I'm genuinely curious as to how the idea of the trinity in Christianity got started...

I'm genuinely curious as to how the idea of the trinity in Christianity got started. Because I've read the Bible and even looked into the history of the church, and I don't see how anyone got the idea of the trinity.

To me it seems obvious that Jesus references god as someone distinct and separate from himself, and this would fit with prophecy that concerned the messiah as a distinct entity who wasn't god. So, it just seems like this idea of the trinity comes out of fucking nowhere and is stupid. But clearly there was lots of debate over it and people took the idea seriously.

So, how did that idea get to become so popular?

It's really fucking obvious desu:

>Commandment clearly states that you shall have no other gods
>But we want to worship Christ and the Holy Spirit because they were holy n shit
>So let's just call God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit "God" that way it's not really polytheism it's actually monotheism :^)

>I'm genuinely curious as to how the idea of the trinity in Christianity got started.
The Trinity has always existed, before time itself did

Literally the first few lines of the Gospel of John. It is also the most authentically "Christian" gospel.

>that way it's not really polytheism it's actually monotheism
Stop fooling yourself. :^)

Jesus was born only a couple years ago though.

So, clearly this thread is going nowhere. Is there any scholarly resource for where this trinity debate came from? Or is this thread basically how the council of nikea went?

You are rude

So... Can anyone explain what the fuck Holy Spirit role in all of this? God created everything and he is all powerful, Jesus patched up his fuck ups and he is a human one. Where is the third book about the Holy Spirit adventures or something?

Well I hear god has writers block and can't come up with with a good ending for his last book in the trilogy. You'll probably have to wait until armageddon till it realeses in a store near you.

I don't know much about its evolution, but you can derive it pretty easily from John

Be careful, Jesus is fully human and fully divine. If you say otherwise prepare to be excommunicated

You mean he is demigod?

No. A demigod is a lesser pagan divinity, which has a half-measure of divinity and a half-measure of humanity. Jesus is the Second Person of the Trinity, fully God and fully man.

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

- Matthew 28:19

>in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

The Holy Spirit's role is to be our counselor and comforter who reminds us what Jesus taught us even though Jesus is no longer on Earth.

The Book of Acts explains how the Holy Spirit descended on the apostles at Pentecost and quickened their ministry.

Yes. His human nature was. But his devine nature, the LOGOS, pre-existed since the beginning, as among many other chapters John 1 tells us.

>devine

>Being a grammar Nazi.

Sorry that I fail to be perfect in a language I am not a native speaker off.

Arschloch.

The Messiah is not supposed to be divine, Christians, like with virtually hundreds of "messianic prophecies" managed to find a way to sneak jesus into it.

Why didn't the Holy Spirit help you to make sure your translation was perfect?

You know the shahada mentions muhammad right?

Cause it doesn't lead our every action.
And sorry for the Arschloch.

I thought it lead in matters of revelation, hence why there are no translation errors in the Bible going from Greek, Aramiac, Latin, English etc.

I thought it lead in matters of revelation.
It sometimes does. But that doesn't means it leads all our actions. Certainty not Veeky Forums comments.

>hence why there are no translation errors in the Bible going from Greek, Aramiac, Latin, English etc.
There provably are such though. Heck, even the source text isn't the same depending on whether you translate by Nestle Aland or Textus receptus, /// whether you translate by the biblica hebraica stuttgartensia/ codex leningradensis or by the LXX.

Your fault for only talking to radical evangelical pentecost fundies, and not to proper historical-critical Lutherans. ;-)

Look up "How Jesus became God"

The Messiah of the OT was Cyrus The Great of Persia. He saved the Jews.

Has anyone come along since then and ACTUALLY saved the Jews?

It's all in catechism - If you have to ask some atheists and basement dweller on a Mongolian smoke signal board about it - it just proves you're a troll and genuinely not interested.

>I've read the Bible
Really?

This triune God (or Trinity) began to allude to this aspect of His nature right in Genesis 1:26–27. There we read that “God said, ‘Let us make man in our image’...God created man in His image.” Here God is a plural noun, said is in the third-person singular verb form, and we see both the plural pronoun our and the singular His referring to the same thing (God’s image). This is not horribly confused grammar. Rather, we are being taught, in a limited way, that God is a plurality in unity. We can’t say from this verse that He is a trinity, but God progressively reveals more about Himself in later Scriptures to bring us to that conclusion.

In Isaiah 48:12–16 we find the speaker in the passage describing himself as the Creator and yet saying that “the Lord God and His Spirit have sent Me.” This is further hinting at the doctrine of the trinity, which becomes very clear in the New Testament. There are many other Old Testament Scriptures that hint at the same idea.

In Matthew 28:18–20 Jesus command His disciples to baptize His followers in the name (singular) of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. John’s Gospel tells us that “the Word” is God who became man in Jesus Christ (John 1:1–3, 14). Jesus was fully man and fully God. Many other verses combine together to teach that God is triune.

As a start on a thorough discussion on this topic, the chart in pic related is an accumulation of many of the passages that show the deity of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Genesis 18 explicitly depicts YHWH as Triune, as Abraham refers to the three visitors by that name. Furthermore, the Messiah's name is YHWH in Jeremiah 23:6. Israel itself, in feminine, is foretold to be identified with the same title in Jeremiah 33:!6, which is consistent with the Christian understanding of the Church as the Body of Christ, but not consistent with the Jewish idea of the male personification of the people of Israel being distinct from the Messiah (as in the Jewish interpretation of Isaiah).

If it's so obvious, why is it rejected by Judaism?

From the beginning they considered Christianity a heresy.

>"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! See, your house is left to you desolate. For I tell you, you will not see me again, until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.'"
Matthew 23:37-39

>Because I've read the Bible and even looked into the history of the church, and I don't see how anyone got the idea of the trinity.

Christianity is fundamentally ethical. It is about the Other.

If you don't see that in the New Testament and if you think that kind of morality has been superseded by anything else, you simply don't read.

this

Almost the entirety of the Old Testament is a history of the Jews fucking up over and over again

/this
It's unfortunate, but the dude is right. Buy yourself a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church and read it (Actually read it). It is mind bending to say the least. This will give you the opportunity to get the answers to your questions from THE source, the Vatican itself. I won't spoil the ending for you, but it really does pull out all the stops to explain Catholic dogma in a well thought out manner.

Whether you agree with Catholics or not, it explains it better than anybody on this board ever will.

How does Cyrus make sense as the Messiah in light of the prophecies in the Book of Daniel. He gives the timeframe for the Messiah's coming there, and certain descriptions of events related to him, and of his role, and Cyrus does not fit this at all.

>it seems obvious that Jesus references God as some distinct and seperate from himself

Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. John 14:11

Christ makes it obvious that God is within Him and Him within God, just as Christ is within us and we are in Christ.

Dummy, Cyrus is referred to as a Messiah (read: annointed one)

Ok, but we're taking about THE Messiah. A lot of people in the Bible are annointed. Cyrus does not fit the picture in the Book of Daniel. Ergo he is not THE Messiah.

Jew detected.

and the funny thing is there is no such thing as "the messiah" it's multiple "a messiah". The people that wrote the new testament had a piss poor understanding of Judaism and assumed messiah was a singular.

>not understanding that Jesus has a first and second coming
>not understanding that Jesus' first coming was as a savior of man and this his second coming will be as the Messiah

Except the Jews were expecting THE Messiah and still await him to this day, and every prayer service (the Amidah) and in many other places they pray for God to bring the Messiah. Rabbi Akiva declared Bar Kochva to be the Messiah, for example. There have been numerous false Messiahs that have managed to fool the Jews like Shabtai Tzvi.

God is a spirit. He has himself and the word which is Jesus in flesh form. That easy

God is multithreaded

It's pretty simple actually. Christianity didn't want to anger their first Hebrew converts by turning Judaism into pagan polytheism and thus the explanation is that the Son the Father and Holy Spirit are all one entity.

Did he have a human nature in Heaven before he was born of the virgin Mary?

Because reasons and muh bible and shit...

>Jews still waiting for a kike Alexander the Great to conquer the world for them

Everytime you see a thread with Christcucks babbling about the most nonsensical things without any proof or evidence - that is exactly how the Council of Nicaea went

>Nikea

I see what you did there.

THIS.

Christcucks don't understand that the New Testament displays an abysmal understanding of Jewish theology. Actually, it would simply be more accurate to say there was absolutely NO understanding of Jewish theology.

This is the same reason why modern scholars doubt Paul's self-proclaimed credentials of being even being devout Jew or attending Gamaliel's prestigious Rabbinical school: the Paulian Epistles and the New Testament that came afterwards are literal Greek fanfictions, and later on, other idiot scribes tried to shoehorn in some references to the Jewish Old Testament to make it fit, if only barely.