Do you actively practice any sports Veeky Forums? Any martial arts...

Do you actively practice any sports Veeky Forums? Any martial arts? What are the most Veeky Forums sports/martial arts currently?

I myself am mainly a HEMA practitioner and do some kickboxing and power yoga on the side.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VvGp1vbDvNY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Do you actively practice any sports Veeky Forums?
Does walking count?

No, neither is taking it up the ass, unless you're actively humping your ass against your BF's dick.

Muay Thai. Good practical martial art and also great cardio for that o t t e r m o d e

Cote&Ciel is nice

ment to post here >janitor help

How much does it typically cost to get into HEMA OP. I've always wanted to try it.

So if he is a monogamouus homosexual it counts, and if he just get punde4d by random dudes it doesnt?

Ur logic is a confusing as ur sexuality.

Boxing is fa, if ur not getting hitted in the head and just do it as great fucking cardio.
So is biking, if u dont tryhard and also dancing is pretty fucking fa.

I did fencing in high school and actually got pretty good at it. Ended up coming in fifth in the regional conference one year. Regretfully, I didn't continue with it.
If I ever get a decent income I'll do HEMA though. I might look into boxing in the meantime. I used to cycle a lot, but my cardio is in the shitter and I need to build up endurance. Recently I've been swimming once or twice a week at a local beach. I don't know how much of it is me actually trying to get fit or just wanting an excuse to wear swim briefs in public.

ID on everything in pic

Lets say my school is pretty unorthodox compared to most and you can cover most of the curriculum up to light sparring with nothing more than a sword and light gloves at a total cost of about 300ish Euro, but most clubs don't spar without a full kit that can cost around 1000ish for the most basic equipment. Lots of clubs however have loaner gear for new members.

My personal advice is don't do any sort of contact work until you're at least 2-3 months into solo drills, but that, again, is highly dependent on your club/school.
Where do you live so I can tell you if I know of clubs to check out/avoid?

I live in The US in California so its probably slim pickings here. I'm gonna guess your European.

Tennis

ride mountain bikes and road bikes as exercise/conditioning for the main event -> riding dirt bikes. i fucking shred.

BJJ

Nope. I do 100 pushups, 100 bodyweight squats, and 50 dips twice a week, then 15 pull-ups and 100 sit ups twice a week. Alternating, so i exercise 4 days a week.

That's the totality of my exercise. Years ago I did HEMA for 2 months, and I thai boxed for a couple years before moving to the middle of nowhere for work. HEMA is pretty fun, and Thai boxing was great exercise.

>either die a slide thread or live long enough to become a cringe thread

I believe in taking care of myself, in a balanced diet and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, i'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches, i can do a thousand now.

Joe Rogan browses fa?

I do rugby but it's mostly because it's fun, I like the culture and it keeps me fit. Makes me look more and more shit the longer I play. Have some crooked fingers and starting to develop early symptoms of cauliflower ear. Still enjoy it though.

I spend a lot of time road & mountain biking, doing tai chi, rock climbing, and working out to improve my ability at those things.

I dabble in cross country skiing and would like to add kayaking to the list.

Most Veeky Forums sport is tennis.

underrated post.

Completely agree

power yoga
I tried krav maga for a little and would like to get back into it at some point
Power yoga keeps me coming back because its kinda meditative, doesn't require much special gear or shoes, and I can go in the middle of the day

what makes it POWER yoga?

Seems like anything you can go do in the middle of the day is not, in fact, POWER anything...

EXCUSE me, i should have said Vinyasa Yoga - its more of a workout than other forms of yoga, which are more meditative and involve much less movement overall- long time holding each pose - ive only tried other forms once or twice cuz i like vinyasa

I admire vinyasa quite a bit.

Says the weakling that's gasping for air after climbing a single flight of stairs. Join a martial art you won't regret it

Urbex and cycling. Graf can get REALLY demanding of your body. It's like parkour sometimes, albeit slower.

Wrestling for all of your questions

A second for cross country skiing the community is pretty fa in general

except cauliflower ears are not Veeky Forums

>imblying

You'll never make it

I started lifting a few months ago and I practice some stuff from Kung Fu and other martial arts I took as a kid.

>Tennis
>Veeky Forums

Yeah, if you're a nouveau riche wannabe
Next thing you're gonna say is golf is rad af lmao

If you're not practicing martial arts you're a bottom. Let's face it, you can be alpha even if you don't do martial arts, but you can't be alpha if you don't do jack shit AND browse a mongolian basket-weaving forum.

Kendo can get pretty Veeky Forums.

Except kendo is shit as a martial art. Look to your European roots and you will see the truth.

>Except kendo is shit as a martial art.
What do you mean by that? What do you think martial arts are? Kendo is great as a budo or martial art/way.

A martial art is defined by it's applicability in a realistic scenario without rule sets. Sure if you train kendo you can hit someone over the head really really fast, but that's basically everything. It does not teach situational awareness, it does not prioritize targets in a realistic way, it teaches no grappling, no versatility and there are actual "illegal" strikes, and it rewards so called "doubles". It's basically tag with sticks.

While you probably won't ever get to use a sword in a realistic combat scenario in sensible HEMA tournaments the only illegal strikes are basically joint breaks and INTENTIONAL strikes to the back of the head. Furthermore HEMA encompasses a lot of grappling and different weapons, like daggers, swords, spears batons etc. A huge spectrum of the things you learn can be applied easily with an extendable baton in self defense, or just about any striking implement you can get your hands on and if your fencing school is adequate you will also know grappling and wrestling.
I realize I sounds like a huge sperg, but seriously, there are very few martial arts as pure and practical today as historic European martial arts. Not to mention there are some sick fits.

t. naruto-runs between kendo class and intro to conversational Japanese

I don't think that's what defines a martial art is it's application in a realistic scenario. I doubt anyone in their day to day life is having sword fights. That just doesn't happen in modern world. Martial arts are codified systems and traditions of combat practices. Of course, there's a special meaning to each person what martial arts "actually" are and that's a part of being a martial artist. To strive to know "true" martial art. It's the same for kendo or any other martial art, I think. Kendo is not about hitting someone on the head. It's about respect, discipline and self development through the Japanese sword. It really does teach situalional awarness a lot, that's a very important part of kendo teachings, called "zanshin". It doesn't teach grapling anymore - it used to - but it's been removed, because techniques used were a little too dangerous for kids to use in schools. It does have "illegal" zones to strike - basically everything that's not covered by armour so you won't hurt your practice partner. Modern kendo may be one of the safest martial arts nowadays that has free full contact sparring. And yes, the double strikes are entirely kendo techniques that aren't applicable in the actual sword fights and you can get points for them. They are in kendo purely because of the fact that they teach more good points than bad ones - like being able to attack continously, move forward and have a "positive" fighting attitute - which means the attack is the best defense, so you'll have to keep moving forward and keep things "positive" and commit. White some techkiques like renzoku waza which you mentioned became purely kendo, they were actually based on real kenjutsu techniques - all of kendo techniques were. The same double strike can be used to strike the sword out of way first and then hit the target - so there you can find some "useful" things.

All the techniques that were considered too dangerous were removed from kendo though. Because the vision for kendo was to be re-imagined in the modern world so that everyone could practice it safely. I agree that it may seem that tag with stick to a person outside of kendo community, but it actually isn't and there's a lot much more to it.

While I know nothing of HEMA, I can agree that it stays true to its roots more, with more actual techniques and teachings about swordsmanship and do it how it actually was practiced in the old days, the same way kenjutsu still does. Kendo just is a modern way of traditional fencing that is aimed to be approachable by everyone - children, adults, seniors, men, women. And the goal is personal development while keeping the core values of a martial art and tradition.

You seem to have missed the part where I thoroughly explain that HEMA teaches grappling, wrestling, dagger/knife and baton. You don't need a sword to make it useful in a modern context, just a stick, knife or a telescopic baton (which I opt for).

Kendo is a sport, not a martial art, sorry. All that bushido ninja Mickey Mouse shit is useless in the context of real combat and survival.

martial
ˈmɑːʃ(ə)l
adjective: martial
relating to fighting or war.

War is a dirty fucking thing. Best case scenario you want to catch your opponent off guard, slit his throat and gtfo. Wars aren't led on an even playing field with both commanders agreeing to a time and place and just clashing their armies head first into one another. The same way two armies would try to surprise, outflank and entrap each other that is the essence of singular combat.

I fence, so like the non-autistic version of HEMA.

i am a boxer

I'm going to a meeting today for a boxing charity event. Basically they teach us boxing for 2 months for free as long as we get people to donate 50 smackaroos and then we fight and people bet on it. People are gonna be newbies.

Would this be a good introduction to the sport?

How old were you when you started HEMA?

I don't know man, I've met some pretty autistic sabreurs and I haven't been fecing for long

gonna try to start boxing this summer (southern hemisphere). Wish me luck so I don't quit it after a month like everytime I get a new hobby.

Where in California? I know of at least 2 schools off the top of my head in LA.

Fencing is pretty boring. I like smacking people with metal bars

>my way of training with outdated tools I'll never see outside my training group is superior to yours

HEMA shouldn't even be considered a martial art, just like Kendo, and just like sport fencing. A martial art is for combat, literally an art of Mars, the god of war. If it has no applications in modern fighting, it shouldn't be called a martial art. HEMA fencing has no applications for combat unless you're living before the 20th century, which you aren't. Even its dagger techniques are fucking trash and outdated, the only area that has any real world application is the ringen, which you can learn better from a regular wrestling coach (the true living descendant of HEMA wrestling, faggot), judo club, or jiu jitsu club.

Your glorious European martial heritage is just as shit as the Japs'. Pic related looks like it could be a common trip in Thai Boxing, though.

that's because foil and saber are for autists

Chill out. It's a hobby. I like history, and hema is kinda like experimental archaeology...sort of..

I wanted to take fencing in college.. annoys me that I didn't.

lol look at this cringelord faggot

Southern Cali I live about 30 minutes from LA.

Shut up nerd.

>Tennis
>nouveau riche

I can go to into nearly any store and pick up everything I would need to play tennis for $20. There are free public courts at at most parks

If I want to practice martial arts I have to find a gym with martial arts options and pay expensive fees to go there. If I want to practice at home I need to invest money into things like punching bags, hand wraps, etc..

If anything martial arts is for nouveau riche wannabes.

golf is mad fun lad
golf culture (if thats a thing) is kinda shite, but couldnt really care about that less

>I play tag with car antennas
fixed that for you

>being this buttblasted
Did a longswordsman fuck your dad or something? You're clearly talking out of your ass, if you think melee weapon training isn't implemented in modern warfare. HEMA is a great representative of a martial art, because it always aims for efficiency and simplicity with the singular goal of staying alive and defeating your opponent. There are disarms in multiple medieval manuals that are still being printed in modern day combatives training books used in the US army today and that is because you always strive for simplicity and efficiency in combat. If something has been working for 500 years you clearly don't need to reinvent it all over again, because the body mechanics of humans have not changed and what has worked still will.

21, I'm about to turn 25 now

i play pick-up soccer once or twice a week at the turf field near me. i've played on some teams, but i have a hectic work schedule so i prefer just playing whenever i'm free.

since it's a public field i play with all types of players, skill levels and ages. the thing i really love about soccer is that you can always play according to what mood you're in and who you're playing against: sitting still and passing, trying to out-dribble everyone, doing a lot of sprinting, playing goalie.

i don't even watch professional soccer, just love playing it.

Shin-kicking

youtu.be/VvGp1vbDvNY

Traditional melee weapons are ideal for home defense in a noguns country.

I box, amazing cardio, I admit I spar like a retard almost every training session, but the heavy bag gets boring after 15 rounds

>slide thread
>Veeky Forums
the fuck

It's about the association with class and posh shit, you're dense as shit my nigga.