How to dress as a professor

Tomorrow is my first day teaching college as a professor and I'm sorta nervous. I'm not sure of the level of formality I should dress at. I have similar clothes to this pic set out for tomorrow but I'm worried that it may be too formal.

In grad school I didn't care how I looked because I was just another student, but I actually want to be respected here at my new job. On the other hand I dont want to be this stuffy guy that dresses too nicely.

Any suggestions on what to wear?

Wear the exact outfit without the jacket

I was thinking of that but the jacket was mainly for wamrth.

What can I wear for warmth?

A sweater

I don't own any dress sweaters or vests atm unfortunately (gunna get some next time I'm in town). All my sweaters are hoodies.

Stop worrying about it so much. Focus on your presentation and body language instead.

Will Graham-core

A cardigan.

This.
Wear an undershirt. In your place, I wouldn't wear a full suit, it might come off as too formal and prudish for some people.

what are you teaching?

go with a good sport coat/slacks combination. cap toe shoes, with a white dress shirt. french cuff is optional but adds a lot of personality and class. go for an educational tie, like something made by museum artifacts

ignore this guy. dont wear a tie or vest without any coat over it. cardigans count and so do baracutas.

wear a v neck pair of long johns underneath any attire like this you wear during colder months if you don't wear thick wool coats. i say v neck because sometimes you don't want to wear a tie with dress shirts, so you would need to leave the top unbuttoned meaning you do not want a crew neck visible underneath

i was in math/physics so my profs were obviously all nerds, but most dressed in slacks or jeans and a shirt or shirt with a sweater over, but fuck a bunch of them just wore t-shirts and jeans. now that i think of it, a lot of the t-shirt wearers were a little older, so i'd dress more formally so others don't see you as a slacker.

Either get an idea what other male faculty members are dressed like, or just do business casual. Also it depends how serious your place of work or the department is. At my old CC the head of one of the department heads would dress like he was going to the beach after class(sometimes he would and would tell this to us) and would wear shorts, a t-shirt, and some ratty old sneakers.

If you are an adjunct and are teaching a GE and/or Freshman in a small class size, I wouldnt sweat it.

do NOT be the jackass that wears 'ironic' clothing.

no Hawaiian shirts, no fucking paisley.

>paisley
I wear paisley unironically, faggot.

F U L L R I C K

Wear a sports jacket with a button down shirt. Don't wear jeans, go with chinos or slacks. Brown dress shoes or dress boots, don't wear sneakers.

Pack a tie, put it on in the bathroom if you see everyone else walking around dressed more formally than you. If everyone is more casual take off the jacket and make sure the top button of your shirt is undone. This should probably cover all eventualities, and you can dress up or dress down from that for your second lecture

Norse Projects

yeah paisley ties work real good sometimes, timeless

But paisley is one of the best looking pattern ever, you fucking philistine

I feel like as a professor you have a free ticket to dress "goofy" and get away with it. As long as its within the bounds of formality. Wear patterned sweaters, ties.

Also get a cashmere topcoat they look GOAT.

buy a brown woolen tweed jacket/blazer

Go Peterson-core

How will you rescue your dead father from the belly of the whale if your pants are falling down?

Sort yourself out and buy some suspenders bucko

This show sucks so much and becomes a parody of itself only after a few episodes.

Ruins Hannibal franchise.

Business casual should be fine

Canada really needs to fight on a war, these kids are all riled up over which bathrooms crazy fags in dresses can use like it matters.

Force some few hundred thousand Canadian college kids to die in a desert shitland to protect some big business interests and they'll remember what fucking matters and what doesn't.

Playing along with the delusions of fags in dresses so fucked in the head that they think they're women isn't going to matter

Pretty much this, anyone who has a vested interest in anything around bathroom politics is a fuckwit

Better idea. Be the cool prof.

Graphic tee, sandals and shorts.

Math and programming

This is why I came here, becsuse the other department members dress from jeans and a polo to dress shirt, tie and slacks.

Well thanks for the respinse everyone. I think I'm going to stick with the starting choice, but leave the jacket in my office.

Asking a bunch of students how to dress like a professor. Wewwwwww

Definitely not for math/programming, only if you teach philosophy

It depends entirely on the subject. I had a geology professor last year that usually dressed in earthy tones and looked effay as fuck. For math and programming you have an advantage: most of the other faculty in your department will dress like shit. Honestly anything that fits well and isn't cringe will work for you.

So I went without the blazer completely (felt like overkill) and I got complements from all the faculty. Probably partially due to the fact that I wore hawaiian shirts and jeans to our faculty meetings before classes. So thanks for the advice!

Now follow up question, how can I mix it up? Are dress sweaters and vests alright? I dont have a bunch of dress shirts and I dont want to wear the same shirt,tie,slacks combo every day.

Also yes, a couple mentioned how I'm probably the best dressed in the department now.

This

Tweed patches on a leather jacket.

If i was a professor i would definitely go with full professor-core with tweed, erath tones, corduroy etc. We have an emeritus professor who had like smoking jackets and wore full tweed suits when surveying field work

Vests might be weird, but a v neck sweater will work in so many contexts over your dress shirts

sweaters are good. you can wear a shirt underneath or not.

depending on where you live, go to a thrift store in a rich neighbourhood and look for more dress shirts. i visit the one nearish me and have found numerous brooks brothers, and other high-quality shirts for $6-7.

Wool trousers, suede or leather shoes (brogue or chelsea boots are best), slim oxford shirt, knitted tie and either a merino jumper or a wool blazer.

You don't want to look like you're at an office or a wedding, so go for rougher, more casual fabrics like tweed, suede, wool, flannel and oxford cloth. As for colours, have fun with it but stick primarily to neutrals, jewel tones and deeper versions of primary colours. So basically go for burgundy or olive over scarlet or lime.

*Sneed patches

You could get some turtleneck sweaters in black or navy as well as cardigans and crew neck sweaters to wear with just an undershirt underneath as well.

Dress sweaters and vests will work fine, although keep in mind that vests will be harder to pull off than just a regular sports jacket. If you buy dress sweaters, make sure they fit you snugly (without being overly tight of course), baggy sweaters will make you look like a dork.

FULL

RICK

>Math and programming

Then just wear some meme anime shirt or something. If you are going to teach nolife virgins then you might as well ironically look like one.

>like, whatever man...

Grow up. Your lack of values doesn't make you mature or "enlightened" but immature as fuck.

Rick Owens, usually what I teach in.

this is the pinnacle of fashion, roughly speaking.

something like this op

>full beard
>Hawaiian shirts
>long hair
>granded new balances or flip flops
>cane
>tie dye shirt
>shitty 90s course website
>handmade leather items

but not of you're an analytic anglo nerd

Ok