So Uniqlo just announced a second lot of boring JW Answerson stuff...

So Uniqlo just announced a second lot of boring JW Answerson stuff. It feels like their collaborations peaked with Lemaire.

With Naoki Takizawa, former head of design at Issey Miyake, leading design, why is Uniqlo so fucking boring?

Other urls found in this thread:

uniqlo.com/us/en/u-hi-cut-sneakers-403038.html?dwvar_403038_color=COL09&cgid=men-uniqlo-u#start=19&cgid=men-uniqlo-u
uniqlo.com/au/store/men/outerwear/jackets-coats.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>why is Uniqlo so fucking boring
I don't think you understand how uniqlo operates

High quality basics? A basic company can do interesting things. There have been hints of it. They once did kids jackets where the pattern was reflective for safety. They did these nice pleated chinos which almost immediately went on sale then disappeared. The Uniqlo U sneakers are secretly great and cost basically nothing. Why not do a better shoe?

>The Uniqlo U sneakers are secretly great and cost basically nothing
source

Best collab was still undercover. JW anderson bland unimaginative shit.

uniqlo.com/us/en/u-hi-cut-sneakers-403038.html?dwvar_403038_color=COL09&cgid=men-uniqlo-u#start=19&cgid=men-uniqlo-u

Just get a pair. White look better. They're comfy, durable as shit, look good.

That was great but it was so long ago. But they had Jil Sander, Alexander Plokhov, Lemaire.

And now this Irish fruits plaid basics. The same mind that made a leather dick keychain. It just shows what unimaginative, vapid millennials must be making suggestions at that company.

>High quality basics
emphasis on basic
the idea is it appeals to wide demographic, anyone should be able to buy their things and they try to keep it 'trend free', seasonal changes in fashion is not supposed to reflect their selection too much
why demand something from the brand when its clearly not their forte or about their business? can't you just shop at zara for the wilder designs?
it's like demanding thom browne to stop doing suits, you can voice your opinion but it's so uneducated it just makes you look stupid
"boring" is uniqlo, that's the idea

And being obtuse doesn't make you look stupid? I'm not demanding that Uniqlo starts ripping off Yeezy like Zara does. I'm not oblivious to the concept of trend free, basics offered year round. But basic =/= boring.

My point is Uniqlo pulls in talented people, then seemingly doesn't use them. Maybe it's because as the brand strengthens, the demographic widens, and its necessary to be more concise.

But I would think their continued success and growth would give them more room to explore. As we already said, there are example of more exciting offerings in the past.

Uniqlo U is somewhat interesting, but it almost feels like it could be their mainline. The reality is that the average consumer there isnt a Walmart shopper who needs jeans and plaid so as not to be offended. There is room to offer something a little more interesting within basics.

The point is they have access to talented people, so it makes me wonder why the output its increasingly boring. Something more exciting in the works? This is just to spur discussion.

>High quality

I'm not being obtuse, I'm just telling it like it is, you just simply don't understand Uniqlo, again what's the issue about getting the trendy more designed shit from Zara or something?
You are literally demanding them to go against everything the brand and their offerings are about.

would do for the price desu, but they only have the low tops left

Idk those light padded down jackets look good

You're saying I want Uniqlo to do trendy designs.

I'm actually asking why is it becoming less exciting with great design talents. It's already happened. It's not new. They already did something interesting. They've been doing it. But I can't convince you to back down from your misunderstanding.

Just check a local store. They usually have a bunch leftover.

I'm surprised they're working with him again, i felt like their collection sold slowly and all ended up in clearance

>You're saying I want Uniqlo to do trendy designs.
No I'm saying you are barking up the wrong tree, Uniqlo ain't about big visible design
>why is it becoming less exciting
well that's just your opinion man, some people might disagree on that and 'exciting' is not the word for the brand to begin with, it's simple, every day, ordinary basics
If you found something they've done interesting I can't really say you are wrong, it's up to ones taste really

Uniqlo is the master race

uniqlo.com/au/store/men/outerwear/jackets-coats.html

It doesn't look like the JW coats are going anywhere in Aus' but they came out just when it started getting hot and there were at least two other collabs with coats in the store.
JW isn't even in the collabs list and this stuff is still not on sale.

In-store seems to be a little more sensible, they've got a lot of dry-ex shirts on the racks.

>uniqlo
>high quality

He said that you can be basic and still keep a sense of style/identity to an extend. Stop being fucking dense.

that's true but it's hard to deny they're the best quality at that price point. you could argue for higher tier stuff going on sale but that's a bit of a reach.

i love the lemaire u stuff. when do spring summer lookbook come out

i hope they do a loose fit linen button up

This

the clothes from the peanuts collab don't look great at all but they're flying off the racks because they're good quality (uniqlo) and cheap

imagine if we had more interesting pieces

>So Uniqlo just announced a second lot of boring JW Answerson stuff.

>Looking to Uniqlo to not be boring and basic

Literally why?

>high quality

Slow down. It's a step above its direct competitors in that department, but it is still mass produced fast fashion I would say "pretty good quality for what it is" would be a more accurate statement.

I still fail to see why you're so desperate for Uniqlo to be interesting or not super basic bitch. Just look somewhere else for what you want. Is Uniqlo the only store in town for you and the only one you can afford.

This "please Uniqlo be my everything" mindset is so strange. There are so many options. Even if you're a poorfag you can still look beyond Uniqlo.

I personally have a huge love for the brand. On the whole, I'm disgusted with how most people approach personal style and fashion. Every time you mention fashion and Uniqlo in the same breath, you hear the "uniqlo is not fashion" squawk. True it's not some high concept Rick Owens down sleeping bag taped to a fat black women avant garde fashion, but it still occupies a space in the fashion world. J Crew is like MFA the store, H&M is just churning out shit so you can match whatever you read in some womens magazine, and Zara is making Yeezys out of fucking trash bags and selling them. Gap and Old Navy are relics of another time.

All these places where people get their clothes. Just shit. And that's what it's about. People and clothes. From a business philosophy point, Uniqlo is a fucking knight in shining armor in the world of dressing people. Not only that, but its a powerful platform. Enabling designers to put their efforts within reach of normal people. They collect and donate clothes to those in need. Despite what you may think, they push the bountries of technology and clothing. If there was a future of high fashion, and everything else was Uniqlo, it would be a good future.

In life, I've come to have more appreciation for what can be mass produced. Yeah some farm to table, beautifully plated meal is enjoyable. But McDonalds produces a palatable meal, at an affordable price, and replicated the experience across the globe, every single day. Sure, an Aston Martin is handbuilt and hand stitched and the epitome of luxury, but a Nissan GT-R rolls off the same line as an Altima and bests supercars in performance. To me, those things are more powerful.

So I want to see Uniqlo succeed, I want to see them push the envelope and explore. I don't want them to become another fucking Gap.

>McDonalds produces a palatable meal

Stopped reading there. Do you really eat McDonald's and consider yourself fashionable? Do you even take care of yourself at all?

mcdonalds fries are Veeky Forums you pleb

they're complete shit and taste horrible, but models love to tell you how much they love eating them

"you ate a whole small fries, no way"

>High quality basics
>high quality
why does Veeky Forums have such a hard time admitting uniqlo is fast fashion
second hand is a thing

Start eating some vegetables. You'll feel and look better.

Do you shower every day and brush your teeth?

This was terrible quality when you saw it IRL. Things like undercover leather jackets don't really translate well at that price point.

How's the quality of Uniqlo U? Better than average?

>why does Veeky Forums have such a hard time admitting uniqlo is fast fashion

Because most of Veeky Forums is broke teenagers and uni students who are, at their core Veeky Forums nerds (the amount of generic Reddit bashing and right wing politics on even the fucking fashion board here is comically ridiculous). Basically take a bunch of standard frogposting virgin walkers who care a little bit more than the complete neckbeard cohort and you've got Veeky Forums.

Veeky Forums milquetoasts are drawn to Uniqlo and need Uniqlo to be viewed highly because it's safe enough that they can't really be called cringe or potentially criticized for wearing it (remember Veeky Forums is a hive mind that can dish it out but cannot take it or be confronted) and because Uniqlo is realistically what they can afford. So if Uniqlo starts getting trashed they have no where to go. If it sounds like I am bashing Uniqlo I am not. I own some Uniqlo stuff. I am going after a mindset that shits on pretty much anything and everything (Supreme? Fucking hypebeast. Rick? Tryhard faggot. Gucci? Nigger) but then says nothing about Uniqlo for being bland fast fashion because of the reasons I stated. You've got problems when you need Uniqlo to be creative for you. Hoping that Uniqlo does another "collaboration" with Undercover or something like that ("collaboration" in quotes because Uniqlo doesn't really bring anything to the table in partnership with a heavyweight like Undercover so all you're left with is cheap facsimile of the real thing).

Again, I am not hating on Uniqlo. Uniqlo is fine for what it is. But thinking or wanting it to be anything other than serviceable basics is dumb. Why get mad if they're not doing anything other than basic.

who hurt you

>why does Veeky Forums have such a hard time admitting uniqlo is fast fashion
Because ... well, dude, its stuff IS pretty high quality considering the price. It's basic, it's nothing jaw-dropping, but a LOT of stuff produced by H&M, Zara, etc, just comes apart after a few washes. That's not the case for Uniqlo.

There's also the fact that those Inditex fast fashion companies like Zara are just more ... fashionable. I don't say that as a good or bad thing, it's not a value judgment, I literally mean that unlike Uniqlo, they follow trends and put out clothing that is supposed to look very current, whereas Uniqlo's aesthetic is much more stable.

I'm not saying Uniqlo necessarily isn't fast fashion but when you lump it in with the rest of them you're leaving out a big part of the picture.

I hate Uniqlo because it's just more bland, empty, cultureless, rootless, psuedo-cosmopolitan garbage like H&M or modern-day Bannana Republic. It's the fashion equivalent of a strip mall built in a small town that was exciting at first, but will only be an abandoned blight on the landscape in the near future.

That analogy is terrible

Is it as much of an obstruction to this thread as a concrete monstrosity of a strip mall is to the middle of a formerly quaint small town?

No but it's still pretty bad dude

I'm not the guy to which you're replying but let me take a crack at explaining why I think you're wrong. I'll use JW Anderson as an example.
So, for Uniqlo they did a very basic trench coat. I looked them up to see what kind of coats the JW Anderson label itself puts out. I was surprised. To my plebeian eye their real coats looked like shit. Like they just went out of their way to put a bunch of weird crap all over them.
Now, I am assuming you consider the output of real fashion labels to be "rooted" and "cultured" while a fast fashion outlet is rootless and empty?
I disagree. I would say the legit JWA coats are rootless crap while the basic bitch trench coat is very historically rooted and culturally identifiable.
In fact the thing you're failing to see is that almost all these basics are rooted in European culture, even if they're made by Chinese children for a Japanese company.
Most of this stuff is ours and for various reasons other cultures also adopted them.
When a fashion label pushes boundaries and tries something new by definition they are being rootless cosmopolitans and that's generally who buys their products.
Basics are basic because they are commonplace meaning they are part of the culture and have roots.

>and still keep a sense of style/identity to an extend
but that's the whole thing
Uniqlo is doing just that with U line
Just cause it doesn't appeal to him personally doesn't really make it not true

it's japanese h&m, what do you expect

>This "please Uniqlo be my everything" mindset is so strange. There are so many options. Even if you're a poorfag you can still look beyond Uniqlo.
such as? genuine question

Zara, H&M and other fast fashion companies
They aren't that much behind with the quality, probably good idea to buy them from the physical stores though so you get to inspect the individual items

>I want to see them push the envelope
You are so fucking dense holy shit

>They aren't that much behind with the quality
They are. Plus HM and zara mostly trying to be trendy, clothing screams HERE PLS IM FASHIONABLE, I CARE ABOOOT FASHOON R8 MA INSTA EFFAY, LUV YA TUMBLR BOI

It's good imo, the knitwear feels good, blocktech stuff serves its purpose, some of the pieces feel a bit out there though

uniqlo (USA at least) has really gone downhill in the past few years. i know they arent fashion or necessarily great but lately at least in the NYC stores they cater too much to the tourists so it's all those big puffer jackets or other ugly outerwear. i used to at least find something worth getting or looking at every season... not anymore.

also their "stretch" jeans/pants are awful.

They dont want to alienate their customers. My mom buys pants from uniqlo because they use pretty comfy stretchy materials and the cut is pretty conventional.
She also bought tees for my nieces and nephews from them because they make cute regular clothes for normal people. Also theyre cheap.
Yet she will never set foot on zara or h&m because the stores are too "fashionable" for her.
So to answer your question, its because they want money. Uniqlo is for everyone and they will get more money that way.

What, if you ate a cheeseburger would you spit it out in disgust? How fucking retarded are you? Do you think millions of people eat there every day by mistake? Are you so autistically Veeky Forums you can only eat cigarettes? You literally can't appreciate the ability to make something that tastes pretty good, 1000 times over, the same each time? You need to be able to separate your retarded opinions from reality.

Are you Americans? I was surprised to see how many Americans hate on McDonalds. What I think it is is that you get lots of blacks working there in the USA.
In Australia, McShit ain't so bad.

compared to similarly priced stuff it is

Any day now in the USA we're going to initiate our anti-fastfood revolution, I know because the tension is just so thick. To break the shackles of oppression starts with burning down your local McDonalds.

how is it 2018 and people are still hawking hm and zara on Veeky Forums

Bought a pair of heatech jeans from them. Shit is comfy af.