Why won't fashion houses re-release certain popular pieces from past collections...

Why won't fashion houses re-release certain popular pieces from past collections? There are some timeless clothes that are impossible to find used anymore and since clothes wear down it will only get harder with time.

>Margiela decide to re-release a lot of classic pieces
>they do it in collab with H&M, meaning the quality is garbage

Is this a monkey paw thread?
>rick owens is now affordable
>very popular among elderly people

no that's literally what happened with margiela
and rick is already popular among elderly people

MMM actually did do an H&M collab though
I'm still baffled by this decision

Helmut lang has started doing this.

it's an ugly money grab and an admission of defeat for the head of creative
you don't look back in fashion
sometimes in looking forward you catch glimpses of the past and you work those elements in, but you don't look straight back

You release a piece that gets super popular and then can't be found anymore. People like you want it and know you can't get it, this keeps the brand relevant in your mind, adding to their relevance and popularity. They can now justify charging more for future pieces with low production numbers, because the people who feel this way wont want to miss out again.

This is how a smart fashion brand owner thinks. That's why they do limited releases. Control supply and let demand skyrocket, then charge more and ensure you sell out limited numbers of pieces for maximum profit.

> They can now justify charging more for future pieces with low production numbers, because the people who feel this way wont want to miss out again.
this
just look at the cavempt icon pullover, or the visvim military noragi

see
Then buy a sewing machine and just replicate the piece that you want. Make those pics you saved useful.

how come? why do you think fashion houses do these collabs? they make a shitload of money like this. why do you think rick, yohji etc. collab with adidas? mainline stuff is expensive to produce; by doing cheap collabs, you get a greater return on investment plus a much greater number of sold pieces. often designers have to do these sort of collabs to keep their business afloat. high fashion isn't exactly the most profitable industry.

>this keeps the brand relevant in your mind, adding to their relevance and popularity

I don't know about this. If I don't like any of the new collections I don't like them. Wouldn't it be better to make some money off people nostalgic for the old collections? I don't see how a limited re-release would hurt a brand.

I heard this shit didn't sell well at all, since it alienated both H&M's and Margiela's audience
this isn't anything like Yohji x Adidas

/thread

>I'm still baffled by this decision
Why does Lemair collaborate with Uniqlo? Why did Jun Takahashi collaborate with Uniqlo? Why do Rick and Raf collaborate with Adidas?
Diffusion lines and collabs, along with perfumes, are things, that actually bring most profit to high fashion houses and support their mainline which for at least 70% (50% in best case) stays unsold until sales.

this

still pisses me off that nu-SLP re-used the blood luster design from SS14

I'd assume it would devalue the original piece

Adidas is an established and respected sneaker manufacturer, and Uniqlo at least has some kind of design philosophy behind it
H&M is literally just cheap clothes, there is nothing more you can say about it

it didn't sell mainly cause the prices were pretty steep (for h&m standards). usually h&m designer collabs do extremely well.

>H&M is literally just cheap clothes
H&M is a biggest clothing chain store after Zara. Alexander Wang did collab with them too, as many other designers. And no designer wants to do collab with Zara due to their long history of design piracy.

this

Honestly Helmut Lang really disappeared from the screen once Helmut left and they put some Greek hacks in charge. Margiela still stands thanks to Guillano, Helmut retired to doing some streetwear shit.

lemaire also collabed with h&m come to think of it