Why is urban life so heavily romanticized? It seems awful to me. Loud, crowded, unhygienic...

Why is urban life so heavily romanticized? It seems awful to me. Loud, crowded, unhygienic...I don't understand why people want to live in a place like New York or Paris.

Cities are important economic cultural and historic centers

I can see you've done lots of life searching to come to this conclusion.

Don't forget to buy corporate products and pay taxes.

/thread.

>Loud, crowded
There you have it. Lots of people to socialize with and constant stimuli.
Of course it's going to be awful if you prefer calm.

Cities have many advantages that come with high population density, for most people these advantages outweigh the disadvantages. It's a simple cost/benefit analysis.

eg:

>better food
>better nightlife
>better access to goods and services of all kinds
>can get anything delivered
>good public transport (usually)
>more environmentally friendly
>more and higher paying jobs
>more access to art and culture

I understand that but why do people act like moving to the city is the best way to become happy? That's what I'm really confused about, is everyone who wants to live in the city just a hedonistic materialist searching for power and money?
Most of those things seem like they would vary from city to city. Hardly givens. Amazon delivers pretty much anywhere, anyway.
How could I forget to do either of those things?

>>better food
How?

People romanticize both urban and rural life.

Both lifestyles have their massive ups and downs.

For me the appeal is in the night life that cities offer and the wide variety of music available.
Literally browsing Veeky Forums just to waste time while trying to counteract the hangover for tomorrow

For example in my home village all you have is second rate pizzerias and kebab shops
In the city I am in now there's pretty much anything you would want

More competition means better quality restaurants, and wider selection too

>In the city I am in now there's pretty much anything you would want
You can cook for yourself, y'know. It's not like grocery stores that import food from around the world are confined to cities.
>Literally browsing Veeky Forums just to waste time while trying to counteract the hangover for tomorrow
What do you do to make money? How can you afford this lifestyle?

I'm not asking about rural life, though.

>You can cook for yourself, y'know. It's not like grocery stores that import food from around the world are confined to cities.
If that's what you wanna do. Eating out at a nice place with a large group of friends seems preferable to me. I live in a small shitty place though.
>What do you do to make money? How can you afford this lifestyle?
I'm getting money to study here. Previously I've worked and I'm going to work afterwards. It comes together to a sufficient amount, city life isn't obscenely expensive. At least not in a place like Brighton.

>Eating out at a nice place with a large group of friends seems preferable to me
Sounds like a great way to waste money, desu.
>I'm getting money to study here
Sounds like you're a waste of space, desu.

It looks like a really nice place user, cheers.

>Sounds like a great way to waste money, desu.
To each their own my man
>Sounds like you're a waste of space, desu.
Getting paid to basically go on vacation sounds great to me

>Getting paid to basically go on vacation sounds great to me
It sounds dishonest to me. Like I said, you're a waste of space. Where is the money coming from? Are taxpayers subsidizing your hangovers?

I love it, a lot of different clubs, barbecues on the beach, sociable people, etc. it's great. Good prices for students too, been getting good quality hair cuts for just 8 pounds and tequila shots at certain places like Casablanca are just 1.50.
>Are taxpayers subsidizing your hangovers?
Yes
Tax payer money is wasted on all kinds of bullshit so I might as well have fun with it

>Tax payer money is wasted on all kinds of bullshit so I might as well have fun with it
As long as you aren't an American I guess it doesn't affect me that much, but you're pretty much the problem with Western civilization.

I'm Swedish so you don't need to get too hot and bothered

>I'm Swedish
You really are everything wrong with this world.

Hey man I didn't vote for this

Have you ever lived outside of a city? Now I don't mean a big city, I mean a city - go live in a village, a hamlet or small township - it's hell.

>seeing the same stupid fat fuck-wits day in day out
No thanks.

on the flipside, living in a rural area means more space to farm and hunt your own food.

And yet you feel no shame in spending your countrymen's tax dollars on being a degenerate. You're more at fault than the average Social Democrat.
What are you studying? Is it at least something useful?

lots of people in cities make more than minimum wage so we can afford it

>Have you ever lived outside of a city?
Yes, for my entire life.
>Seeing endless throngs of strangers all day and night every day forever
No thanks.

Lots of people in cities make minimum wage.

>degenerate
It's not really anything useful, just language.
I will probably be studying something useful come autumn though (mats, physics, chemistry in preparation for engineering or other related line of study)

thanks for reading my blog by the way

Hes right you know. Sweden is a meme country, 55% tax more or less and the gov spends it on all kinds of bullshit like feminist movies/art no one would pay a dime to see with their own money.
They work hard as fuck, the taxpayers create alot of value so the gov can spend it for them...
Please dont vote sanders

yeah but not everyone

the majority of people in rural areas are poor as shit, that's why they're concerned about saving money not eating out

many people in cities earn enough that "wasting" money at a restaurant is not a concern

>the majority of people in rural areas are poor as shit, that's why they're concerned about saving money not eating out
where? estonia?
most rural people in NA are at least moderately wealthy, certainly not poor.

>>degenerate
It was the first word that came to mind. Would you prefer 'profligate' or 'human garbage?'
>thanks for reading my blog by the way
Send me a link to your tumblr, I'll call you more names.
>the majority of people* are poor as shit,
FTFY

>It was the first word that came to mind. Would you prefer 'profligate' or 'human garbage?'
Profligate sounds good, most people won't know what it means
>Send me a link to your tumblr, I'll call you more names.
I'll make a tumblr just for you if you want me to senpai

>Profligate sounds good,
It actually doesn't.
>I'll make a tumblr just for you if you want me to senpai
No, don't encourage their business model.

Take this shit to /b/ or wherever.

Why? This board is 'or wherever.'

>Yes, for my entire life.
How many people in your city, I can almost guarantee you it's still the size of a town.

Humans like to live in groups, they don't like to be alone, I think that's all there is to it. Not much happens in the country.

Where are you getting that idea? Its true that not everyone who lives out in the country is a poor bastard but the higher paying jobs are in the city, cost of living, unless it's NYC or SF, usually isn't so high that it counter acts that.

The Greater Vancouver area has a population of 2,500,000

About 3,000, I would never call it a city. It's a small town. What's your point?

>higher paying jobs are in the city
A lot of people commute to cities to work.

Because that is still a large population. What I am saying is in order to want to live in a city you need to be born in the sticks. A lot of people are born in the sticks and they are the ones who want to live in the cities.

For instance a hamlet is a 'town' with only 100 people.

>Because that is still a large population.
By what standard? You're one of the first people I've encountered to tell me that my town of 3,000 people has a large population. It comes up a lot in introductions, it being pretty out of the way on top of being small.
>What I am saying is in order to want to live in a city you need to be born in the sticks.
The most enthusiastic urban enthusiasts I know are from well-to-do coastal towns with large populations.

City life I'd exciting, there's always things to do. Living in a small village is boring but it's good to raise kids.

>The most enthusiastic urban enthusiasts I know are from well-to-do coastal towns with large populations.
People living in towns like to live in towns. I thought this was regarding an exodus to the cities?

>You're one of the first people I've encountered to tell me that my town of 3,000 people has a large population.
It's comparatively large. That is what I am saying.

That being said you also probably live in a nice place, not everywhere in the world is a nice place.

This goes without saying but work is also a huge factor as to why people move to the cities, Chinese doctors will give up their degrees to work as a janitor just because there is no work where he is.

That's besides the point.

>I thought this was regarding an exodus to the cities?
That's what I was referring to. These people are excited about moving out of their towns and moving to a city.
>That being said you also probably live in a nice place, not everywhere in the world is a nice place.
It's safe, if that's what you mean, I don't see what this has to do with population size. There are small towns that aren't nice.
>It's comparatively large.
Not compared to the surrounding towns.
What country are you from?

Well if you want fancy ingredients to cook more than what is sold in a regular supermarket, good luck buying then in a rural srea. Best example i can come up with is soy sauce. Two or three similar brands and way more expensive in a supermarket. Hundreds and cheaper in the asia store a street corner away. Oh and middle european here.

Why would you need more than 2 brands of soy sauce?