Next week im opening up my own bar and im really excited

next week im opening up my own bar and im really excited

facebook com/Der-gro%C3%9Fe-Gatsby-1550649265225900

now someone nerd told me im not allowed to name it like that hahaha but is it true?

Nice name I'm assuming it means The Great Gatsby

Graphics are cool, what are yo doing different to any other bar, tell me you have some memes lined up...

ye its the german translation like the movie

u have to be 24 yrs old to enter this bar, instead of 18 in germany. its more expensive and looks better than the competition

You can't copyright a book or film title, if that's what you mean.

Looks classy just from that logo and coloring.
Although just calling it 'Gatsby' sounds better I think.

Less letters and shorter words is easier and seems more like a modern upscale bar to me.

I'm just thinking of all the places in the book 'American Psycho' - Dorsia, Arcadia, etc

When someone says the name of a bar with more than two words, it sounds a bit too homely, like someone is the manager and the cook.

You know, like 'The Bay Tree' or 'The Bearded Clam' instead of just 'The Ivy'

it looks pretty good, try to keep us updated regularly OP, I'll be reading those threads fo shure.
Btw would you mind talking about the investment you made and talking us through the process and costs. After all this is Veeky Forums so try to give some business discussion

Agreed, just call it 'Gatsby'.

In germany copyright of books expire 70 years after the autor died. Fitzgerald died in 1940, so i guess it's ok if you use name. Good look with your bar, i will visit when i'm in Mainz.

Prost und gute Nacht.

Also, i wouldn't call it 'Gatsby's' though, it seems dated, or like some family theme restaurant (Chochki's, Garfunkels, etc) or some 'last resort' late nightclub with a sticky floor and no decent beers.

The trend seems to be even less letters, 4 or 5.

This

Any considerations when opening a bar OP? Did you read any books or attend any classes or just going for it? Want to do the same so wondering if you had any info or tips?

I hate people who are not original

I hate people who idolize people/movies

I hate people

so op you got drunk on night with your friends and say "wee should totally own a bar"
and now you do
youre a madman

good luck and cheers

Prepare for getting sued my nigga.

you should call it "puzzles"

I like your idea OP. Make sure you have some awesome cocktails available. Have you hired employees yet?

how much did it cost to open?

user, I'm just going to put it out there that if you are opening a business and you havn't got legal advice yet you are setting yourself up for a big fall

not sure where you are, but my understanding is that copywrite extends to
words, phrases, brandnames,logo, artwork, graphic design
AND specifically includes provisions for anyhting that might reasonably give a consumer a false impression that two products or entities were related

so NIKE is a trademark, you can't make shirts with the NIKE logo

but you also can't make "MIKE" shirts if you are using the same font/arrangement, because it might confuse consumers

for this reason, translating a brand name in another language where the original exists is a textbook example of copy-rite infringement

looking at what you have there, it might be dangerous territory

you could probably have a "great Gatsby" bar, because the original context was a book and it's common knowledge

but paired with that image, you might find the grahic designer for "the great gatsby" film accusing you of stealing their design (which it looks like you more or less are)
and since it's worth money for them to do that, don't expect them not to care

I'm not a lawyer, but I covered some of this in a graphic design course I took, and again in high school legal studies way back

An acquaintance ran a bar in my city (London, Canada) and he named it Gatsby. A few months later he had lawyers at his door and he was forced to change the name. The details I'm not aware of, and it's presently called Belfort.

Look into it, it's funny that this thread popped up.

Bad idea for a name. You're automatically unappealing to people who don't like the book - which is a lot of germans from my experience.

>copywrite
>copy-rite

It's copyright.
I am a copywriter.
I do copywriting.

When writing copy, I have to make sure my copy avoids copyright issues.
If I copy somebody, I make sure I do it right.
I make sure I don't copy the copyright.

Anyway, it seems you may be confusing copyright with a trademark or service mark.

In this case, a restaurant is not a story or a movie or a stage play.

Having said that, if that image and/or font is from a book cover or such, then yes that could be a problem.

There is a Gatsby's restaurant in Windsor, Ontario, so that could be the issue.

They said Gatsby, not Gatsby's. Big difference.

I refuse to believe someone is this autistic.

Who's they?
You mean me?
I suggested Gatsby, then added that, as a caveat, I wouldn't call it Gatsby's.

What's autistic about his post?

Have a 1930's styled bar in my town, drinks are expensive, the insides are beautiful, with specially ordered leather couches, which makes the feeling like you traveled back in time, on the second floor there is a smokers floor, not a smoking room but a smokers room, , for like 50 people, with a bar and cigar shop.
Music is 30's-60's or modern swing and jazz mostly.
The name is just Chicago.
www.chicago(dot)ee/est/galerii/
So listen to this guy

jesus christ, you don't *explicitly* state people under 24 can't enter your bar, it will give the bar an air of pretentiousness without having actually earned it (theres a better way to say it in my language not sure about english)

if you build a reputation and create an 'ambience' that attracts people in your target demographic then people under that age will avoid it and will be shunned by your customers if they don't

i seriously suggest you re-evaluate this although i honestly think lawsuits won't be your biggest concern if you don't - you just won't make good business (or at least as good as you could have)

just my two cents

This is actually standard practice here in the UK.
Bars state their age for entry, and it is usually on a sign by the door.

It's becoming common for many bars to state over 21 or even over 24 only, despite 18 being the legal drinking age.

Why?
In part, it's not common for britbongs to carry ID, so staff have to judge by sight alone.
Well, it's hard to tell if someone is 17 or 18, (but usually easier to tell if someone is 17 or 21 / 24) and a large fine could be issued if they serve someone alcohol who is underage.

Some bars have just started using it as an excuse to keep out less mature customers (despite the fact you could be young but mature, or older and immature) - I'm not saying either approach is right, just that it's nor unusual here at least.

Yes, it was a bit frustrating when me (35+) and my brother (40+), both with graying hairs, got refused entry to a 'over 24 only' bar...by a bouncer who must have been 21 at best, but we won him over with patient, mature debate.

Even though I live in nrw I will visit your bar since I visit some friends in mainz. I'm excited!