Androgenic Alopecia

Male Pattern Baldness is caused wholly by genetics.
Nothing you did in the past or are currently doing caused this to begin occurring.
Smelling like vinegar will not make people find you attractive.
Exfoliating your scalp will not clear it up to "allow new hair to grow".
Lack of sunlight, while it can result in vitamin D deficiency if you're not getting it from another source, will not cause you to develop MPB.
It is wholly genetic.
There are two current ways of staving of MPB. One is minoxidil, which is a vasolidator which probably works by accelerating the growth of hair follicles. It has to be applied topically everyday for the rest of your life in order to work.
The second is Propecia, which is an inhibitor which blocks the conversion of testosterone into DHT (the hormone which causes hair miniaturisation). It is also important for other processes, and is known to lead to ED, and perhaps predominantly male forms of cancer.

Alternatively, you can accept a new style and get on with your life. Shave your head to the bone, it'll look better anyway. You'll also be much happier and more confident.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oLyi3hN5eWU
forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158889153
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I ain't giving up.

What exactly do you plan on doing?

youtube.com/watch?v=oLyi3hN5eWU

>Male Pattern Baldness is caused wholly by genetics.
ray peat says it's caused by hormones like stress, DHT and you say "androgenic" in the title - it has to do with puberty hormones (testosterone)

that said, i think masculine males (most males) can pull off balding, but 'cute boys' (bieber, the lead singer of Years and Years) less so

>(i really think pic rel looks good)
a buzzcut will make you look masculine/worse, if you're worried about balding it's because you're don't want to look masculine, long hair is youthful and feminine.

Stress doesn't cause MPB. It MIGHT cause temporary hair-loss, but not in the typical pattern of MPB.
DHT (an unbound form of testosterone) is indeed what causes androgenic alopecia. Do you know what these words mean? I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with me on.

and i just read the rest of your OP post, oops

still, distress over balding is natural but i assure you girls don't care as much as you

I should clarify what I mean by "caused by genetics".
Hairs that are sensitive to DHT on your scalp are the ones that will go through the miniaturisation process. Whether or not your hairs will (and which hairs) is genetically determined.

I totally agree.
I made this post to try and free people of the stress of balding and get them to accept it.

Yep. Shit‘s fucked.
I’ve had long hair all my life and now I’m diffuse balding on top and around the whole crown area. I’m 23.
I’m on minox for about a month now, results so far are good. Hair is getting stronger and that little bald spot on top isn’t visible at all if my hair is cared for. I still have pretty good hair overall.
If I notice it getting worse within the next few years, I’ll hop on fin. If minox buys me time until I hit my 30s I’ll just buzz it and let it go, although I look shit with short hair.

Do you have pictures?
Most people's hair thins out at some point from their teens to 30's as a part of their maturation without actual baldness, and a lot of people who happen to see the hair parting around their crown freak out thinking they're losing all their hair, while it's not even noticeable to others.

Here are some pics I just took but they’re shit. Can’t take good ones now.
Balding area is circled, face in direction of arrow

If i part it at the crown

Do you have a history of it in your family? And at what age?
Don't think that's necessarily balding. Just think it stands out some more because of your dark hair.

bald stupid face guy with hot girl

Kind of. My father always had that exact same spot, at least according to my mom. But he still had hair at about 45. Not the greatest hair, but def. not bald/horseshoe-ish. Just average recession around that age and that little bald spot around the top.
My grandpa (mother’s side) had a widows peak from his youth onwards, but it was never that bad and his crown was pretty much unaffected. He had hair up into his 60s. All my uncles on my moms side also have good hair.

>not making enough money for a transplant in later life
Cmon

shes literally fucking disgusting

>fucking disgusting
The fuck you on B?
She isn’t model-tier but I think she’s pretty cute

If he always had "that spot" then it's like 100% from his matured hair. Not balding.
I assure you no one notices it. You can see it well because you're self-conscious of it, you have a particular parting, taking specific pictures of it, etc.
Here's the back and top of my head from about 2013 (at a club). If I'd shown this to certain people on the internet they probably would have told me I was balding. 4 years later and my hair is the exact same.

Also my father has the same crown as me.
He's 60 now with typical receded male hair, but no immediately obvious crown thinning, despite him having a similar crown to me.
The only living older male relative on my mum's side is my uncle who has a full head of undyed black hair into his 60's, but I didn't inherit that in any form so not relevant I don't think.

Thanks dude.
I first noticed it about 3 years ago but I can’t tell if it’s really gotten worse or just matured. My hair overall has definitely thinned out a bit.
I’ve gotten mad as fuck about it lately and felt itching around that area and on my hairline, which a lot of people say is part of MPB. As soon as I stopped worrying about it so much, the itch went away though.
I went to a derm. He just looked at it for like a second and then said „yeah you had more hair there once“ and wrote me a prescription for minox. That’s all he did.
I’ll stay on the minox though, I think it’s helping me a lot in terms of getting thicker hair again.

One thing you can do is check to see if the density around your crown is similar to the rest of the top of your head (hair on the back of your head will almost certainly be thicker). Pretty easy to do if you pull hair to part at a different area. Could even ask someone else to do it for you.
If it is then like I said it's probably just typical thinning from maturation.
Your derm wasn't lying, but probably causing undue alarm. That said, I'm not a doctor/expert or anything so it's better to get a second, more thorough opinion from one of them.
Although, one thing I can say that if he looked at it for a second there's no way he could've checked for miniaturisation in that area, which is the process via which balding takes place.

Oh yeah, and that "itching" from MPB is garbage. It's the same kind of paranoid wives-tale people who try to say that baldness is caused by DHT crystals on the scalp sew. You probably felt it itching because you were thinking about it like you said.

honestly i could deal with the receding hairline but the obvious thinning that happened out of nowhere is without a doubt the worst.

Am I balding?

If it doesn't follow the typical pattern it's not permanent balding, and it won't become worse with time.

That bald spot is probably genetic or caused by malnutrition/stress, you don't have to worry about anything user

Thank you I was so worried about it too. I guess I have been stressed lately maybe I should sleep more.

>hot girl

I definitely agree it's all genetics. I always look at celebrities who seemingly have the infinite resources to combat hair loss but still lose out - look at lebron and prince harry. The biggest reality check when I said fuck it was doing community service by helping the homeless - they all had fucking hair. Then I started to notice that homeless people had better hair than me around the city, which made the dropped the idea of minox/fin whatever.

but everyone here isnt balding, they just have one thin-ish spot that occurs in a lot of males where the hair parting originates

i always like posting in these threads. pic related: i'm balding.

just find a hobby that doubles as exercising. rock climbing is pretty effay and a great way to meet people + build confidence.

Not everyone has a nicely shaped head like you. You're essentially giving the "just be yourself" advice meme.

I do. I am everyone, as well. So check and mate.

Comedy gold coming through
>Balding at 18

>rock climbing
*tips fedora*

This.

lmao. kys faggot

You're not balding. You have a pretty healthy looking mature hairline.

dang ol' jude man, once called the sexiest man alive, when he had a full head of hair.

isn't that just a negro version of a toupee?

doesnt look bad except for the line across is forehead is a dead gieaway

fucking ebmarrassing post

>Hot

Get the fuck outta here you stupid cunt you're not balding there's 18 year olds in here who are actually balding go fuck yourself jesus

Same guy as in pic. What’s going on with my hair?

Or get a transplant. The new shit is amazing. Look at Daniel Tosh or Lebron James or Jeremy Piven or any other celebrity that was balding and now has amazing hair. The new technique is pretty interesting, go google it.

that girl is literally in no way bad looking, her expression is just dumb. relax fellas, you don't have to prove yourself

How is rock climbing even remotely fedora tier?

I'd rather have hair and ED than be bald with a working dick.

hair transplants suck idiot

I'm hopping on fin soon. I can't be dealing with baldness as a sissy 6'2 lanklet at 22 years old.

You can dose .25mg every other day to save on money the effectiveness of the drug is almost the same.

The side effects are overblown and placebo for the most part. If you have healthy doses of testosterone your shit should work fine.

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158889153

This is a great write up for treatments.

This is Veeky Forums. Anything remotely physical is fedora tier.

My hair looks a bit like pic related along with some thinning above the temples (with an otherwise intact NW2, which I think would be my natural mature hairline without balding).

Should fin fill those areas back in? I'd be relatively happy if it stays as is but a stronger hairline and crown would be very liberating.

Most people tell me I'm not balding, but I'm 90% sure I am, I'm seeing a dermatologist in the next week or two. My plan is to hop on fin and maybe minox. I'm already using niz for dandruff.

Also, I suggest everyone here look into RCH-01. It's pretty far along in clinical trials and it's expected to come out in Japan in the next year or two. It only regrows a little bit of hair, but it's basically a one off stem cell procedure that makes existing follicles immune to DHT. You can maintain what you have for the rest of your life without fin.

My best case scenario, I guess, is getting on fin with minimal sides and regrowing my thin spots for a few years and then getting RCH-01 and then being done worrying about my hair for good.

Elon Musk is a good example, too. Still, try to get on fin if you're balding early and worried about it. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

The whole ED thing is overstated. I think it's more common to have reduced facial hair growth, which is a win-win for me. I wouldn't have to shave as much AND I get to keep my hair. I'd let my beard go bald if it saved my head hair.

Start with fin and Nizoral and give it two years until you consider min. Fin alone should fill it in nicely, but it probably won't regrow your hairline (best you can usually hope for is maintenance) although it couldn't thicken it up.

*could

Yeah, I'm fine with my NW2ish hairline. It's the thinning that worries me.

Everyone on my dad's side is NW2ish as well, they've held that since their teens with some thinning on top starting in their 40s.

Pic related is me from a little over a month ago. It hasn't really gotten much thinner since then and my hairline has been that high for a few years (just turned 23).

That hairstyle is pretty shit without any balding, but you can see the thinning above the temples there. I'm hoping that gets thick again along with my mid-scalp.

Honestly the left looks better, Bruce Willis core.

Depending on how much is left, just buzzing it short (but not down to a zero) is a good option.

I'd say plan A is treating it (fin and niz, maybe minox), plan B is shaving it, and plan C is a system.

left looks better, honestly.

Pls respond

I don't think you're thinning at all. See a dermatologist if you're that concerned.

Mfw this crown at 26. Hairline is stil okay, but fucking thin/weak hair at the crown area. Tried fin for 6 months, totally repaired hair, but destroyed dick. Luckily after 4 months after quitting dick got normal, and couple months later hair as well.

You seem to have a good head shape for the shaved look. How old were you when you started balding?

Limpdick was likely placebo according to Although I guess it's admirable you'd rather keep your dick than hair.

WHERE THE FUCK CAN I GET THIS EARRING

>and is known to lead to ED
Despite being tested for over 3 decades they havent actually demonstrated that. A lot of that myth comes from the fact some of the early tests involved men in their mid to late 60s who suffer from it naturally.

>perhaps predominantly male forms of cancer.
Do you have a source for that?

OP here. Actually learning a lot more about finasteride right now, so forgive my misinformation.
However, my point about having to religiously take it for the rest of your life still stands.

A lot of guys just take it for several years. For example, taking it in their 20s and then saying "alright, that was a good run, but I'm 30 now and don't care about my hair anymore."

Plus there's a procedure expected to be released in the next two years in Japan (it's pretty far along in clinical trials) from Replicel which basically makes existing hair follicles immune to DHT. It's expected to cost 1k and after having it done, you're good for life.

Personally, I'm hopping on fin and then waiting until that's an option.

literally any flea market in the hipster part of a city, look for the black women with headwraps sitting at a table full of ethnic jewelry

or amazon

Is that the nigga who plays the dean in Old School?

>so forgive my misinformation.
No worries
>my point about having to religiously take it for the rest of your life still stands.
That's no different than a lot of things, like vitamins, fish oil tablets and moisturiser.

Fin cops far too much fear mongering for my liking. The biggest downside which your post indirectly pointed out is that it cant regrow hair. which leads to the the final point of

>Shave your head to the bone, it'll look better anyway.
Simply not true for most guys, having hair not only generally looks better but is vastly more adaptable and Veeky Forums overall. Indeed were it otherwise most men with hair would shave it off and save the money.

For people like pic related, who have let it get bad then yes shaving is the best option, however for people with the first signs of MPB its nonsensical to just give up prematurely.

Yeah I started reading about that Japanese thing too.
You planning on doing anything besides fin?
Seems the other two of the "big 3" (min & keto) aren't really necessary and mainly just speed along the actions of fin.
Also what dosage are you planning on?

>first signs of MPB its nonsensical to just give up prematurely.
For sure, I mostly meant NW3/4+

>For sure, I mostly meant NW3/4+
Then we are in agreement there

Your point about vitamins is fair also.
Although one thing I wonder. There was a point at which Nate Silver definitely had more hair. I'm surprised that someone with his profile didn't get put on any sort of treatment.

>You planning on doing anything besides fin?
Just keto, and I'm using it more for dandruff than anything else. Not really interested in min because it makes your scalp all greasy and itchy.

I'm planning on 1 or 1.25 mg, depending on what prescription I get.

Some more background on me, I'm like NW 1.5-2 (I'm ) with some thinning above the temples and mid crown thinning, a lot like .

I'm hoping that fin will fill in my thin spots, though even if it doesn't I guess it's not THAT bad (I've asked my family and close friends if they think I'm balding, they all say no so it can't be that bad yet). I doubt I'll go back to an NW 1, though. I think my current level of recession (thinning aside) is my natural mature hairline since my dad and paternal uncles all have it (and didn't thin at all until their 40s).

My ideal endgame is only having to spend a few years on fin and then I get my hair saved with replicel and a transplant for any finishing touches.

It's kinda silly, but my life goal is to become an astronaut so having my cake and eating it too would be a permanent fix without any meds since they don't usually hire people who require daily maintenance meds for long duration flights. I would quit fin in a heartbeat and let my hair all fall out if that's what it took to go to space.

Finesteride doesn't grow hair back it just stops it from worsening

I've been on it for a month and a half. Sides so far include watery cum (not white at all) and reduced libido. When I say reduced libido, it's more like wanting to jerk off once a day from twice a day which I don't mind considering I was almost too horny. Any more of a reduced libido and I may consider stopping.

It does grow back hair that's miniaturized without having gone completely bald. Just take a look at some of the posts on r/Tressless.

Plus Silver could easily get a transplant if he wanted, I think.

>I guess it's not THAT bad
Given your hair is quite short I'd say that nobody else noticing thinning on it is probably a good indicator that your crown is well within saving. As for your temples, looks like totally bald recession, but not in an ugly way. Lots of good hairstyles you can go with especially with longer hair if you keep it there.
Personally, I think I'm around a NW1 with slightly less recession on my right temple (but obvious thinning on inspection), as well as my hairline looking kinda chewed out. I think going much further back will make fringes difficult which have been my identity for about my whole life.

Sounds like a good plan provided that replicel thing doesn't go under. Good luck with your aspirations.

Also, does anyone know as a general rule how many years of thinning fin is likely to "reverse"?

>totally bald recession
It's really hard to say, there are some weak wispy hairs ahead of the hairline. I can't really tell if it's been receding slowly since it "matured" or if it's been thinning above it. And yeah, length does help. I have a Caesar-esque style right now (that last pic was after a cut several weeks ago, I haven't gotten it cut since), but the thinning on the temples makes it look kinda weird and like I've receded more than I actually have.

I have two older pics to compare that might show how things have changed for me over time.

Pic related I just took a few minutes ago.

It can "grow back" hairs that have miniaturised to the point of not being there. In that sense, it does results in some hairs being grown back. Additionally, it causes hairs to be thicker and grow longer generally.
Those things combined can make what is noticeable hairloss turn into a normal looking type. That said, Silver is beyond the help of fin alone.

Halloween, 2015. I weighed quite a bit more back then. I have some pictures going back to May of that year (or even December 2014) where you can see the circled area being a bit thin.

December 2014. I actually want to go back to a haircut kinda like this. My hairline was not really any lower back then, I think, but my temples weren't as thin.

I've thought for a while my current thinning above the temples could just be a natural distribution of hair density, but lately I'm feeling more and more it's male pattern baldness, especially with my mid crown thinning thrown into the mix.

I just think my case is extremely slow and non-aggressive, which is a bit odd since most guys who start around age 20 have very aggressive balding. If I followed their pattern, I should have a noticeable bald spot by now, which I definitely don't.

Does anyone know if fin works better on less aggressive cases? I'm not able to see the derm for about 3-4 weeks and I'm a little nervous I'll get some irreparable damage by then, but if the current pace continues and doesn't speed up I should be safe.

my family days that they don’t even notice it but I do and at this point I don’t think it’s “just in my head”
tell me how bad is it?

Have you been monitoring it since 2014 or is it something you've only recently started paying attention to? It could be that (especially since you used to have longer hair) your hair has always been around that density as a result of maturation.
That said, there's not harm in trying out the fin to see if it makes a difference.
I've no idea about the speed, but it affects everyone differently of course. Could just be that you say most people it affects at your age happens aggressively because they're mostly the only ones that notice it/it's noticeable on, whereas others might take until 30s before thinning becomes apparent.

try taking a picture that's actually in focus and without a bright as fuck light shining on your scalp. If you found the thickest hair in the world and took a picture of parted hair in that way it'd look like that

i have a question about finasteride.. Does the initial shedding happen across the whole scalp or only in the mpb areas? like would it possibly make the crown more visible for a short period?

I just started paying attention to it in the past year or two. I've been nervous about this since high school, and I had monitored my crown for a bit in 2013 after a bout of trichotillomania, I was paying attention to regrowth.

I started paying serious attention to it when that 2015 picture was taken. I had just gotten a new haircut and I noticed that my temples looked a bit higher than normal (partly thanks to the fact that I had a new haircut).

For the record, my dad and his brothers all have mature NW2 hairlines, they have since their teens 20s. They started thinning on top in their 40s. Hell, my grandmother has always looked NW2ish.

My mom's family on the other hand, well, her father was fine into his 40s or 50s (I have pics of him with a strong NW1 in his 30s) but all her brothers were bald by 30. On her mom's side, in turn, it was pretty bad IIRC. My one older male cousin on that side had a quite visible bald spot by 24.

23andme said I was safe, but hey, outliers exist.

When I've grown it out recently, the area above the temples still looks fairly weak. A year or so ago I was able to hide it but I think it's slowly becoming more and more noticable. It's also thinning into what looks like an NW3 pattern.

Take a pic without flash.

Need pictures of the pattern areas, temples and crown. People don't usually bald from the side or center of their head
For now it just looks like pictures of where you've parted your hair manually.

I just got off fin, and the shedding at the start is barely noticeable.

Unfortunately have stopped, as even after reducing my dose by half my dick was just dying. Be warned kids, fin can work wonders, but those wonders come at the cost of literally atrophying your prostate. After about a week off I'm starting to enjoy sex again, be careful with your dick!

Not trying to discount your experience at all, but I think we need to approach these things with a balance.

Sexual side effects DO happen, but they happen to a minority of users. I think anyone on it should be fully informed of these and keep an eye out for them BUT also avoid being a total hypochondriac

Are you the same guy as
In terms of genetics, what I usually hear is that the main gene for MPB is on your mothers side. Since the male can only pass on an X chromosome to a daughter, and that chromosome is where the gene is. That means it should skip a generation from that side and you'd expect to have the same as your grandfather. Although it seems like such a muddy field, and that your fathers side can affect it to a great extend as well.

I'm probably just biased, being in said minority. I agree, it's v unlikely to get them, but at this point I'm just gonna take the L and go bald gracefully.

Good for you man.

My initial shedding lasted maybe a week, where hair would fall out in the shower and that's it. My scalp was literally burning to the point to where it hurt up to the weeks where I decided to start taking it. I'm 4 months in and all shedding has stopped and the smaller hairs on my hairline are turning into full grown hairs. No sides either, knock on wood.
I wish I could do this, but I have no chin and a huge nose so it just wouldn't work. My Dad and all of his brothers are balding and they all keep it short and never buzz it because of how goofy they would look.

What scares me is how long I'll be taking fin. Is it for life? Do I stop at 35 or 40?

Yeah, I've read some research, there are genes from all relatives at play really. I looked at my SNPs related to androgen receptors and I have the ones which make MPB possible, but they exist in over 80% of white males. I'm not sure we really understand the genes which determine the age when it starts.

If I'm balding (which I think I am, especially with my crown), I have to admit I'm a tad embarrassed by my genes even if it's treatable.

I'm just glad we live in this day and age of medicine where genetics isn't destiny.

More power to you. Perhaps hair cloning will come around some day and you can get it all restored if you really want it.

By the way, when someone stops fin, do you effectively return to "where you left off" or is it more like all of the pent up baldness comes rushing in?

If i was bald id kill myself

Chadhair is life.

>What scares me is how long I'll be taking fin. Is it for life? Do I stop at 35 or 40?

You might have seen this elsewhere in the thread, but replicel is hopefully coming out in 2018 or 2019. It basically makes existing hair immune to DHT. A one off, $1k procedure and you're good. To get it done before the mid 2020s, though, you might have to go to Japan to get it done.

Personally, I've always wanted to visit Japan so it's a win-win. Keeping your hair for life, and getting a nice vacation.

Another possible silver lining to those of us who are losing our hair early right now: we're likely coming up on a renaissance of hair loss treatments. Most of us probably wouldn't treat it if it started in our 30s or 40s, but if it's hitting us in our teens or 20s we're more proactive. If we find something that saves it for the rest of our lives, we'll have full heads of hair into our 40s and 50s while our friends will be balding.

Is early-onset (20s and teens) balding becoming more common? My parents talk about it like it's rare but going around the city and my college I see plenty of guys who have visible hair loss (beyond the mature hairline) in their 20s.