Is it possible to dress "cyberpunk" without looking like a total faggot?

Is it possible to dress "cyberpunk" without looking like a total faggot?

no.
but you can still do it if you are man enough not to defer to others

yes just dress like they all do on the neb, the matrix. it's low key

maybe at a rave lol. do those still even happen? I think raving got replaced with chadbro edm plebs.

absolutely yes! analyze the media that inspires you and pick out themes you like. deconstruct those themes and apply them to your own personal taste. if you try dressing like your favorite cyberpunk character you're going to look like a big nerd ("a total faggot") wearing a costume.

for example, i'm more into techy, sleek looks and draw more inspiration from, say, deus ex and shadowrun than i do the matrix.

keanu was serving looks on the nebuchadnezzar tho. i personally find that style really pleasing to look at, it's just not for me personally.

good luck!

t. cyberpunk grill

calmly challenge whoever dares criticise you to a fight in order to emasculate them, even the girls

Yes.

Dress like a metalhead who likes Ministry, keep the futuristic elements minimal and subtle.
That is the essential cyberpunk look.
Everything else is either a caricature (your pic), or a non-specific scifi look that gets misbranded as "cyberpunk" (this ).

What's supposed to be cyberpunk about this picture?
That shit could be from an idealistic space opera for all we know. Hell it could even be from a high fantasy comic book, like this chick could be a super-villain from the fairy realm of shadows or someshit.

Just dress like knoch

>shadowrun
>sleek looks

>the matrix
>not sleek

nigga what?

Shadowrun is the archetypal zany "pink mohawk" take on cyberpunk with goofy accessories and spiked shoulderpads and tattoos and piercings and elves and ogres and dragons and cyber wizards and cyber goggles and cyber limbs and wolverine claws and vibrating katanas and shit.

Matrix is the archetypal "black trenchcoat" ultra-neutered realistic take on cyberpunk where everything is so sleek that half of the characters wear latex and the other half wear business suits.

And you choose to take inspiration from Shadowrun in order to get a sleek look?

What the fuck is wrong with you?

my photo wasn't entirely included as an example of cyberpunk, rather as something that i take inspiration from. i thought it would make sense contextually, as that's what my post was about.

you give solid advice for the classic cyb look tho. definitely the authentic gibson experience. i gravitate more towards the "high tech" side so i tend to turn up the futurism a little more. minimal and technical. it all depends on the person.

it's concept art for eliza cassan from deus ex, which i mentioned as an inspiration in my post. it's not something i want to mimic completely, but it's an aesthetic i admire so i take it apart and apply it to my personal taste.

that's such a good look desu

i'm referring to the newer games by harebrained, not the super old school stuff. of course there are still silly character designs mixed in because of the setting, but there are some remarkably interesting, understated techy designs included as well.

as for the matrix, most of the looks are too 2000s for me. the latex and leather is what puts me off. the looks on the neb are great, just not my thing.

Rip off outfits from The Expanse

+1 good show. you can also attack it from a function perspective. purely make it about function, and then go from there. ie. make the clothes yourself, have extra pocket for i phone, with cord opening, etc. lots of jackets have that already, but, little things like that, i think are what say "cyber", because they actually have a function technologically.

or have like a backpack, that doubles as holder for your tablet. as fas as the punk part of it, well, what does that even mean. punk is a very contextual thing, and it relates to a certain time period, cyber is a totally different time period, and so they are basically mutually exclusive aesthetically speaking, and you are just artifically joining them.

you could just as easily create a cyber prep core, or a cyber formal core, or conversely, pair something else with punk, like minimal punk. nihilist punk core. the problem with punk is it just so godamm tacky and it engulfs whatever you pair it with as soon as you wear a mohawk, or doc martens.

you could have your entire outfit in future minimal, but if you have hi top docs and a mohawk then you just collapse into punk

That's very true, but you gotta realize, the charm of cyberpunk is precisely its anachronistic aspect. The concept is simply "what would a random XX century street thug do if he had access to advanced tech?" That's why it would be fucking stupid to add doc martens and a mohawk to an expensive-looking future minimal outfit that's designed with optimal tactical efficiency in mind.

It has to be the other way around: dress like a piss-poor sewer-dwelling junkie who mugs people for a living, and add a few futuristic accessories.

You don't "pair punk with something else", you make punk more high-tech.

>It has to be the other way around: dress like a piss-poor sewer-dwelling junkie who mugs people for a living, and add a few futuristic accessories.

Yeah, I agree with this. And plus, I think it's fair to say that just about 100% of cyberpunk films and novels are set in a violently dystopian near-future, so setting is everything with this look. If you don't live in Tokyo or Hong Kong or Manhattan or some massive, densely populated cosmopolitan city, the look isn't really gonna be possible. A person can dress however they choose and try to project whatever they want, but to be cyberpunkish you kind of have to be surrounded by urban decay, crime, sleazy neon bars, overpopulated streets, etc. Like in Children of Men (which wasn't exactly cyberpunk) everyone just wore more or less normal contemporary clothes that were ratty as hell and gone to seed. Same thing on the Neb, with those cool sweaters that were ripped and torn and had random holes all over them 'cos they were supposed to be centuries old. So one could actually look kind of cyberpunkish just by dressing near-homeless-core, but maybe with a shaved head or buzzcut or whatever type of grim, harshly utilitarian look works best for them.

Just keep it simple. Don't try too hard to look "cyberpunk" and don't buy shit like damascus and dustrial

>i'm referring to the newer games by harebrained
dragon fall was the shiet.
hong kong was cool too.

Just watch Batman Beyond, OP.

How do I pull off JC-core

very few characters actually have a cyberpunk look, most characters are very preppy or generic scifi.

Cosplay as Neo

yea

Cyberpunk is dead

No.

hong kong is super good, but some of the characters feel a little flat compared to dragonfall.

all that being said tho racter is still daddy

My housemate wears that jacket, or at least an exact copy of it but black, to work.
Looks pretty cool and I'm jelly a fuck.

>Dress like a metalhead who likes Ministry
Most accurate thing in thread.

that doesn't really look cyberpunk at all
that's just homeless core
the setting is the only thing that's cyber about it

they're all wearing weird combat boots and they got plugs

but yeah not a very good example

I dress pretty much like pic related, is this even /fa? Would you call it normcore? Doest it even have a name?

>dress "cyberpunk"

I hope I don't embarass myself trying to be a smartass but from what I understand you can't really dress cyberpunk because it's not an aesthetic.

Oh it totally is an aesthetic, just not an existing real-life fashion trend. The closest real-life thing is rivethead fashion.

The core design tenet of cyberpunk is "low-life high-tech" and you can easily narrow it down to "mid-80s metropolitan areas getting fucked in the ass by near-future scifi tech". Really not difficult to picture what that looks like.

dadcore

>someone who maintains that mirrorshade sunglasses never went out of fashion
^
^
^
THIS

SUNGLASSES VERY IMPORTANT

I cannot stress this enough: slightly unusual sunglasses worn at all times will go a long way towards making you look cyberpunk.

It's simple but obvious: sunglasses hide your expressions; they dehumanize your face in a subtle but radical way, they make you look a little meaner and colder, and if they look slightly futuristic, they will directly convey the idea that your worldview is being filtered by technology, or that you're shielding yourself from it. I know it sounds cheesy as shit but edgy sunglasses are basically a shorthand for VR headsets or X-ray goggles, and that's all you really need. The difference between "teenage douchebag who just stepped out of a Skinny Puppy show" and "freelance hitman from the future" is all in the sunglasses.

In cyberpunk fiction, sunglasses are such a ridiculously common trope that The Matrix uses them as a symbol for heightened awareness. If you've seen "They Live" you understand why.

Even basic teashades will bring you that much closer to cyberpunk if the rest of your fit allows it.

>cyberpunk
>apple fag
doubt (x)

>voice changer boots

The Millennium was a different time.

Good as any place to post this, opinions on these boots?

I just watched the new Blade Runner and loved the aesthetic Gosling has going on where he just spends the whole movie getting the shit kicked out of him and everything he wears ends up being crusty and covered in dust.

These are the bots he's wearing, and I think I could pull them off since they're actual boots and don't look too goofy.

they look fine
But wear them with a biker-type fit, they will look gross on anything even remotely dapper or preppy.

Cool, makes sense. Thoughts on the shorter version?

Looks less good.

ATR fuck yeah