Fashion Industry

Anybody here studied or work fashion? Do you enjoy it? I'm thinking about majoring in fashion, and having second thoughts.

>I'm thinking about majoring in fashion, and having second thoughts.
why would you?
the literal guy who did the shoes for nike. i think off-white majored in engineer. don't waste your money
go to college for something productive and buy books on fashion and hang around in a scene.

As the kids say raise your clout and the world will follow

I have no formal training but I make diy garments since I can sew and sell them online and do a few local runway shows. I have also worked in theater and film doing costume and never been to uni. It's all about who you know. Personally fashion is my passion so it's something I enjoy is making weird shit and selling it.

Virgil is extremly lucky being friends with kanye, and don c. Those are really big connections to have in the streetwear world
Well the main reason I'm going major in fashion is networking. I live in a shithole third world, and will be attending uni in europe.
Post clothing user.

bump

Stay in your shithole, we don't want you

did runway
didn't like anybody there lol

You never leave your basement user, its okay you wont see me.
really? thats odd. everybody in fashion i've talked to were all really nice.

hi industry here,
depends on what you want to do, if youre just going to become an SA, you might as well work part time while getting a real degree, theres nothing actually glamorous about the industry, if you work for a label or even worse a factory you will be making guaranteed peanuts, you will never become a buyer for a department store let alone a boutique / select / concept store, and chances are you do not have a brilliant concept. sewing and pattern cutting takes years to show any expertise, and making a T shirt brand is not going to cut it today. . . so unless you have connections or are filthy rich it wont be very nice.

when you're at school basically anyone who has been sewing before they are 18 have the upper hand which already puts you in a disadvantage, its even worse if they have a pedigree, as in one of their parents are tailors or are industry. It is the equivalent to practicing the piano, only time can show the results.

If you cannot think critically and you chose a school which lets say , does not judge your actual skill or ability and is more about the bullshit concepts, if you cant outsmart those ferrets you are also going to have a bad time.

so lets say you graduate and you want to attempt to work somewhere you will probably be interning for zero to perhaps transportation fees only, for about 6 months to a year before anyone even whips out a wallet to pay you anything.

>tl;dr dont do it

What about the copyright issues graduates face?
Who teaches the business aspect of fashion, if at all?

Thank you for the advice user. I know it's going to be very shit, but the only thing I've enjoyed in the past few years is drawing, and sewing. I know very basic sewing, but no pattern cutting.
I know i wont be the next hedi thats obvious, but what about the person that sews the stuff hedi designs?

Usually it would be someone who gets paid from 400-1000 euros a month or maybe slightly more depending on what region, but usually this is not something people who go to university end up doing, more like a technical school or no school whatsoever.

I don't really mind getting paid fuckall. How would people who don't go to school get into it? Do you think uni would be worth it solely for the contacts you might get there? I've a good chance at saint martens, but it's rather expensive so I wonder if it's worth it.
Also sorry for the barrage of questions, and thank you a lot for the help.

Remember that fashion is one of those industries where you don't actually need a degree, being skilled is really all that is needed.

If you think you'll regret not trying, then go for it. Regret feels worse than trying and failing.

Fashion obviously isn't the "smart" choice, but if it's what you want to do, do it.

go to CSM if you can. I would not settle for anything less than top 3 schools in the world, just based on the fact that your peers will elevate you.

Contacts are difficult, I have made more contacts through internships in the past than anything. . .

Can you draw well and sew? Never tried? Then fucking try and exercise in drawing.
Which job are you looking for? Fashion is a huge industry that employs everyone from programmers to tailors. Business degree with some basic fashion courses will be enough for landing a "white-collar job", but then again it's boring. Want to actually create stuff? Read my first sentence. NEVER do any "artsy" degree without being sure you aren't total zero in this field (in most unis you won't even be accepted without art test).

About myself. I study textile development and design (B.o.S). Mix of chemistry, physics, tailoring and design. Started to tailor and knit for fun around 19, so wanted to work with textiles. At least a more enginery degree like this will easily land me a job at a factory while still giving enough possibilities to design my own stuff. University is a mess, we are 20 people and I'm only male one. People will look bright and artsy, but are extremely shallow inside. You will need to suck cocks, maybe metaphorically, maybe literally.

>tl;dr try it out first, don't get meme "designah degree", master yourself in free time, learn people and don't be a sperg

Also another advice. You will need to do internships for networking. And it's mostly unpaid. And if possible inernationally in London or Paris. It would be wise to save up around 8000 to 10000€ for bachelor before starting (I worked as a translator and html code monkey for an year). And don't get yourself into debt, never loan money for risky stuff since chances of ending up in warehouse for 10+ years are pretty high.

Do you really feel like you want to get into the industry, or do you just want to make your own brand, make your own clothes and make some money with it (how much obviously depends on your talent)? There are so many people nowadays selling their clothes - especially dresses and/or costumes - in the three-digit-price-range via Facebook, etsy or their own websites I've honestly lost count. These people might not get a spot at New York Fashion Week, but they're still pretty successful.

So, if you have any outstanding concepts - go for it. Hell, you might not even need outstanding ones - look at Alexander Wang, half his stuff is made of mainstream wrap dresses.

What exactly do you want to do in fashion that requires formal training? Most "fun" jobs in the industry, like most industries, require either vision, talent, and in most cases, both.

Want to make clothes? Learn to measure, cut, and sew. It takes time, but a good designer will know these things.

Test for design faculties are hard af. Can you draw well? Because that's the first thing they will test.

Not to forget at top schools you will need to absolve a 6-12 month long practica in textile industry before even beginning.

Thank you everybody for the advice!
I've tried before plenty I already have a solid portifolio built up, wouldn't get accepted anywhere without it. I enjoy doing it. I'm just not sure about the industry.
I made a bunch of dumb jackets and sold them before, but I feel like I have to to uni, and fashion is the only apealing major.

Any starting guide to design?