Why was Muhammad Ali given a Roman name (Cassius Marcellus) at birth? Were his parents huge classicists or something...

Why was Muhammad Ali given a Roman name (Cassius Marcellus) at birth? Were his parents huge classicists or something? Evidently the given name of Ali's father was also Cassius Marcellus Clay, but I can't find much more about it than that.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassius_Marcellus_Clay_(politician)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They probably just liked the name m8 what more thought do you really expect regular people to put into it?

In the south some slave owners would ironically name their enslaved victims roman names like Cesar or Nero or what ever. Kind of ducked up but like black Americans being stripped on their language and traditional names they adapted and sometimes continued the practice.

Idk dude, it just seems really unusual. In America, interest in the classical world has historically been the realm of white aristocracy & the upper class, but Ali was the son of a black sign painter from Louisville.

Oh wow, I had never heard about that. Makes a lot of sense though. Thanks.

Maybe they did not want him to become a ghetto ass bitch nigger?

HE WUZ KANGZ

NOS REGES ET STERCORE NIGGER

Yeah, basically it was similar to naming your dogs classical names, it was to show off your education. There was an added element of irony though with slaves, literal human property destined to a life of servitude given the name of a great leader or mythic hero.

>ironically
Did they ironically name their kids Cletus too?

Cassius Marcellus Clay was an Anglo American abolitionist.

Ali's birth name doesn't matter. What does matter is he forsook it for a muslim name, and joined the cancerous community of black muslims.

Shows just how much he valued America(not much at all).

Sure, he lined in with that fuck Farrakhan and did the usual totally not-racist-but-actually-is-racist black nationalism. He calmed down latter in life, though. Islam to him just meant peace. That's all he wished it meant for everyone.

this, but there was also a meme amongst the African American population in the mid-20th century to give their children 'respectable' names. That's why there are a lot of blacks called things like Winston, Reginald and variations of French names.

I'm willing to bet you were born after 1998

respectability politics is one hell of a drug lol.

>race relations have always been as good as it is today
>there wasn't real racism back in the day

>Are good today.

Nah.

I'm willing to bet one or more of your girlfriends cheated on you

I'm willing to bet you've never had one.

Here you go OP

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassius_Marcellus_Clay_(politician)

>Frederick
>Abraham
>Benjamin
>Caesar
>Theodore