How long can you pay an employee under the table for?

How long can you pay an employee under the table for?

> I recently hired someone and setting up the payroll and all that shit has turned out to be a major pain in the ass. Plus I think the guy is gonna last like 6 months tops. And I'd rather just avoid the taxes and avoid the potential unemployment claim. Is there any risk to just paying this guy cash for 6 months?

Google loves to give you page after page of scare tactics, "OMG don't do it, the IRS will crush your balls in a vice!"

NO DUDE DONT DO IT, THE GOV, THE NSA, THE FBI, THE EUROPOL AND INTERPOL, AND THE IRS... OH HOLY LORD, SAVE US FROM THE IRS, THEY ARE OMNIPOTENT, THEY ARE EVERYWHERE, THEY ARE THE ALL SEEING EYE, THEY WILL HUNT YOU DOWN SOONER THAN YOU THINK, OH PLEASE LORD SAVE US ALL FROM THE IRS.

ps. pay that guy under the table, no body is going to hear about shit, if everybody keep their mouth shut.

Nah just say something like you weren't sure if he was a permanent employee if anyone asks

If you're afraid of him claiming unemployment it's retarded to hire him off the books. What if he goes in to make that claim then they have some trouble figuring it out so he explains to them he was paid off the books for six months?

Can't you hire the guy as an independent contractor where he's responsible for FICA taxes and providing his own benefits?

Yes, but the guy won't do that, obviously.

I have been working under the table for a guy for almost a year I make about 5K a month we have no issues. Just make sure the guy is cool with it and understands and its not going to fuck you

I thought about it, but he really does not fit the 1099 category. He's a legit employee.

Here's the other issue. It's a 2 part problem:

The guy has been pretty mediocre from day one. He shows up and does help some, and he tries, but he def is not a fit. He's not the guy. But I need help for a little bit, bad or good, is better than no help, my small business is swamped right now.

So I'll be suprised if he still has a job with me in 6 weeks. I'm planning on firing him soon, barring a significant turn around in job performance. Then finding someone else.
He's been an employee for a month, I need him for a while longer before replacing him, so it seems silly to make him official. So it will likely be 3 months of work he'd be getting paid under the table.

unless you hire people who need to work and get money to feed their senpaitachi you are going to be dealing with dumbass 20 year olds with teen mindsets that are there to clock in, get paid, chill on their phone and leave.

IDK if people with senpaitachi are gonna work for me.

> Pay is $14/hr

>and its not going to fuck you
Until you lay him off and files for UI

Great plan nigger

I feel ya. Can't afford 24+ for a journeyman. Tired of 20-28 year-olds with no senpai doing the bear minimum.

Yeah I'm torn.

I don't blame a guy for not giving a fuck at the pay rate I'm paying.

I'm torn about all of it really...

On one hand: Work alone, not much stress, and make $60k - $70k year after year

On the other hand: Take on the employee struggle, build, accept the stress of it all, and quite possibly build a company that earns a small fortune.

Really depends on what industry you're in. If it's landscaping for example, nobody will give a fuck. But if you're an accountant or an office job, people might throw a fit over it

I'll work for you. I'm hard working. Hire me.

It's manual labor. Some fucking blue collar shit.

Where you live?

The UK.

>employee making $14/hr
>shows up, does his job
>employer wonders why he isn't putting in his heart and soul into the job
kek, what did you expect for 14 an hour?

lose a few pounds then buddy.

this is now a tax evasion thread

how can i take money out of my company without paying tax?

I personally am the opposite and would love working for cash because I am collecting EI as it is. Working for cash means I'm not claiming it and thus it isnt deducted from my EI payments

Add extra "expenses" that don't actually exist and just pocket the cost of those "expenses"
my buddy works for a company and has his own farming business on the side that generated a "loss" of 9 grand so when income tax time came around he received a cheque for 9 grand lel

this

I didn't expect him to care as much as me, but he makes mistakes every single day, and gets tired easily. Most days never exceed 8hrs, and we take a 30 - 45 min lunch break every day.

I think what I'm asking is reasonable.

Yeah along what this guy said:

How should I write up this employee's wages come tax time?

You can do it legally up to like $600, I don't remember what you have to categorize it as, but it's great for doing one week trial periods when you're trying to find someone who's a good fit

As mentioned earlier in this thread, $14/hour is not going to get you an enthusiastic, motivated employee simply because this does not seem like a long term gig for them. And if they are paid under the table, there is no reason for the employee to think this is and commit.

That he is getting tired can be a result of your management technique/ conditions of work. If it is a physical job (you mention days are variable, you take lunches together), his morale may be slipping. If he gets yelled at for his mistakes, it slips more.

To get back to the original post, it sounds like this is the type of situation where if you were to nicely fire the guy after a while, he would just shrug his shoulders and move on, so you can pay him under the table without fear.