How did prostitutes do their profession back in the day with such shitty anticonception?

How did prostitutes do their profession back in the day with such shitty anticonception?

Other urls found in this thread:

ancient-origins.net/history/discovery-mass-baby-grave-under-roman-bathhouse-ashkelon-israel-002399
archive.archaeology.org/9703/newsbriefs/ashkelon.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Infanticide.

Abortion.

the Romans had some plant that was apparently basically foolproof but they used it to extinction

How common were stds back in the day?

Very carefully.

Also, abortion, as we call it today, wasn't a mortal sin. The child wasn't considered fully "ensouled" until it took its first breath. Thus, for prostitutes and other unfortunates, "riding yourself flat" wasn't nearly as much as a social risk as was, well, being a prostitute. While it was still frowned upon, it wasn't considered "murder" as it is among some sects today (there wasn't even an indulgence for it - unlike vanilla murder, or touching a woman on her period).

I don't believe you

They would always swallow

Infanticide was legal, in fact it was even encouraged.

Also they had a plant that can be taken as a drug that induces a miscarriage.

Often they did have kids.

Remember that old story about King Solomon and splitting the baby? They usually bowlderize it in the English, but the original is quite clear, these are two prostitutes, and I know there are some scholarly opinions that say that the passage is meant to imply that Solomon is at least a putative father for the brats.

They either had abortions or just killed the kid when it came out.

ancient-origins.net/history/discovery-mass-baby-grave-under-roman-bathhouse-ashkelon-israel-002399

I think they watched their cycles pretty carefully iirc

It was quite a bit easier to watch your cycles in an era where near everyone cycled based on moon phases.

Wrong era, but fairly accurate for early Christian Europe, right up until the late 1800's.

It was officially disdained, but not a mortal sin, and certainly not murder. That's a modern conception... of conception.

Bullshit.

"Why sow in the ground only to destroy the fruit? The work of abortion is murder before birth. You don’t let a prostitute remain a prostitute, but you make her a murderer as well. You see how drunkenness leads to whoredom, whoredom to adultery, adultery to murder; or rather, something even worse than murder. I have no name to give it, since it does not take off the thing born, but prevents its being born. Why then do you abuse the gift of God and fight with His laws, following after what is a curse as if a blessing, make the chamber of procreation a chamber for murder, and arm the woman that was given for childbearing unto slaughter?"

–St. John Chrysostom, Homily 24 on Romans

>but not a mortal sin, and certainly not murder.
Let her that procures abortion undergo ten years’ penance, whether perfectly formed, or not.

– St. Basil the Great, The First Canonical Epistle to Amphilochius

>Unironically never reading any of the church Fathers
>Unironically never reading Augustine

Ya can quote all the shit you want, it was canonical law from the time of Augustine to the modern era, that abortion was not murder. ...And the Anglican church banned it before the Catholics did to boot.

Augustine believed that an early abortion was not murder because, according to the Aristotelian concept of delayed ensoulment. The Catholic law was based on that assessment, even though he still frowned on the practice.

Thomas Aquinas, Pope Innocent III, and Pope Gregory XIV also believed that a fetus does not have a soul until "quickening," or when the fetus begins to kick and move, and therefore early abortion was not murder, though later abortion was, but their assessment did not change the law.

St. Basil isn't god

Well God didn't say dick about it, so...

Church Fathers man. Not Catholic apostates.

John Chrysostom

>“Wherefore I beseech you, flee fornication. . . . Why sow where the ground makes it its care to destroy the fruit?—where there are many efforts at abortion?—where there is murder before the birth? For even the harlot you do not let continue a mere harlot, but make her a murderess also. You see how drunkenness leads to prostitution, prostitution to adultery, adultery to murder; or rather to a something even worse than murder. For I have no name to give it, since it does not take off the thing born, but prevents its being born. Why then do thou abuse the gift of God, and fight with his laws, and follow after what is a curse as if a blessing, and make the chamber of procreation a chamber for murder? (Homilies on Romans 24 [A.D. 391]).

Jerome

>“I cannot bring myself to speak of the many virgins who daily fall and are lost to the bosom of the Church, their mother. . . . Some go so far as to take potions, that they may insure barrenness, and thus murder human beings almost before their conception. Some, when they find themselves with child through their sin, use drugs to procure abortion, and when, as often happens, they die with their offspring, they enter the lower world laden with the guilt not only of adultery against Christ but also of suicide and child murder” (Letters 22:13 [A.D. 396]).

The Apostolic Constitutions

>"Thou shalt not use magic. Thou shalt not use witchcraft; for he says, ‘You shall not suffer a witch to live’ [Ex. 22:18]. Thou shall not slay thy child by causing abortion, nor kill that which is begotten. . . . [I]f it be slain, [it] shall be avenged, as being unjustly destroyed” (Apostolic Constitutions 7:3 [A.D. 400]).

Further proof that women are heartless and evil monsters that must be controlled with an iron fist, the veil and daily beatings

The fact prostitution is illegal in secular societies is beyond me.

>Thou shalt not use magic

Well thank God I read that because I was just about to hop on my broomstick and turn the annoying kids outside into toads.

Syphillis (at least in the west) and HIV/AIDS didn't exist yet. There was still herpes and gonorrhea and various bacterial infections.

There's evidence of infanticide for ancient Rome. Mass graves of newborns have been found in refuse pits and sewers outside of Roman brothels at several sites, but we may never know how widespread it was because their bones tend to disintegrate so easily.

archive.archaeology.org/9703/newsbriefs/ashkelon.html

>the Greek interpretation of magic is the same as our modern definition
555-come-on-now

>practicing beta folk magic on the neighbors
>not practicing black magic on real enemies

>80% of prostitutes literally have PTSD.
>"what's the problem bro"

>non-soldiers claiming to have PTSD
Into the trash it goes.

>he thinks magic isn't real
Oh, wow.

PTSD has been hollowed out because everyone has it nowadays.
Just like rape. If someone now uses the word 'rape' to describe an event, people don't know if they have to imagine a woman actually getting raped or manspreading. The scope has been widened to the point it has become meaningless and near impossible to actually combat. Like calling everything fascist and racist.

Thank you, leftists.

In the US at least it is because nobody wants to spend the money required to enforce proper labor laws in general, let alone with regards to the sex trade.

That is almost certainly bullshit propaganda from some dumbass feminist org.

>waah I voluntarily sucked a smelly man's dick

Everyone get a load of this retard.

That's actually good point.

They had more than "a" plant, there are in fact dozens of plants and herbs (most quite common and easy to find) that induce contractions, i.e. force a miscarriage.
There was also Silphium in the Roman era, which we assume was a contraceptive. In Renaissance Italy, a halved and squeezed lemon was used something like a contraceptive sponge. As a simple physical barrier to the cervix, it's also fairly effective.

As many others said, there was always infanticide. In most faiths, a baby was not a human until completely out of the womb AND breathing on its own. Strangulation with the umbilical cord was a pretty classic method.

PTSD is a meme people use to get government disability benefits while still being perfectly healthy.

>St. John Chrysostom
Nice try Johnny boy.

#Her body, her choice.

Blue is legal prostitution, but illegal brothels.

>caring what old superstitious men from 1700 years ago thought about women

It's legal or openly tolerated in many 'secular' societies, and religious ones too.

And what exactly is wrong with what he said? It seems actually reasonably likely that a fair number of prostitutes throughout the ages did in fact have illegitimate children.

>forcing women to sell themselves
>blaming them when they kill the baby that would starve to death if born

>Women getting paid to have sex they don't want to have
>not having ptsd

>Waah I was forced to let a man rape my 12 year old pussy because of my social status

>In Renaissance Italy, a halved and squeezed lemon was used something like a contraceptive sponge. As a simple physical barrier to the cervix, it's also fairly effective.
So they would shove a lemon in their vagina before sex and the man would cum into it?

That's certainly something. Sounds highly uncomfortable for the woman.

>In the US at least it is because nobody wants to spend the money required to enforce proper labor laws in general, let alone with regards to the sex trade.

No, in the US it's because of the influence of evangelical Christians on the political process.

I suppose you think it's more reasonable to assume that all prostitutes everywhere always aborted their child?

This, I believe syphilis might have come from the new world and HIV appeared in the last century or so.

red I assume completely illegal, green no laws whatsoever/legal,
orange?
grey?

Green - Prostitution legal and regulated
Blue - Prostitution (the exchange of sex for money) legal, but brothels are illegal; prostitution is not regulated
Orange - Illegal to pay for sex but not to offer the service (client commits crime, prostitute doesn't)
Red - Prostitution fully illegal

legalizing prostitution also eliminates child labour laws and lowers the age of consent to 12?

I guess you've never made lemonade, nor taken anatomy lessons. You juice it and you're left with a cup-like rind. The now empty 'open' pulpy end would be placed (not 'shoved') inside the vagina, over the slightly protruding cervix. Like a hat on a head. Lemons were also generally smaller (and greener) back then compared to what we consider the stereotypical lemon today (a 20th century cultivar). As lemons are acidic, and the vagina is as well, this probably would not cause too much trouble. Taking it out would be messy though, but I guess they'd be used to that. If you've ever fucked a girl with an IUD (as this is Veeky Forums, I'm guessing you may not have), and your dick isn't a mini, you can often feel them, so I assume one would also potentially feel the lemon. But whatever, HAD SEX.

>Sounds highly uncomfortable for the woman.
Not more than many other contraceptions methods, least of all being unmarried and pregnant, then bearing a child to term and killing it as it's half out of your vagina.

Syphilis did come from the new world.

But although some of today's STDs didn't exist yet, this was still an era where people routinely died of fevers, smallpox, measles, cholera, etc.

In Ancient Greece, anal. To the point it was considered a grave insult to fuck your wife up the ass.