Veeky Forums places to vist in LA?

Gonna be there for almost two weeks next month. Stores, food, museums, etc. recs would be appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

lacma.org/art/exhibition/fashioning-fashion-european-dress-detail-1700–1915
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why are people drawn to LA
Will never understand

Just visiting family that moved there (for work reasons). Not really sure what to expect.

The only good museum is LACMA, koreatown for food, go to the rick store. This city is hell and there's nothing to do ever.

Oh, and also go to the Last Bookstore.

LA sucks unless you're a rich and famous movie star.

enfants riches déprimés pop up gallery, disguised as a pawn shop

LA Native. People hating on it are losers.

Check resident advisor for raves if you like underground techno. Usually on friday/saturday. Look for the shows with venues TBA. They're usually warehouse parties.

If you're into underground hiphop check out Low End Theory on Wednesdays.

Hollywood BLVD for standard bar shit. Good Times at Davey Waynes for a 70s vibe but go early and with friends because there's a long line.

Farmers Market on 3rd is dope to eat, chill, and walk around. The Grove next to it is a high end shopping center.

Seconded for k-town. I like Road to Seoul for all you can eat korean.

Venice beach if you wanna see the weirdos.

3rd st promenade for more normie shopping.

Both Melrose and fairfax have more alternative clothing, but also street ware and your standard shit

For sushi I love Noshi sushi, but it's only go if you like legit back to the basics sushi.

Sawtelle is also a dope spot. West side's little tokyo.

Downtown's little tokyo is cool too.

Finally in downtown check out the Broad or MOCA for modern art. Walk around, check out Grand Central Market for food.

I forgot. Hit up Thai Hollywood if you want Thai food. Yai is my favorite spot. Lacha Somtum is good too.

And if you're into impressionism and can make the drive, check out the Norton Simon in Pasadena. Best collection on the west coast IMO

I feel bad for you if you think this. My problem every night when I lived in LA was figuring out where to go, because there would be too many things happening. There's almost every kind of food. Most designers have LA stores. When smaller bands tour America they at least do NYC and LA shows, and the same goes for touring museum exhibitions. But most of all, LA has Amoeba, the best record shop I've ever been to.

getty museum

secretstairs-la.com

why is porto's so good, bros?

Trickster Owens store

man, i miss socal. hoping to move back there sometime.

Same user ;_;

especially with the underground being developed it's going to be best time to live in LA

La Brea Tar Pits

LOL don't listen to this idiot. Go back to whatever shit town you moved from.

another LA native.
city is shit and smells like ass. too expensive and horrible to drive and live around here.

avoid at all costs.
captcha close calle , which is what you'll say when you change your flight at the last second

Lived in LA for all my life and It's hard to compare to other cities. I've been to New York and Chicago, but LA has this really intimate connection when you just wander around the city. There's tons of stuff you can learn and experience just by strolling around Sawtelle street or on Melrose. LA is like a living, breathing person with its own unique personality and it's that connection that really draws you in. Hope you enjoy our city when you visit!

lets move there anons

I was in LA this past summer for a concert at the forum and stayed in Inglewood. Didn't feel safe at all desu.

When people talk about visiting LA, they usually mean north of the 10 or the beach, not South Central.

>Check resident advisor for raves if you like underground techno. Usually on friday/saturday. Look for the shows with venues TBA. They're usually warehouse parties.
how is the techno scene in LA? I go to uni in america and hate how dead the scene is. I know Brooklyn is pretty good, but nothing compares to Europe that I've seen here

I moved to Silverlake 9 months ago but I'm so intimidated by this city. I rarely leave my apartment. I hate driving here not only because of the traffic but because there's never any parking. But I have question - what's the best way to hear free/cheap art and music events?

I love visiting LA, idk about living there with all the traffic, but its beautiful to me. Definitely go to the Rick store, its actually my favorite of all the Rick stores.

You should spend a day at the Getty Center, parking is like 15 bucks but you can easily make a full day of it. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been (in the States at least).

The Acne store is good as well if you like Acne, wander around sunset blvd, Melrose, Fairfax etc. There is a lot to do around in LA especially if you are into fashion.

One of my favorite stores is Wasteland off Melrose, it's a consignment/thrift store that has a lot of designer shit at very steep discounts. I got 2 pairs of SLP jeans from ss16 for like 300 bucks there, one of them still had tags and everything.

more like thsi please

I live in Orange County and I have no idea. LA is fun to visit occasionally, but overall it sucks.

LA sucks like most larger American cities. You can't "wander around the city" any later than 6PM or you'll get stabbed by a feces-covered HIV-positive homeless tweaker.

The airport

lmao....LA is dismal.

First Thursday of the month is Artwalk downtown. It's more of a drunk shit show, but can still be fun. And on Mondays in Silverlake/Echopark area most venues are free. This is cool cuz it lets you venue hop if a band sucks.

Is this bait? I used to walk literally through skid row after getting off my bar job at 3am. Never had a problem.

And you can't drive anywhere between 3p-7p unless you want to okay the parking simulator game. Walking around at this time in winter is perfect though, especially in DTLA or Silverlake because it'll keep the smell of the garbage down.

My dad got his truck shot up in silverlake back in 99 and again in 03. Only got bottled once when he used to work in east la.

I've been attacked by meth heads on two occasions.

The whole city has mellowed out a ton since mid to late 2000's.

Some people just look like a target I guess.

i think LA has an H&M

The techno is scene is fucking dope if you're into acid/industrial/ebm. No sell out techno whatsoever. It's getting bigger now but at least every other week there's some dope shit happening. Obviously not as frequent as other spots like in Europe but the sound coming out of LA is sick, but I'm definitely biased.

You're literally from Orange County that's legitimately worse than being from a flyover. Consider killing yourself before you become your suburban hell.

Same question but in places around Orange,CA

There is a lot of work. That's about it.

source: moved here from Sydney australia

lurking this thread

been in LA for about 3 months so far and i'm hating it. i do live in San fernando valley though and i suspect that has something to do with it

ventura and santa barbara are really nice though.

>in LA
>SFV
Pick one

lol the valley sucks
born and raised there
noho now has a better scene
ventura blvd if you wanna be a normie
your spot should just be where you sleep not where you hang out

lol LA is 213, 323, some of the 310, 626, and 818 foh

Because Cubans are best spics

LA County (SGV) resident for 14 years, from Philadelphia for 8 years. I have a strong love-hate relationship with this place

The good:
>in n out
>best mexican food this side of the border
>food trucks
>consistent blue skies
>lots of cheap and various foods
>people care for appearances
>great weather
>best beaches in NA
>getty center

The bad:
>Hellish summers
>Endless Sprawl
>consistent traffic
>Everything besides food costs a premium, including gas
>Much higher male to female ratio, opposite of east coast
>Draconian gun laws
>High taxes
>People here are flakey and circumstantial when it comes to their word
>undersized highways and roads
>always a ton of construction going on
>shitty downtown with sidewalks full of tents and drug addicted homeless
>hollywood is full of rude ass people, homeless, druggies, tourists and more traffic
>south LA in general is the quitessential hood in america
>will never have a good, far reaching public transport system
>overpopulated

At this point, I'm planning on buying a van to convert for vanlife to leave this state, southern california just aint the place for me. As a young person that wants to live a simple life, it seems hopeless getting a house here unless I live in a fucking commuter armpit (inland empire) or I bust my ass for a decade paying a mortgage. Not interested

213, 323, 310

626 and 818 btfo

>from sgv
>calls IE a commuter armpit

none of you actually fucking live in LA.
If you live in LA one of the following streets in a 10 minute max walk from your place: Pico blvd, Olympic blvd, Santa Monica blvd, wilshire blvd, hollywood blvd, sunset blvd, venice blvd

exception: you live in the hills

Partially related, but how's San Diego?

I've been to LA a number of times and could never live there, mainly due to the size and traffic.

lol the hammer and la>

>he doesn't know that pasadena is part of the sgv

Embarrassing. Pasadena is vastly better than much of the West side and is night and day from the depressing, ugly shithole that is downtown

go meet adam from no jumper podcast and his rapper friends

>unironically recommending LACMA
Do you really think LACMA is better than the Broad and Getty? Have you even been inside except for taking selfies at the lights?

lol at not including the valleys
i get not including places like woodland hills and glendora but you're bugging
and all of the hills have addresses that say studio city
since you talking crazy what city are you from?

>Nothing to do in LA
I feel bad for you user, I really do

This. I lived in LA 12 years and went to the valley only a handful of times, excluding a rehearsal studio in NoHo. The valley felt like everything I was trying to move away from by going to LA.

Kek. There's an inside? I thought it was just the selfie lights.

I kid. LACMA can be worth it depending on the exhibits touring through. I saw the Kubrick retrospective, an Eggleston exhibitions, and many others great showings. On a fashion note, I stumbled on to this one once by accident, and it was amazing: lacma.org/art/exhibition/fashioning-fashion-european-dress-detail-1700–1915

no it's the worst city in the world. fuck all of you and die

im a techno dj in socal and theres literally way toooooo many techno shows across LA and OC. You could genuinely go to a techno show every single day of the week if you wanted. Its lit as fukkkk theres a ton of european djs that moved to LA for the scene and we get international performances on the regular. Socal is forsure the absolute best place for EDM. We has good coke to go with good beats :)

There's nothing good in LA. Please don't come here

>it's a transplants explain a city they moved to to locals who would never move to those communities episode

In all honesty there is more than one LA, There's the LA of Koreatown, Echo Park and so on, there's the LA of the Westside, there's the LA of Hollywood, there's the Valley and suburban parts of LA

To say the suburban parts of LA aren't LA is ahistorical as to the history of LA

this

""wahhh theres nothing do"" just means ur lame af and a cultural outcast

assuming you've never been:

Go to Venice for a day and walk on the board walk, get high, and chill on Abbot Kinney. Maybe grab food from Gjelina and ice cream from salt and straw. Coffee from Intelligentsia etc. Can also try and check out the old canals.

Santa Monica is next door. It's become quite built up and commercialized in the last few years, but thats not necessarily a bad thing. Theres a Subway stop there for heading downtown if you like. Go to the famous pier, walk down the 3rd st promenade and maybe grab sushi from Roku or some of the other spots there.

Going 10 minutes inland from there you'll end up on Sawtelle, Westside Little Tokyo. Grab ramen, or Pho from Nong La. Go to Kid Robot (never been myself but pretty famous I guess), bubble tea whatever. Also theres a great coffee shop called Balconi run by good people to chill at.

Continue further and end up in westwood, hit up the Hammer museum and the Getty Center. If you go to the Getty center one morning, you can get comped parking at the getty by the beach in Malibu. Both are great museums. Could also walk around UCLA if you want, theres Persia town near the hammer and an ice cream place called Saffron Rose(?). its good.

Keep going in on Wilshire and you will end up in Beverly Hills. Park near Canon and get a pic with the Beverly Hills Sign, walk around and check out random shops or eat decent steak. The Barneys is ok.

Keep going and end up in West Hollywood. Even if youre not gay its a fun place to hang out, also lots of food options. Can go slightly north and end up on Sunset Blvd with its own bar scene.

Keep going and youre in Korea Town. Again, lots of food and bars. Youve probably also passed LACMA by now, its a good museum, I like the Ancient pieces, the Latin contemporary stuff, and the Asian stuff.

Contd

keep going and youll end up in hollywood. touristy stuff, walk of fame etc.

Keep going and you can head up to the griffith observatory, then grab food in los feliz area.

I forgot southwest from there is Fairfax and La Brea area. Fairfax is cool for the jewish food, and you can go to Canters although its expensive-ish and touristy. Also, La Brea has cool shops like Self Edge and I think a Roscos is near there, but roscos is meh. Also west from there is the Grove, just a big generic shopping mall but a decent outdoor food area.

back east from the observatory and youre downtown. Cool bars and restaurants, although its been sanitized a bit in the last few years. Maybe grab food at the bar of The Palm if you have some money to spend. the Broad is also there. Google LA tours, there are art deco downtown tours that would be cool I've never done them though. Theres also Grand Central Market there.

Slightly north is chinatown. Don't really recommend to be honest, go to San Gabriel for chinese food. Socal Asians are generally fags though.

East of downtown is just san gabriel valley, asian food and suburbia. Although there are some gardens and such that are nice if youre into that stuff. Pasadena is also quite nice, more north east. South of Downtown is the hood, could go see Watts Towers or whatever.

I also recommend heading a bit south of LA but staying by the coast and going ot like Redondo or wherever. Getting some seafood and just chilling. Even further would be to go to Orange County and chill at Laguna, but a bit of a trek.

Also, if you have extra time, consider heading to Malibu proper, maybe do a hike or something or chill by the beach.

I didn't cover much, but just general neighborhoods you can check out, I also didnt cover all the neighborhoods, just the more popular touristy ones. I started from the beach and worked to downtown.

If you google around you should be able to fill in the gaps, have fun, and use Uber.

Yeah, their special exhibits can be pretty cool but the main stuff isn't that great

Oh hey, I'm going to Chicago soon. What's there to see there?

>hellish summer
Dude it was hitting 90s last week and most of october.

>The techno is scene is fucking dope if you're into acid/industrial/ebm
that's exactly what I'm into. the brvtalist is based out of LA and I know he puts on parties there sometimes.
>techno shows
>techno show
> EDM
>lit as fukkkk
jesus fucking christ

>none of you actually fucking live in LA.
>If you live in LA one of the following streets in a 10 minute max walk from your place: Pico blvd, Olympic blvd, Santa Monica blvd, wilshire blvd, hollywood blvd, sunset blvd, venice blvd

truest words spoken in this thread

When did you move to LA?

lived walking distance from venice blvd my whole life
get with it valley/suburbs fag

I am 10 minutes from ventura blvd.

is that la

not the same guy, but how do you find things to do when you don't know what's up?

g00d shit

Bit hoodish desu

>This city is hell and there's nothing to do ever
>go to koreatown
what fucking species are you