At what age should aspiring Veeky Forumsnessmen move out?

At what age should aspiring Veeky Forumsnessmen move out?

I know saving money is important but are the meager savings really worth it past a few years of doing so?

Personally I'm 21 still living with my parents to save money but I live in a shitty area with minimal jobs and I don't even like it here. Should I be moving out and becoming an adult? Most on Veeky Forums seem to say you should stay with your parents as long as possible still...

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.com/news/technology-33480257
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Whenever you can afford it

But you can afford it almost always, the question is when is it a good financial decision?

When you get a job more than 20 minutes away from your parent's place.

Great album

I'd rather give my money to my parents than a black hole for big boy stickers.

>I'd rather give my money to my parents than a black hole for big boy stickers

But what about the freedom and opportunity you get from living alone?

Kinda makes you feel emasculated and child-like to continue living with them as an adult, doens't it?

As soon as you are able to support yourself.

But even 18 years old on minimum wage can support themselves, doesn't make it a good choice tho.

I got everything set up to do it before I turn 19 (A few more months and I'm there).
My parents oppose it, but the university I want to attend is far away, and I really want the freedom of having my own place. Most of this freedom is about the bone zone.

I'm 22 and have a job making $55k/yr and I live with my mom. I've had the job for a year now. I have about $26k in savings which was pretty easy to do. I pay my mom $500/mo as coverage for rent and utilities. The downside is I have to commute a long distance for work and it's starting to take a toll on my car. I also don't really like living with my mom that much. I'm planning on moving out in the next month or two.

Honestly it depends on your relationship with your parents. My mom is depressed all the time and I think she might be somewhat dependent on alcohol. Living with her bums me out. The only reason I waited so long was because she needed help with bills but I found out my grandfather has been giving her $2k a month on top of what she gets from working so I don't know why she's begging me to stay.

Sorry for the blogpost. The point is if you get along with your parents and they don't piss you off all the time then there's nothing wrong with staying.

I don't get along with though and the area is hurting my job prospects quite a bit...

Then move

But muh savings

I'm just not sure at which point the positives outweigh the negatives desu

I'm 20, and I want to start living in a trailer. My parents said that I can come back living with them whenever I want. Is it worth it? I will have running water, shower, proper toilet, electricity, TV and high speed Wifi in the trailer, and everything will be paid for by my parents - even the trailer and the parking rent. I will take my Xbox One and stuff with me too.

In the spare time, I want to work as a web designer or a GUI programmer (have the work experience) online, without even leaving the trailer. Then, I want to maybe buy a proper house and get into trading.

Also a side question: I'm pursuing a math degree, since I love math, and I aspire to get a tenure one day. Is it worth it? Should I just abandon my intellectual aspirations to live a life of consumerism?

If your parents are cool with you living with them, the only reason to move out would be if you had a girlfriend and need privacy for sex. Otherwise, live with your mom and dad. Who gives a shit? Save that money you earn or spend on some shit you really enjoy instead of rent.

I'm a 25 year old accountant and I still live at home. I cover a few bills for my parents (cable, water), but otherwise my paychecks are mine and I get the privilege of coming home to home cooked meals each night.

I'm 22, and the only reason I'm not currently living with my parents is because I happened to land a job which paid substantially higher in a different state than what I could find in my local area. So, I moved out closer there, and even though I pay $1k a month in rent, I'm actually making more than I currently would be working probably a few dollars more over minimum wage living with my parents.

It all just depends on circumstance

>free bed
>free food sometimes
>more money to be saved
Move out when you feel financially and emotionally ready OP. Anything past 25 and you fucked up

I personally have hit that point. Maybe it will take longer for you I don't know. I constantly feel like I don't have any privacy. When I come home I just want to stay in my room because I don't want to talk to my drunk mom. I don't cook things because I don't want to go in the kitchen with her, etc. It's really having a negative impact on my life. The only plus is that at work they think I'm a hard worker because I spend a lot of time up there when in reality it's just because I like being there more than I do being at home.

I was the same way in school desu. I've been putting up with this shit my whole life and now I can finally change it.

>When I come home I just want to stay in my room because I don't want to talk to my drunk mom

This is me. Every single time I spend time with my family pretty much since around 8 years old it ALWAYS turns into an argument or a fight unless I literally just ate my food and then ran to my room or whatever it was.

>I don't cook things because I don't want to go in the kitchen with her, etc

This too. Mom has always be saying passive aggressive bullshit like "oh isn't that too much? I don't think you contribute enough to the house to be taking so much of the food" even when I was underaged and couldn't get a job.

>The only plus is that at work they think I'm a hard worker because I spend a lot of time up there when in reality it's just because I like being there more than I do being at home

This man. I try to spend as little time as possible at home, work - gym - library - hanging out with friends.

I guess I've just gotten used to it but this shit really does stink aside from all the savings.

You guys really made me reconsider, I think i'm going to move out soon.

Move out.

Same here, 25yo CPA. I live in a major metro, think NYC/SF prices, so if I moved out I would have a longer commute, smaller living space, and roommates in all likelihood.

What are the benefits of moving out for me? If I just want a place by myself I easily bank enough for an airbnb or something whenever I want.

Eventually I'll move out next time there's a real estate down-tick I guess, but for now I don't really see a reason to.

bump

move out

If you ask me, the experience you get from leaving your parents home is worth more than the money you save. Unless you can't afford it at all and will be hungry, in that case, stay.

What experiences tho really, aside from budgeting and such it's pretty much the same you're just paying out the ass

Before you're 20 years old

How the fuck do your parents tolerate that? My mom told me she loves me and stuff, but it really was time for me to move out when I turned 19.

Shiet.

How did you survive at 19 though? Unless you got a pretty decent job I don't really see how that's possible...

I'm 24 finished college, moved home making 36k a year and over 80% of my income is going to savings, investments and retirement. I will likely stay at home for another year so I have a pretty penny to leave with. My parents don't ask for rent, I do all the yard work and house repairs. My dad is stage 4 (cancer) so I think they are ok with having someone around to cut the lawn for free and mulch the beds etc etc

Btw, fuck the social stigma of living at home. It won't work if you and your parents don't jive that well, but the money I'm putting away is ludicrous. I just started robinhood trading this month and made 14% gains on safe short term trades my first month. If I can even manage 10% gains/month avg for 3 years with 10k, that 10k turns into 36k. Even more if I make deposits into my investments (which I plan on doing, remember 80% of my income goes to savings). I'll move out at some point yeah but right now I'm feeling rich as fuck even though my wages are meager.

You sound like me but a lot more retarded. I am reevaluating my own lack of focus/realism now that I hear how dumb you sound.

This. Share user.

>moved out 2 weeks after highschool ended (at 18) to attend a university a few thousand miles away on virtually what is a full ride scholarship

>initially worked as a webadmin so had just enough income for rent/food

>20 now, girlfriend moved in with me, rent is $500 and we split it, I work as a part time technician now while still attending the university.

Life is fantastic, even when I look back to living on a mattress pad, whereas I was unable to afford furniture for a few months.

Even if you pay for your food/gas and help around with some labor you'll still get out ahead very well because rent is usually everyone's largest expense. I think it usually takes up a third of everyone's budget so having that extra money can go towards a nest egg

>not having a job in hs and saving up

So basically you are living on savings and will be poverty tier soon enough.
Sounds like a retarded plan

I don't know about you guys but moving out for me was a really great experience. I feel the struggle helped me grow as a person and in the end helped me get to were I am today.

Why retarded? I get autismbux anyway, so I can live in a trailer and just play vidya all day long.

Wow really living the life huh.

what's your mental illness and how much do you get?

>move out
Why? I've put money/labor into the house I live in (parent's house) and they essentially guaranteed it for me after they pass. Plus taking care of a schizophrenic brother.

Also all the money you save from working. If your parents are cool like mine and literally let you keep your whole paycheck you are able then to save ten grand and open a portfolio or a pot garden.

Fuck your morals, Nigger. Get rich, or die neet.

The diagnostic code that I was given is atypical autism/PDD-NOS, and I get about a thousand dollars each month.

$1000/month is less than I earn every 3 days

Why do you think I don't deserve it? My moderate autism makes it close to impossible for me to socially interact at even the most basic level, and my sensory and cognitive abnormalities make me stuck in my own world of narrow interests.

I'm sorry that you had to go through this, and you should probably contact the NAMI and look into getting voluntarily admitted in a hospital, since the hospital can basically confirm your diagnosis and do all the paperwork for you. Tell them about what happened while you're still lucid.

Let me guess, you're a carder?

>Why do you think I don't deserve it? My moderate autism makes it close to impossible for me to socially interact at even the most basic level, and my sensory and cognitive abnormalities make me stuck in my own world of narrow interests.

That sounds shitty man. I guess you deserve it.

Do you have any friends or gf? can't imagine someone suffering like this would...

Any medication helped you so far or nah? My prayers are with you anyways. Hope you feel better

I have no friends and no girlfriend. The only real life "friends" I had for the last 10 years were arranged for by my parents, and I was unable to keep even them. The only thing that brings me joy in this life is Veeky Forums and vidya.

I used to program a lot when I was a child, and I wrote mods, cheats and viruses for some games with the only person whom I considered to be a friend, even though I only knew him online. He was the only person who tolerated my autism. Then, he got arrested by the services for a massive DDoS. Here's the BBC article about his arrest:
bbc.com/news/technology-33480257

Now, I have no friends at all - not even online ones.

Damn your life sucks dick.

You deserve all the welfare you can get, I don't feel bad for paying taxes. I wouldn't want to be you for a day.

The NEETs really are to be pitied...

If I had maturity at that point boy if be easy better off in life

What a carder?

Could I ask what you two do?

How much do you earn? (£$)

>bbc.com/news/technology-33480257

Maybe you should fuckin kill yourself you awkward little white fuckbag

Even black people all have jobs now.

>Even black people all have jobs now.
>saying this unironically with a democrat...worse, Obama as the president

>vidya
throw that shit out, tv too...you wont ever gain anything from it
>My moderate autism makes it close to impossible for me to socially interact at even the most basic level
Get into self development , maybe even ask people for help in a PUA-forum (Pick up is mostly about self development).
Get a gym membership, learn how to cook, get fit, take care of your appearance, read a book at least every 2 weeks, become an early riser (not hard, just go to bed earlier) and take morning walks or maybe even go for a jog (helped me overcome my depression), greet every stranger you see and maybe ask for directions/time and get a job where you have a lot of social interaction going on.

36k here, skilled labor. Patios, construction, flooring. So I'm not using my BS at all right now. Job market isnt bad but all the jobs available dont interest me. I've been offered lab tech positions where I sit and process samples all day like a machine. It's really not much different than working in a glorified factory. I like skilled trade and my last couple bosses net 6 figures and run their own small companies. I might just stick to the trade and start getting the tools I need to hire a guy and go off on my own in a couple of years

Lol, the type of autism I have is very visible, I would scare women away when approaching. Others told me that they could easily tell I had autism even before I told them.
As for the rest, I will try that, but I would rather have a job that fits my narrow interests than one that requires lots of social interaction. I wouldn't be able to do a job that requires lots of socializing. It's beyond my abilities.

>she's depressed and will likely turn to some drug use when you leave
>LMAO WHY SHE BEGGING ME TO STAY
I don't know user, why would the person who gave birth to you and raised you want you around? She's the only mother you're gonna get, give her a nice vacation or some shit and help her through her depression

no amount of money can buy back a parent's love when they die user pls trust me

I don't know mate, but I love that album

SDRE are fucking awesome

Yeah great band

When your parents die or when theres good job offers abroad, financially speaking.

$55k here, I am a credit risk analyst for an auto lender.

im 36 live at home make 80k a year and i buy a new car every 3 years with the money i save. currently in a white 2014 sti

I understand where you're coming from and I kept this mentality for the longest time. I'm not happy living here. I'm going to stop living here because it makes me unhappy. It took me a long time to figure that out but it's really that simple. It's not like I'm going to stop talking to her or something. I just don't want to live with her anymore.

>meager savings
>savings
>ever meager
Every penny counts. I ruined a guy's life* over $20. The more I save the easier it will be for my startup, which I'm planning frugally. If it fails, I don't need to worry about paying the bills, and can go into another plan. Currently 18, my job is only 9 minutes away. Moving out would sap my income, which is decent, for my age. Even if I split utilities and rent with multiple people I still have to pay for food and essentials, which others would be likely to leech. I have a vehicle, but I don't drive to save on insurance and gas. Eventually I'm buying cheap timberland from a family friend and selective cutting which will hopefully cut down on the price. Farmland is subsidized, so that will be looked into. The dream is to build a hovel which is unable to be taxed, shed diameters, bunker if possible, to avoid scoundrels (common in the area). If I find a way to work around taxes for land I could live relatively free. Hunters are common, and farmers even more, cutting the middleman with as few exceptions as possible.

good copypasta

You're 18 stfu, you are clueless about life

Hindsight is 20/20.

Sorry for being a dick, I was fucking with you, didn't think you had real autism. I feel you man. I'm an ADHDfag, and I'm studying finance before I get into trading. It might suit us. Nowhere near as socially impaired as you tho. Still don't have a lot of friends, but I can communicate.

Unless you're boning women pretty frequently it's not worth it imo. Just get a nice hotel for the night, you save money that way.

Neither of my parents live in a metro area where there is good tech jobs.

I haven't lived with my parents since I was 18, and I've done just fine.

Best case scenario is obviously having a convenient job within walking distance of your parents' house.

You could easily save up tens of thousands each year.

You should be leasing if you're trading out that often.

There's no way you're coming out ahead by buying and dumping 3 years later.

bump

25 and at home. planning on movie out in a couple years when I can afford to buy a wife.