What kind of NASA bomber jacket?

First of all, is Alpha industries any good? Secondly, I'm having a hard time deciding what kind of bomber jacket to choose.

There's 2 types and 2 styles:

-MA-1s are a bit warmer and are the official copy of NASA flight jackets
-L-2Bs are a lightweight version for warmer temperatures

2 styles:

-One with a clean back
-One with a giant Apollo program patch (will post pics). I am afraid that this one looks too cringe worthy to wear it in public

Lastly, there are 4 main colors being black, replica blue (navy), white and silver. Which one would be better? What color to wear depending on the activity? I am leaning towards silver (reminds me of space suits) and navy blue

alphaindustries.com/nasa-collection/nasa-collection.htm

for you the third one

And this is the model with the huge Apollo missions insignias

Bump. I'd like an opinion. I really can't choose between the silver and navy blue one

Do you work for NASA?

No...but I am very interested in the company and its legacy. Is it too obnoxious?

I think I'll take one without the big ass Apollo program logo in the back. Just some insignias on the front should be enough

I'd choose the navy one. You've piqued my interest, i might get one for myself.

Get a plain bomber jacket and put some space-related patch on it. Don't walk around with a straight up NASA patch if you don't work for NASA-- at the very least, you'll just get a bunch of people asking if you work for NASA, and they'll probably be slightly let down when you tell them "no I just like NASA".

wait for black friday for 30% off

alright summer's over lads you can leave now

Have one, it's corny as fuck. Don't.

you're going to look like a complete tool wearing something with a company name that you're not genuinely associated with

With the same line of thought, does buying a Metallica shirt makes you part of the band? Or people with a Harvard hoodie? Same as any brand, it's just to show your appreciation or interest. Why is a NASA flight jacket in the same category. Just curious.

Also, thoughts on Alpha industries? Good jacket brands?

bump

I have the slim fit M-1a, it’s well made and pretty warm.

>Band tshirts are equal to uni hoodiea
>Americans wear uni hoodies without attending said uni.
>fan of uni
>uni as a brand

Absolutely disgusting.

This

You get my point, people wear these clothes either because they like (music, artist, brand) or support. So I guess you shouldn't buy apparel from NASA because you aren't one of them?

Why the fuck can you buy NASA branded clothing? NASA or uni branded clothing isn't same as band/artist tshirts you faggot. Nobody in the band wears tshirts with their own brand on it. Wearing NASA themed clothing heavily implies being either their member or being dirty soyboy roleplayer, as NASA is organization with actual dressing code. Wearing NASA clothes is like wearing policeman uniform.

But then what is acceptable to wear? Anything that is not an uniform? Racing jackets are cool but I can't wear them?

>Wearing NASA clothes is like wearing policeman uniform.

Because NASA is a very realistic company to work for, so people will automatically assume you work for them, and will cringe slightly when you say 'no'. Nobody will assume you're a member for Metallica when you wear a band shirt. Harvard is also cringe if you wear it past the age of 16 and do not actually go to/are competitive for Harvard. Bonus cringe if you wear it while staying at the dorms of your mediocre uni.

Basically, the argument against NASA and Harvard gear is that a lot of people do actually work there and go to school there, so you seem like a poser by wearing their gear. The only times you can get away with this are when you're

this. a nasa hoodie is cute on a teenager, but depressing on a hypebeast adult

>>>/reddit/

Some people got dropped on their heads as infants and turn out kindof weird. You must've been thrown into a wall.

If you don't know how to make your outfit scream "NASA, BITCH" without a single patch or branding, you need to go back and study your semiotic references.

>wearing Metallica shirt
>guy asks if I'm in Metallica
>reply 'YEAAHAH'

What about without the patches?

fucking NASA is the stupidest trend. just get a plain bomber.

It looks great, I just felt the patches add something more but I could live with that. Is Alpha Industries a good brand? Average? Below or higher?

Also, I still can't make up my mind. The silver one in your pic or blue navy. What kind of occasions each color would best be suited for?

If you wear any uni-clothing from any school that isn't your school, you are an unicuck

Is wearing boots and jeans also just like dressing like a policeman?

Not sure, but they really were created by a dude who used to make jackets for NASA. Never bought from them though.

>wearing a hoodie from a university you don’t attend and have never attended

This is top cringe, don’t do this. Same goes for the NASA jackets if you don’t actually work there. Super cool if you have worked there on some projects and keep a work jacket with patches on from projects you have worked on, but cringey if you just buy it whilst having nothing to do with it.

That having been said I hope NASA actually makes some money from the merch, that way something good would actually come out of all of this tryhard poser shit

This is fucking terrible. Do not buy any of these, ever.
It should be clear to all of you that you shouldn't buy shitty clothes just because they have a pretty logo on them.

Wearing the logo of your local police is.

Fucking christ you autists, nobody is going to think you work for NASA if you wear a jacket with a NASA patch on it. They sell t-shirts with that logo on them in Target for chrissakes. There are thousands of girls on college campuses wearing clothes like that and their qualifications mainly consist of following "I fucking love science" on Facebook. It's practically a trend. Which is something you'd know if you ever talked to normal people.

I have several relatives who actually do work for NASA. Do you actually think any of them wear Apollo bomber jackets on their days off? Of course not. They don't wear baseball caps with the NASA logo either. People who shop in the NASA gift shop do, though.

I agree

That was so cringy to read.

Let's face it, NASA is a brand with profile in pop culture, as of now. It's piqued people's interest as of late because they look back to the technological leaps of programs like apollo - things that gave us in fashion access to shit like Zippers (mercury technically) and velcro and Nomex fabric. Would I wear one? No. If I hadda have a patch I'd go for the 1970's SKYLAB patch on grey or silver, the GIBSON mission. It's mostly light blue and fits with the undertones of the garment.

If you're insane about this shit go get a buzz rickson repro. Or aim for the made in america shit that's either a repro and slightly distressed or the actual current pilot's issue. These are more expensive, but there's that whole not looking like a punk thing to consider.

And finally, if you scan Ebay long enough you'll find a Nomex piece for shit money, and them shits are amazing. They're slightly iridescent and green and the fabric feels tough as hell. They also come in silver. You'll be buying vintage, most likely.

Holy shit they look insane! Do you consider it to be very high quality or not worth it? Always wanted a WW2 leather jacket (but without any kind of patch).

Why specifically the Skylab/Gibson patch

>the company
don't wear nasa stuff

What looks insane?

I like Alpha Industries. I've bought two parkas from them and a bomber jacket.

Parkas and bomber were warm and fit the temps they suggest.

Their clothes are made for monkeys though -- they're built pretty tough but the arms are always super long??????? Just check measurements I guess.

this thread is so 2007

I swear some of the most retarded people post on Veeky Forums.
First off no one is going to "assume you work for NASA" you fucking dumbass.
NASA is a civilian agency within the US Gov't, no one is going to think some shit like "oh he must work for them" If he has a jacket with one or two patches.
It's like saying someone works for the gov't because they have a flag on their shirt, or that anyone who wears camo is in the military.
Also NASA's status as a cultural icon surpasses any perception of the agency, no one's gonna think twice about a few stupid patches, just wear whatever works.

>First off no one is going to "assume you work for NASA" you fucking dumbass. NASA is a civilian agency within the US Gov't, no one is going to think some shit like "oh he must work for them" If he has a jacket with one or two patches.

Why not? Plenty of people do work there after all. The reason people might not think that someone worls there has more to do with the fact that nowadays people wear shirts and jackets with all kinds of shit printed on them that they have absolutely nothing to do with

>It's like saying someone works for the gov't because they have a flag on their shirt, or that anyone who wears camo is in the military.

No, it’s like saying someone who is wearing a military uniform is probably in the military, or someone wearing a college sweater probably attends that college. Sure, other people can also wear it, but that would be stupid. Camo oants are common due to military surplus, and flag patches are just a way of showing patriotism

>Also NASA's status as a cultural icon surpasses any perception of the agency, no one's gonna think twice about a few stupid patches, just wear whatever works.

Yeah, that’s why having a jacket from working there is cool, but just buying one when you’ve got nothing to do with NASA still makes you a poser

this soooo much
also its too on the nose if you're going /MOONCORE/

Alpha industries is good if you want to get authentic military inspired stuff since, as their bio claims, they have been making jackets for the US military for a long time.

Nobody who works at NASA wears NASA flight jackets during their time off. It's not part of their work uniform and not at all comparable to a full military uniform.

It literally is just like wearing a milsurp jacket and it will be taken as such by anyone who's not a fucking autist.

this is grade A finest imported autism.

im fucking done

I’m pretty sure a good number of NASA jackets have been worn during peoples free time, and that’s how that started. As a matter of facts this is how a lot of fashion trends start, with people wearing their military or sports clothing in their private lifes to get some extra wear out of it.

It’s not really like just wearing a military surplus jacket, more like wearing a milsurpjackets and attaching rank insignia, a name patch and other shit to it to make it look like it’s not actually milsurp

Well look at where you are

damn does this look good (especially after ripping off that remove before flight thing)

what are some other Veeky Forums approved bomber jacket colors? obviously black and navy, but what else?

if you think that you would get these jackets from working at NASA, you have another thing coming. Its still a govt agency, you'd be fucked to even get a hat. Literally no one should expect you to work for NASA wearing this jacket

I have 3 different AI jackets.
One is about 5 years old and still like brand new.

I think their big holiday sale starts this coming Monday.

Whether people get them anymore or not is besides the point (although I’m sure some do, or buy them and get the patches or whatever) but obviously people used to wear these jackets, or the fashion wouldn’t have come about in the first place

Yeah people know that the NASA logo is now a fashion thing, but if it wasn’t it would definitely suggest an affiliation to NASA. I mean do you also put some “Chicage Fire Department” patches on your jackets or maybe some “xyz Flight Instructor” patches? It’s pretty childish to larp as something you’re not

>holiday sale starts Monday
Fuck, I just bought a jacket and it arrives Monday. I guess I'll buy a second jacket if I really like the quality and fit of my first.

(not OP) I agree with you when it comes to wearing university clothing from a school you didn't go to. I think NASA merch is closer to a band tee than a uni hoodie however. The moon landings and all the shuttle launches were essentially a media event put on for the benefit of the American public, I think you could easily argue that NASA is a group with 'fans' who have every right to wear the merch without being a poser.

i have an alpha industries nasa jacket in black , quality is good and durable

>company name
NASA is a government agency you braindead chimp

>NASA is organization with actual dressing code
TIL having a workplace dress code is the same as having a uniform

MA1 easy.

that's really gay OP. you're going to look like a fag. get a national public radio one instead.

Pic related only NASA apparel that should be worn.

Hi OP, I have top left w. apollo logo patch on the back. I wear it almost every day, and only get compliments on it

I also work at spacex so fuck you for appropriating my industry

I just happened to buy an Alpha Industries N-3B Parka since their sale started today. Have only heard great things about them and got 50% off.

Looking forward to it arriving soon

>I’m pretty sure a good number of NASA jackets have been worn during peoples free time, and that’s how that started.
Nah, dude. I know several people (including one immediate family member) who work for NASA. That's not a boast, I certainly don't fucking work for NASA, but believe me when I say that nobody wears shit like this during their off hours. As the guy above said, it's a gov't agency, the only things I've ever seen any of them bring home from their workplace were a couple of crappy posters with satellites on them.

Corporate culture at NASA is very formal. Think of programmers and engineers and bureaucrats, not pilots (and moreover the sorts of programmers who work for companies like IBM and Microsoft, not hacker startup programmers). NASA employees do not wear NASA flight jackets.

Seriously, what's your point? "If the NASA logo wasn't a recognized fashion trend, wearing clothes with the NASA logo would be really strange." Yeah - no shit. But it IS an established trend, so it's not going to seem larpy at all.

That's hot.

+10