Paris Fashion Week '18

Questions, Thoughts, and Concerns on Haute couture and ready-to-wear this spring/summer season.

Yohji Yamamoto
youtube.com/watch?v=y2HNKWobe38

Rick Owens
youtube.com/watch?v=s0ZU9uLw6jI
youtube.com/watch?v=t2zLN6ecNp8

Balenciaga
youtube.com/watch?v=eg8-SJy9Sms

Issey Miyake
youtube.com/watch?v=Iku_7OAGwZg

Lemaire
youtube.com/watch?v=G4zt203IUfQ

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S1obCxuOMbs
youtu.be/cQC8Cyu3lqc
youtube.com/watch?v=cQC8Cyu3lqc
youtube.com/watch?v=S-Vz3glBa0M
youtube.com/watch?v=Ef5NLI8q_kY
youtube.com/watch?v=9wIn5vVwLeU
youtube.com/watch?v=3od_HBtqG_A
youtube.com/watch?v=ssdkv0UC7ek
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Balenciaga was awful

Gucci

youtube.com/watch?v=S1obCxuOMbs

Agreed, wasn't a fan of what they had to show and the models weren't too great either. Very underwhelming. What were they thinking?

Guess Veeky Forums doesn't want to talk about fashion

Amazing. Excited for the Lemarie on too.

am I the only one who thought 95% of those outfits just look boring?

Balenciaga has been dead for quite some time now. The only thing they seem to still be able to do is to milk clueless hypebeasts.

No I feel it too.

Yohji looking great as always

Yohji was never good
Creative, always. Inspired, yeah.
Never good.

>Never good
I'm interested what don't you like about Yohji. I hear this a lot on Veeky Forums

Yohji runway stuff is always an attempt to take a set of intrinsically ugly fits and bring them into a state of artistic balance. The balancing succeeds masterfully, but the result is still ugly.

I respect the artfulness without admiring the aesthetic.

>talking about something that you don't understand
yep definitely on Veeky Forums

Ok SENSAY
Instruct me

>Ask for feedback
>Get it
>"Oh, no, you just don't understand"
"But I can't express anything about what it is you don't understand"

It's simple.
While artistically important, Yohji's runway work is incredibly fucking ugly. Which is why nobody wears it off the runway. NOBODY.

Whatever you might feel about it has absolutely no relevance.

Not a huge fan of Lemaire this season. The cuts weren't as appealing as other seasons and not a huge fan of the reflective material.

look at wayt threads and tell me you expect that most of them pay attetion to fashion outside of streetwear instagrams

This

SS 2018 highlights for me were Fendi and Balmain.

I think the issue for Veeky Forums is that most of the posters here are young, and even if they aren't young most people are never going to even see high fashion pieces with their own eyes let alone own or touch or try the clothes on.

So people go with more practical and available or obtainable fashion.

I think DIRT was a fairly good season. As always his women's runway is better than men's. Not 100% ready to wear or wearable at all, but I'm waiting for the actual product shots. Like GLITTER, it might change my opinion.

Kek

Hey

This looks mesmerizing

This board is fucking dead

I guess so.

just watched Rick Owens men's, I liked how they set up the runway with the green water, wasn't feeling those backpacks around the crotch and they used them a lot, loved the suits though.

Watching Gucci now.

I thought the whole collection was a blast. Everything looked so fun. Unfortunately their men's 2018 SS was no where near as gripping as their women's.

Jesus Chanel was so bad. Karl needs to btfo before he goes senile.

lemaire was good

Gucci has become incredibly boring over the past couple of seasons. They've gone in way too much on the whole prints and designs that it all feels overloaded and dull. That and the fucking hypbeast status that they're desperately trying to maintain isn't helping.

>Questions, Thoughts, and Concerns on Haute couture

>Chanel
youtu.be/cQC8Cyu3lqc

This fw was shit because I didn't do any show

yer this board is full of hype beast kids

l 0 l

more chanel

youtube.com/watch?v=cQC8Cyu3lqc

youtube.com/watch?v=S-Vz3glBa0M

louis vuitton

fabrics??? what are they even they look so gud

balmain

youtube.com/watch?v=Ef5NLI8q_kY

chanel is worn by ugly 50 year old women with bogdanoff tier work

versace

youtube.com/watch?v=9wIn5vVwLeU

if you haven't seen this show....

Can you people explain why you like or dislike certain things, please? Just saying 'amazing', 'mesmerizing' or 'shit' isn't discussion. Don't you know that?

All the shapes, patterns and textiles used in the Versace collection.

>Talking points:

>Expensive design in symmetry
>embellishments are clean af
>how the patterning flatters the form
>patterning in general
>strong but feminine shapes
>fabrication
>models
>soundtrack lol

>patterning in general
pls
like you can actually tell anything about the patterns from watching a youtube video of the show

yohji's last few collections have been trash
this one is no different
very wrong
>nobody wears it
good troll

no one here can actually deconstruct fashion because they're internet "fashion" people they don't really get it you know? semiotics are kind of a tough subject for 17 year olds to grasp

i was reading an article on BoF how gucci has released over 1000 looks since Michele took over the brand, basically saying that many editors and people paying attention to fashion were getting overwhelmed buy how much he was producing and how prolific Michele was, a lot were experiencing fatigue from it

however, the average fashion consumer, the person going in stores buying this stuff isn't necessarily paying attention to fashion like an editor is or someone who looks at runways

so you definitely have some validity there but, i don't think it's really going to affect gucci's bottom line for at least a couple of years

also hypbeasts are buying the brand like they always have and while gucci is marketing to a younger audience(than frida was) Michele hasn;t changed the way he designs clothes(at least from what i can tell from watching the runway presentations and ad campaigns) for the people buying them he's still doing very much his vision.
unlike say brands like supreme and acronym who are doing tired designs (somewhat like how gucci is) but, because they know their main customer base is still going to gobble it up and have very little reason to continue pushing the envelope in a lot of ways

in this collection patterning is a focal point

the prints being used symmetrically, nearly every look.

he didn't mean the patterns of the clothes, he meant the patterns of the fabrics themselves

this, patterning.

lmao

Craig totally killed it. Love his return to some of his earlier, more conceptual work. Much superior to FW imo

Can you elaborate? What made it good? Why was it superior?

I love how he is taking a complete 180 from his direction with the Alien costume design, too

More like Alienate the casual scrubs

I can't bring myself to love any of the so far presented fashions. Like maybe, but nothing that makes my eyes widen, my mouth being agape, and my hands sliding from my thighs into my bag and finally settling on my visa card.

Or perhaps I'm still jaded over Philosophy di Lorenzo Serafini's spring/summer '18 fashion. Gosh, someone shoot the designer.

Fuck you.

post stuff you like dingus

costume design and fashio design are totally different, helmut lang, jpg, yohji and many others have done costume design vastly different from their fashion offerings

Can I consider myself to be interested in fashion if I genuinely enjoy only a handful of looks each season and the reason I just find either boring but inoffensive or terrible?

Often I look at the clothes on the runway and I can imagine them being at some cheap no-name store and they wouldn't catch my eye. It looks to me like the big part of the clothes not looking completely terrible are the models.

There is no single way to be interested in fashion. Only you can say if you actually are or are not. And a very specific case such as only liking a small amount of looks doesn't neccesarily have to do with a lack of interest.

I just wonder if I am being like the fashion equivalent of "I fucking love science" where you only like the prime achievements but not the boring details.

Well post the stuff you like and maybe don't like and I'll tell you what you are

Or maybe like just say the look numbers in collections and I'll check it out and then give you the verdict

youtube.com/watch?v=3od_HBtqG_A
Alexander McQueen was very interesting. Not fantastic, but at least good in every aspect and no big blunders which is a nice change for how the brand has been carried in most recent times.

youtube.com/watch?v=ssdkv0UC7ek
Vaccarello achieved some very great things and shit things all in the same collection with Saint Laurent. I particularly love some of the more conceptual womens looks, but it's clear that he's either not ready to or not allowed to leave what Hedi's established for the brand. I'm not sure if he deserves praise for the womens looks I actually liked since many other looks fell flat for me.
The biggest flaws were definitely the more conventional and wearable mens looks that are straight copies of what Hedi did except reimagined poorly. All the gaudy glitter while mostly terrible still had a saving grace in the nice colours that were used sometimes.

>Well post the stuff you like

I probably shouldn't bother because with my lack of fashion experience my appreciation is shallow but this is an imageboard so I guess it can't hurt.

On phone now and going to bed so I won't bother clicking every post you made. So just imagine I'm responding to all of it. That's good stuff you posted. On a good path definitely. Haven't heard of noir key ninomiya before so I'll have to check that out tomorrow.

>page 8

bump

bump

I like how Rick is doing more cropped stuff this season. Really creates an interesting silhouette for men.

wew this is a mess
What show is this from? I don't recognize it from anything I watched.

wow
designer?

Looks like margiela based on makeup, but can't confirm

it is margiela

Do you guys know any sites that discuss current fashion shows or write in-depth articles about them?

right?

bump

Anyone? I tried searching myself but for some reason I can't find any.

stylezeitgeist magazine, NOWfashion, vogue