Am I naive for trying to work my way through college or is it much more reasonable to just take out a loan?

Am I naive for trying to work my way through college or is it much more reasonable to just take out a loan?

Pic related

What kind of things do you need money for? Rent? Food? Everything? or just like books and school related things?

Just curious because I'm currently working part time but living with parents. Will eventually transfer off to a state college that might be too far to drive from parents to class everyday. I don't know if I will have to work to pay rent over there.

Been working full time the past 2 years to cover entire tuition+related expenses
I'll be living with my parents the whole ride. Just trying to minimize every expense where I can.

That's the best way to do it. Wish I would have worked more. College kids who take loans and don't work are fisting themselves.

Work...

Your increase in workload capacity will be immense compared to those who dont

i tried it. it didn't work for me.

I feel like that can either make or break your work ethic

been an assembly worker in an automotive plant for 4 years now been taking classes part time on and off for my engineering degree

ill be 28 by the time i finish if im lucky enough to finish

depends on how much you're paying and what you're studying probably

Just turned 24, so I can finally get grants to cover 90% of my tuition. I still gotta work full time just to cover my living expenses; I work 3 12 hour shifts on the weekends. I'll see how it goes.

>I feel like that can either make or break your work ethic

You think growing a capacity to be able to focus on many things and hustle hard while idiots are sitting in class learning feminism and smoking weed will HURT your work ethic?

Not if you kill yourself from the pressure. Then there is no work ethic. There's just an empty dorm and an open shift.

I don't think you need to be worrying about that...

Same as how beginners worry about "overtraining". Bro you're weak and fat, there's no fucking "overtraining" for you for a loooooong time.

I think it's an accurate metaphor. I dont think you need to worry about that until you're working 12hrs a day on top of college and are incapable of staying awake to review notes. Until then, work away!

Your way is the honorable way. Don't let anyone talk you out of it unless it fucks with your grades.

Burnout is definitely a thing. When burnout becomes an issue depends on a couple factors (person's grit/endurance, time management skills, intelligence, intensity of work and the difficulty of the studies) but it's no myth. It's just something each person has to gauge.

Hard to say.

I worked fast food throughout college, manager my last two years.

My grades tanked because I was working nearly 60 hours a week.

That being said, I'm from a poor family and I didn't come out with much debt because of that.

It really makes you appreciate sleep.

Well yes but I'm saying outside of dire situations you really should not be worrying about anything like that.

You're a young man with full cognitive and physical capabilities

I worked all through college. What else are you going to be doing if you're not at work? Partying and getting drunk? You can still do that. I worked every single weekend and for my Junior/Senior years was working full time along with school. Still got good grades and had a fun time. I did have to sacrifice a lot of sleep though. Would do it the same way if I had to do it again.

If you live at home, go to a state school and get a scholarship you'll be good.

Otherwise you will need a loan.

No. Wasting your time working a shitty minimum wage mcjob when your earning potential would be much higher post graduation is not a good idea.

At anything other than a state school, you arent going to work your way through anything. I went to a big name private school and 15 years ago my tuition was 41,000 a year

yes, because it builds your resume.

But do not spend way too much time on menial minimum wage cuck jobs. It suppose to pay off your rent,food and misc expenses. Your priority is finishing your studies and move into career jobs.

focus on getting internships along the way, because that will pave your path into your professional career.

It takes like 5 years to complete a 4yr degree now and that is full-time with summer classes. It would take at least 7yrs if you are working.

No it doesn't. Those for whom it takes 5 years dont schedule their classes properly, look at requirements, and are drunk and fail early on

>It takes like 5 years to complete a 4yr degree now and that is full-time with summer classes. It would take at least 7yrs if you are working.
Lel I graduated in 3 years taking no summer classes and only one class my final semester.

There's a balance between the bad and the good effects of your job.

I've been working besides uni to pay tuition, room and general expenses. Most of the time I work a couple of days a week. Up until this year, it was fine: the work was shit but at least I did not have to worry about expenses and future troubles. Was I envious of the people partying all the time and having the time of their life? Sure, sometimes. But in the end I was happy earning money.

However, this year I've started to feel bad about work. The work is shit (factory tier) but it used to perfect for me because it was flexible, the pay was decent and it prevented me from getting fat. But now I feel I've been missing out on a lot of social interaction with my peers. The student group I interact with a lot has this very specific type of talk that is very difficult to emulate. I've been working so much that I've missed out on much that makes the student period worthwhile; discovering new things, meeting new people, generally developing yourself. I wish I had worked a bit less and spend the time worthwhile. However, I probably would have spent the time shitposting here so I guess its all just regrets.

So OP; to conclude my rambling post:

Find out what you would like to spend your time on instead of working. If you'd spent it doing absolute shit, then continue working. If you'd spend it developing yourself in any way: work less and do that.

So basically its: instant money v. personal development requiring time/effort.

This all does not apply if you already are 100% with the way your are and/or already are very busy making the most of college

Don't take out loans that you don't need. Taking out loans is a good way to end up forever in debt. You should be working and paying down existing debts and saving 10 percent of what you earn, even if that 10 percent amounts to jackshit.