Is this coin authentic? My friend (who is African American) showed me this a while back...

Is this coin authentic? My friend (who is African American) showed me this a while back. I feel like something isn't right, considering it comes from a "real black history" type website.

Other urls found in this thread:

blackpast.org/perspectives/greece-and-egypt-how-single-coin-reflects-ancient-and-enduring-relationship
ptolemybronze.com/ptolemy_series.html
lovecraftianscience.wordpress.com/2015/11/15/scientific-origins-for-h-p-lovecrafts-racism-ernst-haeckel-and-the-concept-of-race/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

blackpast.org/perspectives/greece-and-egypt-how-single-coin-reflects-ancient-and-enduring-relationship

He doesn't understand his history and the Hellenistic age.

Coins are probably the most counterfeited items. I'm not saying this one is, but its worth mentioning.

Reverse image searching it turns up nothing but Black Nationalist websites

I have a feeling it's fake

Compare pic related, from Aksum, which was actually full of black people

Hey, what do you know, it doesn't look anything like that.

To be fair, OP's pic looks more like a Nubian than an Aksumite. There are plenty of depictions of Nubians from the ancient Near East/Mediterranean. Pic related is Ptolemaic.

I assume the coin is fake though, since reverse-search finds nothing reliable.

Thanks guys. I had a feeling there was something fishy about the coin. Now what about African civilization as a whole? Is it as big and extravagany as I've heard, or is it subpar by comparison to others?
Also, is there a bias in academia regarding African culture?

*extravagant

You are gonna get answers many of who will care more about your pic than your question.

I know. I'm up for anything at this point. Be glad I didn't post a hominid ancestor.

Literally what the fuck does it matter? You want to shut down your friend and his claims? That's a bit of a dick move, show some modesty.

That coin is most likely real, as he said. It's Ptolemaic - literal Greco-Egyptian, not so unbelievable that he would create a coin with a Nubian on it - or someone else during the 300 years of the Ptolemaic reign.

Multiculturalism was a staple in Hellenistic societies.

What led to their downfall?

Roman shits destroying anything remotely Greek.

Multicultural as in living together or just happening to live inside the same borders?

Getting gangbanged by several surrounding civilizations?

So multiculturalism was their downfall?

Alexander the Great was known to 'keep happy' all of his empires by taking on some of their customs. See his conquering of Persia and attempts to bring them into Greek society, against the wish's of the Greek population.

see Alexander the Great and his modelling of Egypt, Alexandria and his usage of Egyptian 'god kings'

He tried to make his entire empire accept all the conquered peoples as a way to keep them subservient, which worked against him as.

If you think being surrounded by several other rising civilizations as well as sufcering from regular conflicts with the other successor states, then yes.

And i am not well read on the subject.
Not even sure if the groups lived togethet or kept away from each other in the same cities.

>Now what about African civilization as a whole? Is it as big and extravagany as I've heard, or is it subpar by comparison to others?
That's a pretty big question that would take a lot more than can be fit into a Veeky Forums post to answer.

If you want to brush up on African history, some good books are:
Layers of Time: A History of Ethiopia by Paul B. Henze
The Kingdom of Kongo by Ann Hilton
anything by John K. Thornton
>Also, is there a bias in academia regarding African culture?
In academia proper I would say no. There are trends, and shifts in those trends, but right now I think the playing field is fairly equal. Laypeople tend to be variously too dismissive of or too fixated on African culture, to the point where they deny Africans had any sort of history at all, or claim that all history is African history. Any actual academic work that tries to advocate one of those positions will be torn to shreds by peers.

This is speaking as a historian, but I also have a degree in political science and I think there is some bias there, particularly among postcolonial authors. Some writers try to portray Robert Mugabe as a tragic hero betrayed by his own people instead of the freewheeling hothead he really was, or suggest that Idi Amin was some kind of Byzantine political operator instead of a literal retard who acted on childish whims, but that's veering more into modern history.

It doesn't look like any Ptolemaic coin I've ever seen. Also there is no way that coin is 2000 years old. Even if it might be a reproduction, the facial profile is all wrong.

ptolemybronze.com/ptolemy_series.html

Also, people tend to have a wrong idea of what Nubians look like. They look like this, they definitely don't have exaggerated West African features.

They were fine. Media tends to exaggerated them, /pol/ likes to downplay them. There's no point talking about them as a whole since most of them were completely unrelated. North/East Africa was closely connected with Eurasia and had civilizations related to the rest of the world, like Nubians, Aksumites, Swahilis. West African civilizations like Mali, Benin and Ife mostly grew after the 8th century when the trans-Saharan trade opened, and other than some Islamic influence in the Sahel they emerged in relative isolation. Considering that, they were pretty impressive. Most places went to shit between the 16th and 19th centuries.

I wasn't saying the coin was real. OP's filename says 450 BC anyway, so it's not Ptolemaic (assuming that can be trusted).

>It doesn't look like any Ptolemaic coin I've ever seen.
It looks like plenty of those coins. Particularly the hair.
>modern peoples look like Ancient ones
I will use actual antiquity as evidence, thanks.

>OP's filename says 450 BC anyway
it says Circa 450.

Got any mummies and remains and stuff or just drawings?

>ancient drawings, even though consistent, are inaccurate

t. Veeky Forums scholar.

Not him but come on, seriously? The hair in OP's image is completely disconnected from the facial profile. It looks like the curl pattern was hubbed into the cooling flan with some sort of tool (a modern tool, I have a feeling), whereas the Ptolemaic coins in that collection are obviously struck with images sunk into the die blank for uniformity. I've never heard of any ancient coins being made the former way. Definitely a (bad) reproduction if it's not outright fake.

>implying Veeky Forums schoolers won't focus on nothing else than the drawings

>They look like this, they definitely don't have exaggerated West African features.
West Africans aren't the only ones who look 'negro'. Ancient depictions of Nubians from Egypt and elsewhere depicted them with distinctive facial features. They weren't just dark-skinned Caucasians; I imagine they looked a lot like modern South Sudanese, especially considering their language was likely Nilo-Saharan.

Agree with everything else you said though.

That means within a few decades of 450 BC at most.

>That means within a few decades of 450 BC at most.
no, it means approximate.

Wew. The one who went to Arabia really got the short end of the stick

>approximate
>close to the actual, but not completely accurate or exact

450 BC is not close to an actual date post-305 BC. Nobody would ever date a Ptolemaic coin to 450 BC. I honestly think you're trolling at this point.

I mean, the most obvious issue is that we don't have any coins from Africa that far back

Yeah, I'm assuming the coin is fake. The only coinage I'm aware of from sub-Saharan Africa before the medieval period is Aksumite stuff, and if the coin was actually Greek I'm sure I'd be able to find some kind of information about it, but there doesn't seem to be any anywhere.

I believe the coin is indeed Greek from what I've read.

Definitely fake then. Looks nothing like verifiable Greek coinage from that period.

I've heard some argue that the theory of evolution and the discovery of hominid fossils in Africa dehumanizes Africans. Could some interpretations lead to this?

If It dehumanizes Africans it also applies to everyone else.

Who have you heard that from?

Various sources, including this guy and several creationists.

This is false, Nubian's depicted themselves like Egyptians. Egyptians depicted Nubian's like Nilotics.

Feel free to discount every single one.

>Egyptians depicted Nubian's like Nilotics
Yeah, that's what I said.

>Nubian's depicted themselves like Egyptians
Nubians used Egyptian imagery all the time in their art, but they depicted themselves as Nubians.

What about genocide, like the Holocaust?

>I've heard some argue that the theory of evolution and the discovery of hominid fossils in Africa dehumanizes Africans. Could some interpretations lead to this?

I don't know where you're getting this from. All the poltards here shill for the multiregional origin of modern humans.

WE WUZ KOINZ N SHIT

their own depictions by and large are extremely inconsistent with Egyptian portrayals of them.

Nubians and Egyptians by and large align in phenotype which breaksdown the racialized differences so many on Veeky Forums like to purport

>african
>civilisation

pick one

>So multiculturalism was their downfall?
*Ideology intensifies*

No not multiculturalism, centuries of conflict with the selucids and then suddenly: romans

I don't think you understand either, considering you just confused the Hellenic age with the Hellenistic age.

How the fuck did the Ptolemies have any chance of not being multicultural? They were a literal minority of greeks/macedonians living in Egypt.

In fact, in order to help controll the population, they had to import huge numbers of Celts, Syrians, and Thracians, and thus making Egypt even more culturally diverse.

There are Egyptians still to this day who have blonde hair and blue eyes because off all the Celts that moved in.

>listening to creationists
that's your first mistake senpai

They are aware we used to dehumanize Africans even before Darwin?

Fake. Didn't really have to look.

well they definitely knew what black people looked like and depicted them in their art occasionally, but i don't know about putting them on coins.

I remember that one.

The Somalis had big ancient/medieval kingdoms so maybe there? Could even be Malian? they had a huge amount of Gold

Actually there's no way it could be ancient, damn i wish i could edit my posts...

Here's Lovecraft's contribution to the whole debate.

Pretty terrible desu senpai.

what do you mean?

Just that I remember seeing that statue before on that infoboard I uploaded.

Heard Lovecraft were pissed for a whole week when he saw a black man in his town once.

Thank goodness an actual intelligent, educated person posted in this thread.

Please stick around.

that's clearly not the same vase.

African culture doesn't exist. Its a fucking continent you retarded Americunt. It was filled with many different cultures.

And then he married a jewish woman. Tadumtish.

It is actually an aureus issued under augustus and its a portrait of julius caesar part of the divus julius series. You see the first romans was ruled by kings who was black. Tarquinius superbus the last black king of rome was overthrown by the whiteys who ruled rome for a couple of centuries. Until sulla the great black general overthrew the whiteys and exterminated them in the social war. Now blacks was running rome again and a whitey wasnt seen in the region again until it was sacked by alaric and the whiteys eventually killed or sent the black romans to africa. Julius caesar was black

Do you really think they put nigglets on coins back then? Let alone golden ones? And do you really think the anchient nigg nogs were able to make coins?

lovecraftianscience.wordpress.com/2015/11/15/scientific-origins-for-h-p-lovecrafts-racism-ernst-haeckel-and-the-concept-of-race/
I think this gives a good rundown of his thoughts on race.

Then you read a load of horseshit, you learn this in college history semester one.

That's what they put on the website. Of course it was a "we wuz averywer" website.

Probably, most ancient coins are sort of wonky like that, and only one coin collector has to own one and have taken a pic of it even if it's worth 10000 dollars pics are free

Bump

we wuz coins n shiet

Based Yakub made the white man superior to all others.

what happened mammy? why we not be havin' any coinz now?

>Was it as big and extravagant
no, they were neither big, extravant, or relevant, nothing important came out of the ss-a """civilizations"""

multiethnic society =/= multicultural society