As a guy who wears suits to work, what type of winter jacket should i buy?

as a guy who wears suits to work, what type of winter jacket should i buy?

are my only options topcoats and long parkas? any affordable brands?

right now, i just own a topcoat from zara, but the sleeve widths are now too tight for my arms (th-thanks to Veeky Forums)

is there any occasion where i would wear my jacket like pic related?

Other urls found in this thread:

ca.suitsupply.com/en_CA/coats/navy-overcoat/J461LB.html
gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?cid=1091901&pcid=5168&vid=1&pid=864244033
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>is there any occasion where i would wear my jacket like pic related?
If you were in a photo shoot. It's actually incredibly uncomfortable.

I was in the same boat as you. Zara isn't going to work. If you don't mind the price, I have a Brooks Brothers coat that I like. Fits me fine and has a nice drop, so you avoid that boxy look. Silhouette is your most important thing when buying menswear. Good news is you can always get it tailored.

42-44 chest and 34 waist here.

>are my only options topcoats
Yes, but there are a lot of different types of those so it should be fine.

My advice is that you thrift an old one (70s or earlier) in good condition, those are all cut to accomodate a full suit and the quality is great for the price you'll pay.

Get yourself a simple hooded parka. Preferably made of wool.

double breasted and woolen. You can also get a trench coat with a removable insulator. 3 inches above or below the knee max if you want it to be both practical and good looking. If your workplace is formal enough for suits you can pull it off daily. Pricewise, start thrifting. Most stuff below 500 is trash sadly. As for inspo look for menswear ads (20s-50s)

thanks

don't live near thriftstores, and feel like it will be rare to find something i like, that fits well

what about something like pic related?

ca.suitsupply.com/en_CA/coats/navy-overcoat/J461LB.html

parkas are very popular here

some guys at my workplace wear Canada Goose and Nobis. but I don't want to wear something that expensive. and i usually don't wear clothes with logos too

actually thinking of buying pic related if it fits well

gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?cid=1091901&pcid=5168&vid=1&pid=864244033

Topcoats and (non-milsurp) trench coats are your best bet. They're literally designed to be worn over a suit jacket.

Other winter outerwear is not and you may have fit issues in the arms, where your suit sleeves get pushed up and rumpled by the coat.

looks a bit small and flimsy for winter, have you considered ebay?

Zara ----hahaha. that place is like an Indian flea market in Pakistan .

>don't live near thriftstores
Ebay it, I checked just now and saw a CC41 tweed overcoat in size 40 for about £125, in great shape too.

Can't go wrong with a simple knee length topcoat imo

double breasted or single? shoulder pads or not? fabric? thickness? color?

Depends on the suit. As far as color goes; camel coat for a blue suit, black coat for a gray suit, dark gray or black coat for a black suit.

I would go with double. They look better closed and are in fact warmer. Single breasted ones make you look like stuffed sausage sometimes.

double breasted look worse open though, same with motorcycle jackets. because they have the extended fabric that wraps underneath

Double breasted since it's more classic and highlights your build better, just go with full wool, as for colors, camel, navy or mid grey, they go with most things

is it fine to wear a navy coat with a navy suit?

it actually depends on your body type, a double breasted peacoat will create wider horizontal effect, and thus would be better suited for someone who wants to enlarge and widen their upper torso,

comparatively, a single breasted places the eye in center, and vertically, and thus better for those who want to create a taller vertical illusion, someone with a square body type would benefit from this, whereas a double breasted would only enhance the "squareness" of their frame.

again, someone with a wider square frame might actually want to enhance that aspect of their body anyway, it's all how you want to approach things

ie. if you are the owner of a cement-mixing company who gets alot of contracts to lay house foundations, a prospective client may be swayed your way when you meet by choosing to enhance your wide frame, with a double breasted. subconsciously, this can be the difference between getting a million dollar contract

by subconsciously enhancing the horizontal visual, you create a subconcsious message of sturdiness, and stability

Looks p cool imo. Depends on the coat of course. If you are buying it for winter you are not going to primarly wear it open anyway

Yes, it's perfectly acceptable.