What do you guys say when the topic of Investing, money, general finance comes up with family/friends/etc?

What do you guys say when the topic of Investing, money, general finance comes up with family/friends/etc?

Do you actually discuss it? Personally I just play dumb and say things like "Yeah I've heard of that... don't know too much though..." just to probe their knowledge and to see if I should ignore anything they ever say.

Your friends most think you are retarded if you say you dont know anything about general finance, money and investing. You can be certain that they discard everything you say famelam.

It all depends on who im talking with. Im pretty honest with my family but ill talk down how much money i have with friends since i dont want to make them jelly. GF dosnt know that much either but since we been together for years she is picking up some bones

Well I mean I discuss personal finance obviously but I don't go into things like my networth or what I'm holding and such.

It just isnt worth it. Maybe everyone I know is a shithead but they wouldn't understand anything.

I've tried before and when it got down to it I said something like "Yeah well you can expect about 8% returns per year on average so it's not really excessive..." and they looked at me like I had shit falling out of my face.

The furthest ANYONE I know has gotten into "investing" and"finance" is MLM, bank mutual funds and some other retarded shit

Also even mentioning networth is enough to get them into a frenzy.

>You have HOW much user??!! Why are you driving that piece of shit? As soon as I get my paychecks I spend them all!

>ill talk down how much money i have with friends since i dont want to make them jelly
But it's been established that you're a major poorfag. You must have some truly pathetic friends.

>I've tried before and when it got down to it I said something like "Yeah well you can expect about 8% returns per year on average so it's not really excessive..." and they looked at me like I had shit falling out of my face.

Jep. told somebody once that 8% was the average return of some stuck and then he dident believe since he heard it was negative this year.. gee

Ye always keep networth for yourself
My friends are purely imagination so i made them pretty cool

My mother is white trash. Her "retirement plan" is to declare bankruptcy and live off her social security checks

My friends dont invest. They are the 30 somethings that drive brand new 90,000 dollar cars, wear 2,000 worth of clothes to a bar on Friday, and run 1-3,000 dollar bar tabs on a weekend... Basically "I have everything I want right now, ill worry about next week when it comes"

Yeah networth is best to keep to yourself - regardless of talking to a rich or poor person.

it just makes it all very shaky.

As the saying goes, people want you to do good until you do better than them. They want you to be wealthy, until you're wealthier than them. People want you to look good, but NOT better than them. -- That's when they become your enemy.

bump

I don't.
For exemple : my brother.
Lately we argued. I called him a retard cause he put 2K in beonpush.

if any of them arnt successful or showing signs that they legitimately are working to be. then id say you are doing just right user

I've tried explaining finance-related shit to family members or friends before, it's like in one ear and out the other. I don't bother anymore

>As soon as I get my paychecks I spend them all!
America: The story

>What do you guys say when the topic of Investing, money, general finance comes up with family/friends/etc?
If a friend or family mentions something interesting we talk about it.
If my brother talks about how he's come up with an awesome payment plan to help with his electric bill / credit card / any expense my eyes glaze over and I think about drinking beer.

Thats where im at, I use to try but not any more. they like to pretend they are interested in goals and dreams but theyve spent years in the same spot and dont legitimately put some good effort into it. Better off cutting them out your life and just grinding for yours imo

My dads an entrepreneur, has hold 4 CEO positions in his life and is a hectomillionaire so I'd be fucking retarded not to soak up as much knowledge as I can. Also my sister works in IB so the three of us will regularly discuss finance quite heavily, although my mother and other sister aren't that interested lol.

My dad keeps complaining about people he knows who "got lucky" while he has been "working hard all his life for nothing with no breaks".

He's done this for years, it's just getting tiring now. "Yeah yeah dad, shit sucks... yeah..."

I feel your pain, sad to see them so bitter. My dad got a computer degree before the boom and never did anything with it. Just complains about exwifes fucking him over and not going pro in sports. But hes been addicted to meth for a long time now so what can I expect from him. Makes you feel alone but oh man is it some determination to do something with my life.

>Makes you feel alone but oh man is it some determination to do something with my life.

Yeah true.

Just makes me limit talking with my parents because everytime it devolves into a depressing conversation about how the whole world against us and if you're not born a millionaire you'll never get rich or some shit.

Seriously thats where ive been for a minute, im currently waiting for the "user why are you never talking to us or around us" topic to be brought up

I don't believe you. Unless you're one of those two rich kids who went on shark tank to sell a smelly wipe for your clothes, with a "small" investment of $2 million from your dad who happened to start gamestop.

Sometimes I wonder why I talk to them at all anymore, they don't really offer me anything. it's a waste of my time but a moral obligation, I suppose.

>moral obligation
I understand where you coming from, sucks when you got more heart than them. You feel bad for them for what they are doing to theirself/you But i ask myself wouldnt them providing/guiding you and encouraging a future for you also fall under that category? So I just tell myself you get out what you put in and i dont feel too bad about it. If they wanted a legitimate relationship with me i shouldnt have to carry the weight of always trying to converse.

Honestly im at the point where im focused on getting so much Veeky Forums going on that im too busy to even have time to converse with them and im just trying to secure a good future. No ill feelings towards them but id be pretty depressed if i was in their shoes in twenty years

I used to preach to people about investing, but I've long since given up. Most people have no interest or concept of it; at best, they'll get a "high-interest" savings account.

Hang in there anons

I'm the same way, I just come from a shitty family with members ranging from underachievers and just plain losers.

I have always looked at them and thought of how pathetic they are. I have always thought that I wanted a better future for myself, ever since I was a kid.

Don't let them hold you back, I know I'm not. I was the first person in my family to attend a real university. I'm the middle child, but all of us are full-grown "adults" now and so far I'm the only one who lives alone. I'm the only one who hasn't had to move back in with my parents.

I worked for everything I had, I even got a nice car without having to beg a distant relative to be my cosigner because my immediate relatives all have shit credit. My brother had to beg my grandma's aunt to be his cosigner, though. My sister? Well, she got a shitty handmedown from my parents that she didn't even take care of and it basically fell apart.

The reason I'm saying this is don't give up just because of family and don't let them hold you back. I'm working hard to save, invest, and build a future for myself. I won't settle for mediocrity, and neither should any of you.

Have fun though too user

don't forget to have fun