I have this theory that huge, overpriced brands like Gucci, Raff Simons, Rick Owens, Prada, Versace, what have you

I have this theory that huge, overpriced brands like Gucci, Raff Simons, Rick Owens, Prada, Versace, what have you.

The "big ones". They make ugly ass shit like pic related on purpose because they know autists with money will spend money on them because of the brand name.

So you could make the ugliest thing in the world, slap "Gucci" on it and sell it to some rich dope.

Am I correct?

Other urls found in this thread:

sites.middlebury.edu/individualandthesociety/files/2010/09/Simmel.fashion.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no. it's because they are out of ideas. everything normal has been done. they simply ran out of ideas

sites.middlebury.edu/individualandthesociety/files/2010/09/Simmel.fashion.pdf

see also e.g. bourdieu on distinction; coupled together you have a basic primer on the sociology of fashion

Not mutually exclusive, Ruski boy.

It's called catering to the Chinese market you fucking retard

Keep your "theories" to yourself professor

Makes sense. Still,
>Sociology

>Pure autism lashing out

I respect what Gucci has been doing to be h
Not that many brands are doing out-there stuff. Gucci has been putting out flashy as fuck takes on accepted formal wear
Not everyone wants to be a ninja, some rich dudes just wanna ball out

The problem with your stupid theory is that:

Literally nobody, except fashion consumers, even know those ugly shoes are Gucci. So to the average joe, they're just ugly shoes.

So where is the recognition?

It's like people who do graffiti are literally only doing to impress 0.5% of the worlds population. The rest of the world thinks it's ugly gang shit

>Missing the point this bad
>Having the gall to call anything "stupid"
Jesus Christ, is Veeky Forums populated by the dumbest people on Veeky Forums? We had this debate recently and many people voted for /mu/, but I seriously think it should be Veeky Forums.

>we
>voting for something as retarded as that

you should get a prize for being this autistic

>Being angry because you got outed as a moron
It's ok, let it out.

w2c?

I'm not the person you originally quoted lmao, I just think it's hilarious you're so invested in this shithole that you bring up "debates".

If you try to simplify complex motivations you're going to fall short, whether talking motivations to design a certain way or by a certain product. Obviously, brand recognition plays a huge role in demand, otherwise hype brands wouldn't exist, but I don't think you could chalk up the popularity of all the brands you listed to hype and status symbols.

your theory breaks down when you realize that those super ugly pieces are like 5% of their collection at most

speaking of gucci, i really dig this sweater, would totally cop if it weren't out of my price range

What do you expect them to do. Make stuff every other brand makes and charge ridiculous prices every season. At least with stuff like pic related, they're more one of a kind, and it would be hard to find another brand with something like it for cheap. Therefore in that sense, it is worth the price if you got the money. What do you want them to do, only make basics and charge $785 for them??? I know they still do, but at least with more out of the box designs, allows creatives to pick and choose/experiment with unique pieces. Thats whats fashion is about. They're simply large brands that need to make new designs every season, and simply don't want to put out the same thing year after year, so they experiment with patterns/designs/attempting to bring something new to the table hopefully that hasn't been done before.

Sure you're not, stupid.

lmao stupid idiot!

This was brought up a little bit in the most recent Paris/Milan runway show threads. For the last chuck of the decade, minimalism was pretty much the go to style for most people. And although solid color/non graphic items will always be a staple, most people (i.e. those that follow fashion) have gotten tired of it and want to peacock a little (though probably not to pitti uomo standards). Personally, I think a lot of the bigger fashion houses have just kind of hard lined it a little too much (like in your pic), but that won't stop most consumers from buying them, mainly because of branding. Are they wearable? Yes, but probably not to most of the people who will buy them. In the end, money still can't buy style.

Most concise and well thought answer of this garbage thread.

i think fashion designer just like to have a laugh sometimes and see what they can get away with. margiela once sold just the sole of the tabi boot with some clear tape to tie it to your feet.

god bless

smooth

?

the autism in this thread is palpable, fuck off op and go back 2 reddit

>Sociology
As if you're going to get any sourced work on fashion that isn't sociology. Fashion is Symbolic Interaction dialed up to 11 on meth with conflicted theory thrown in. You can't review fashion without getting into the soci.

why the hell do you think streetwear is a thing, user?

wow this is deep, ,,,,,
never thought it like this....
really makes me.,,...think....