At what era was music at it's best?

At what era was music at it's best?

Technically right now

2007 with in rainbows

00s

just enough technology and talent

now everything is autotune and digital

Right now.

You will never see such experimentation with music as you did in the late 60's and 70's. It was at it's best in the 90's though. 80's were the best time to be a tasteless pleb

Late 70s through 80s into the early 90s because of yellow magic orchestra and everything ymo-adjacent

you also got to wear turtlenecks with high-waist harem pants in the 80s so that's another cool plus

dis

00s music aged like shit

had to double check the board i was in, well played m'good sir xd

80s because synths and goths

1750-1820

>implying it isn't at its best right now

Can't get an objective answer from a subjective question m8

80s

Either this or the 90s; I'm on the fence.

Always the current year, always. If you're talking about the state of the industry and whatnot then that's something else entirely. 60s were cool because it bridged the gap between the avant garde and the mainstream. 00s were cool because it was the first time basically anyone could use the studio as an instrument / lowered the barrier to entry so there's a lot of really awesome boundary pushing stuff in that era as well. 80s had pretty technically/theoretically sound music in the mainstream, a lot of new wave and prog shit from that period is pretty complex when you really listen. But yeah in terms of accessibility the present day always prevails

>00s were cool because it was the first time basically anyone could use the studio ad an instrument
What? This is a ridiculous statement, its been a thing since the late 60s. Biggest example I can think of is Sgt Peppers
Agree on the barrier being lowered but you could also say that was done earlier with 4 tracks.

>You will never see such experimentation with music as you did in the late 60's and 70's
mate in the digital age you have an endless supply of experimental music. Bandcamp is full of absolutely bonkers shit, way nutter than anything found before the internet.

The difference is the quality. When literally anyone can make """experimental""" music it lowers the bar to the point of having to disregard like 90% of it

2017 because we have Lil Pump who us literally the 2pac of rap right now.

D ROSE
D ROSE
D ROSE

^^^

Sure, but the experimentation of the late 60s and 70s was driven by some changes in music that can't really be compared to what's going on today. Most notably:
1) synthesizers finally became somewhat affordable, allowing common musicians to make sounds that had never been heard before;
2) perhaps the most notable marriage between high and low art ever seen in musical history took place, i.e. pop/rock music started to merge with classical and jazz and subsequently pop music got taken seriously as an art form for the first time.

Now I'm well aware that there's a ton of experimental music right now, but it's hard to make music that's more "out there" than what composers of the mid 20th century have done before (musique concrete, serialism, etc.), or more revolutionary than the music of hippies and punks.

IMO what sets the current period of music apart has more to do with the methods of distribution and discovery of music than the actual content. We're living in an age where for the first time in history, anyone can record and self-publish music on a shoestring budget and reach a world wide audience. All you need is a laptop, basically.