Why is it a taboo to long for another era but one's own?

Why is it a taboo to long for another era but one's own?
As soon as anything in the past is seen as more ideal, the "enjoy the black plague/squalor" or "le wrong generation" crowd emerges, urging you to love the time you live in as much as now.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Byzantine_revolts_and_civil_wars
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome
twitter.com/AnonBabble

as much as they*

This is literally the best age to be alive.

t. Quantum Computing.
t. The Start of the Space age Exploration
t. The beginning of the New World

Fuck off

Only somewhat well educated people think so

Most people are all "HURR HURR I'D LOVE TO LIVE IN MEDIEVAL TIMES"

And none of us are experiencing any of that. Most of us need to stay frugal to survive, while Silicon Valley STEMfags dream of super-abundance, automation and transhuman godhood... SOMEWHERE in the future. It's gonna happen. Singularity soon brah.

But sure, when I die, I'll be glad to have been there when the babysteps REALLY began to be taken...

On Veeky Forums it seems almost taboo to actually enjoy this time in history. Whenever I say this is the greatest moment in mankind all I get met with is "muh degeneracy" "muh musssslims!" "muh tradition!"

Your problem is Golden Age thinking. I reckon if you ever went back to the time you longed for you'd feel so out of place that you'd long to come back to a time that's familiar.

1945-2008 America was objectively the best time to be alive for the average middle to lower class person

Like there's aspects of certain cultures which are objectively better and other aspects that aren't, there's aspects of time periods which are objectively better and other aspects that aren't.

Why is Veeky Forums such a bunch of intolerable either/or fucks.

>And none of us are experiencing any of that.
What???? Are you trying to tell me the general populace did not benefit from the onset of 'classical' computing?

Are you trying to tell me when the New World was discovered, the general populace in some way or another didn't benefit from it?

Because humans love the familiar.
Some among us love the unfamiliar, but only to a degree.

I'm pretty sure sending people to the future would make them long for the past.

>And none of us are experiencing any of that. Most of us need to stay frugal to survive,

Are you retarded?
You need to step back and just think of the thousands of unimaginable luxuries you take for granted. We can start with the Shitpost Machine you can apparently afford to use daily.

Even a frugal life at minimum wage in the west is leagues better than the average human being any time in history.

There were both pro's and con's with it, as it is with all technological progress.

I'm sure your sperg ass is gonna rage now in total incomprehension that technology also creates (new) problems as much as it resolves them.

>TFW I'll never be a union work in 1953 America
>fresh out if high school
>high school sweet heart
>guaranteed good paying job
>house
>get to fish on Sundays after church
>bowling on Wednesdays nights
>fuck man now my entire generation is on their phones with 17 different social media apps

>consumer goods make you happy

500k a year engineer voting Trump.

Because that's destructive thinking, life has never been better than it is now. We can cure most things we encounter, the quality of life and life expectancy is going up at a crazy rate while infant mortality has dropped to almost negligible levels. Overall we're more educated, healthier, richer and have access to more resources to improve our lives. We can communicate with people on the other side of the world instantly

Because most of fan boys of other times know shit about common life back then and went into full denial if you try to explain it from historical position.

So you have down syndrome? What you are implying is that we should stop progressing and just deal with the problems at the time?

>lower infant mortality
>bad
>higher general length of life
>bad
>general level of current technology
>bad
>medicinal advances
>bad

Kill yourself, my man.

All of these was possible in the past with believe in Jesus and God's miracles.

No we should totally invent everything possible and not let ourselves get stuck in silly moral quandaries, because technology made it possible to overpopulate.
Onwards to the stars.

>taboo
please dont use words you dont understand

As opposed to what?
What about the past will make you happy compared to having your needs fulfilled and an unprecedented ability to pursue the things that interest you, including having a majority of human knowledge at your fingertips at all times?

Yet loads of people are on this wonderful piece of technology being miserable as fuck. Not to mention rising levels of depression, burn outs and what not.
And if they're not that, they're a bunch of dark triad psycho's who love the fact the world is a huge status dick measuring contest.

I seriously wonder what you guys say to a dude who lives on a farm and wouldn't trade his life for any of that.

>inb4 well go live on a farm u fuck!!! kill urself kill urself kill urself kill urself kill urself kill urself kill urself kill urself

Religion, tradition and wise rule of the monarch.

Seriously, what's stopping you from living this simple content life you crave?
Do you think farmers didn't have anything to worry about? I don't think you've got a very good grasp of how devastating to your way of life a year or two of bad crops can be.

Not to mention the countless other things a peasant in any particular point in history would have to put up with.

ITT: people weren't happy in the past

wew

Just move to Saudi Arabia if that's what you're into fampai.

I just think anybody who's had a taste of modern luxuries would regret giving it up after about 5 hours, when it finally catches up to them all the shit they just gave up because they felt a little bored.

He said wise rule, not spamming money into terrorist's hands ad infinitum and being surprised when it spills over into your own country.

> rising levels of depression, burn outs
You wouldn't suffer from that if you smart enough to not worry about smallest problems. Attitude is what matters here not working of farm instead of what are you doing in modern world.

Someone on a farm benefits as well you retard.

Do you think farming hasn't modernized massively? They don't have to break their backs working in the sun and manually milking all the cows, farming is a LOT easier and healthier nowadays.

And the things you described? Those are cultural, those aren't technological. Depression is, for the most part, related to the increasing stress of the Western lifestyle. Everyone expects something of you and that takes its toll.

That doesn't take away the fact that healthcare is better than ever, science is much MUCH more advanced in every single field and the quality of life, regardless of where you live, is better.

The past wasn't this magical wonderland where everything was simple and nice for everyone. The middle class struggled a lot more, jobs generally took a massive toll on your body (and by extension your life).

1950's America suffered from massive unemployment and poverty issues, especially in rural areas and amongst minorities, not to mention the entire red scare and the Jim Crow laws.

Don't get me wrong, the middle and upper classes flourished during the 50's and contributed massively to America being as relevant as it is nowadays, but it wasn't some utopia where everything was fine.

Sometimes it's worth considering if the rising levels of depression and burn outs might have something to do with people starting to give a shit about depression and burn outs, because I don't think medieval farmers had many psychiatrists to visit and diagnose them. If they were feeling like shit that was their problem, at best they had religion to turn to.

> If they was so happy why do they rebel so much?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Byzantine_revolts_and_civil_wars

Attitude is a euphemism for psychopathy with you people.
Which just so happens to be not so rare and have a very prominent presence on these boards.

You have to understand at the time depression probably didn't exist. I mean why would it? If your crops don't grow you can blame the gods. If something doesn't go your way , you can blame the gods.

A world without mysticism is what causes depression.

What are so psychopathic for not being depressed? Most people with so called depression couldn't even properly formulate what their problem is. They are just seemingly depressed without any real reason.

So the cure for depression is just to blame someone? I suppose there's not a single depressed religious person in existence?
wew lad, you should tell them.

> Those are cultural, those aren't technological. Depression is, for the most part, related to the increasing stress of the Western lifestyle. Everyone expects something of you and that takes its toll.

I wasn't the one equating "today's world" with technology. That's always the first thing you hear in these discussions as the main argument against people who are nostalgic about pas times.

Which is indeed what you're saying here too. When people act nostalgic about past times, they don't dream of carriages, but of certain values and styles. About cultural things.

But suggesting there was anything good about one era compared to ours immediately makes you a Luddite on here.

I see you're talking out of your ass.
Depression is overused and everyone with a slight dip thinks he has it, but it's a serious problem and not a matter of "getting ur shit together", kid.

That's the point. Clinical depression isn't always an attitude problem, and sometimes the attitude problem springs from the depression rather than vice-versa.
Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of whiny cunts who just need a stiff upper lip, but there are some people who seriously just feel like shit for no reason, and negativity impacts them more than positivity. I'm almost certain you've had off days (perhaps you were hungry or tired) where you were pissed at the world and every little thing bothered you.

You're talking about living in a past, i'm going to assume you mean every aspect of the past and not just one particular bit. And personally, i think we're far better off culturally as well. Unless you were white, male and striaght the 50's were pretty fucking shit for you, civil liberties wise.

>So the cure for depression is just to blame someone?
You misunderstand my point.

> you were pissed at the world and every little thing bothered you
That isn't depression, just frustration. Depression tends to lean upon more apathetic side of things. It isn't like you were pissed at the world. It's more like you don't even care anymore.

Your point was people weren't depressed because you can blame the gods, which is patently fucking stupid. Blaming the gods doesn't suddenly make your life better.

I'm just trying to get the idea across that it isn't always as simple as "lol just chill and be happy senpai"

Yes, you misunderstand. Blaming the gods was a simple example which for some reason you got stuck on.

The point is, when the mysticism is gone, depression appears.

But of course, I will wait for you to misunderstand that point also.

Trying to blame western lifestyle on depression is kind of strange. Check Japan for example. That is even worse while being an eastern society. South Korea is also high here.

Grass-is-probably-greener-on-the-other-side fallacy and escapism.

I once thought life would be great during Victorian-Era Britain, but I realized that I would probably living in the slums or working in piss-poor coal mines or factories; I was just thinking about the high life and aristocracy and ignoring reality.

It actually kind of does.
If you truly believe ( which you can't, because doubt will always haunt you as a westerner, even if you convert ), then all of that melts like snow.

Have you ever been to India? People there take complete solace in their abject situation of total poverty because of their religion.

>The point is, when the mysticism is gone, depression appears.

Yes, and your single only explanation for that was that depressed people could blame the gods. How else do you validate your statement that when mysticism disappears depression appears?

Your point is pretty fucking poorly explained, you're just throwing out a theory with zero actual explanation except your one obviously false example.

Japan is a post-industrialized society as much as the West.
It isn't really that different from ours anymore in terms of lifestyle.

> At the time depression probably didn't exist.
Depression was known to Ancient Greeks as a melancholia, so you can be sure it existed even back then.

What's the difference for a miserable person between genuinely believing your fate is because of some shitty fickle god and your fate is because of shitty fickle random chance?

"Oh, well I'm glad Zeus has it out for me personally, I feel a lot better now."

Don't forget that today you can blame everything on the determinismâ„¢ of physical laws.

>because of some shitty fickle god and your fate is because of shitty fickle random chance

Because of the afterlife that 'shitty fickle god' offers you, you dense fedora tipping fuck.

You seem awfully fucking convinced that everyone just assumes they're going to some paradise heaven and not the myriad punishing afterlifes offered by a myriad of religions you fucking idiot. Do you not think that maybe "Oh, looks like God is punishing me for my sins AND I'm going to burn in the fires of eternal perdition when this earthly misery is over" might make someone feel a little down?

Your theory's shit, you're a retard, get over it.

>How else do you validate your statement that when mysticism disappears depression appears?
Have you suffered from a form of chronic depression? Have you seen psychiatrists and what they believe to be the onset of depression? Are you even using your cognitive abilities to think about what is being said? How can you be going through an existential crisis before what the definition of existential? How can you be depressed about your existence when the common thought is you were created in gods vision?

Ancient depression is termed as "fears and despondencies, if they last a long time".

I mean do some research into your history and depression as a hole, depression in ancient times as written by Aristotle, depression only effected those who were 'brilliant' and intellectual i.e. the people destroying the mysticism of their every day life.

What I am saying is not some opinion, it's backed up with historical facts.

Only protestants fear that.

Because More likely then not you would be living a much, much more terrible life then you are now

> depression only effected those who were 'brilliant' and intellectual
How do we know that? It isn't like brilliant intellectual would really care about what kind of depression affected common men or a common
have a time to tell everyone how depressed he is. Seems more like case of shitty diagnosis instead of much less cases of mental illness to me.

So are we limiting depression to "existential dread" so that your theory that depression didn't exist works?

Eastern religions tend to believe in reincarnation. Be good in this life = better life awaits.
Catholicism claims good works = possible entry into heaven.

Retard anglo's: "LEL DEPENDS EVEN IF U DO GOOD NO CHANCE BECUZ GODS WILL IS INCOMPREHENSIBURR :^)"

> depression
> existential crisis
Not the same things, user.

Yes, and someone's who's clinically depressed is probably not very confident they're a good person who's in for a good afterlife.

>How do we know that?
Aristotle wrote about it.

>depression
>modern term
>existed in ancient times
>although diagnosed and defined differently
K.

I've been through this man, without being personal I've got a melancholia diagnosis, as opposed to a diagnosis of chronic depression. I have done my research, have you?

Wrong issue, it's in issue 10.

I can't see any correlation between western world and depression rates.

Wtf Holland?

And stoners told me weed will solve everything.

Well, how are you gonna defend yourself against "enjoy the black plague/squalor"? Not to mention that most people here would have died while being born, probably killing her mother. Or would have never been conceived, due to her mother dying giving birth to one of his brothers. Did you suffer from some harsh disease in your first days of life? You would've probably died back then. And that's not counting the rest of stuff that would not kill you but would be pretty inconvenient, I'm sure a lot of people here has vision problems or needed to go to the dentist.

So, how are you gonna defend yourself from that? Why do you complain about people bringing it if you can't defend your "ideal era"?.

Because "peepulz died then so everydng sux then" isn't a solid argument against certain ideas that were en vogue at the time.
It would be like saying the space program is evil because Von Braun was involved and he was part of the nazi empire that "killd deh peepulz".

Why would I die from all that shit? My ancestors survived and I got they genetic immunity. This is natural selection in action.

I love how Veeky Forums cares about the increasing number of human beings thanks to modernity, yet urges people to kill themselves if they do not fit in.

At least post the correct version.

Lel, you're a fucking idiot. Not even him, but dam.

Are those benefits worth it if you can't enjoy them? "Peepulz died" is the most important thing, you're peepulz and you can die, whatever you like about that era will not exist for you or you will not be able to enjoy it.

There's a very important difference from wanting to live in the past, which is plainly retarded, and wanting to recuperate certain benefical lost virtues, which is something respectable but completely unrelated.

So you were never in any situation where modern medicine saved your life or at least improved it? And the same can be said about the people you care about?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome

What makes you think the monarchs of the past were "wise" rulers?

And what? We've become a lazy, sterilized culture (I say that while posting on a Laotian lizard catching forum).

You have, maybe. You wallow in a shit-filled pool that is your life, just like so many billions of peasants before you. Actual life-affirmers, of which you are clearly not, are living actively and vigorously. You don't realize it because of your insular and smallminded approach to existence.

This website is full of people with internet addictions. Take a guess why they don't want to live in the past.

And almost none of that has any effect on the laymen. It's just numbers and words for pseudo on the internet to jerk off over.

pseudo-intellectuals*

A modern could easily live in Rome during its height.

Excepted the blacks.

If you're a straight, white and atleast average looking male, sure

even for blacks was better by far

Good.

hince "average"

>looming overpopulation
>total annihilation but a button press away
>climate change that's going to fuck our shit up
>humanity growing more and more dependent on technology
>superbacteria outbreak just waiting to happen

>the increasing number of human beings thanks to modernity

Population growth has never been lower.

>1945-2008

2016 is better than any of those years.

>I'm pretty sure sending people to the future would make them long for the past.
You don't have to speculate about it, that's literally what old people are.

Yeah, in civilized countries.

In third rate shitholes it's rising fast

In what way?

We've got rapefugees flooding Europe, racial tensions in America have never been higher, a reality star and an incompetent liar are your only choices for president

>In what way?

We are richer. The world is less violent. We know more about the world. We are healthier. Our technology is better. The environment is in better shape.

Don't be taken in by fear mongers. They've been saying the world is going to shit in every era.

>all the Whigism in this thread
wow, and I thought I was on the history board.

It's not taboo, it's just generally agreed that life is better now than it was before, so you would be in for a lot of suffering.

No, this is hell.

Maybe for you. Personally I would really like to live during the height of the age of European Imperialism

Can I ask why?