Why do so many people in fashion crowd smoke? I'm in NYC for uni and almost every single one of my friends smoke...

why do so many people in fashion crowd smoke? I'm in NYC for uni and almost every single one of my friends smoke. I try to only smoke socially occasionally but I'll probably end up getting addicted too.

It's just funny, amidst all this 'smoking isn't cool anymore' 'smoking is for fags' shit you read online, every fashionable person still smokes.

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/ifiah
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The propaganda against smoking is at an all time high

The truth is that smoking is a very cultural thing and has been for a long time now, before modernism hit us. It's one of few things people still do that isn't completly new and modern

Sure, you might die 15 years earlier in some cases, but you will have enjoyed lyfe a lot more than others. It's also really effay to smoke and helps people lose weight

Being skinny is effay and smoking kills your apetite so thats why, I assume. Idk thats at least why I picked up smoking.

just drink coffee mane

I can not eat all day and drink a few cups at 5:00pm and any hunger subsides

>you will have enjoyed lyfe a lot more than others
I think if one can successfully smoke socially without getting addicted, that can definitely be a fun time with few negative effects

the enjoyment comes when chatting with some friends outside the bar, or the morning cig with coffee. If I could stick to that level, 1-2 cigs a day, I totally would

but anyone at 1-2 packs a day I would say isn't ENJOYING cigs they're just addicted. Having to leave the restaurant 3-4 times during the meal to smoke doesn't look like much fun

I do agree with that last statement, smoking in a social setting is a real enjoyment of lyfe. 1-2 packs a day is pushing it because you start spending so much money you take out potential happyness from others areas of lyfe because of bad financial management.

Like Aristoteles said, the golden mean is to be sought after

do runway models still live on a diet of cotten balls and cigarettes?

Probably because being into creative scenes entails a lot of standing around and socializing or not socializing but still standing around. People get antsy and needs to start doing something so they go outside for a smoke, bumming cigs and asking for lighters are easy conversation starters.

Yeah smelling like shit, having to go out for a smoke every 1h and having ruined skin sounds like a great idea, it's so cultural and cool after all. You can't get cancer if you already have it

imo smoking is definitely not worth it OP and I'd highly recommend stopping now. I started smoking socially when I was 19 and within a year I was at like 6 or 7 a day. There are obviously people who smoke a lot more than that but still, it will make you feel like shit and you won't even notice that much until you quit. I smoked for about 4 years, managed to quit about 8 months ago but only by taking up vaping (privately). After a few weeks all that shit starts to clear out of your system, I couldn't believe how bad smoking was making me feel.

Sure it looks cool but it's seriously not worth the addiction. There are some people who can smoke socially, but it's not worth the risk imo.

This. I also took it up at 19 because a lot of my friends were smoking. I felt nauseous all the time, stunk like shit, and it was costing me way more than I could afford. I'm on nicotine gum now and holy shit do you feel so much better after quitting.
I still miss smoking as part of my aesthetic though.

Literally this
I started smoking occasionally about January last year and by the time I came back home from university last week I was smoking constantly every day. I can't really smoke at home so I quit recently and I literally feel so much better, however that feeling you get from having a cigarette is so sensual, almost spiritual, that I'm so afraid I won't have the willpower to stay away from it when I go back in September. This is the same with weed and alcohol though, I'm such an escapist that it's easier to ruin my health than just reject any of these drugs.

>I'm so afraid I won't have the willpower to stay away from it when I go back in September.
This is worth being afraid of. It's way easier to quit smoking when you change your environment, but when you go back to where you used to smoke all the time you'll want to start again and it will be really hard to resist. I quit one summer when I came home from college and it was no big deal, but when I went back I started again almost immediately.
I only managed to quit because I moved to a different city and haven't smoked once here. Every time I visit the city I went to school in I want to smoke so bad.

It's a really stupid addiction OP, avoid it.

I don't smoke on a regular basis, but my best mate does, so sometimes I'll smoke one with him. I've never found myself to have any craving to have more than one every week or two. I would never take it up because I rely on being aerobically fit for my job, and I don't want to jeopardise that.

People who smoke to maintain a lean figure are just cucks with no willpower looking for an excuse to justify their actions. Supporting corporations isn't cool.

I will only smoke in a very social situation after having several drinks. Feels good when you are kind of drunk, but when I've tried smoking outside of that it's vile.

smoking will always be cool

>I try to only smoke socially occasionally but I'll probably end up getting addicted too.

then STOP smoking you faggot
whine whine something something blog

>Smoked since I was 16
>5 years later my voice is gravely as shit and it only spans a single octave before cracking at higher pitches
>Height definitely affected and can feel every cig I ever smoked when I go for a run
I just want to sing Rush songs and hold my breath for a long time again.

Hot model smoking.

Anybody who justifies smoking cigs are complete faggots you get hooked on nicotine and think youre having a nice moment, when all you are doing is getting your nicotine fix. Social smoking is for idiots.

Is there any rational way to explain how gorgeous women can make smoking look so impossibly desireable? Could you date a female that smokes? Even an anti-smoker would forget their stance on smoking if it meant the opportunity for sex with a beautiful female smoker.

>Sure, you might die 15 years earlier in some cases, but you will have enjoyed lyfe a lot more than others
this has to be satire, nobody is that stupid

My girlfriend smokes and it's fucking annoying. It's not attractive when you have to smell it all the time.

It looks cool
It makes you lose weight
It's edgy
You seem rebellious since there is so many anti-smoking campaigns
And because it's addictive and feels nice

smoke cigars faggots

cigars are not very effay

I've never even tried a cigarette. I'd get easily hooked though, so I don't think it would be worth it.

I just picked up smoking. I started with cigarettes (marlboro red, newports), then cigarillos, and the last few things I've smoked were cigars.

The only thing I crave is a newport, the menthol really does it for me. I could see myself smoking menthol cigarettes in the future, but that's it.

What kind of weakminded fuck genuinely smokes cigarettes to look cool?

>all of these 19 year olds talking about smoking for 9 months

I started smoking when I was 12 and i got heavily addicted from 15 through to 18 when I quit.
it's a totally weak, self destructive behaviour and it's glorified for some reason

i remember the conversation i had with my friend that made my want to quit, it went like
me: "what kind of fags would you smoke if you had money"
friend: " i wouldn't smoke if i was rich"

don't start it's a slippery slope to hell

Post photos of her smoking for research purposes.

When you're turning your room over, pulling all your clothes inside and out looking for some change to buy a loosie from the corner shop because you're stressed, you'll realize smoking probably wasn't the best idea. Trust me.

On the other hand, if you do find that change, that cigarette tastes like victory.

>why do so many people in fashion crowd smoke?

Anxious personality type that is also susceptible to peer pressure, doing things to fit in.
Fashion industry selects for that because it's about gay men putting themselves in positions of power over weak-minded twinks who will suck their cocks, even though they're not gay, if pressure is applied.

People who harp on how terrible smoking is for your looks would be shocked to find out how many cigarettes the majority of supermodels go through a day.

i started smoking and selling cigarettes when I was 13, I would have one a day at that point, i smoked more and more up until the point last year where I was on 2 packs a day. I've got it back down to just under a pack a day now. I really quite enjoy it desu, having one in the morning with a coffee in the autumn is perfect, but I'm not dumb enough to justify it as a 'good' thing.

my dad has smoked filterless tobacco for most of his life and I've often seen him with horrendous coughs, as difficult as it is to say I wouldn't be surprised if he succumbs to it by the time I'm 40. It looks cool, that's true, but it has many downsides.

im a britfag so i started smoking rollies cuz fuck paying £5 ($6.50) for a pack of 20.
-
but like my insides felt vile. i stopped pretty quickly and sold the rest of my rolling papers tobacco what ever on to friends.
-
though i think its because creative people who would find themselves in fashion/music crowds suffer with alot of mental health. and smoking is ideal for people who suffer with anxiety

I quit smoking years ago, so now I'm able to just have one when the mood strikes me and enjoy it. I do legitimately enjoy smoking, so I wish I wasn't terrified of COPD.

ugh a nice evening with a girl, a beer, and a smoke. perfect.

This is fucking untrue. Even the prevalence of models smoking is about the same as normies

attractive people doing x doesn't make x attractive

>chapped lips
>yellow teeth
>grouchy attitude
>heart palpitations
>out of breath
>costly
>smelly
>knowing your future won't be very bright if you carry on

I can't lie though, it does look cool, it feels good when you do smoke and it's really good for conversations.

Most of the smokers.

>voice spans a single octave before cracking at higher pitches

are you sure it's not just a coordination thing (i.e. are you a trained/experienced singer)? cobain chain smoked but his distortion was definitely just controlled false-chord screams. and so his smoking just allowed him to have an effay weight, calm his nerves before shows, and have a slightly older-sounding tone.

like aretha franklin, dave grohl, elias ronnenfelt, courtney love, layne staley, father john misty, george harrison, stevie nicks, etc all smoked and yet were/are very capable singers. like i highly doubt you're tom waits. and even he had a nice voice at 30

i dunno man, just my $0.02

When I used to smoke I would lose about 3 to 3.5 steps on chrm scale when I smoked a lot the day before. If I really partied the night before, forget about it.

I really doubt Kurt was treating his voice in a sustainable way. We'll never know what straining like that would have done to his range over time or whether he would have had an even greater range if he hadn't smoked.

>it's really good for conversations
This and you won't drink as much if you're going back and forth to the smoking area.

>I really doubt Kurt was treating his voice in a sustainable way

oh totally. not sleeping, poor health, poor sleep, heroin addict. he would've had to have had a complete lifestyle change and been on vocal rest for a good long while to be able to keep singing above his G. and no doubt he would've sounded a lot more youthful + had more control if he never touched a cigarette

i was just trying to say that smoking, to a certain degree, can have a lot of benefits on tone.

i'd say losing 3 to 3.5 steps on chrm scale isn't that bad if your mix voice goes up to the F above male high C. which i'd say is pretty fair, once you learn mix your upper range should basically be infinity, regardless of how shit those highs sound.

sorry user, i'm 19 and low tenor––my break is at middle C but my tone is quite thin––so the smoking for singing thing is on my mind a lot. i'm hoping to age into a more cobain-y voice, but if i ever get unstainable porcelain veneers i'd love to have a couple of cigarettes a week. i hope i have the self-control for that, at least

RIP Dylan

I would think about ways to make to natural tone of your voice shine. Does doing lower end vocal warmups give thicker timbre to your high end?

Pls be bait

Maybe in Europe but this is definitely untrue in the US

indeed rip dylan

i actually haven't tried much lower-end stuff, my voice is very tenor-y (weak) in the low range. i'll definitely try some work on it, thanks user

i used to push and strain a lot because i thought it would darken my tone but it sounded terrible (example - streamable.com/ifiah ). i belt a lot quieter now and i think it's more effective in sounding how i want to sound, more cobain-y. i imagine i'll sound a bit more like a 24 year old when i'm 24 anyways, so not too much to worry about.

>People who smoke to maintain a lean figure are just cucks with no willpower looking for an excuse to justify their actions. Supporting corporations isn't cool.
100 percent this. If you smoke to 'fit in' that's an even dumber reason. Think of your health. You only have one body and your lungs weren't meant to inhale hot smoke.

fucking idiot tb h

Hey /fa how bad is smoke weed? Is this baddly as cigarrette?

Inhaling smoke is bad.

>every fashionable person still smokes.
this. go to school in very liberal massachusetts & everyone is fine with weed but there's so much anti-smoking bullshit. but my entire friend group smokes and are all fashionable, I've definitely noticed this trend.
I have 2 friends who are runway models & they live off of cigarettes, amphetamine, & coffee.
not /fa

Would agree with you except smoking really fucks with your sex life and general health. Try completely quitting for a month and you'll see what I mean.

>everyone is fine with weed
Yes because inhaling that burning plant couldn't possibly contribute to health concerns at all right?

>Supporting corporations isn’t cool.
so do you buy all your clothes from the thrift store? do you not own athletic shoes? or any kind of shoes for that matter? autist

i have one in the morning with my coffee on weekdays. no it’s not good for you but if you have enough willpower and are capable of limiting yourself without becoming a two-pack-a-day smoker it can be enjoyable

>Supporting corporations isn't cool
Says the guy who just posted on the internet using many corporate products >>>(phone/computer/ISP/wifi)

at least you can hide your hypocrisy with unfunny memes

How do I get into the fashion social circles in NYC?

highschoolers start smoking because they're basically just edgy as fuck and think self destruction is cool and then their friends start doing it because they're easily influenced and basically just can't think for themselves
This is how it happens like 98% of the time these days
people from older generations just did it because they didn't realize how bad it was for you and a lot of them didn't live long enough to experience the really bad effects

Yes, I thrift all my articles of clothing since supporting the anti-corporarte movement. I'm not an autist just because you can't understand my perspective.

Obviously I can't live a life free of products that are produced by corporations, but I try to limit these purchases as much as possible.

> no mobile phone
> no social media, google, etc.
> linux

There is a huge gray area for what I would sacrifice my morals for and what I wouldn't, but at least I'm addressing these issues.

Spreading awareness and shitposting on the internet obviously trumps my hate for xfinity enough for me to justify my actions.

Supporting a corporation that makes addicting products and markets those products as edgy and cool, is just buying into their propaganda. You're not fooling anyone but the same people who participate in that culture.

>morals
>Veeky Forums
Pick one

using Veeky Forums doesn't stop me from defining my morals. morals are subjective.