Did the American internment of Japanese Americans during WW2 have any justification besides paranoia?

Did the American internment of Japanese Americans during WW2 have any justification besides paranoia?

Like was there actual credible intelligence that there were enough Japanese on the west coast to actually create enough of a threat to warrant such a flagrant disregard of basic human rights?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niihau_incident
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Honestly I don't think so, there was a Japan town in my hometown and in it was a Japanese temple and school. When they were detained they burned down the temple and confiscated their farms and homes then sold them.

Even though Japanese farmers introduced citrus cultivation in many parts of California and contributed to California's agriculture immensely looking at my region the deportations were an excuse for poorer whites to just take from such a thriving group.

Success breeds jealousy so to speak.

Japs in America were caught actually helping Japan so I'd say there was something more than paranoia.

>Even though Japanese farmers introduced citrus cultivation in many parts of California

This is bullshit btw and I doubt your other bit about burning down shrines.

The government didn't treat Germans or Italians too well, either. Sure there were probably German, Italian, and Japanese Americans who were sympathetic to the countries they traced their genetics back to, but many would've been useful to the war effort. Citizens can be put to better use in factories or on the front lines.

It was mostly based in the Ni'hau incident, shortly after Pearl Harbor.

And a healthy dose of paranoia.

You can believe what you want but any serious reading of Japanese migrants shows their superior position to non-Japanese workers in California and Hawaii.

But by all means see this as a conspiracy, its not as if Japanese Americans are still leaps and bounds ahead of say White Americans and the taking away of Japanese owned farms, businesses and homes did not in fact occur :^)

>The government didn't treat Germans or Italians too well, either.

Eh. But they didn't treat them anywhere near as badly.

About 11,500 German nationals (not American citizens) were interned. Less than 300 German-Americans were sent to internment camps. The German nationals, and German-Americans, who were arrested were each given basic due process which involved every single case being evaluated by the EAC and the person being allowed to go in front of a panel of judges from the EAC to present a case. German nationals who were imprisoned were allowed to live with their entire families as well. Whereas Japanese-Americans were not given due process, stripped of their property, jobs, belongings, etc, and in some cases families were separated from the men.

Thanks for the great sources there to back up your retarded assertions.

The Japanese treated American civilians (and Europeans) far worse in the territories they occupied during the war.

They were considered likely to be Japanese sympathizers. The reason Germans and Italians weren't treated the same way is basically because they were white (i.e. they assimilated easier, and were less likely to sympathize with Germany and Italy), not to mention that Germany and Italy didn't commit Pearl Harbor-like attacks.

There's also literally nothing wrong with putting suspected subversives in prison camps during a war.

Yep!

Not sure why you said that to me, but, yep!

>There's also literally nothing wrong with putting suspected subversives in prison camps during a war.

Sounds like white racist projection to me.

>we'll I'm racist so obviously if I were in their situation I'd betray my country in favor of my race in a heart beat so obviously they are thinking the same way!

>Whereas Japanese-Americans were not given due process, stripped of their property, jobs, belongings, etc, and in some cases families were separated from the men.

How horrible, I mean being raped to death would certainly be nicer than being placed in an internment camp where the only people who died died of old age and natural causes.

Wait, who was the American government raping to death?

Well if you don't want to take the time to even google the b.s. "compensation" given to Japanese Americans for their livelihoods being taken from them.

If you don't even know that then why should I take the time to even take serious your questioning of anti-Japanese treatment? Who's the retard who doesn't even know basic post WWII history?

Ahh, I see.

So you think that because Japanese soldiers were raping people, it's okay to strip Americans of their rights, homes, families, etc, and imprison them based on their nationality?

By your logic, then, it was okay for the Japanese to conduct experiments on American POWs because Japanese POWs were often killed by American soldiers despite international laws. Good to know. A strange view point to have, but hey, it's your logic.

Everyone was racist in the 40s, slant-eye.

Surely we aren't comparing military interactions because in terms of attacking and killing and raping between the nuclear arms and the terrorizing of Japanese women that still occurs today American military men have certainly passed that threshold as well.

That's not even the biggest issue I have with you. Although the Alien Land Act was passed in 1913 and expanded in 1920 so I'm not sure how these Japanese farmers were even in legal control of the land they were working, but whatever. Claiming that Japanese immigrants were responsible for the spread of citrus culture throughout California is just complete unmitigated bullshit and revisionism in the highest. Did they help establish successfull rice farming in the Sacramento Valley? Yes. Did they become extremely successful cultivating asparagus and potatoes in the Delta region? Sure. Citrus cultivation? lol

Right, how could anyone forget the Rape of Tokyo that occurred as American soldiers entered the city. Certainly comparable to the Rape of Nanking, Manilla, Singapore, etc.

It was a preemptive move so we have no idea, they would probably collaborate with Japanese forces if they invaded and occupied the mainland but seeing how they neither had the means or desire to do so they concentration could only be called stupidity

So because Japanese soldiers do something, it's okay for the American government to punish and strip the rights away from Japanese-Americans who didn't do anything?

Then it's okay for modern Japan to strip any American nationals living in Japan of all their rights and imprison them because of American soldiers raping Japanese women in Japan today.

It was less about the nips physically picking up arms and fighting and more about them providing intel, which they did plenty of. How do you think nips got all their intel for Pearl Harbor?

>How do you think nips got all their intel for Pearl Harbor?
From the people stationed at the japanese embassy in hawaii?

I said "introduced citrus cultivation to many parts of California" but seeing as you laughably don't even know how Japanese became farmers and got to owning land or know of the intense jealousy of said success I think I'm pretty right about calling you a retard lol.

How about a nice source on the citrus claim or shut the fuck up because as of right now you've provided me with nothing but ad hominems.

There was no Japanese embassy in Hawaii. Countries tend to avoid establishing embassies in backwater locations 10,000 mile+ away from the nation's capital especially when that backwater is not even a state.

Absolutely retarded position there pal, please never try to run for pubblic office

>which they did plenty of.

Please provide evidence for at least 50% of the 120,000 imprisoned Japanese Americans providing the Japanese government with intel. Thanks!

So I guess the Americans should have just raped everyone to death in those internment camps since according to you that is just as bad as housing them there safely for the duration of the most brutal war in human history.

>please provide evidence for your claims even though i won't provide any evidence for mine! thanks!

If japs had any intel they would have bombed the base with air craft careers in it. Some people in California can't provide intel on dutch east indies and guam, I mean if you want to intern hawaii and some naval officers fine - at least show a little a finesse about it

Where did he say that?

AFAIK, you attempted to justify interning Japanese-Americans with the excuse that the Japanese Army was committing atrocities.

I didn't make any claims. You do know that more than one person can reply to you, right? Are you new to the website?

You are claiming that Japanese-Americans were providing intel. Provide evidence as I requested, or leave the discussion. Thank you!

They had the intel that the carriers were gone, bro. Thing is, you can't just pull the plug on an operation like that when it's weeks in progress.

Not the guy you think you're replying to. You do know that more than one person can reply to you, right? Are you new to the website?

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the question OP asked or the topic of the thread in general.

It was a mixture of paranoia and racism.

There was no evidence to support the idea that the Japanese were a fifth column save for a few minor incidents. Both FBI and US Naval Intelligence concluded that the Japanese community posed no threat to domestic security.

You also forget the fact that despite many first and second generation Germans went to Germany to fight for Wehrmacht, the German population was still treated better than the Japanese.

Wow three whole Japs in a territory that they made up 40% of the population at the time.

Everyone is racist in 2016 too cisscum!

Yes, and there's nothing wrong with that.

>There was no evidence to support the idea that the Japanese were a fifth column save for a few minor incidents

Is sending people to concentration camps for the duration of a war really that bad though? The whole selling their property for cheap thing was fucked but sending them to camps was pretty damn innocuous in my opinion.

Keep in mind that "concentration camp" is a loaded word entirely because of the Nazis, it just means people are concentrated in that location. Nobody has to die in a concentration camp, and there's nothing inherently wrong with the idea any more than there's anything inherently wrong with the idea of a refugee camp.

>and there's nothing inherently wrong with the idea
Well the whole being forced into a camp against your will thing.

It's not like the government rounded up random people. Japanese were suspected of subversion, so into the camp they go.

>Is sending people to concentration camps for the duration of a war really that bad though?

>is the revocation of guaranteed/protected freedoms and mass incarceration of a community due to the actions of a literal handful that bad though?

No, it isn't.

Is it?
I don't think it is.
There's a war on after all, there's no harm in asking some people you don't trust to sit this one out.

Given the history of race riots in this country, even between blacks and whites during WW2, I guarantee you more Japanese-Americans would have died if they hadn't been rounded up and instead remained in the general population, especially after the various atrocities committed by the Japanese military came to light. Internment actually kept the Japanese population in the US safe.

Sorry, but I'm fairly certain that even during wartime the government doesn't have the legal authority to suspend constitutional rights for an entire population of its own citizens. If they weren't citizens, or if the government had any legitimate intelligence to believe that they would do anything outside of reactionary fear then it would/could have been a different story.

Japs outside of the West Coast were not interned and they weren't killed in race riots.

Yeah I'm not saying that it was entirely legal. I'm saying it wasn't wrong.

You're trying to justify internment camps by pointing at Japan and saying "They did worse." That's the same retarded thought process that the allies used to justify their mistreatment of Germany that caused World War II to begin with

No not everyone.

Yes, everyone.
Everyone is still racist, it's just suppressed and comes out as leftist virtue-signalling or bleating about big government.

Refugee camps are hell though.
Better yet the countries that have them receive little aid or help from donors to help cope with them.

That's why I laugh when.people bitch about the crisis since there's nations that have dealt with huge refugee flows/camps for decades.

during wartime, Democracy, constitutions, laws and rights are irrelevant. This is a universal. The State can do whatever the fuck it wants during war time, and only outright rebellion is the only fear the state will have.

But with enough fear and control of food, rebellion is hard to trigger.

>That's why I laugh when.people bitch about the crisis since there's nations that have dealt with huge refugee flows/camps for decades.

With the difference being that those nations mostly let their refugees rot in some backwater shithole financed by UN aid, while European countries are expected to properly care for and integrate them.

They don't have the money to be able to do all that though in those countries.

And what exactly made it right?

Holding racist views and acting on them are 2 entirely different things.

I do hate the "libruls r the reel raycists" meme, but it's accurate. Leftist policies are primarily driven by a hatred of white people as "oppressors" (read: successful and not Jewish) and worship of browns as the global proletariat.

Yeah, and that's why both aren't really comparable. Taking up refugees in Europe is a completely different matter from having them live in shacks in Lebanon etc.

Either way it's a good and we'll needed wake up call.

Wake up to what?
People don't owe these refugees anything.

Which is why they have to go back?

That this all could yave Bern prevented if Gaddafi didn't get killed and that countries that should have gotten much more aid and resources in dealing with refugees. Now these said countries can't support anymore and many are spilling into countries further out.

Suspicion is not evidence so your logic is shit.

Where do you live? Central Valley too?

Cry me a river, saboteur.