>hoodies on people who make above minimum wage
>pastels
>"please r8 my converses guys are these shoes ok?"
>jordans
>JORDANS
>"whats the best pair of w h i t e s n e a k e r s"
>nikes
>band tees

jesus fucking christ guys Its been like 3 years but it feels like I havent left a day thats how unoriginal you guys are. Is it just summer? is it usually like this?

>protip: if you argue against this you're retarded

Other urls found in this thread:

system-magazine.com/issue8/miuccia-prada-raf-simons/
www86.zippyshare.com/v/CDfpz7vc/file.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

you seem like a very opinionated man, and i like you for that.

thankyou, people without opinions are only pushovers

The board still consists of a handful of oldfags and is 99% underage b&
It has brief moments where the threads are comfy and the tv, p, and soc crossposters are either behaving or gone, and some real discussion/roasting goes on for about three days
Then back to four months of garbage

I just wish there was a more active j*nitor

Summer here is fucking incredible. Veeky Forums is even more canserous than /b/

I mean, I know they do it for free, but this is a slow board and off topic threads ruin the small amount of discussion we have

is it just me or do people not get banned for things anymore
I miss 2010 ;(

I used to report a lot but stopped caring (now I just hide threads that I don't care about). And apparently people did get banned, cuz they've come back and bitched about it lol

What are your thoughts on the sleazecore movement

Mostly niggers and wiggers on this board now

it's stupid like Hitler youth core and palewave and slavcore and lunarcore were but you do you

It seems like it's a lot of kids maxing out daddy's credit card on pricey memes. But nobody really knows how to dress themselves if the WAYWT threads are any indication.

Im gonna be honest this is the first im hearing of it but after a look in the archives I can tell you I love it. This is basically the style Ive been wearing the past year (cept' im less hawiian shirt and more floral print button up) and Im gonna be wearing a little more when it comes into summer in my country.

Never called it sleazecore though, I always thought of it as 'Jimi Hendrix attends a job interview', but either way it still captures 70's 80's funk-ness. As long as it's original and it says something I'll be down for it

OP here

not this guy

Why would anybody be Cosmo when you can be Georgie
I never understood it

Just for interest, what do you wear OP?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with bomber jackets

I wear a very mixed bag. somedays I wear my yellow fishermans jacket with black pants and other days I wear a sports coat and chinos. I wear a lot of vintage clothes, too, mostly 70s stuff (vietnam and otherwise). some of my stuff is military inspired, some of it is working class kind of stuff. I will confess I do sometimes wear s t r e e t w(etc.) to parties and to the city and places like that but I always follow a formula; pick a unique item and then wear basic shit after it that people will recognise so it looks like you know what youre doing. I've honestly found this the best way to wear cool stuff I thrift- wear a 4X oversized jacket but with an adidas beanie and you will get endless compliments.
I suppose what I was really getting at was how 'pleb' they are; I pass 50 a day and they seem kind of uninteresting to me. I do own an 80s suede black bomber my grandad gave to me but if I wear it I make damn sure im either wearing something that sets it off or im not going anywhere important.

Those with the most opinions usually have the least user.

oh but I do

Fashion week is going on and there are not threads about the runways. Not that the majority of people here have anything to say about it or are able to motivate their opinions. I've argued it's because of a lack of knowledge, but now I think it has more to do with interest. Those threads get archived very quickly. There are in general very few threads about fashion as an art or as a business? It feels very lonely here, I find it difficult to talk to someone in honesty and I refuse to jump ship.

We have these meta threads weekly for the last years and I haven't seen a whole lot of improvement. Both mods and userbase are fucking up and one man can't make the difference. You might as well make this a general and call it /complain/. I doubt they would get deleted, like they do on /v/. I can't wait for the results of the 2017 survey coming in.

don't forget the watch threads
>300 $100 seiko's, $20 timex's, and casio's
>maybe 2 nice, real watches worth putting on your wrist in the entire thread
t. every single fucking watch thread

/fa was cancer before summer came.

I'm not interested in runway shows, just ready to wear pieces
I read about them from fashion writers and am always very underwhelmed when I actually see the shows

thats sad :( I think it might also have something to do with the temporary (generally) userbase. I feel like because this board is more for advice and input once youve developed your own style you dont need it anymore. that was how it was in my case anyways. so naturally, youre stuck with a board full of kids/clueless people.
worst part is watches all look so similar you only need like 4 different kinds:
~gold watch
~silver watch
~black watch
~watch with removable straps so you can have leather, nato and rubber
digital if you want to but I think thats an extravagance. much like my comment on the "what white sneakers should I buy" questions I feel like theyre questions that really only have 1 answer and dont need multiple threads.

people like you are the problem, with your fucking emotes and inability to green text
fuck off back to tumblr you 16 year old slag and stop posturing about your proclivity for fashion because i'm sure you have about as much knowledge about fashion as my nan does about the wonders of trap music

dude alright calm down ill stop trashing bombers

bombers suck unless you're matching with a toddler

>4 door wrangler
why am I not surprised

Personally I'd love a land cruiser 70, but you can't import them to America

Why did you leave Veeky Forums back then? Where did you go instead and how can I find a place to talk and learn about fashion outside Veeky Forums and reddit?

Why are you underwhelmed?

And there's little room for people who want to go further. There's the /diy/ general I participate in, but not anybody wants or can make their own clothes and a general is always a bit isolated from the rest of the board.
ಥ﹏ಥ

Did you use internet explorer to post this or why is this post 2 years too late?

cuz the models always look like walking gimmicks and the clothes are literally falling apart as they move
It's all so overhyped

I left because I felt I didnt need it anymore. I understand completely all kinds of theory and styles so a place like Veeky Forums only served to show off what I was wearing, but I dont really dig that. nowadays I only talk to my friends about fashion and occasionally styleforum.com. the only other site I use is the sartorialist and even then its only for inspo. my best advice would be to watch fashion shows, documentaries, tv shows (yes even the ones about dresses) and go to bookstores or libraries and read LOTS. eventually I think youll find, is that one day your clothes will do the talking for you.
I understand that totally. also /diy/ is one of the only generals I like on this board. do you have an etsy?
well I mean, fashion shows are first and foremost supposed to be interesting, its a SHOW and not a catalogue. as for the clothes falling apart I cant speak too much however its also important to remember that each piece of clothing is one-of-a-kind and not meant for sale, so maybe quality isnt that important.

thx bby

it's just not interesting to me, at all
I'll read everything that gets published in the fashion magazines I like, but I just don't like runway stuff.

Holy shit that's a total ripoff of Rob Dobi's art

fair enough. where else do you see stuff other than magazines?

Well new York Times writes about fashion all the time and I read everything from there
And from their lifestyle magazine, T Magazine (interviews, biographies, critiques, no artforum-y bullshit)
Atlantic and new Yorker also write about designers and men's fashion occasionally
Plus whatever I can read about the fashion industry from their trade magazines. I'm interested in the business side in part because shills on Veeky Forums keep making up crap about how great Adidas is doing which is a lie lol

nice, I like that magazines and articles are always up-to-date on release. also, could you explain what you mean by adidas not doing so good? I see it so often im curious

>first thing that comes to mind is bomber jackets
you're the problem

So if you look at the articles that people generally post on Veeky Forums about Adidas' recent jump in the marketplace, they usually fail to mention that Adidas' growth is only relevant if you conveniently forget how much of the market share they've lost over the years from horrible ideas (giving Jeremy Scott work, for example) and flops, particularly in their running line.

Nike sells probably 20x as many sneakers and they have their drop calendar down to a science, but whenever Complex releases an article saying that Adidas is growing, people here assume that means they'll ever compete with Nike or under armour

Adidas is my favorite brand but they have been dogshit up until the ultra boost came out. They had to sell their golf business, they lost the nba shirt sponsorship and had to take NHL in return, and I'm guessing they're gonna lose mls just like they've lost a bunch of awesome college and European soccer teams. They're jumbling everything around so that complex won't be able to say that they're losing market share in their next quarter, but it's a lie. And once the Kanye interest dries up (with their inevitable non-limited release) people here will move on to the next brand

every fashion forum dies because of big egos and 'banter'
see : every era of Veeky Forums, sufu et al

until internet fashion stops attracting cunts then a good forum will never exist

do you think adidas will ever return to its sport-oriented roots?

And away from streetwear?
If the new German-made running shoes take off, people will be talking about their athletic innovations again instead of the 12 year old Instagram celebrities who wear NMDs

what a world that would be

I'm a big fan of 70s-90s athletic attire and have always appreciated Adidas for putting out a lot of retros
Wish Nike would do a line of American made nylon Cortez's....such a classic shoe

What pre 2014 fa was about before going complete dogshit, what kind of topic was formed and did it had fashion weeks talk? From what I understand there were experimental for cores.

check the archive you stupid cunt
2013 - 2014 was the golden age of internet fashion not just for Veeky Forums but for all the forums then the communities turned toxic because everyone was trying to one up each other because people actually knew their shit so it turned into a competition instead of people jerking each other off because they can only afford the same 5 pairs of shoes

Post WAYWT fits you think that's best from your era

I don't have any saved and i'm not going to browse the archive because I was there when it happened
Just go look through the archive yourself you spastic, how hard is it to type waywt and 2013/2014

Runway shows are almost all ready to wear unless designated things like "couture" or "bridal" its why when you go look them up on vogue or whatever website you choose it says "mens fashion week paris ss2016 ready to wear" or something

>i like editorials but not runways

Makes me ask what fashion magazines are you looking at?

Fashion forums didn't die because of egos or banter mate, forums are irrelevant and dying everywhere. there are way better ways to get your e-peen sucked.
I attribute the death of fashion forums specifically to instagram though

2014 fa was pretty bad dude, its weird there was this massive exodus of the good fa posters moving to sufu just after new years 2013 effectively killing fa, and then sufu did alright for 2014 i believe(i didn't really check sufu back then) then what the waywt threas just died one year? 2016 was is? Had like a tiny fraction of posts compared to the 3 years before it

early 2014 Veeky Forums was fine, idk why it died so quickly after summer though
m8 sufu was fine until the community became ebin bantz which turned into doxxing and shit, now look at it

Fatties can't be effay

i will never comprehend how dare a fatty uggo like sieg the right to have an opinion on anything

on an on topic note, i think most people treat this board as just another social media platform where they can say 'nigger' and be edgy. they arent really looking to be educated regarding fashion, they just want some yous. like the other user said, instagram/faecbook/tumblr w/e ruined a lot of the crows

It's his preference for fucks sake

I honestly think its underage people. there seems to be quite an influx of them recently and they aren't getting banned despite being stupid enough to say their age.

>implying people like you aren't also the problem with your ability to only be vitriolic and bash others for their taste in something so subjective as fashion

I'd like to see models interacting with the audience and hearing their opinion about the clothes they are wearing. But the custom is that models are stoic walking canvas. A custom I don't know the origin of.

No etsy.

hang yourself you sensitive little fairy
if by some chance you survive then do not post again until you've read a few books and actually own one piece of designer clothing that isn't shit, then and only then will your 'subjective' taste be worth considering

Veeky Forums is shit last 3 years imo
it had a sort of unique style back then

See what i'm saying? Amazing how predictable this board can be

and it's amazing how people such as yourself think your opinion and '''''''subjective'''''' taste means something, people like you are what ruined this board

the thing is, taste is subjective but there are objective things in art. You listen to music and mozart is objectivly a better composer than justin bieber but you can still like bieber more. If you did recognise why mozart was good and could explain why he was but why you preferred bieber in technical terms with a bit of passion dropped in the mix then your taste would be truly subjective and worth regarding.

Now lets put this in terms of fashion. If you hate rick owens but only wear mall-core stuff and can't explain why you dislike rick, have never read about rick, seen rick clothes in person or watched a runway show and adamantly refuse to discuss it because you think it's ugly without opening your mind towards the avant-garde then you're a dumb cunt who's 'taste' doesn't really exist. It's still 'subjective' but your opinion isn't worth a fucking thing.

This is why fashion forums are dying. People are either stupid cunts such as yourself who know fuck all or elitist dickheads like myself who know a ton but refuse to talk about it because no one likes talking to people like me or idiots like you.

Then the knowledable people leave to do their own thing and come here just to shitpost, the stupid cunts such as yourself take over the board as there are more spastics than intelligent people in the world and then the board is lost. Enjoy your utter lack of threads about fashion, can't wait till jap moot remains this board 'clothes'

Well you have a point and are self aware, you got me, congratulations

Where can you find information about company growth etc. besides the financial part of the newspaper. The Chamber of Commerce?

>fashion
>subjective

Yeah dude i guess culture is just like your opinion
Like the other guy said you're probably 16 and probably don't own any designer thats worth anything
Fuck Veeky Forums is so clueless sometimes

holy fuck OP this is spot on for me but like 2 years ago

Alex Turner and Miles Kane were dressing this way when their latest album came out, I copied it, and came back to Veeky Forums after a long hiatus; and its here. weird how the world works to the human mind.

Youre right that theyre are obective things in art
And there are objective things in fashion

But fashion isnt an art
It has artistic qualities for sure but,
Its also a lot more temporary and more intristically linked to culture, i.e. its a little bit easier for art to exist outside prevailing culture than it is for fashion.

Think of van gogh's posthumous praise, this doesn't and really can't happen to fashion

However you're bang on when it comes to the state of fashion forums and in general fashion on the internet
The democrazation of fashion has been a great equalizer i mean ive learned stuff sitting at home that 10 years ago i wouldnt have even had a chance to without significant money/time invested

There is an interview with miuccuia prada and raf simons from earlier this year that addresses this really poignantly ill link it if i can find it again seems up your alley

system-magazine.com/issue8/miuccia-prada-raf-simons/

Pretty much explains internet fashion and why its shit

>But fashion isnt an art
yikes
Will read that link though

>until you've read a few books
>own one piece of designer clothing
Meh, people shouldn't have to own expensive shit and have read books to be able to post.
Far to high standards, but I get where you're coming from. I'll just assume it's just hyperbole.

>but there are objective things in art
What in art is objective?
I mean, there are certain "features" or "axioms" we can think of as universal in specific art fields.
But that doesn't make it objective, it's still subjective but more universal.
It's a good way to filter good from bad, and you avoid having to repeat your argument all the time, but it's still subjective.

>If you hate rick owens but only wear mall-core stuff and can't explain why you dislike rick
>It's still 'subjective' but your opinion isn't worth a fucking thing
This I agree with, and most of the rest post which I won't quote.

Fashion and art are similar and related but, fashion is not art, name me one fashion designer who considers themselves an artist.
Architecture,furniture desgn and product design are the same way Frank Lloyd Wright isnt an artist,Charles-Édouard Jeanneret isn't and neither is Deiter Rams all incredibly creative and artistically inclined but, certainly not artists

The reading a few books is more about being generally educated about the field not literally "lol read this and you'll be qualified to talk about fashion" and yeah i agree you don't "need" to own designer but, if you havent at least worked with or handledd quality clothing(i think generally what people mean when they say "designer clothing"
)

I disagree, and you don't need to consider yourself an artist to be one. Art is materialised emotion, to be an artist is to be skilled in making emotion and ideology tangible.

I would say 'style' is a vauge arbitrary concept that now means 'uniform' , 'clothes' are artificial skin but fashion, fashion is art on a human canvas, painted with fabric and is most certaintly worthy of being called art.

And no, you don't need to own designer clothing to be able to participate in it's discussion but reading and watching costs nothing especially in the internet age. I was obviously not adding such a ridiculous caveat to the argument but lets face it, owning items you love that happen to be designer are almost crucial to your ability to discuss fashion as like I said, fashion is emotion made tangible and you can't channel real thought about it without a catalyst.

Saw this on JSTOR
www86.zippyshare.com/v/CDfpz7vc/file.html

interesting, will give this a read

Well yeah dressing well is required to being taken seriously in fashion you can have all the knowledge but if you cant apply it, then its worthless hence why designer clothes tend to be the benchmark

Also we can agree to disagree on whether fashion is art but it is pertinent to mention that no designer worth their ilk believes fashion to be art and many actively deny fashion being art notably kawukabo,jean paul gaultier, and yohji yamamoto

Also pertinent to mention helmut lang became a fashion designer because he felt he wasnt good enough to enter the world of art because he held it such high regard

Slightly meta

Decent discussion being had in this thread, very pleased and pleasently suprised

Can it depend on whether you make clothes for your own use or as a business?

idk the whole it's not art because I say it's not (in regards to the designers denouncing it being labelled as such) thing doesn't ring true to me. it's like how Lynch said he became a film maker to watch his paintings move.

Every shot in the film is designed to be like a painting and follows almost the same rules of aesthetics and you could pause the film and hang your favorite shot on your wall if you were so inclined. It'd serve the same purpose as a painting but wouldn't be 'technically' which is what brings me onto the crux of my argument which would be, it may not be 'technically' art but you can apply loose definitions to anything.

You can mess around with terminology, throw words around as flippantly or strictly as you choose, value and devalue the sanctity of said words but at the end of the day, art is what you make it. The pervasive postmodern ideology that permeates the human race intensely as of the millennium may be responsible for it and I may be spouting blasphemous nonsense to those who both live in and have built the chapel, saying the word art when I should be substituting it for another weaker word but if you ask me the only word fit to describe fashion is art, so i'll use it to describe it whenever, forever.

Making clothes for your own personal use =/= fashion

Fashion is clothes + cultural context

I mean sure hypothetically maybe but it would depend on the case and i don't think theres anyone currently doing that who is worth noting

The few people who have done that almost always end up making and selling clothes anyways

I guess the closest to that would be ccp and geoffry b small because of how small scale their work is but even then ccp only does "clothing objects" and gbs considers himself a tailor

Intresting point nontheless

Ironically i think its post modernism that makes people conflate art and fashion imo

I think the big 2 distinctions for me is
Fashion is primarily a commerce industry art is not
Fashion cannot exist outside culture whereas art can

WAYWT threads are just a refuge for r/mfa and r/streetwear if you haven't noticed already, only 2 guys that post there are actually Veeky Forums.
Avoid those threads and you are good to go. Inspo threads are ok, /diy/ is god tier lately, fuccboi is comfy, w2c and c/n threads are also good. Hair generals are garbage.

Dav posts infrequently and no one else dresses well

Not sure who you're talking about desu

fashion =/= clothes
Clothes are made for money, have fun trying to buy runway stuff though and even if you can find it (I think someone is selling a Thom Browne animal mask on grailed for like 5k lol) they aren't made to be sold so it kinda invalidates that point of yours about commerce not being art as the 'fashion' I talk about (runway shows, amazing one of pieces, proof of concept exhibitions etc) is clearly not a part of that world. I get what you mean though, nice to see some high IQ posters for once.

Some chinese looking guy and the other is a fag looking kid. Those are the only two posters who dress well from the last time I was in WAYWT threads. An honorable mention is the full memerick retard

I own dozens of runway pieces and yes sure there are concepts and objects on runways not really meant for public consumption (i mean yohji almost bankrupted himself by refusing to compromise on his vision vs what sells) like that mask but the overwhelming majority of runway collections are meant to be worn and meant to be bought if they weren't designers would not make any money and go out of buissness hence why i said "primarily" and not solely

And yeah fashion =/= clothes

Its kinda annoying how few people realize that i know mcqueen used to say "lol its only clothes" but even he knew the cultural significance of this stuff

so if fashion isn't subjective then what is it? You can't have a personal taste on how you wear your shit now?

trade papers, senpai
there are magazines devoted to the business side of the fashion industry (and the advertising side, which is fucking fascinating) and it's where insiders talk shop
the raw data is available but at a cost, since you could technically use the information to find new trends in the market

>Well yeah dressing well is required to being taken seriously in fashion
Wrong

I don't see how that equation can not apply to some of the people in the /diy/ thread, but a better question to start off how can art stand outside culture and fashion can't. What do you mean with cultural context? What's your definition?

Have other art forms not grown to become depended on commerce too? Art needs to sell to make a living. Art galleries are not only there to showcase paintings and sculptures, but to attract buyers. Some people consider comics as an art, and that has its origin in getting sold for a couple of cents at a newsstand. Where's the origin for fashion?

I'm sorry, I meant to ask: do you have any titles of those publications? Where can I find the raw data?

Oops wrong pic sorry guys