Veeky Forums cities:

Yo Veeky Forums, I'm 18 and ready to get out of the mindless hellscape that is my particular slice of the suburban nightmare. where do I go?

take into account walkability, quality of life, and population density of qt 3.14's

Merci Beaucoups mes amis.

Other urls found in this thread:

holiday-weather.com/vancouver/averages/
youtu.be/Z1Js8wntdk4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

OP here, choices are limited to cities in the US.

Not* limited, sorry

I'm pretty partial to Lyon, any Frenchie Veeky Forumsgs around to talk about it?

Being realistic? What is your income like? What do you like to do for fun? Are you going to go to school? What kind of job are you looking for? What kind of living situation do you want? What climate do you want?

climate-wise, I'm up for anything. also yes I'm a student and will be for a few more years. also, I'm a barista and make simi-decent money for a student I suppose.

also, I'm fine with basically living in a closet.

Honestly: i've developed a heart for amsterdam over the past year and a half. at first i hated it because of the copious amounts of weed smoking tourists, but underneath the city is just so alive. it combines a rich history with being modern as well, has plenty of young people and qt's walking about. it's a globally known and acknowledged city even though it's relatively small.

the only downsides i can think of are the housing prices and the excessive tourism in some parts of the city.

that said the housing prices are absolutely fucking outrageous, i'm talking 600-700 euros a month on average or so for a small appartment without living expenses factored in.

Deep in Brooklyn or Bronx is your best bet

Yeah, Manhattan is a played out corporate cesspool nowadays but New York City is still something special in some parts.

How necessary is learning dutch? I heard English is basically an official language in the Netherlands, or would I just be seen as a lazy Americunt, I'm totally willing to learn though.

Live in Paris, bit expensive but it's awesome

I recommend Berlin if you like techno. Very Veeky Forums city and not too expensive compared to other major cities too

Learning Dutch is not necessary at all. At least not for the big cities. The only places where people exclusively speak Dutch are probably small town in the away from the major cities, and those people also often have a dialect which in some cases even I as native speaker find hard/impossible to comprehend.

Amsterdam especially is pretty much an English-speaking city nowadays.

small towns are comfy. stop buying into media fantasies.

major cities are overrated, crowded, cold(in more ways than one), expensive and everything smells like piss

Reykjavik

French here. Been all around Europe, the only place with more at density than France is Slovenia.
So if Paris is too expensive or too african or too rainy or to unfriendly for you I suggest Ljubljana.

>at
qt*

Another Dutch person here, I've noticed that expats who don't try to actively learn Dutch always stay in their own expat circle all speaking English. If you want to stay here for a longer period of time and meet some Dutch people I recommend actually learning Dutch or at least try to. Also imo you should also look into staying in Utrecht. City center is similairly comfy with lots of students and less tourists (note: LESS). Also, it's in the center of the country so travelling to somewhere in the country shouldn't be a big problem. The other user is right though, I've met quite a lot of people in Amsterdam who work in the city center and don't speak Dutch at all
Also if you're a /pol/retard, Amsterdam is VERY not white.

Best ramen I've ever had was in the Amsterdam red light district

If going to leaf country, Edmonton and Montreal. Toronto is turning into Detroit which is really bad. Vancouver looks too depressing unless you like the Seattle look.
I'm teetering on suggesting Halifax, but finding a job there is near impossible unless you work trade. The area near the universities is pretty nice to live in with walking distance to downtown, parks and the hospital. Apartments are overrated and overpriced, rent a room at a town house for half that price unless you really want to live alone.

Florence , Italy

boston

Most big cities have pockets of culture so as long as you seek it out instead of just sitting in your room online you should find your niche wherever you go. I've traveled around a fair bit with clubs I'm in in uni, personal favorites in the US have been Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, New York and Boston. Personally plan on moving to Seattle when I'm done with education, grew up in Chicago.

I could finally accurately act out my Ezio fanfiction

legit tho it looks beautiful there definitely on my list now.

how do i go from sitting in my room to finding my niche

The beginning is hardest because you really need to be intrinsically motivated, drag yourself to things. Search blogs or Facebook pages for events related to things you're interested in. Just get out of the house doing things you like in groups and TALK TO PEOPLE. Eventually you'll find someone who's your "in", who will invite you along to more specific things you may not have found out about otherwise where you can meet more of those people with shared interests and find out about more things. Pretty quick you've got your network of a hundred or so people to find out about events to. At that point, just be social.

No, because you're gonna have to live in a shithole tenement and you can't afford Manhattan on a barista salary

harlem is affordable on barista salary

>roommate is a barista

One of my favourite cities. Low crime, happy locals (despite political pressures), beautiful residences. The city is surrounded and bordered by a valley that circles the whole city and it makes you feel cuddly in a way, knowing if you walk in any direction for a couple km you'll reach the openness of the Tuscan countryside.

Only negative is the amount of tourists, its like disney land in the mornings.

>not suggesting the best city in Toronto

I don't like it. Something quite cold and not cosy about it. Nice restaurants though.

For my money, Bordeaux, Nîmes, Lille, Six en Provence, Strasbourg are nicer.

I live in Paris. People on Veeky Forums always shit on it for being full of terrorists but I think it's just fine.

Shame there's loads of annoying Amerifat girls studying and roaving boards of Chinese.

Btw, as an English guy I hate it that the only Anglophones I seem to meet are Americans. I guess I should just accept my destiny and join the rest of my countrymen in some chav shithole.

>Pretty quick you've got your network of a hundred or so people

Ok fuck off. Are Americans really friendly or something? I live in France and this sounds impossible.

Seattle is fucking awful.

French cities are shit. But if you really have to live in France and in a city, go to Versailles. If you're too poor, kys

I like big Asian cities. Tokyo, HK, Macau, Singapore, maybe Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur or Seoul. I don't like Chinese cities though.

>Just get out of the house doing things you like in groups and TALK TO PEOPLE.

hehe

Seoul is the exact opposite of Veeky Forums
t. Seoul

I'm totally digging this thread even though I'm not planning on being expat anytime in the immediate future. So I just wanna bump.

Also, thanks Dutch user; I particularly enjoy this post of yours for some reason.

Pic of Amsterdam, though I'm guessing that it's just a particularly well-composed and a well-developed b&w shot that may be kind of deceptive..... Only a guess on my part, but probably Amsterdam isn't as cool as this picture leads one to believe everywhere you go..... But then again, I don't really know, so....

don't listen to those Veeky Forumsgs Lyon is one of the best french cities! Pretty big but not as chaotic as Paris, really green full of parcs and shits, nice rive wheer everybody goes to chill, a lots of student so lots of different things to do, not that cheap but not the most expensive of France! Lot of culture doe...

Lyon is a good choice and I'm from Italy!!!

Of all the cities you like Versailles? Strange choice.

Melbourne

specifically, Brunswick

Detroit.

the corpses on the ground with the cracked syringes on the concrete and the costant sirens in the distance give the city such an effay flair.

>I live in France and this sounds impossible.
it really is, frenchie here, the people in Paris are always in a hurry and just asking for directions pisses them off. Most of the girls are really moody too
Ofcourse not everybody is like this! There are also lots of welcoming ppl

how so?

I run my own business in Halifax and am hiring and I’ll hire you unless you’re a fucking idiot

Hm? Are you saying Toronto is the best city? Cause if you truly believe that, I would bet my life savings you were born and raised there and are uncultured swine

Considering moving to Singapore in a few years to run business.
Are there anyone who lives in Singapore?

I was thinking of it as well. Unfortunately when you look at the climate data you realise you will be wearing shorts and a tee shirt all year long.

Yeah. I know. Kinda sucks. I don't consider myself a socially inept person but meeting and making friends here has been really hard (apart from expats).

Not him, but what's your business?

it's a pretty picture, but it's not too deceptive of amsterdam, the city center has a part called the "grachtengordel" (canal belt i guess? translates kinda shitty) which is basically this picture x 1000 only more busy.

wrong

live here its a cesspool of old money, chinese kids and tasteless rich college kids

You can still get that kind of Amsterdam but at night when all the shops close. At about 2-3 in the morning you barely see people there. Dam Square at night is pretty sick because it's almost always nearly deserted.

This will be an unpopular one, but Vancouver. Despite the truth behind the memes that it can be a bit cold, parts of it are really great. If you live near Commercial or the brewery district, the rent is lower, there's a lot more sense of community, and its a bit more hip/progressive. It's not the most walkable unless you're downtown, but the public transit is really good and almost (but doesn't) make up for it.

>edmonton
>less depressing than vancouver
Don't listen to this guy. Under NO circumstances should you EVER move to Edmonton, the climate is either disgustingly hot and dry, disgustingly cold (talking in the -20/30s), there's no culture, it's ugly, and generally bad.

t. Lived in Edmonton for 6 years

That being said, Montreal is the most Veeky Forums city in Canada by far, and Halifax has a cool, quiet vibe. Also recommending Victoria: it's a biy small by city standards but is very walkable and has lots of culture and history.

>Shame there's loads of annoying Amerifat girls studying and roaving boards of Chinese.

What do you mean?

>Vancouver [...] can be a bit cold
It's a pretty temperate by most standards. Average of like 17C in the summer and 5C in the winter. Unless you come from LA, or don't own a rain jacket it's pretty average.

source: holiday-weather.com/vancouver/averages/

But anyways I agree by and large with your comments about various cities; East Van is the only part of vancouver I would realistically live in.

>Gee I'd love to live in Paree!

Paris will be a hellscape in a decade. The suburbs and countryside will be the only safe places left.
youtu.be/Z1Js8wntdk4

Here's a curve ball
Mexico City
Fantastic food, drink and own unique style.
More galleries and museums than anywhere else in the world with an interesting blend of contemporary and traditional culture everywhere.
Tallinn would be my second pick. Not super fashion driven, conserved quiet people/city. Beautiful and cozy place with traditional architecture in a very unique style with modern hints and flavour popping up, Quick jaunt to the coast outside of Tallinn for max comfy.

The big thing about cities that really is so fascinating is that they tend to feel the most isolating for the millions of people floating along just as lonely as you. You don't have to move to Reykjavik to find peace and quiet through isolation, just go to New York

Sorry, I meant cold as in socially.

Unironically, Chicago, in terms of walk ability and work ability, pretty good; the main problem lies in the south side and the absolutely terrible public transport. (T. super biased Chicago native)

What are the options in Virginia/Maryland/Pennsylvania?

What about a city you dont have bias towards beyond chicago? My only real favorite part about Chi was the diners and that bukoswski aesthetic

Lisbon and Italian cities last ones left

beyond Chicago, I have lived in Riga, Latvia, but that was when I was a child and don't know the accessibility for a non-native, but if just for visiting, its dope. Other than that, I recently spent a month in Kyoto, and that was dope. I don't like big cities so Tokyo seemed like a shit show to me, so I did a home stay program there and it was wonderful, even with my limited experience with the language.

Nowadays most Parisians are niggers, Arabs, and other Muslim cockroaches. You'll feel out of place there if you're white. Most large European cities are like that these days.

Vancouver is nice if you're rich and Chinese.

>Virginia
Richmond.

Such bullshit. The 19th, 20th and 13th arrondissements are noticeably black and East Asian. If you go to the 16th or 17th you find mostly white people or Jews. Saying all the city is all African or Arab sounds like something someone would say If they just decided to hang out in gar du Nord.

Also I should say most of those people don't live in Paris but rather the suburbs (where housing is affordable) They travel to Paris during the day.

Keked

Best option, move the hell out!

San Diego is dope, if you like the Southern California vibe. As cities go, its about as laid-back as they come.

Less shit version of original image

i like the grittiness of new york as well as the weather and architecture.

what's the ideal part to live?
i've been all over new york multiple times as a "tourist" since I live close.

Depends on what your vision of ideal is(plus what your income is)
Mine will forever be UES

>tfw used to live in A'dam for 2 years
>had to move to the middle of nowhere Auckland in NZ because of partner/visa conditions
>will go back there next year only for holidays

Speaking of Veeky Forums cities, how's Melbourne?
Heard a lot of shit about it, but it seems it might be Australia's only city that has some sort of Veeky Forums scene.

Cambridge Massachusetts. Next to Boston. Where Harvard and MIT are.

try AUSTIN

>San Francisco

White girls are all Mac Demarco/Tumblr bullshit
Mexican girls all wear black shirt+tight blue jeans and Stan Smiths without fail
Most black girls wear ugly Nike gaudiness but some wear really original fits and are extremely effay
Japanese girls either borrow from black/mexican girls and look like shit, or wear comfy minimalist stuff and end up being the most effay of all

All males in this city are fucking embarrassing with nearly zero exceptions

Oh and EVERYONE is wearing Converse low-tops. EVERYONE.

Im from LA but have friends in SF

one of the few things that stood out to me is how incredibly unfashionable the entire city is.

It's a 50/50 split between no-effort "alt" Mac Demarco bullshit and 6 figure techies who genuinely couldn't care less about what they wear

I love the city and love the time I spend there but there's no way I could live there permanently it's such a whack culture

This is very true. I visited from flyover an I still feel like the threads were very whack all around. I was riding the train out and I began to realize that very few of the people on the street actually live there outside of a few residential districts so the crappy look feels more endemic of the surrounding area.

Also not him, engineer working in Halifax currently.

Looking to switch from a big company (Irving, Emera, etc.) to a start-up.

What have you got in the works senpai

seconding the df... don't need to speak spanish fluently either

Dublin is great. Sao Paulo and Spanish Valencia as well

if you like classic american concepts and good architecture

Im from new Zealand and Chicago looks to me like the most incredible city on earth

in that case I completely agree. I've met many people who moved there, failed to make friends and eventually left. Even thegroups there barely change, and if they do it's just members drifting between already-connected circles.

unfortunate this thread just devolved into "where do you live" without any real measure of what makes it interesting culturally or fashionable in any way"
Sao Paulo is fantastic, but unfortunately highly unstable

Guelph

Je croyais que Lyon c'était plutôt cool pourtant, mais ça doit dépendre des quartiers comme partout. Personne j'habite à Paris, mais si j'avais le choix, je vivrais à Nantes sans trop hésiter. Cette ville est vraiment top.

chouette

rien qu’en entendant cet accent de tapette francoise j'ai envie de grimacer

Tu habites où à Paris ? Moi, Levallois Perret. C'est riche et très propre mais un peut ennuyeuse.

b e r l i n

Paris is full of niggers and arabs and is generally disgusting. I avoid it like the plague.

how the fuck are steel and glass towers good architecture