Muslims claim that all the prophets of Judaism and Christianity prayed like this. Any evidence of this...

Muslims claim that all the prophets of Judaism and Christianity prayed like this. Any evidence of this? Samaritan Jews pray similarly.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/dQRrbCO5Tpo?t=1m54s
youtu.be/DaEOsRX9IzQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Samaritan Jews praying at Mount Gerizim.

Some East Orthodox praying.

Cherrypicked as fuck. Nice try muzzo

>Samaritans

Wow those are some convincing arguments, thanks for the dawah.

That's not praying... even if that particular guy does it - his gesture is not in accordance with church laws and canons.

In orthodoxy when you do a full prostration you have to rise up very fast - that implies no lying on the ground.

Our priests pray standing up - and layman are invited and it's suggested in all prayer books to pray standing up - some saints say that even the bible should be read from standing up.

>Muslims claim that all the prophets of Judaism and Christianity prayed like this.
Who?

I'm just curious.
Well, if Samaritans are right, then they're an earlier, more preserved formed of Judaism.
Abraham through Moses and Jesus, I guess. That's their claim.

Yeah, it's not a common form of prayer/prostration but it is there. If Islam encountered and was influenced by Christianity it would have been the Orthodox strain.

>but it is there
Because people are casuals that visit church 2 times / year and are not educated in church catechism, tradition, behavior and so on.

I mean sure you could pray from any position - but when you discover that the position helps and the Holy Spirit thought saints how is the best way to do for us to benefit our souls and our everlasting reward - then there is no point in doing in any other way than the best way.

Again official Church prayer ( priest and layman together in Church ) never happens from the ground with your forehead on the ground.

How is praying with proper posture to the devil a good thing?

>That's their claim.
I mean "who is claiming this"? As far as I know there's no dogmatic claims as to the exact mechanics of how prophets before Muhammad prayed. IIRC, all that's said of it is that Gabriel (?) teaches him how to do it.

They all claim it's how Abraham prayed.

I think in this case you should check the Ethiopian Jews, as they have the the purest ideas and practices of Temple period judaism.

youtu.be/dQRrbCO5Tpo?t=1m54s
Ancient Christian prayer.

This is Proskynesis. Which basically abasing oneself. Its not done all the time.

Also it was developed from the the traditional Persian homage to their King of Kings. Greeks misinterpreted it as LEL DEY WORSHIP THEIR KINGS, ORIENTAL DESPOTISM :DDDDD (despite adopting it themselves and *literally* worshipping their Kings unlike the Persians) and eventually the act crept into Greek worship, especially in Seleucid/Ptolemaic lands.

It is far more likely that Muslims got it from the Persian gesture. Not the other way around.

I prefer to do pushups the normal way.

Matthew 26:39 - Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”

"And he (Jesus) went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed..."-(MATTHEW 26:39).

"And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship..."-(JOSHUA 5:14).

"And he (Elijah) cast himself down upon the earth, and put his face between his knees."-(1 KINGS 18:42).

"And they (Moses and Aaron) fell upon their faces..."-(NUMBERS 20:6).

"And Abraham fell on his face..."-(GENESIS 17:3).

cool fanfiction lad

This one hits me every time, because of what prompted it:

Job 1:20 Then Job arose, tore his robe, and shaved his head; and he fell to the ground and worshiped.

The western method of kneeling and putting your hands together is derived from a Roman gesture of submission.
The Oriental Orthodox tradition is to pray standing often with the palms turned up.
In Mark 11:25 Jesus instructs people on what to do when they stand to pray but he is also variously depicted kneeling, prostrating, and looking toward heaven throughout the different gospels.
Other forms of prayer are also mentioned in the Bible such as the instance where king David sits down to pray.

youtu.be/DaEOsRX9IzQ

Did the prayer system transfer from Buddhism (through Mani I believe) to Judeo-Christian system?

The monastic system did for sure.

Fascinating!

I don't think so but it is sometimes used for meditation, martial arts and I guess the more traditional Japanese still sit like that.

He's asking you to name one, because like him I've never heard this claim.

seiza was kinda a late development in Buddhism. the Lotus posture is more common

What's your source of this claim as i have never heard of this,and i'm a muslim.

this

cheers

>all the prophets of Judaism and Christianity prayed like this
>they all claim it's how abraham prayed
Muslim here. Never heard such thing.

Every time I try this it is so fucking uncomfortable.

Praying with your hands upturned like that is indeed the more traditional way to pray. I don't know about sitting on your legs while kneeling, though, that looks much to casual, it's how people sat down before chairs became common.

The canons states that Liturgy is be done standing up; this is a ruling choosing standing as opposed to doing the entire service kneeling, as many Christians did.

What this guy is doing (which doesn't look like it's even during Liturgy, and praying on your knees or other positions outside of Liturgy is normal, just not sitting down) isn't lying flat on his face (which of course you're right, it's something almost never done except briefly), he's on his hands and knees. Prayer like that has always existed in the Church. The reason you don't see it much, is because monks don't use it for super long term prayer (hours), since it is too easy to get drowsy, and the Church tends emulate monks.

this