My dad keeps buying shitty beater cars for like 2-4K and whenever they break down just putting 200-500 to fix them for...

My dad keeps buying shitty beater cars for like 2-4K and whenever they break down just putting 200-500 to fix them for a couple months enstead of just buying a new one. This has gone on for a couple years now. How do I tell him he is stupid? I've already told him I would buy him a brand new car, and he suggested me to buy a cheap car to save money.

Pic related, similar to what he drives

Buying a new car is just as dumb, unless you have the money to burn. The best option is a less than 6 year old car with less than 70k miles or so

That's like buying $10 boots that last 2 months because it's "cheaper" than the $100 pair that lasts 5 years

This, a new car loses a huge chunk of its value as soon as the tyres hit the tarmac. Anything newer than 10 years will do nicely. Anything over that and you're buying someone else's problem.

>$10 boots break down
>spend $10 to repair them
>youre still up $80

Im not buying a new car until Im retired. Ive literally never owned a car that I wasnt able to pay cash for.

Im not fucking borrowing money to buy something that will never appreciate in value.

Are you retarded? Such a lower-class perception of matters...
>Buy $10 boots
>Break down in 2months
>Pay another $10 to 'repair' (buy another pair).
>Rinse and repeat.
OR
>Pay $100 and they'll last 5 years.

So you have an outlay of $300 on shoes over 5 years ($10*6*5) or $100.

The math speaks for itself.

Had 3 cars in 5 years sold first for same price I paid, sold second for a profit after using it now im on my 3rd i got real cheap. Nothing wrong with old cars they do the trick.

Its a hypothetical retard. There is no proven length of time for a boot to last. Your math is pulled out of your ass.

Im happy saving money with cheaper shit and used cars. Im not going to live nigger rich and be broke later in life.

>This, a new car loses a huge chunk of its value as soon as the tyres hit the tarmac.

Explain how this works because it makes no sense. I bought a new vehicle almost 20 years ago for $20,000 and still have it. Do tell how much I lost and how?

Maybe you are saying that if you buy a new car and sell it five minutes later you will not get as much as you paid but that would just prove you are an idiot who shouldnt buy vehicles. Just like if you buy a vehicle and light it on fire or loan your weed to niggers.

>I bought a new vehicle almost 20 years ago for $20,000 and still have it.
Yes, I'm sure you did user. Obvious troll is obvious, next time don't go for obviously fake round numbers.

If you're really too thick to understand what's being said and thought that a lie would give your post some legitimacy then it can be explained to you if you rephrase your post.

I think it depends on the make of the car as well. A honda or toyota has alot of resale value. A ford, not so much.

sell your car and buy a new one OP

>Almost 20 years
>Round #s

Sure thing kid

THIS. A brand new car has the biggest decrease in value. The second the dealer hands you the key you lost about 30-40%.

gif remotely related.

getting a used quality car is probably the best buy. you save on the purchase, drive it for a couple of years and can still find a stupid fucker such as OP's dad to get rid of it and still get some 2 or 3 k $ for it...

Why would you buy a stock that instantly loses 35% of its value as soon as you buy it? Your dad is smarter than you boy.

Tell me, how much do the lot of you make that you can't afford a $20k car?

>buy 1979 ranger xlt for $1500
>use it like a cheap whore every day
>straight 6 still runs like a six-legged nigger
>not sure i could kill it if i tried
>3-on-the-tree gives women the vapors
>no one my age can even drive it
Stay cucked, carfags.

Does he maybe enjoy fixing them?

Does he watch roadkill or top gear?
Did he have fun cars before kids and wife took all his fucking money?

WHy not buy some shit that WONT break the fuck down. you can buy a honda, maintain the fuck outta it and use it for the next 20 years

OR buy a POS used car, for maybe 6-10 grand
it Shits on you less then 10 years and OH TIME TO SPEND ANOTHER 6-10 GRAND. pretty stupid in my opinion

Just show him the math...

You can get a Honda for $10k that will last you 7 - 9 years.

He probably enjoys working on the cars and the maintenance costs are probably less than you expect. Especially if he goes to the junkyard for parts. Exactly what I do with my truck and I enjoy doing it like a hobby almost. I've learned a lot and feel pretty confident I know exactly how to keep her tick g and that's a good feeling. Also I don't like the newer cars. I hate touch screens they are distracting, I don't need navigation or phone or backup cameras or a car the dings at me all the time.

Just saying before you shit on how your dad's car buying habits try to objectively think, would buying a 10k used car actually save him money? Also, just cuz hea may bitch about "damn car, waterpump went! blah blah blah" doesn't mean he doesn't enjoy being able to repair his vehicle.

I know on my beater truck with 200k miles I spent less than $600 in parts, I've owned it for 5.5 years and it only cost me 2.5 grand. Still doing better than a 10k used vehicle.

>02
Also sorry to spam your thread but I'll make one last point. His car, whatever POS he may be driving right now is likely better for the environment than a brand new Hybrid. Why? Because it's life is being extended. Our economy drives on consumerism, the auto industry needs cars to be 'disposable' so people keep buying. Cuba is still running on the same vehicles we produced in the 50s. Do we need to be strip ming the entire earth to keep up with high demand (relatively, I know demand is down this year) for vehicles? Hell no. Imagine if half the cars on the road today were still vehicles from the 50s. Imagine how much smaller our mines would be and our footprint if everyone had that attitude. The littletter bit of emissions you save from hybrids pales in comparison to the costs of mining the raw elements for those vehicles. The newer cars are not just using base metals, the batteries require elements that are much harder to mine. And don't forget energy in America still largely comes from coal at least in my state. So your clean electricity car is only as clean as the energy coming off your grid. It's not as black and white as proper and a makes it out to be and maybe your dad doesn't give a fuck about Earth but I think rearing things, despite being bad for the economy is a good attitude to have and I wish it was more acceptable in society

His idea is sound, just tell him to take a mechanic friend with him next time he goes looking for cars.

My credit union told me they would finance a 7 year old car with less than 70,000 miles on it. I looked and looked and looked. Ain't no such things these days. So I leased a new Toyota Corolla (plain one) for $1700 down and 169/mo. I can put 24,000 miles on it at 2 year turn in without penalty. By then I will be debt free and can get some other deal.

But, as I was fucked financially ( making $19/hr with irregular hours) and my other car was falling part, my good credit got me into the lease. Leasing fit my purposes perfectly in this case. Your situation may vary.

Just because you haven't sold it, does not mean it hasn't dropped in value.

If you tried to sell that 20k car a week after you bought it, you'd struggle to get 15k for it.

Buying a new car is stupid because they depreciate in value so fast.

It's also stupid because it's a waste of money.

Just let him go Its just a hobby! It feels good to take a shit box and fix it up!

I can see why in some cases. I know a guy who does site to site local logistics (fancy name for "delivery") for McKesson. He always buys $1000-2000 beaters from the local state surplus office. He usually gets 35k miles out of them (about 3 months driving.) He literally goes through 3-4 cars a year. Assuming $2k/car, 35k miles before it croaks, $0.057/mile. In comparison, a Honda for $20k would be nice and do it for him. Assuming you get 200k miles out of it, it comes out to about $0.10/mile. Even if it hits 250k miles (not likely in local stop and go delivery vehicle,) it's still $0.08/mile. Of course that's very simplified, excludes maintenance costs (which are next to minimal for the old ones, as he doesn't give two shits if they last,) and other items, but that's one reason buying cheap and old is a plus.

Buying new has its positives too. Less likely for critical component failures, warranties are always nice, plus creature comforts, but based on his suggestion, he's more interested in saving money than a comfortable ride.

>If you tried to sell that 20k car a week after you bought it, you'd struggle to get 15k for it.

>Buying a new car is stupid because they depreciate in value so fast.

Only because you are a retard who buys a car drives it off the lot and then sells it.

>Waste of money

Maybe you don't have $1000 a year to spend on a paying for a vehicle but I'm sure you spend more than that on your iFag and anime figurines . Try getting a skill faggot

Only buy a used car with a stack of preventative maintanence paperwork done.

They're just talking about unrealized losses. If you buy a car new and end up in a situation where you have to sell it quickly, you lose a lot of money because the depreciation curve is steeper in the first year than the rest. Of course, this doesn't apply to cars you can keep for a significant amount of time (>5,6 years ish).

>when called out on true price the new car fags resort to telling others to just make more money
Typical deflecting shitposters
They make it so easy to discredit their own side

>What, you don't waste your money?
>lol poorfag, I can waste tons of money!
Confirmed for twelve year old troll. Pretending you're over thirty only works if you don't type like a child.

> Cars are a waste of money because I have no money

ARE YOU A PHILISOPHIZER?

Buy the cheapest car you can find.
Save money by not maintaining it.
Save on not needing comprehensive insurance.
Run it into the ground.
Keep a screwdriver & razor blade in the glove box.
When it dies, take the plates off and scrape the sticker off the windshield.
Walk away.

this is basically what i do.. your dad kinda has a point

Depends on what car you buy.. Most cars go for 500k miles without needing any major repairs, just the usual fluids.. still plenty of years left on a 200k miles car if maintained properly

>How to stay poor 101

The applied hypothetical to cars is the same result you pantsonheadretarded mongoloid.

You're the one who provided the length of time for a boot to last. Not me. I just ran with the example to explain the concept to (what I assume must be) a legal retard.

It isn't about living rich, it is about managing your money effectively and not being a jew in the short term but, by doing so, negatively impacting yourself in the longterm.