Getting into the Magazine Busniess

Always been on my mind to create a fashion magazine and interested if anyone on this board has any experience with professional fashion journalism or even tried to create their own magazine before.

Would love advice on how to start, from selecting models, equipment, mindset, etc.

do you have millions of dollars or investors?

What do you want to talk about in particular?

Start a blog to see if you know how to do all these things. Bundle a months content in a pdf magazine and spread it. You'll find out soon enough. Ramp up investment gradually. And later publish paper version.

Does it really require that much, I know it's not cheap.
Generally how to start, I know that getting people to advertise is an important one. I would also like to know any recommended equipment such as cameras people generally use outdoor shoots.
Okay, I'll get started with this. I was thinking way to big.

I meant, what are the topics in this magazine/blog?

Revolve around urban fashion and the city lifestyle.

If you manage to get traction and have got a legitimate voice, you will get the audience and platform to publish a paper magazine.

It is hard to stand out from the crowd. Just remember that. You could try doing posts as if they are editorials, with lay outs, your own or commisioned photos, graphic design..... maybe print a limited amount of copies and sell them to the audience of the blog. And ramp that activity up slowly.

and make them into a magazine later, once you know there are lunatics out there who value it.

It is fucking hard enough to get people to look at your shit for free. Let alone if they have to pay. Just know that.

what is your angle? there are literally a million other magazines, and (micro)blogs around this topic.

Do you have expertise in a certain field of content creation? what is your current network in the creative field? and your status within that network?

Are you an established individual yet? Or are you starting 'at the bottom'?

>Angle
Well, the urban idea is general. The topic I want to get into isn't too well on Veeky Forums and don't want the idea to be automatically dismissed because of it.
>Network
None currently, I am starting from the absolute bottom

Affordable cameras for photo shoots? Looking at α68 A-mount Camera

Be honest.

OP just start right now, make a blog or website and just start producing content every few days

It's 2017 and magazines are dying out (in the West). Everything is online now

where are you from? if you are Americans then neck yourself

Any SLR will do. Just get a half decent shorter prime lens to start.

Also this. There's almost no cost with that business model except your time, which you're giving up no matter what.

Businesses and people are generally open to you essentially offering them free publicity, even if you're a nobody, unless you find a way to inconvenience them heavily while doing it.

Imagine if Veeky Forums had a magazine. Anyone willing to try this?

Watch Amazon's Playboy series. Its relevant to what youre trying to do.

well /pol/ is studied by intelligence experts right now for the concept of 'crowd sourced intelligence' operations, studying the grass roots trolling pro trump propaganda/trolling campaign and the HWNDU and the Berkeley-bike-lock-basher-hunt.

So I do not see why a forum could be able to write editiorial. Essentially the pastebins and infographics generated by this board could make up a bimonthly magazine.

/p/ could do photoshoots for original photograpy.

one of Veeky Forums's highlights are the nasty take downs of streetstyle and r/mfa pictures. So that could be an extra snarky version of the street style editorial that i-D was famous for in the early days...

pastebins could be edited wikipedia style.

But the thing is at the end of the day any type of content bigger than just a meme would require some sort of creative director and an editors (who would have to be like janitors with an actual creative vision and part of an user collective..... these people are hard to find).

not really completely true. I think there will still be a market for magazines that are coffee-table-book tier. so they are actually beautifully designed objects that also serve the function of a text and photo medium.

Monocle (the magazine for the globalist davos crowd and all who aspire that lifestyle) is a magazine that is still able to grow because of this.

Fantastic Man. arena homme + are also able to this.

Print media is dead.

>NUH UH MUH INDIE PUNX ZINE

The magazine you sell 1 issue/per stanky crustpunk girl blowjob doesn't count, smelly fuck.

Our very own "Stylezeitgeist"?
How many people can write a 2/3 page article?
How would you create digital sewing patterns?

>Creating a print magazine
>Literally the entire industry is moving online
Great idea.

print is making a comeback kinda
cause yuppies and hipsters are big fans of coffee table books they will never read