Anyway, isn't fashion just a completely vain and worthless pursuit...

Anyway, isn't fashion just a completely vain and worthless pursuit? Is it not only vanity which brings only superficiality and judgement by one's "looks"?

yeah, pretty much

Yeah. But sadly that's how society and people work kid. Conform or die.

That's what I thought too m8

i don't know if it's necessarily always vain

for example, designing clothes or dressing other people shifts emphasis purely onto the clothes as art or upon the non-self person which is wearing them

additionally, fashion can reflect function, interests, and personality, so while it is superficial it can lead to more interesting interaction. of course fashion can lead or mislead, no less. it's "judging a book by it's cover" but we judge a book by it's cover even when we read it's title. superficiality can be useful if it's taken only for what it is.

>one's "looks"?
>superficiality

Looks are more than superficial. They're indicators of health etc. Judging by looks is biological, and natural.

>isn't fashion just a completely vain and worthless pursuit?
Same could be said about art. Same could be said about religion.

Do you have any more self-righteous sophistry to spout?

Yeah, but unfortunately almost 95 % of the time that we judge someone by the clothes he is wearing is not due to fashion as art of fashion as a form of expression. It uses to be a form of judging the social status of somebody instead of his actual capabilities and things he's able to pursue. I'd really like to believe that fashion is about art but it really isn't. We are constantly bombarded by ads telling us to "buy, buy, buy more" but never understand fashion as art.

Nice pic of Sasha Pivoravora BTW. Do you know Frida Gustavsson?

If you want to look at fashion from the most nihilistic, black and white perspective, yeah sure. Most things are vain and worthless if you believe they're vain and worthless.

plastic surgery, make up and thinspo surely is doing wonders.

>>isn't fashion just a completely vain and worthless pursuit?
>Same could be said about art. Same could be said about religion.

Not really. Religion and Art gives meaning to life and is not superficial in any way, it speaks to the inner part of the human heart and elevates us if done correctly and makes one live for it. (Religion and Faith can actually increase health or psychological well being). Instead of that, in fashion we only get constant ads to buy more and more clothing but never get satisfied, and thus it becomes a vain pursuit, for it inevitably leads to nothing (because your clothes will never be expensive enough, you will never have enough clothing, and even if you have it will go out of fashion soon)

>Yeah, but unfortunately almost 95 % of the time that we judge someone by the clothes he is wearing is not due to fashion as art of fashion as a form of expression. It uses to be a form of judging the social status of somebody

blah blah blah blah

Do you not understand that this is not only completely natural but completely logical?

And to take it further, I'd say that the semiototical truth is actually far more valid than the rhetorical truth.

>Religion and Art gives meaning to life and is not superficial in any way, it speaks to the inner part of the human heart
so does fashion you fucking blowhard.

why do you think fashion has been a part of every fucking society ever?

yes, but of course whatever 95% of people which are interested in superficiality are going to manifest that in another form if fashion wasn't being considered an important medium, as such their interference shouldn't affect our expression

i mean, i'm not going to divert us so far off into debating capitalism and marketing, but this expands far away from clothes. people buy things which are used for specific actions just because they want to look like the sort of person that uses that tool

i guess i understand some of this frustration, i'm actually trying to have an online shop launched for my own small fashion line sometime this week ahaha

i know i've heard the name, but i can't remember any of the shows i've seen her walk in

>>Religion and Art gives meaning to life and is not superficial in any way, it speaks to the inner part of the human heart
>so does fashion you fucking blowhard.

No, it doesn't. Fashion has been part of every culture but it has never created legends and has never made any person I know happy or content. (Only people known in the fashion industry claim to be, even when one of its most famous killed himself due to depression a.k.a Alexander McQueen)

Even if there is meaning that fashion can give to life, it is only to the 0.1% of the people who are actual fashion designers that do that for a living and the rest 99.9% have to suck up and eat all the shit that these fashion "designers" shit out.

Art and religion are spiritual and eternal. They aim for the higher things. 99% of fashion is ephemeral and quickly dying (that's why we have 52 seasons of fashion where our clothes go to the trash after each season)

If you do fashion because you care about aesthetics - you care about it as a form in and of itself, then no. But, if you do it for the 'gram, or if it is just anther way to consume conspicuously, or if you just do it because it is what one does, or if you do it for the attention, then yes, it is a worthless pursuit; then yes, it is superficial and boring.

Some people - the ones worth watching, taking photos of, or admiring - are the ones treating it as a form. A way to try and elevate the banal and elementary into everyday beauty. Looking at a well-dressed person, is like being in a well-designed building, or watching a good film, or reading literature. It makes us feel good; it has worth.

You fucking said it user.

God bless

>parroting crap you read on a superficial article about fast-fashion

Fuck off m8. I have realized all of that after having read extensively on philosophy and related topics. Look up the article of vanity on wikipedia (if you are even literate enough)

Today I went to Gucci and MontBlanc. I was thinking of buying a bag and a wallet, but then suddenly some sad feeling came over me. It is so sad. It's all so vain. Why do we want these things? What is the fucking point?

vain but not worthless

elaborate user

I just like nice well designed and well made clothes

>I just like nice well designed and well made clothes

This doesn't even exist nowadays. Most (if not all) of all the luxury brands and designers are absolute shit with absolutely no taste (except for Gucci) and all the clothes are not build even to last. They are badly made on purpose

Unfortunately cheap and shitty commodity products drive the well designed and well made products out of the market. Children in some third world shithole with old machinery are not going to make anything worth even the Walmart price they charge.

You get pull all this shit out from a donkey's asshole, I swear to god.

Fuck off dude. It is true regardless of whether it is written on shitty Huffpost or Veeky Forums.

Like when I look at this guy's sitting leg position and wonder why the fuck he's doing that. Did the photographer want him to do that or did he just sit down that way?

The photographer wanted him to sit like that because he's gay and wants to see Redmayne's crotch better

my wardrobe consists of mainly lemaire, marni, vintage jil sander, prada, thom browne, loewe and a couple other various brands
they fulfill my criteria pretty well imo (albeit some being a bit overpriced for what they are)
these obvious aren't the best quality you can find, even at that price range, but I still like a bit of unconventional design in my wardrobe aswell

fucking faggot

thanks mate

You're welcome

What do you fags think of this cute ribbon lace on a suit?

Ultimately every action we do, we do out of self interest.

>gucci

That's called a neck tie user and its the precursor to modern neck ties. They are antiquated fashion so much like any antiquated piece they can look good but they will most certainly look out of place.