/DIY/

Do it yourself/ re-purposing general
/mu/ ft /diy/ edition

Anything about making your own clothes, customizing and/or tailoring goes here. Talk about your projects. Ask Questions. Share information. Help each other out.

PASTEBIN:
pastebin.com/hnXtzTk7
(if you think the pastebin lacks any information, just ask)
Japanese magazines, just in case you need them
pastebin.com/Q2iDYiAM

last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/fa/thread/S9519749#p9524033
ufntextiles.com/
aaeco.net/
siobhanandnuala.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bumping this

Not much of a diy project but I started putting flags of where I've travelled to on a black hoodie

Mm kinda corny man

Wrapping it will make or break it, I would suggest one off center bundle

warosu.org/fa/thread/S9519749#p9524033
So what do I do? Does it only count for denim?

i would cluster them together into a mosaic on the back

ive wanted to do this on my backpack but unsure where/how and that it looks pretentious

>and that it looks pretentious
a lot of brands do it (usually with "cool" flags like japan and south africa), people won't think much of it imo
I mean as long as you only talk about it when asked and you don't start bragging it's cool

Joann fabrics is kind of shit here SENPAI.

There has to be a place online I can order specialty fabrics. Fabric.com looked promising but nothing I was looking for.

ufntextiles.com/
aaeco.net/
siobhanandnuala.com/
I hope these help some anons.

so I have an idea for a patched jacket
the idea is to make a document of all the images I want to be put on the jacket, print it onto a fabric, and then cut and adhere them to the jacket/base

any ideas on how I should go about this?
I dont plan on using screen printing because some of them have color, would it be an okay idea to just bring the pictures up to a screen printing store and see what they say?

>would it be an okay idea to just bring the pictures up to a screen printing store and see what they say?
yeah why not

Looking for my first sewing machine. Want to work with denim, leather and lighter fabrics too. Is the toyota super jeans a good choice?

Direct to garment printing can be pretty expensive, as are custom vinyls. Probably around 20 USD to print an 8x11 full color/multicolor photo collage. Need to bring a shirt or something as well.

I've been working on my own sneaker company brand for a few months now and have prototype sneakers and a bold logo design that makes us stand out. The first sneaker line we will be doing is in skateboarding wear and techwear.

My main concerns right now is promotion, getting the word out without any problems occurring. The trademarks for our logo and design patents are also in the works. So until those are finished I can't post pictures of my sneakers.

How do I get the word out in the Skateboarding and Techwear industries?

>bold logo design
my /gd/ side wants to see that

>How do I get the word out in the Skateboarding and Techwear industries?
I'd advise shilling on reddit and giving free stuff to local musicians that you think are gonna blow up

sponsor me

>local musicians
instagram or go home.
contact the tech-memelords on there or whoever else fits your targetaudience

working on my second leather backpack

first one

looks amazing man keep it up

nice work

thanks, famalams

pic related with be the closing strap

Dude, that's pretty flippin' sweet. Is it comfortable to wear? Alongside that, what's the max weight capacity?

>Is it comfortable to wear?
so far yes. the first one (black) had four strap anchor points, and the top two was too far apart for the straps to stay on my shoulders. I designed the new one with three anchor points to avoid this.

>what's the max weight capacity?
don't really know, but I do expect it to hold up to some abuse. they both have a singular piece body (one long centre piece), and the one currently at work has stainless steel hardware and is made out of 8-10oz (4mm max) saddle skirting- same sort of leather used for saddle making.

Finally dyed those shorts, I didn't have much bleach so I couldn't get a uniform bleach, but afterward I got this rusty/oriental look which I think looks pretty nice
On the picture it just seems dirty but irl it doesn't btw

anybody here sew? what's a good machine for 500 cad?

1507WC by Singer?

Decided to do some quick alterations on the neck of a jumper I knitted a while ago, and it turned into also ripping out the hem and sleeve ribbing. Then decided to try to save a bit of time by picking up the live stitches on the front hem I'd ripped back to rather than putting in a lifeline of any kind.

Long story short there were over a hundred of unsecured live stitches (the little end loops on the picture) out waiting to be picked up and any one of them slipping without me noticing results in a dropped stitch and unravelling. Didn't drop anyway but it was more stressful than it needed to be.
Always use a lifeline friends.

Get a Juki.
Or a sewing machine and a serger for the same price

looks nice, I like the effect

used industrial

Got a sewing/embroidery machine.

Thinking about getting some blank caps and do some stuff. Anyone got experience with this? Maybe selling them, using Instagram to reach people?

I'm a photographer so I was thinking of getting some good looking girls to pose for me.

considering bleaching the life of leisure art onto the back of a purple shirt, what's the best way to do this? I need some way to signify the coast break, should I dip-dye the bottom half covering up the hair, then do layered stencils as described in that pastebin for body? also is there any way to capture the texture of the water, or would that just be a ballache to cut out/plot for little reward
never really done diy stuff before, sorry if this is self-evident or has some obvious faults

You won't be able to achieve that with bleach try screen printing or paint it instead.

you'll need to simplify it a lot to get it to work with bleach
here, I tried with only one level of bleach(you can bleach the white or the black part, u do u) you could do with more but this is your first diy project after all
it will be pretty different from the picture you posted obviously, but I think it'll look even cooler

I'm stupid
here's the pic

how would I go about that with screen printing? the linked articles are more complex than I wanted and monochromatic/non-gradients like I'd expect bleach to produce. I'm unlikely to paint it because I've never done it before and don't want to waste materials (awful hand/eye coordination and moment to moment artistic judgement)
I guess my question is what is the difference between what I could produce with bleach and what I could screen print (control, precise tints, ?) or alternatively and more simply, how would you go about this, and what sort of thing would be produced?
thank you very much. do you think a delineation between water and sky is possible/worthwhile? I saw you can get a middle ground by dunking the shirt in water quickly (like the right shirt's filling), but it seems awkward to work in (lightly bleached bottom half, heavily done body/shadow/coastline/text, rest covered?) my other concern is how to place it to make it smoothly part of the shirt (i.e. starting from the seam with the coast, but that blows up the figure's size proportionally, having a horizon means half the shirt has to be processed->more fuckup surface and maybe mandates mirroring on back etc.) you don't necessarily have to answer all/any of this, I just need to think it through and wouldn't for a while if not forced to in text

You could do try with two levels of bleach to get a difference in hue between the water and the sky yeah

How do I put patches on a nylon jacket

Sew it on.

Bamp

I think I overdid this

How do I go about embroiding this pattern onto a jacket's sleeve?

Anyone with an embroidery machine can help with some input?
There's no way this can be done perfectly by hand I would assume

Do it by hand u silly bean.
Get an embroidery hoop for like £3, draw the pattern onto the fabric and follow it w needle and thread

update: I did it
will post pics later

That's a pretty simple design to do by hand - it's mostly just lines, biggest issue you'd run into is keeping your sleeve taut because it'd likely be too small an area for a standard hoop you'd find in craft shops, but that's either fixed by finding a smaller hoop somewhere, finding another way to keep it taut or just chancing it with loose material (wouldn't recommend).

After that it's just a case of getting a needle and some floss. If you can do a basic back stitch you're set, if you can't it'll take you about 15 minutes at most to learn.
Practice on wok scrap fabric first doing the design, then sketch it out on your sleeve and go.

Some scrap... not wok scrap.

The black dye bled a bit (a lot) so the white spaces are a really desaturated purple (I know it looks grey an the pic but it's actually purple)
I personally like how it looks, but yeah don't use dylon dye if you want the white spaces to stay white

Looks better this way than it being all crispy and contrasting imo

Second this opinion

If I re-dye something that's a bit uneven, what are my odds of it becoming "fixed"?

I want to make my flecktarn parka darker.

>south africa
and in SA jackets with German flags on the sleeve are popular, pretty meta

I'd love to see more pics user.

that's weird cause the german flag sucks ass, it's basically a shittier belgian flag
the south african flag is one of the best in the world i m o

??¿???¿?¿¿¿?¿

>

Best germany had much more interesting flag with the emblem

my phone's camera (bb passport) isn't great. pic related's got the vibrance/sat turned up so it looks less washed out.

btw I just finished adding a border stitching for the front flap, and just got to sanding the borders on the visible side. recharging the dremel atm.

I've been into modding shit lately, here's a blazer thing I did with some weird textile from a thrift shop

@lhommeboy on insta if you wanna look I posted there

that's really cool man

What is the title of the book?

The Leatherworking Handbook: A Practical Illustrated Sourcebook of Techniques and Projects by Valerie Michael

This is a pair of sunglasses I did in their entirety, from the initial drawing to the crafting by hand. If anyone has questions about them, the process, or anything related I'll gladly answer.

>I did in their entirety, from the initial drawing to the crafting by hand
How did you create the plastic shape and everything else? Did you 3d print them? Or did you order them somewhere?

thanks mate (:

God damn getting everything symmetrical must have been a bitch

Srsly tho this is some next level shit good job user

Should i dye my pink blush vans? The pink canvas is pretty pale looking after a few washes, so i was thinking of dyeing it black. Whadduya guys think?

burnishing the edges

Nice work user! :)

Did you sell them or have selled some pieces?

nah. this is just a hobby thing. I do like the idea of selling in the future though.

>

and done

The plastic shapes were CNC cut from an acetate plate, and then polished by hand ( cutting the edges, making the curves flat, making them shine ). The metal part I took from an old, broken pair of sunglasses, and polished it so it became silver ( it was gold at the beginning ). The lenses are just water cut.

Thanks mate, yeah it was kinda hard and there are some mistakes, but it took a whole month to make em. As I said above the shapes were CNC cut but thus extremely raw so the polishing job was very long and minutious

Wow wtf this general has come so far

it's beautiful user, mind sharing a bit of your story on how you started leatherworking? how pricey is it?

>mind sharing a bit of your story on how you started leatherworking?

nothing special. I initially started watching leatherworking videos on youtube when I was 15-16 and found them incredibly comforting, but being a poor (and unemployed) kid at the time meant that all I could do then was watch vids but that petered off knowing that it was an unaffordable hobby. Pink Floyd's "Time" actually motivated me to get a hobby to spice up the time I was wasting, and when I got a decent paying job a few years later the thing I spent my first paycheque on was a roll of cxl and a few cheap tools. turning 20 soon.

would def get into sewing fabric soon too.

>how pricey is it?

about 250 on supplies for this specific project, and just about 1500 on tools.

the material used in the new bag is sort of free of charge. I spent 160 cad on 15 sq ft of saddle skirting but the supplier sent the wrong material (15 sq ft of carving leather). Contacted them and they sent me the proper roll free.

the pic I attached has a box in it to push it to full capacity btw. that's why it looks bloated.

Does it include shoes?

>started watching leatherworking videos on youtube and found them incredibly comforting
im doing the same with woodturning and metal work
but needs too much space to get started i think, cant just do it in my room
also not Veeky Forums related sry

it isnt corny its cool but sew them on nicely

do you skate?

i think you might npt otherwise it would be fairly easy/obvious how to get your shit out w skateboarding heads

source: run a couple brands myself but dont market them as skateboarding even though I do skate because i suck at it and the skate community is very tight knit and 'vigilant' about that shit

This is now a comfy making thread

God i just love the look of plain fabric waiting to be turned into something

im looking to make a onesie, what material is gonna be a good balance of durability and comfort?

complete novice to DIY fashion here. what is a good material to print on and work with? i guess i could do cotton for shirts but im looking more into jeans.

any help is great thanks.

Tried bleaching and distressing these shirts, what do y'all think?

Are you saying I need to try again?

The same fabric they use for sweatpants?
You can screen print on denim. As for jeans, you would need to take out one seam so you can flatten the fabric. What do you want to print?

I would bleach an distress it some more and after that bleach and distress yourself

I like it, especially the Corsican one

Definitely not DIY, but I bought this jacket about a year ago and it fits a lot like it does in this picture (too much fabric around torso, sleeves too long). How much can I expect to pay to fix these?

looks fine in that pic honestly, that's how you want it to fit
moving around in it is gonna be awful if you make the body slimmer and take fabric from the sleeves

satan gon' come outta dat

I bought some scrap canvas from a local factory outlet today. What should I do with it? Was thinking of using it to reinforce all of the patch pockets on my pants (pic related) but still have a bunch left over
Any projects I can use it for?