Smart casual shoes

What are some smart casual shoes?
A fancy sneaker like Gucci, Ferragamo or an oxford paired with jeans and a tee?
What are good fancy sneakers?
General shoes thread too I guess
Pic related are Church's because I really like them

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AmD3TjjBUXQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Always wanted a pair of Thursday Boots desu

Bass Weejuns

What are some casual casual shoes that aren't sneakers but are still shoes.

Derbies with commando sole are very casual and they go well with jeans.
For sneakers, anything, as long as they have a simple design.

brown leather is so embarrassing
get suede if youre afraid of black leather, bumpkin

bass's quality is shit. if you are americunt buy allen edmonds, alden etc loafers instead

How are Loake's?

Captoe shoes fit better, last longer, and allow for more flexibility in design. Definitely recommend those.

good. If you find them on sale, their 1880 line is unbeatable. Even at the regular price they are a good option.

wat

They have some ugly lasts, but the 1880 line is acceptable

crap quality

Anyone know some good waterproof smart casual shoes.

waterproof sole or the uppers? For the sole, anything with storm welt. For the uppers, you can waterproof any leather with the right products.

Preferably both. I guess what I mean is a shoe that won't get ruined by being in water for too long like a lot of leathers do. You can rub some water-resistant wax on allen edmonds but I still wouldn't let them get wet.

youtube.com/watch?v=AmD3TjjBUXQ
There are some very good products for waterproofing. I really recommend investing the time on those.
Besides that, a dark scotch grain leather takes water quite well. There are several brogues with storm welt and that leather. Church, Crockett and Jones and Cheaney have shoes like that.

oxford + jeans = no.
oxford is formal. they have closed lacing, oxford is for suits only

the definition of smart casual is captoed derby. chelsea boot or other open laced boot/derby. the key is open laced system. that is the cutoff between casual and formal.

the pic in your op is derbys btw. so you are on the track. personally i think straight derbys are still abit too formal, they are more for day suits, and business attire. casual is more boots or captoes and loafers like was posted by someone else.

I like boat shoes, they fit that gap inbetween actual dress shoes and sneakers, they look nice enough under a pair of nice jeans. And yes, I wear them all year year round and I wear them with socks, I don't give a fuck. The only shitty part about them is the leather laces, but I just swapped those out with some regular thin laces.

Oxfords can be open-laced too dumbass.

Have a look at deer and other leathers. Apart from that, regularly using shoe cream and wax or spray at least is key to making leather shoes last in wet environments

dude...

Why not just get loafers? They look better and actually are more of a middle ground than boat shoes. Boat shoes are on the same level as sneakers but uglier

Don't be an amerifat and learn the right nomenclature

I knew I would get this reply. I like having laces, which loafers usually don't have. I also prefer having the outsoles, which are usually more flexible and more suited for a casual shoe. As for them being ugly, that's a matter of taste and where I disgree with the general fashion sense.

bumparino

I like to talk about real shoes. So I will post mine.

I wear real shoes (not your trendy whatever super expensive only hip for a minute sneakers) to work.

It's nice owning leather shoes that will las tfor 10-20 years.

I also have 3 other pair of shells that I keep on a different rack.

how did you afford all that?

those are pretty tacky desu. way too much brogue action. brogue are literally the worst kind of show because they don't stretch. brogues are basically on par with monk shoes in their versatility

The most expensive pair were the Shells. They cost 115 bucks with shipping with fresh JR soles and a new recraft. Some person had them recrafted, decided they didn't want them, sold them for a pittance.

The Tramezzas were $15 on ebay.

Alden's were $40 shipped.

The Allen Edmonds I found at the local thrift store. 1 pair literally never worn, the other had minor wear.

I have email notifications for price, size, color and brand. Look for what I want, bid the minimum, lose much more often than I win. I paid for all of them with money made from selling old shoes.

I wear a suit once a month or so. Most of the time I'm wearing some sort of jean or trouser that doesn't call for a plain-toe shoe.

Also, how many plain toes can you possibly own?

I apologize for seeming tacky, posting on finish whaling and scrimshaw forum. In the future I should like to abide by the standard rules of decorum.

Have some saddles.

why do u have this hard fast rule that casual pants must be worn with brogues . having a plain toe doesn't equate with being formal. the purpose of broguing was to allow the shoe to dry quicker when they got drenched in water and muck. the other aspect is that over time with wear , a leather plain toe (or captoe which is the epitome of casual) will naturally stretch and show the creases in the leather, giving that added texture. broguing is way overdone and non-utilitarian imo. just my opinion. I like ur shoe collection

Thanks.

It's not hard and fast, but more of an experience in my particular setting.

More often than not I work alone these days. Sometimes I speak in front of a group of people, but more often than not people dress like shit with shit clothes and make 100-500k a year and don't give a fuck (on this note, I live next to a dude that makes over 2 million a year and his shoes are like Merrel clogs).

It seems to me that some smart casual dressers exist along the middle and lower rungs, but the higher tier people just gave up when they hit 35. Maybe it's just academics?

As for the history of brogues and ghillies, I know much, much more than one might expect and average sort to know. I've read Johnson and Boswell and know of the savage origins of the Highlanders' footwear. The storied-origins hold that they make a new pair weekly.

I've got lots of plain toes, i've just grown bored and put them up.

the clothes you wear affect your psychology . but for most, they are just a product of their psychology

A little smug for buying used shoes.

meant to say "byproduct".

yeah, that makes more sense.

I've got some black plain derbys as well. What next?

shoe wax, cotton fabric and a horse hair brush.

Why americans always have those god ugly tan brogues

It really depends on the brand.

I'm British. What colour do you prefer? Nothing wrong with tan Oxford/derbys. It's a classic.

Pic related. What I've got.

>Sperry Duck Boots
Disgusting.
If you're going to buy that style of boot, buy them from L.L. Bean. You get a lifetime (as in until you die) warranty on them, support a company that makes quality products here in the US, and in my opinion they look better.

I don't know, it's those fugly allen edmonds everyone has in the states. Not big on broguing either

I appreciate from where you are coming but no smugness is intended.

Not all them have been used. The Bruno Maglis were NOS, the florsheim were also deadstock, the sperry duck boots were new, and unpictured allen edmond park avenue was new but steeply discounted (firsts too)--sadly they didn't fit well. The Tramezzas came from a guy I follow who raids estate sales and looked like they had been worn to a funeral or wedding and then put in the closet. The shoe was almost new.

I also buy all of my brooks brothers shirts second hand for 5 bucks.

I also buy my sneakers (Superga and nike) and boat shoes (4 pairs of boat shoes) new because those are shoes I wouldn't wear used.

I fully agree with your sentiment, and if, at the time, I had known the difference I would have bought the LL Bean duck boots.

I needed a rain boot for long walks with a nonslip sole and went for those because of reviews on 6pm. Looking back, I wish I had purchased some nice leather boots with a commando sole or LL Bean boots.

i fucking love loafers. bless you. they're plebby, but I wear cole haan casually and for work.

They're Grensons and loake.

Polish them. They need it.

And about your question: A dark brown derby or oxford would be good. A burgundy pair of shoes would be good too.

Oh, yeah,and those are worst of the Northampton shoemakers

lol, wtf.
I don't know if there are bad shoemakers in Northhampton. Loake 1880 are solid and Grenson G2 and Triple Welt are really good.

Any thoughts on the c&j Pembroke?

They're still good shoes. I have trickers chukkas as well.

those aldens and maurizis look good, and i don't even like broguing

Beautiful. I love them. Check the Harrogate too, just in case you might like them, even though is not the same style at all. Pic related.

Most of Loake (except 1880) and Grenson's (except G:Zero and G:One) shoes are made in India.

I would only buy 1880 series but really for 200£ you aren't going to get much better.