What does it mean when someone says they are "self-made?"

What does it mean when someone says they are "self-made?"

It means in a test tube.

It means they're a hermaphrodite who jacked off into their own vagina and gave birth to themselves.

when I look at stuff like this I just want to leave this place forever.
I'm afraid that I'll end up the same in a few years.

They have delusions that they came from nothing/severe disadvantage and achieved whatever status they have purely due to their merit

Part of how conservatives justify their behavior... they consider what they have to have been created by their own two hands

That was the most disgusting thing I have seen in months. That house should be burned to the fucking ground.

I'm curious about what you saw months ago.

That they're like Trump: everything they have came from mommy or daddy so they never had to work for it. Self made.

When you move up this chart by 2 categories and are directly and solely responsible for it.

Now dump more meme happening fucked up threads like that or tell me where can I find them.

I'll never forget working a shitty little telefundraising job at my college where we called the school's alumni and asked for some small contribution that the school would use to reduce the cost of tuition unless the contributor specified that it go to a specific department or something in which case it would be used to create scholarships or whatever. That was a long sentence. Anyway...

I had this woman on the line who berated me saying, "I put MYSELF through college and NO ONE helped me!"

I said, "ma'am, I see you graduated in 1988 and the school has been combating the rising cost of tuition in this way since the 70s, so while you may not have seen an actual 'telefundraising deduction' when you paid your tuition, rest assured that you benefited from the work I'm doing right now whether you realize it or not."

There was a long, long pause like she was considering what I had just told her, and then she snapped, "no! take me off your list!"

She could have just told me that the phone calls annoyed her, but she had to get all high and mighty and give me that self-made, rags-to-riches success story. It was easy for me to refute because, frankly, what I had said was true. And she refused to believe it. Some people...

It means no one "gave" them any money or opportunities through nepotism.

And yes, to me, it does matter.

I am self made. I built my company with my own money, my own effort, and received zero help through family, kinship, or childhood connections.

I think I would appreciate my life less, had I not gone through the struggles that required me to build something all on my own.

If any rich person deserve all my respect is the sel made ones, from the bottom.

Why the fuck is the school bothering graduates to give them MORE money after they have already graduated?

They want the money to """reduce the cost of tuition""" then why don't they simply decrease the cost if their tuition in the first place?

It means someone is bent on obfuscating the source of their success.

My grandmother was poor for most of her life. She grew up with an out house. That said she was never dirty and they always cleaned everything they had. I don't get the connection between poor and dirty. Soap and garbage bags are cheap.

When you're a small business owner just starting out and working 70 hrs a week or a med student studying constantly, then you'll understand why people think that.

Really, the biggest help a person gets is their parents. or the government if they're black. Shit parents make a child's life shit.

You should respect or treat people with respect for their power, not how they got it.

>he worships a gold digging whore that took it up the ass for a position

Have you seen the movie Predestination?

Why would the earth cast a shadow on the plate? The lava is a light source.

Well in the US, wealth is so abundant that, barring extreme outside circumstances, to be poor is to be irresponsible. And an irresponsible person is probably more likely to be dirty than the magna cum laude graduate of whatever shitty state school you're from