I have $10,000 cash in Vanguard

I have $10,000 cash in Vanguard.

I want a medium risk medium reward investment. I personally believe we are headed towards a mild economic recession around the world, and a profit recession in America.

Where should I invest? Treasuries are problematic because the Fed keeps talking up interest rates.
Oil is already off its lows and will likely stay around $50-60.
Commodities are dependent on a slowing China.
Stocks in the US are at all-time high P/E.
Housing is at record prices.

I was thinking about investing in Latin American bonds/stocks. Is this a good idea?
Old picture related.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.nasdaq.com/article/mobile-banking-will-you-be-hacked2-cm91424
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump

Maybe emerging market stocks.

how about just buying $900 worth of vti every month regardless of market condition?

Watch emerging markets. Buy the 2017/2018 dips and hold.

Don't access your investment portfolio on your phone, noob. It's the most insecure communication method know to man, and you're basically transmitting your login credentials to the world.

Use an owned PC, use a 10-16 character randomized password, and use 2-factor authentication.

My money is protected by insurance.

I'm not going to be autistic and not use my phone for it.

Why 2017-2018 dips? How do you even predict that? Emerging markets are up 25% since February already.

That's idiotic.

I would recommend something like this, but maybe add an international fund as well. Dollar cost average and diversify.

you think latin america will be a shelter during a global recession? a place with rampant inflation and corruption to begin with?

>>point and laugh

That just seems problematic.

I just need a passive investment to put my cash to work.

US T bonds are just too low of risk. Maybe Latin American bonds?

Mild global recession.

And there's nothing to say investing in America or Europe during a recession is smart.

A SP 500 investor in 2005 wouldn't have made back his money until 2012.

An emerging market in 2005 made it back in 2010.

But, hey I might just got for T bonds or a Roth IRA.

invest in indexes, they're naturally diversified, they follow market trends.

That's probably a good bet.

Any recommendations?

I used to have the SP 500 index, and that was decent.
I just expect stocks to decline this fall pretty heavily. There's not much upside.

The energy rebound already ended.

Healthcare stocks are overbought.

Tech is overbought.

Fuck everything is overbought PE ratio.

I have been invested in APPL and healthcare indexes for a while. Got fucked of course, but I'm holding long-term.

This is called investing.

If you try your foolish market timing when do you know when to get back into the action? You don't. You will hesitate. You will miss signficant portions of the next run up in stocks.

Don't try to time the market. You won't outperform it in the long run. 90+% of the funds that employ some of the highest educated folks in the world cannot beat the S&P 500 in the long run (20ish years). Outperforming for a few years and then giving back all of the gains and then some is the norm.

Dollar. Cost. Average.

Three. Fund. Portfolio.

Google it.

Invest in nanotechnology and bio-medical companies.

well desu, i'm always looking at investment as a long term deal. any of my short term higher risk investment are a fraction of my overall investment portfolio.

this is why short term stock investment is a fucking bad idea unless you have inside info.

I think bonds will outperform stocks.

Is there a decent bond ETF?

i have my 401k in NOSIX. it follows the S&P 500 pretty closely.

Ask yourself a question. Why do you need to sell anything until retirement? You should be in this for the long haul.

Stop being an emotional bitch.

You should have an emergency fund with a year of cash in case of a job loss, etc. before even thinking about investing. The e-fund will help you sleep safe and sound through just about every "market" situation.

Are you still an emotional bitch? Ok. Then invest like a 60+ year old with a 50% stock 50% bond portfolio. That's a simple portfolio for capital preservation. You won't make dick but you will probably keep pace with inflation. You probably have 35+ years until retirement. Who cares what the market does along the way?

The only sensible move for a young person is to dollar cost average the market while decreasing your overall volatility and risk every 5-7 years with a 5-7% increase in bond allocation.

Hmm.

But US stocks are overvalued in my opinion. Wait for the drop, however shallow it will be?

Young person here.

Is there any reason to go with a company like vanguard or is it better to just use Robinhood and go passive: Bonds, Stocks, International?
>no expense-ratio
>no worry about company bullshit

US stocks have traded historically at 16.7 times earnings.

You are trying to time the market. People smarter and more specialized than you have been trying to do this for forever. As stated previously, the overwhelming majority fail. Consistently.

You are suffering from confirmation bias.

When will you know when to get back in? You will be too scared if the market plummets - and I know you don't have an e-fund. So you will panic sell. Too bad. Not so if you dollar cost average all the way down (buying stocks on discount) and all the way back up.

Superior returns.

Robinhood convinces most end users that they can predict the future. Users generally trade impulsively and eventually suffer massive losses on < $5000 "portfolios".

Vanguard is an excellent choice.

Priorities:

1. Track your spending (Mint is a fantastic free choice). Create a sensible monthly budget for rent, utilities, food, etc.
2. Build a cash emergency fund that has 6-12 months of living expenses. Don't touch it.
3. Max your company HSA if available (triple tax advantaged).
4. Invest in your company 401k to the match.
5. Max IRA or use backdoor IRA if you make too much $$$.
6. Max company 401k.
7. Invest in taxable accounts. Vanguard is a great choice for this.

You should be seeking long-term investments.

If you want good long-term stocks, look at IBM and John Deere, for example.

Otherwise, stick with Vanguard, but maybe invest in their other funds, as well.

Thank you for this reply. Unfortunately my company doesn't have a 401k so I want to open a Roth IRA.

Taxable accounts meaning mutual index funds?

Can you clarify on this. I do 100% of my (tiny) investing online, but I'm about to get a six-figure windfall and plan to invest all of it. I think you're probably just paranoid and full of shit, but if you have proof then I want to see it.

>My money is protected by insurance.
FDIC insurance protects you if the bank goes bust, not if someone steals your account information.

Fuck, you kids are dumb.

Are you really this stupid? When you use your phone, you're using a public broadcast radio to transmit all the information needed to empty your account. Worse yet is any public or free wifi, which is basically like shouting your password in a crowded room.

Even if someone doesn't steal the information from the signal, people lose their phones all the time or have them stolen. Now someone has your credentials.

Be an adult and follow sound practices with your investment account. If you're not a poorfag, it's literally the most valuable thing you own.

I use Wealthfront. You just make regular deposits and it buys and manages a mix of ETFs for you.

Why is your return so off? You're up ~10% from cost basis to market value but overall returns say 2.5%. Is that just YTD or does Wealthfront charge crazy fees?

Hey, shithead, I asked for PROOF. Proof isn't saying a bunch of scary shit about hackers and unsecured wifi. It's providing links to actual investment or security blogs.

Finace apps don't let you save a password. Robinhood just has a pin, but that's because Robinhood is for ninth graders that want to lose their allowance on meme stocks.

If what you said was true, I feel like every major firm letting you buy, sell, and manage your account via phone means they aren't too worried about it.

One more time, I want proof. Not you, dipshit, someone else saying this. Don't come back with some "if you're too stupid to listen than you deserve to lose everything" bullshit like I expect.

if you're too stupid to listen than you deserve to lose everything

Buy gold. The risk is moderate, about 25%. The reward is moderate, about 15%. If you sell half when it's up $100 and the other half when it's up another $100 I estimate you'd have approx. 3-1 odds for success within 2 years. 7% a year, about on par with a decent dividend stock without the generously estimated 50/50 recession risk.

If EM's are shriveling the US is in big trouble before 2020.

Cost basis/market value is for what you currently own, while return is all-time.

>trading websites don't use https or ssl
What shitty places are you looking at?

Buy AA for valuation and split into two companies. Should get a 30% return by yearend. I recommended and abx earlier this year and no one cared and it has doubled since

>Stocks in the US are at all-time high P/E.

wrong, completely. meme started by using completely faulty data. we are nowhere near tech- or 2008 pe ratios. not even half way.

It's better to use vanguard and buy a mutual fund or etf and be passive or better yet a brokerage account and buy an etf. Robin Hood is kiddie stuff for losing money

>2008

I take it you weren't around during y2k

You're a fucking idiot.
>What is the FINRA
>What is the SIPC

Kill yourself autist.

Great, another noob. Posting small-scale insurance programs that protect from brokerage closures just makes you a bigger idiot than the other guy (if that was even possible).

Show me the program that protects you when someone steals your accounts credentials. Show me any program that provides protection for anyone other than poorfags. I'll be waiting faggot.

>I have $10,000 cash in Vanguard.
>I want a medium risk medium reward investment
not happening.

wow those PE's are absolutely insane

Show me a case where someone had his account credentials stolen and wasn't able to recover his account.

Unresolved fraud cases aren't public information, and brokerages don't publish these statistics because it would scare the shit out of the public.

What they do warn is that it can, has, and will continue to happen. Even Vanguard's own website tells you that their mobile app is vulnerable.

But faggots like you think you should be able to do everything with your phone. So you get an app, because Vanguard wants your business. And when you fuck up, you've been warned so that's on you. It's not Vanguard's fault you used the app despite their warning. Sucks to be you.

Yes, fortunately, the modern banking system contains many fraud prevention features. But relying on them to fix your fuckups is the worst attitude possible. Be an adult. Take responsibility for protecting your own money. It's nice to know there are some protections out there, but don't stumble through life like a man-sized child.

Good post

Say they get access to my account

What are they gonna do, sell all my funds and transfer it to MY bank?

Dumb nigger

Once they have your credentials, they can add an external account in about 30 minutes. Before you're aware its happening, your balance is gone and retransferred a half dozen times.

You can't possibly be so stupid as to think that failing to secure your login credentials is anything but a recipe for disaster. How do you feed yourself or wash yourself if your mental capacity is so low. Honest questions.

Wrong bro

Bank verification takes a week and I would get an email immediately

Worst they could do is sell all my shit, change my address to theirs and send themselves a check

Again, takes at least three days with immediate email. Then I could just call and report fraud

Lol, you really are retarded. I did an external transfer to a third-party out of Vanguard last week. It took about 40 minutes, and that was only because I used a wire transfer instead of an ACH.

The verification is publically available information obtained from your credit record. Things that anyone could, if they tried, get their hands on. And if they have your Vanguard credentials why would assume your email is safe?

>a week
>three days
Make up more stuff faggot.

Jesus your dumb.

I really like that of all the advice you can give for investing, it's that you shouldn't buy stocks with your phone. That's your sacred wisdom, as well as the hill you die on.

You continue to yell despite not being able to show a single article either talking about this happening in the past, or explaining how it could happen in the furure.

I even did the research for you and didn't find shit except that there are a ton of mobile apps with the words "dangerous" and "finance" in the title

Well...that's not quite true. I did find one article

m.nasdaq.com/article/mobile-banking-will-you-be-hacked2-cm91424

An article that COMPLETELY CONTRADICTS YOUR ENTIRE THEORY.

The picture quote is the most notable info, but the whole piece is worth a read; it has a lot of good advice on how to keep your data safe. Identifty theft is a massive issue. It's just not caused by investing with your phone.

So there you have it. You can keep calling us all idiots all you like, but there are only three options: That the banks are in cahoots with Nasdaq.com to lie to us about the massive dangers involved in mobile trading, that you're a troll, or that you're really this stupid.

It's not one, I'd like to think it was two...but I think it's apparent that you're just a retard.

Why are you samefagging so hard? That's just pathetic.

I'm actually not.
is me. I forgot about this thread only to be surprised that someone else fought the guy for me.

I'm exclusively buying stocks on my phone from here on out. You can think whatever you want.
I

>I'm exclusively buying stocks on my phone from here on out. You can think whatever you want.
> I

>can't even type on his phone
>does all of his trading on his phone

No wonder you're a poorfag, Don't worry ... no one cares about your shitty little account or ever will.

Eat shit

Lol. Little retard baby upset?