just fucking :cage: at these gracile wristcel subhumans

They're supposed to be small. I mean this in the friendliest way, but if you're fat it won't look good, just make you look bigger.

Anyone know any good grey market places for Nomos?

I'll sell you a 35mm Orion

Thoughts on this?

know your wrist size and know what case diameter you want before buying something. seriously, shit is important. case depth is important too unless you wanna wear a 15mm thick "clock tower".

Good shit to know. As you can already tell Im new at the whole watch thing so I guess Im glad I fucked up early(even though it seems like I put no effort into researching).

Question:

I want a dress watch that is not too flashy and not too cheap looking but I do not have much to spend.

I have a nice Orient, which goes well to my clothes, but I want something more elegant.

And I want it to be a Seiko 5. I thought about pic related with a nice dark brown, high quality leather strap. I can buy it on amazon for 70 euros and would budget in the same amount for a leather strap.

Has anyone any experience with this particular model? Would you recommend it?

Seiko SNXG47K

I'm personally not a fan of putting a strap on a watch with that case shape, since it's designed to mate neatly onto a bracelet. Most real dress watches will have thinner and straighter lugs instead of that sculpted Oyster style. As far as the watch itself, every Seiko 5 has the same movement and they're basically the same quality. It should be a good value for the money and look good, if that's the style you want then go for it. I used to have a different Seiko 5 and it was nice enough.

See pic related for what I mean about dress watch lugs. Also this watch is on a Hirsch strap, I think if I remember right it was like $50 or so and it looks great.

That is one point that really annoys me, too. I understand they target the market with those metal bracelets, but they could make it a little easier to exchange it to leather and still have it look natural.

btw, love that vintage omega. there is one store that sells those near where I live, I always walk past. but thats to expensive for now...

Picked up one of these beauties finally.

personally, I hate square watches. can't fw them

I don't blame you. I find most square not that attractive, but overall the watch is beautiful.

Where to buy Orient watches if you live in Norway? Want pic related, but can't find any site that ships here...

so excuse me for being unoriginal but I'm thinking of getting a 16610
I just can't get over the new 116610 and while I'm sure the cerachrom is great and all it just looks too bulky
form(16610)>function(116610)?

Bang for the buck, I would go for the pre-ceramic

www.schoeneuhren.de/en/
9 euros for shipping to Norway.

The site is legit, despite low prices and cheap design.

Any recommendations for brands that have good automatic movements? Budget is $600 and below. I only have a Timex Weekender and a Seiko SSC081P1 that I alternate between. They are good watches but they do have their flaws, notably both are quartz and the Timex has a fairly loud tick.

Is G-Shock the best all black "tactical" watch?

I need something in all black or dark green for my uniform to stay in regulation. Something that won't just die with a little bit of rough and tumble during exercises.

I've got one of those cheapo Casios right now, but wanted something I could maybe wear in civilians as well without looking like a retarded JRTOC fag.

depends on what you want out of it desu senpai

g-shocks are without competition in terms of functionality-robustness-cost

to the user who order this watch how did it turn out?

I felt the same way about the 114270 vs the 214270. I bought a used 114270 and I don't regret it at all, so I would say go for the old Sub if you like it better. Rolex is really shitting up their classic designs these days, sure it's cool that there's lots of high tech materials and little upgrades in the latest models but that doesn't matter if the watch is ugly and oversized.

Thinking about buying a LIP Baschmakoff as its once of the most unique designs I've ever seen, they usually run around 1.5k. thoughts?

if you want a classy g-shock you can usually get the one with solar/barometric pressure/ altitude and world clock features for a few hundred

These three are the predominant "tactical" watches I see people wearing, if you want a military style look, other brands are 5.11 and blackhawk, but I have not see nthem function very well (straps breaking off etc.)

is this a nice custom watch?

Cringewatch

Thanks man, appreciate it

How much is not too much to spend?

Rate my fat wrist

Watch feels too small for you, get something with a bigger diameter

I want one of those so badly but I just bought a Junghans Chronoscope

Based/10.

t. fat man

Veeky Forums is an alphashark strap worth the extra sheckles? It'll be my first strap I paid more than $10 for.

It's Sunday, bro

And it was Wednesday when I purchased it and posted that, bro.
>still waiting though...

What are you wearing today?

What the fuck is this? So the "esh" and the apple are on the day and date wheels, so do they change to something different every day?

Yeah pretty much

What the kek, I want to see them all

this is probably the best Swatch because it has no seconds hand and there for can't tick as loudly as all the other models. smart pick. too bad I really don't like this design.

you paid money for this?