Does anyone on Veeky Forums actually dress professionally for work or play?

Does anyone on Veeky Forums actually dress professionally for work or play?

Has tweed gone from the country to the city?

Do knitted ties have a place in the office?

Is linen too rumply for a board meeting?

Yes

Kinda

Depends

Depends

It really depends on the kind of company you're working at. Look around you and get a sense of the sartorial culture.

I've found that most places either stick to a pretty conservative style of dress where things like tweed or linen sport coats would look too casual, or have gone so casual that anything more formal than a dress shirt and slack would make you look stodgy and overdressed.

You'd have to work somewhere that fancy clothing isn't out of place, but where they're still flexible about the traditional "rules" of men's clothing. Probably something in the creative sector would be a good bet.

OP, I wear a sports jacket everyday (gov office job),
>inb4 NSA spy for your mongolian watercoloring forum

>tweed
It will always be country but can be toned down for the city, as in don't go full jacobite or something
>knitted ties
Sure but that that level of formality, I'd rather just go tieless. You're making a statement with knit ties.
>linen
Too casual for most unless you are having your meeting at the park during the summer

How do people in the south manage to wear a suit during summer?

I live in the north and every time summer rolls around I am wishing I owned a full wardrobe of linen.

Seersucker

Summer suit plus short sleeved dress shirts.

I am a medfag and i dress business casual for work.

Really looking into saving up and getting myself some 3 piece suits

>Does anyone on Veeky Forums actually dress professionally for work or play?
Yes.
>Has tweed gone from the country to the city?
It really depends on season, area, and industry.
>Do knitted ties have a place in the office?

>Is linen too rumply for a board meeting?
The soul of a linen suit is in its "rumply-ness"; i.e., anyone that would complain about a linen suit wrinkling easily is retarded. As whether or not its appropriate, it depends mostly on the season on the area. Florida? Yes, it's absolutely fine. NYC in the winter? Not really.

You use a quarter lining or a suit that is linen/cotton.

It depends on the tie. Grenadine ties/Crunchy knit? Most places it'll be fine. Soft knits or odd patterns? No.

>Does anyone on Veeky Forums actually dress professionally for work
Yes

>or play?
By definition no. Plus business suits aren't the most pleasing to the taste, so why?

Inarguably yes. Fastidious people might complain but at a time when most people wear jeans and puffy synthetic jackets, they can shut right the fuck up.

No. They're very casual, frankly they barely have a place anywhere although I've seen some decent blazer/trouser fits with one. Don't wear with suits though.

>Is linen too rumply for a board meeting?
Yes. Linen is a casual material, not business suit stuff at all. If you're board level you'd hopefully have known this for some time already. If you want a light, breathable suit (not that now's the season for it) the only acceptable option is a lightweight worsted, really. Silk makes you look like an oily dago so that's right out along with the linen.

>Inarguably yes.
Addition to this for clarity: tweed isn't a business suit material either, though. If you're wearing biz cas a grey herringbone sportcoat over some cords or the like can work fine, but otherwise it's entirely for wearing casually on your own time, unless your job happens to be to sell menswear in which case your employer might be fine with or even prefer it.

I do, but I don't have to. It's expected of the junior people but the higher ups (those with job security) dress in jeans/casual pants and polo shirts or dress shirts.

I wear a tie a few times a week but mostly wear an unbuttoned OBD in a solid color from Brooks Bros and a jacket. Summer I wore less.

I usually wear business casual pants and shoes.

The shoes in my rotation not including 4 pairs of boat shoes and 2 other Wingtips

And the Florsheim wingtips with a v-cleat and the Allen Edmonds MacNeil (looks similar but the AE are more sleek and comfy.)

I have a few tweed jackets I wear to casual events during the winter. People call me stodgy because I'm one of the only married people around. I think the tweed is pretty nice.

I have a JCrew Ludlow jacket made of Yorkshire tweed and people think it's amazing.

I mostly wear a black label Ralph Lauren blue blazer, a black one, and a dark colored very fine/thin corduroy RL jacket. People think I dress much better than I do because all of my jackets are tailored. Truth is, I've bought nearly all the nice clothes from a local thrift store that is run by a community of wealthy people.

Seriously, They have Zegna jackets and shirts all over the place, but I don't have a 17 inch neck or a size 48 chest, nor is my waist 40 inches!

>tfw have a weird shoe size and destroy fucking shoes or have to fork out a grand+ to get them custom made.

I do too, basically, what I've done is bought lots of second hand shoes (the tramezza's were literally $29 shipped) to figure our what brands and lasts fit me best.

I also put in silicone slips and try out different socks with shoes.

The sizing is also really strange on shoes. I wear about an 8.5E or 9D depending on the shoe. The Canali are made for slender little italians so they are a 9.5 and have a long toe.

The Zegna shoes are an 8EE/41 and fit as long as the 42.

Read on the different lasts and try out a few things.

Pretty much everyone wears business casual for selling menswear these days, the only salesmen in navy worsted wool suits at Nordstrom are over the age of 50

>Pretty much everyone wears business casual for selling menswear these days, the only salesmen in navy worsted wool suits at Nordstrom are over the age of 50
That's why I said "might be". If you work in a shop that sells tweeds, most obviously, it would make sense for you to wear it.

I don't know what the worsteds have to do with it, I was talking about tweed specifically.

I just said worsted because it's the standard business suit fabric, what I really meant is that few menswear retailers require full business attire from their employees, even if they're mostly selling business attire. That said, I've done the majority of my menswear shopping on the west coast so that may skew things in the casual direction.