How do I become Holden Caulfield?

How do I become Holden Caulfield?

Step 1. Buy pic
Step 2. Act like a self loathing jackass

i never got whats so good about this book desu
someone care to explain?

First, you need mild autism and a dead brother.

why aspire to be like somebody that doesn't even want to be themselves?

If you didn't read it when you were about Holden's age then you probably won't get it, sorry

not true. the book is about disillusioned youth and is relatable for a lot of teens, but Salinger wasnt a YA author. As an adult you can pick up on holden's immaturities and remember when you were like him, scared and confused. Also it's just well written.

well you got the faggot part down already so the rest will just fall into place

Absolutely, I clicked with him so much when I was younger. Like my own words were coming from someone else, there was such a comfort in that. Rereading it as I grew older helped me get perspective on my own flaws that I started recognizing in him

Join a Masonic Lodge.

catch a dick in your throat

This. Holden was a closet case.

It's a coming of age story that revolves around the theme of self-loathing, depression, and transitioning to adulthood.

become a really good ultra hacker

Dress preppy and wear a red hat, but not when people might actually know you. Make sure that your demeanor is that of a spurned senior.

catcher in the eye is the scenario holden sets up in where a bunch of kids are playing around near a cliffs edge and just as they are about to fall off, he catches them

ie he doesn't want children to grow up because they will experience horrible shit like he has

ending is literally phoebe going round and round in a carousel symbolizing holden's attempt to prevent her from growing up

to be holden caulfield is to set up a dream scenario which is unattainable. so grats you already have one by dreaming that one day you'll be /fa and get your dick wet.

By being a whiny little bitch
Goddamn I have absolutely no idea why everyone and their mom loved this book, it's legitimately one of the worst written books I've ever read, and inevif the most boring and whiny MC I've ever read.

It's truly appalling that this book got sooo much praise, it's fucking horrible to say the least

Same

Also, I love how people tell me that "well, you just can't identify with character, looks like you've never experienced any hardship turning into adulthood" when I'm the most autistic piece of shit manchild that walked this earth. I'm still a child at 23 speaking both physically and mentally, and I don't think that there is any change under way.

I'm pretty sure the main reason I hated it, is because I feel like it makes light of my personal problems, and applies a normie perspective of "oh well, we all felt like this once : )"

Fuck this shit
It's like a

i thought he had a good grasp on what precisely sexually frustrated immature nerd-types felt like at a certain age. a lot of energy and motivation but no direction. kinda like pinkerton by weezer. not my favourite book though

to get back to OT, it's hard to be simultaneously disillusioned and effay, huh. like did you guys see jim carrey's nihilistic rants in his recent interviews? absolutely disgusting desu

i think cobain had the right idea with it though

people really do eat up the untrustworthy narrator technique. surely you're being hyperbolic––i wouldn't call it the GOAT but it's at the least somewhat good

well you just can't identify with character looks like you've never experienced any hardship turning into adulthood

pls do not attempt it, you'd go to jail

I don't think it's valid to say that it is making light of personal problems or applying a normie perspective. That might be the common interpretation, but JD Salinger was a recluse for the 60 years after his fame began... Dude is literally Holden Caulfield. I don't think he was pushing any normie agenda.

id rather be max caulfield

Why would you want to?

Just kill yourself like he should

>Buying the Holden Caulfield Hat (registerd trademark) to be like Holden Caulfield
don't do this
get some other stupid hat and wear it all the time, OP, just not a hat just like his.

t. brainlet

The story of Catcher in the Rye is being told by Holden to a shrink in a mental institution. It is hardly applying a "normie perspective," but rather, what it's like to have anxiety.

Sounds exactly like something Holden Caulfield would say. Quit being so boring and whiny.

If you came away from reading this book wanting to be Holden than you're a fucking idiot
I connected with Holden's character which made me realize that I was being a shithead as a teen and it was time to grow up
Get your shit together, if you think everyone around you is a phoney it's probably you that's got the problem