How do you afford high fashion? Are there any legitimately rich posters here or do you just save up one piece at a time?

How do you afford high fashion? Are there any legitimately rich posters here or do you just save up one piece at a time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/lTv52wNT7KA
youtu.be/4lQgjMRbFQA
youtu.be/kYlOn6bG0aE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

finesse

second hand places like grailed is where most people get the top tier brands, some people may genuinely be able to afford it but most posts about high price brands are just people dreaming
also, I've noticed most people here prioritize aesthetic and quality over the brand, especially in footwear here

I have my sources its location dependent doe.

I make alot of my own stuff influenced by their designs.

there are a bunch of rich fags on /fa. some work and just save up.

yes, there are people who are able to do that, I'm just saying most of the higher tier brands you see people wearing here are second-hand

I'm not rich but between me and my gf we make ~$400k a year but we live in an expensive metro area and we save about $1k a month each and we have a pretty active (and expensive) social life so our disposable income isn't comparable to that of truly rich people.
Anyway. I only really got into fashion about 3 years ago and I spend about $7k a year on clothes and my gf surprises me with about another $3k in clothing gifts.
Mostly Yohji, a1923 and CDGH+.
That being said, even though we do relatively well, we still only usually buy high fashion during seasonal sales and we use email promo codes etc.
As for other people here, idk how the fuck they do it. I know there are a few people here with more money than me who are probably even younger than me but no way am I the average poster.
My guess is this: it's like any social media site. People only say something when they have something impressive to say
This leaves the casual reader with the impression that everyone here is always buying top fashion.
tl;dr your keyhole view into the shopping lives of Veeky Forums posters is probably not representative of their average consumption habits

is this new copypasta LMAO

What's copypasta about it, he's just answering the question.

Grailed and sales.

work

I live in Paris, where you can easily get high end stuff at H&M prices when you are patient and know where to look for it.

Also online sales and outlet stores.

u save. i put a side 150-200$ for clothes every month if i feel like it i spend it all for that month, sometimes i save for a few months and spend it all on one big piece

How in the fuck does your household make 400k a year and you still don't consider yourself rich? Literally in the 1%
Though I suppose living in an environment where that's the standard might shift your world view a little.

I don't buy expensive stuff, I am a middle-class student who sometimes saves for something a little more expensive. Later on in life I'll spend more on cool stuff though.

Could you link a solid Paris shopping guide or something else similar? I've been planning revisiting soon.

time to wake up buddy

I don't have millions, but I have high income. My wardrobe is exclusively designer labels, my most expensive piece is a $2000 blouson.

well, I did spent about $1500 on clothes this summer. But then again I made $140k this year alone. Get a good paying job.

I am in a family of corrupt politicians.

Can always resell pieces, so I almost always have a set amount "invested" into highend/hype clothes. Selling something before buying something new, dont buy a big piece every month, things like this enable me to keep a neat wardrobe.

Also play around with different markets, so I can very often resell items for profit, checking sales often, know the prices

u are rich if u dont need to work anymore. they are wealthy

>How in the fuck does your household make 400k a year and you still don't consider yourself rich? Literally in the 1%
*top 1% of households by income. Let's unpack that because some of you might vote and it's worth you understanding a few things.
My gf is an economist and we actually have talked about this quite a bit.
That metric for defining top 1% is misleading because it doesn't take into account *how* you make your money and *where* you make your money.
The how is important because if you're earning a high salary, you're relatively fucked because you're paying income tax on it and you're also working your ass off for it (at a marginal rate of >40% in some cases, plus state income tax and in some cases county income tax). The better scenario is if all your income is from investments and only pay cap gains (15%-20%).
So "top 1%" runs from couples whose net take-home is ~$250k (after tax) and individuals whose net take-home is $340k. That's pretty significant.
Also take into account that people who make their money off investments can do so because they have large stores of capital. This is not the case for us. To the contrary. Our disposable income is further drained because we try to save money every month (we are only starting to build our capital right now).
Where you make your money is also important. Most high paying jobs are in expensive metro areas. You kids are in for a bit of a shock when you leave your dorms and start looking for "effay" places to live in Roppongi, The Mission, Melbs, or Manhattan.
Needless to say if your income is all from investments, you have more flexibility to choose where you live.
Between my gf and I, we're close to the top 1% of households by income (though we file as individuals) but as I've shown above, that group has substantial internal variance.

I get my parents to buy my designer stuff.

You make $400k a year but only save $1k a month...

Somethin' ain't right here.

Yeah seconded, will be in Paris soon, want to avoid the tourists in the Galeries Lafayette

Mens second hand preferably

So me and my gf file separately but after federal, state and county tax we have about $230k left
Downtown apartment $3500 rent a month ~$40k a year
House cleaner twice a week at $70-$100 a pop depending on the company (still haven't foul a reliable house keeper that will stay on long term) $8000 a year
We don't pack lunch and usually just buy food at work. ~$15 a day each so ~$8k a year
Dates, dinners, etc in a big city ~$4k a year
Ski season all in (we own our equipment, but passes, air travel, and board for 2) ~$15k a year
We both max out our 401k so that's about another $36k (this is retirement saving, I don't count this as regular saving so maybe this is part of the confusion)
$2k regular (medium term) savings a month each for another $24k
Car payments + insurance + maintenance ~$7k
What are we at now? $142k
Just got back from a 2 week trip to Japan. That was another $15k. 1 week in Tokyo/Kyoto, another week hiking up north in Hokkaido. We usually take 2 big trips like that a year not including skiing which is mostly long weekend trips.
The japan trip was the most expensive in a while though so I'll say on average vacations are $20k a year.
So that's $162k I'm more or less aware of how it gets spent. Another $10k roughly on clothing. Let's call it $15k including all bs personal shopping including headphones, running/hiking/skiing gear
$179k I know how we spend. I'm vaguely aware of my gf's discretionary spending habits. She's not into high fashion as much as I am but I do see a constant slew of amazon boxes flowing through my apartment every day that aren't mine so that's gotta take its toll.
At first I felt kinda dumb doing this at the behest of some anonymous poster but desu it has been informative to think about my finances.
I'm gonna be more inquisitive about the remaining ~$60k. She's in finance so I'm assuming investments of some sort, life insurance or alternate savings.
Pic: gran bell hotel in Kyoto. Nice place but the Ryokans are cooler.

How wasteful.

Which part? Where would you cut back? I've been thinking of getting rid of the car because it's just a burden in the city.
Thinking electric scooter plus zipcar for road trips.
The cleaning is a must because we work all the time and don't have time.
Vacations are expensive but Jesus Christ man. I don't work my ass off to live like a church mouse.
Checked with gf and she reminded me of "unforeseens" like I had a $2k car repair + service bill a few months ago.
Cell phone and utility bills and various and sundry other subscriber services.
Apparently she also changed our monthly savings to $2k a month so there's that.
It all adds up, user.
Pic: st Mortiz February last
Btw I came from nothing but I got a few good gigs in tech so anyone could do this shit

what city do you work in and what do you mean by a few good gigs?

Major US city. My first gig was an internship at a big tech company (think Facebook/Apple/Microsoft) and I've pretty much rode that ever since. Getting a good salary bump after every move.
If this helps, I'm probably older than many of you too. Late 20s.
So you've still got time.

I'd say the most wasteful is the rent. Buy something unless there's no way you can. What I'd do is live a little more frugally and save so I could buy out of the city. 1.5k rent, still take trips but not all-inclusive (hostels, couch surfing, etc.) Also, I have no clue how you have time to take two major trips per year while not having time to do a little house cleaning. You live in an apartment, not a mansion. Pack your own lunch. Spend less on clothes. You can still look good without spending the better part of 20k on them.

Rent: 20k/yr
Clothes: 5k/yr
Vacations: Cut down a little and you can you can manage with 8-10k per trip
etc, etc. No house cleaner, no packed lunches. You can easily save another 2-3k a month. Maybe more. user, what position would you be if you lost your job tomorrow? Think of that.

Also, remember I'm not making $400k alone. Only about half of that. Less, actually. Gf makes more than me. Fucking finance.
It would be really impressive if I could swing $400k by myself

If you don't mind saying, what sort of jobs do you guys have?

The apartment is a longer conversation. Is a commitment issue of mine because I wouldn't be doing it alone but we've talked about it.
Living outside the city is a non starter for me because I love waking out my front door and having bars and restaurants and clubs right there instead of catching an uber like some schlub
>user, what position would you be if you lost your job tomorrow? Think of that.
I wouldn't be completely fucked because I have an in-demand skill set but I've thought about it. Some people brought up poor are very frugal. Others like me spend it as fast as they make it.
It's something that I'm working on. The monthly savings and 401k contributions were some compromises the gf forced me to make. She's better with money than I am

Manager at tech startup these days

Chef at Wendy's

maybe his time is worth more to him than the money he spends on house cleaner. maybe he could be more frugal on plane tickets and travel but that's the thing, some people don't want to settle -- traveling on a budget requires time and effort, looking for cheap tickets, booking airbnb, etc. you'd have to travel where it's cheap, and if you want to do japan right now right here with no other possible locations then it'll be more expensive. not bashing, just thinking about what i'd do. living in the city offers a lot of fun opportunities, and if he enjoys sponsoring and getting clothing that he likes, there's nothing wrong with that.

>Tfw late twenties and unemployed
>Oh what's that? Don't have above a 3.8 gpa?
No internship for you.
>Oh what's that? You didn't have an internship?
No job for you.
>Talks to reporter about how they can't fill open positions because it's such a tight job market with not enough applicants
I'm pretty much going to live my life as a vagrant since it's such a vicious cycle.

Sorry to hear that user. I'm no genius but I can write some good code on occasion.
I got the original internship through a friend who recommended me.
I had to pass the interview of course but they have so many applications that they start with the ones recommended internally.
Use your connections and pay it forward when you recognize talent later on.
I staffed a whole cohort of developers at my first intern gig after I started there full time.
Some are even doing better than me these days, which is great because maybe one day they'll give me my next leg up if I'm good enough.

can I borrow a dollar?

stop acting so cool

depends on the location of the source or the location of the recipient? post what you got. it's bound to help someone

>Use your connections
I have literally no connections. Not a single person I was close to got a job out of school either and my school is not known for its finance program so no alumni network either.

never
its this basically for me. But I live in the western united states
see above

your money management Is terrible. Get rid of the maid and the skiing. Also 15 dollars a day for packed food your retarted. Just bring some Pringles or some shit. Also for 1,200-1700 dollars a month you can lease a Bentley. Better money be spent there. Also hire a tax lawyer to see if you can rearrange your money to pay less tax its worth it for you. Since your loosing so much to uncle Sam. Also you could move to a different state with no state tax if you are able to move. Talk to a lawyer you will thank me later. I now understand why my parents are millionaires. Terrible money management

I would never hire your gf as an economist.
What the actual fuck.

You're all so fucking retarded it's astounding

Even top tier replicas from china are still hundreds to thousands off and will be made 95% to error free.

Every month i buy 20 pairs of fake yeezys from literally same factory owners as kanye and i make enough to cover rent and live comfy in LA

>You're all so fucking retarded it's astounding
>Every month i buy 20 pairs of fake yeezys

i can barely afford uniqlo

lmao an anonymous dude on Veeky Forums telling someone obviously successful how to live his life

>people shouldn't spend the money they make
This is why no one takes Veeky Forums seriously. Personal Finance 101 but nothing beyond that.

desu you should give my resume to your gf
I would literally move across country for a job at this point

Back when I lived near Tokyo, it was all second hand. Every good designer consignment store sold plenty of CDGH+ and I knew certain places that specialized in the Yohji Pour Homme/older Rei karasuzoku look.

Could get good Helmut for a hundred bucks sometimes.

Exactly what I was thinking.

No, but I think I have 99 cents I can loan to you at a 5% interest.

Go out and meet people, that's surely the best way to come across someone that can lend you a hand to get into something noteworthy.

how to find the same factories/good replicas?

I'm finishing a master in economics this year. How do I get a job like your girlfriend's ?

Cozy up with your professors. Ask if they need help with their research.
Do grunt work.
In my gf's case this resulted in a few things:
- course credit for helping profs
- profs writing her glowing recommendations for her first gig
- profs putting in a good word with former colleagues of theirs in her current gig (which resulted in interview and hiring)
- got credited by name on an AER-published paper

She went to a good school too but the idea is not to coast in college. It's not a 9-5.
Figure out how to make the most of it in terms of burnishing your brand, learning useful shit and making good connections.
I checked about this. The big hiring is at the beginning of the summer. Mostly unpaid internships right now though some guy who started out as an intern just made full-time

Meh, I buy it. I work as a personal assistant to a banking executive who makes at least $250,000 a year, possibly more, and he doesn't consider himself rich. He lives in a modest one bedroom condo and freaks out about small purchases which he considers "excessive" such as his wife spending $50 a month on vitamin and protein supplements. Yes, yes, "he has a personal assistant and isn't rich?" but he actually needs one because of health reasons. He is wheelchair bound and pays all of my salary with a subsidy from the government.

I don't think people realize how easy it is to spend ridiculous amounts of money. That's why you hear of athletes and rappers who have made 8-9 figures going bankrupt. And rich is all relative. It's easy to perceive someone making 6 figures a year as rich, but that person probably knows people who make 7 figures, own mansions and private jets, and so they consider THAT as the definition of being rich.

But really, y'all need to stop being some jealous ass bitches.

kek'd hard

You'll never get rich shits to say they're rich user.

See

>got credited by name on an AER-published paper

damn, i'd hire your gf as an economist

Maybe communism is worth another try.

>Others like me spend it as fast as they make it.
You deserve to be shot. Richfag holocaust when?

Might have to do this.

Honestly its a solid business plan. If I wasn't concerned about getting fucked by the law I'd buy good lucking fakes to sale at a profit.

Is /pol/ communist now?? Lol?

>pays 170 thousand dollars in taxes
nice FREE country

secondhand goods or off sale websites

Maybe, maybe not. You're just a retard that doesn't understand money and should live in containment with other such retards

Yeah, shame on him. He's helping to keep people who work in the service industry employed. And I'm sure he enjoys living his life, which is more than I can say for most of you self-loathers.

>Y'all need to stop being some jealous ass bitches.
N-no you

i think you might just be retarded friendo

I sell lots of drugs

That's because rich people usually know people with way more money. Unless you're Saudi royalty, you always think, "I'm not rich. That guy over there though, that's rich."

>Gf makes more than me. Fucking finance.
Investment banking or as a quant?

>House cleaner twice a week at $70-$100 a pop depending on the company (still haven't foul a reliable house keeper that will stay on long term) $8000 a year
>We don't pack lunch and usually just buy food at work. ~$15 a day each so ~$8k a year
>Dates, dinners, etc in a big city ~$4k a year

This, I used to buy it during ssense sale until the CAD went down and were trying to fuck over the canadian customers

Lol

I'm going to school and I own lots of clothing from YYPH to DVN, most of the people on this board are just not very good at the whole fashion thing, let alone dressing themselves

There's a lot of kid's with rich parents and a lot of them gravitate to Veeky Forums, you just don't live in area's where these little shit's are out and about, watch some of these vid's youtu.be/lTv52wNT7KA
youtu.be/4lQgjMRbFQA
youtu.be/kYlOn6bG0aE
Copenhagen, New York, London
Paris etc.

>Supposedly has gf in finances
>Can't budget for shit and complains about how they aren't actually as rich as everyone thinks they are
>$10k on clothing, being a trendhopping faggot

I bet you buy mr porters recommended running gear instead of shit that's on sale to try and flex.

>Pretty much every outfit over 100 looked like complete shit
really makes u think huh

>Jealous commie who wants the same lifestyle in the name of 'peasants' Revolution'.

Best fit from the first vid is the Korean kid, best fit in second one is the kid with the mustard sweater. Both of them are two of the cheapest fits. Then you have guys like the one after the mustard sweater who has a $1500 outfit that looks like shit. LOL

for ages i couldnt afford anything remotely high fassion, im not from the richest family and still studying at uni, so what i ended up doing was reselling things like supreme, yeah its a lot of work but you can make a lot doing so and at any point pull out and just enjoy some of the peices you've collected, personally i dont like supreme so ive never been tempted to keep a peice i normally sell on within the first couple days of a drop but i can see why some resellers wear the clothes they are currently reselling