What should and shouldn't you buy from fast fashion stores? Talking about stuff like H&M, Zara, Pull & Bear, Bershka...

What should and shouldn't you buy from fast fashion stores? Talking about stuff like H&M, Zara, Pull & Bear, Bershka, Mango, Stradivarius, etc.

I want to buy all my basics like chinos, t-shirts, socks and underwear from H&M. Is that a good idea? Also, how are their jeans?

I know that you should never buy shoes from any of these places cause they're absolute shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2568754/Toddler-left-agonising-cut-trying-H-M-trousers-sharp-security-pin-attached.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

thshirts, socks and underwear are acceptable. Pretty much anything else is not.

Stay away from pretty much anything that is cut and sewn, has buttons, etc.

Nothing. Not even socks. It’s all extremely cheap trash. Once you’ve actually worn high quality basics you never want to go back to that fast fashion shite.

Basics should be the best quality items you own; you’re wearing them really often right? They’re gunna get washed often too. Quality basics can make or break an outfit. It doesn’t have to be super expensive high fashion, I like to get my t’s and such from allsaints.

There's no Allsaints in my country.

get basics from uniqlo and zara for your random quirky pieces when you have no money for designer shit

Honestly it varies in quality. By and large it's trash and it's a bad idea to buy it, your clothes WILL fall apart in a few months and you'll end up spending more money replacing them than you would have if you just bought something decent from the get-go. But if you do your homework, you can sometimes find a couple pieces by them that'll actually be decent quality - or, more accurately, pieces that have known common defects that you can CHECK FOR IN THE STORE.

One example I posted something like this a few days ago but I'll repost: with a lot of fast fashion companies, as prev. user mentioned, the buttons are weak points. Often they're practically falling off in the store. Pull&Bear is no exception, but their denim jackets unsurprisingly have metal buttons that are usually sturdier and don't come off as easily. The problem is that the buttons themselves can be put together very sloppily; sometimes the socket and stud won't even be properly attached. But you can look over the buttons in the store. Other than that issue, Pull&Bear's denim is surprisingly well-constructed for a fast fashion company, and so if you're diligent when you examine their denim products in the store, you can get yourself a denim trucker jacket etc VERY cheaply that'll last you ... well, not forever, but for years, not months. I have a gray Pull&Bear jacket that's lasted about that long and shows no sign of falling apart yet.

Sorry for wall of texting you, but the point is, there are similar gems in other fast fashion stores, you just have to ask around and tirelessly read product reviews. Is it worth it, vs. thrifting your garments or simply working a couple extra hours and buying a more expensive one? That's up to you!

For obvious reasons, NEVER, EVER BUY FAST FASHION ONLINE. ALWAYS check for defects in the store.

Bought 10 pairs of socks from uniqlo early this year for 3$ a pair. Theyre amazing.

I really don't think Uniqlo deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as H&M, Zara, Pull&Bear, etc. There was an argument in the last thread about whether or not they counted as "fast fashion" and personally you can call them that all you want, I won't be offended, it's not like I work for them, but there stuff simply isn't as prone to fucking disintegrating in the wash as H&M or the Inditex brands.

That's basically their unofficial slogan, even. "Uniqlo: Surprisingly well-constructed for the price point!"

what do you think of allsaints skinnies?

i work at hm, but i don't get off for 3 more hours. keep this thread alive and I'll break down the quality of all of our shit

I am a college student who's bought a lot of H&M over the years. I almost exclusively wear H&M on nights out because it’s “trendy” and it’s not the end of the world if a girl spills her drink on your $40 jeans or $20 shirt or $10 t-shirt.
Their underwear is probably the best deal in the store. Every time I go to my local mall I can snag a 3 pack of trunks for $5.
Their swim trunks are also great for the price since I would never spend more than $15 on a pair of them anyways.

Besides those few items everything else is hit or miss- the basics can be worth the price but when you want to look presentable you will wish you went for a medium quality $50 pair of khakis from GAP instead of your wrinkly faded $30 H&M ones

Waiting on you user.

you pay for what you get. it's affordable and one of the only things some people (including me) can get

T H R I F T
H
R
I
F
T

Idk man all my socks from uniqlo are doing pretty well

I bought hoodie and a week later the fabric started to have those little balls on it

are you implying that thrift shops have higher quality shit than h&m?

Not him, but if you go to thrift stores close to wealthy areas, you can find some insane deals.

Only thing worth getting from these stores are plain black socks and occasionally some jewellery/accessories/sunglasses. Otherwise stay the fuck away, unless it's some collab with some designer, quality/price ratio seems to be better then(probably cuz the designer collabing doesn't want his name tainted by shit quality)

seconding this. found a Isaia jacket, 80% woold 20% cashmere for 25 bucks and a hugo boss shirt for 15 bucks or so in one of those

in

How do I determin if a brand is fast fashion or not? Where I live you don't really hear about H&M or UniQlo

>your clothes WILL fall apart in a few months

I have H&M/Primark t-shirts and underwear that I've worn every other day for years and they still look fine. Jeans, shirts etc I'd be more wary of, but the notion that cheap basics are going to be falling apart so fast is ridiculous

95% of the time, yes

Bump for you user

What about for basic plain hoodies?

I'm about to get cargo pants from h&m cus that's all I can afford

what do you hear about then?

here

okay first off i'm gonna assume all y'all are men.
for starters, socks and underwear. all going to be very cheaply made but if you're the kind of person who doesn't mind replacing these they're fine. neither one is soft to the touch, both will shrink slightly in the wash. main part here is just that they're cheap. our basics t shirts are much the same way. super thin cotton, will shrink, might get holes or fray easily. the redeeming factor here (like with much of our clothes) is the cheapness. if going for t shirts I recommend the premium cotton or linen blend ones. avoid graphic tees they are all cancer. Jeans vary in quality. the slightly more expensive ones are pretty close in quality to like gap or levi's. the cheaper jeans i would stay away from unless you really like the fit of them. all of our pants are way skinnier than you would think. i am very skinny (6'1" 138 lbs) and some of our slim jeans fit me close to how other companies' skinnies fit. we have very few straight or wide legged trousers of any kind. avoid cheaper suiting it's atrocious. 'pricier' suiting is less likely to disintegrate but i would still suggest looking somewhere else for this. shoes are awful. our sweaters tend to be pretty nice for the cost. do not, i repeat, do not, buy our button downs. suuuuuuuuuuper thin and paper-y. even the premium ones aren't great. jackets can go either way, some feel decent some feel shitty. denim jackets are pretty nice. the sherpa ones are actually pretty warm but all of our other jackets are not very warm. we have some okay looking flannels, pretty thin but fine for warmer climate 'winters' (i live in arizona). this post is already obnoxiously long so if there's anything else you wanna know about specifically just ask

Thoughts on products that are real leather? I.e. biker jackets, I believe they belong to the premium collection. The faux leather ones are awful, I know that.

we'll, they're "real leather" as in "genuine leather" which is to say, they are of the worst quality of leather available to manufacturers. i would not go for a cheap leather jacket from anywhere, let alone from us. and yes, the faux leather ones are truly awful.

I've bought shoes from h&m that have lasted me years, idk what you're talking about

they look and feel bad, they might not literally fall apart but i would avoid

GUYS
seriously, wether or not a garment will 'fall apart' is not the only axiom by which you judge the quality of a garment
JUST because your shitty H&M t-shirt is still going after a year doesn't mean it still isn't made from cheap materials that look awful and are cut and constructed with very little thought or style
details MATTER and are alien to fast fashion, your basics should be expensive and of high quality; they're the garments you wear most often right??

basic != cheap

I'm not spending $30 on a white t-shirt because eventually they all end up with pit stains and need to be replaced every few months. $10 and medium (little better than h&m) quality is fine.
t. Floridian

Also I lift so I outgrow shirts/pants often

Same. I have t-shirts that are 10 years old and still totally fine.

it's a basic t-shirt, high end designers haven't found some secret technique to make a t-shirt look better on every person sorry to break it to you. 100% cotton is beyond easy to find, what other materials are they using.
and just like their lower price point siblings, you need to find a brand that best fits your body type or your personal tastes. just because it's expensive it doesn't mean shit

This.
Fast fashion is a fucking disease to the industry.

if you seriously think that all cotton based fabrics that t-shirts are made from are the same then you know nothing about textiles...

um yeah cotton can range from many things like broadcloth or jacquard. when making a T-SHIRT there's little room for variety. you can find pima cotton t-shirts for like $30-50, and "100% cotton" ones for triple or even 10x the price so...i really don't know what that user was trying to prove by saying it must be expensive.

i disagree, socks are not acceptable, have you seen the socks they sell there? pay extra for nice quality cotton socks. its not a place you should be skimping on. the only good item at H&M is jeans, evreything else is shit tier. they have nice scarves too actually and iphone gloves. they have the odd awesome shirt there in one of their in huse brands like logg

uniqlo is shit tier stop deluding yourself. and it's made for Asians.if you are young like 18 to 25 than shopping at H&M will be better than most people desu. but if you are in 30s then only buy select things like never buy a staple jacket from there

yea but just because you pay 300 for a shirt it doesn tmean it is by default a good quality fabric either. go shop at club monaco and pay 150 for jeans made in sri lanka. go shop at holt renfrew and pay 500$ for a recessed shirt that will disintegrate in the wash if you wash it.

I bought a Premium Line merino wool sweater and its been keeping me warm for about four years now. I think the Premium Line is worth a closer examination. But agree with you on everything else.

Long time Veeky Forums lurker here. Veeky Forums does offer very good tips and basic designs on how to dress and where to buy. If you take it at it's base, and go by whats posted on tuxbell; you can learn to dress pretty nice.

What a huge part of Veeky Forums is though, is just paying the most amount of money possible on clothes that are only slightly better than what you can get at H&M/Uniqlo/Gap. It's because of this that they have 7 t-shirts that come up to 1200 dollars that make up for huge gaps of seething insecurities they have.

They have this grandiose fantasy that someone (mostly girls) will walk by and here them dropping names on their top of line 400 dollar pair of pants and 75 dollar pair of socks...in random conversations. And the girl will equate the money spent on these clothes as being rich and will talk to them. Because Veeky Forums is largely made up trust fund babies who have no personality and massive insecurities, it leads to shitting on clothes they deem lesser (cheaper).

-quality construction of garment
-quality of fabric used in construction
these are two very different things and can create confusion

this is why i say that OP brand can yield good results for some things that designed to be tough, like jeans, jeans by their nature are designed as tough garments, idc if you buy wrangler, or whatever, me personally, NEVER have ever owned a pair of jeans that actually fell apart on me, I've ownd shit brands that have been washed thousands of tiems and still been fine, because they are jeans JEANS.

it's not expensive to construct jeans that are durable, this is just fact. but it is more expensive to source highest quality denim and re wash the jeans hundredds of times like the Acne stay black jeans, that process COSTS alot of money to do, tbs, this doesnt mean the actual threading and construction of that 300 pair will be any better than a 20$ pair at H&M. this is just the reality

yes you can see a shitty cheap quality cotton shirt on someone, if you have that awareness and fashion ability, but most people cant.

the more you explore Fashion the more you will realize there is a difference in good fabric vs cheaper fabric, but someone could construct a really bad stitched shirt that has quality amazing fabric in it also.

so in terms of durability, I dont think that that should be the argument point, because you can just go and buy Dickies and pay nothing and have very durable

high quality SOFT fabrics like silk and even just rayon, these are no durable fabrics but they will cost more than cheap spun cotton.

my point is, you shouldn't pay premium for "durable" clothes, because durability is not expensive to produce. just mass produce a shirt that is stitched well, and use ultra cheap cotton, the cotton wont rip, only the seams will rip.

>high quality SOFT fabrics like silk and even just rayon, these are no durable fabrics but they will cost more than cheap spun cotton.
and you can buy super strong "stiff" cotton shirts at wal mart

durability is a tradeoff, the more durable the fabric, the less soft it is, the less comfy it is. I bought egyptian cotton socks, they are the most soft incredible socks i've ever worn. I had to pay premium for them, the stitching on them might not even be very good desu. it's a sock, it's not jeans. but it's worth the premium. but then, you can go somewhere else, and buy rreally expensive "egyptian cotton" socks, and they aren't as soft as the ones I have, they are slightly more expensive, and they feel durable, but they simply do not feel soft and silky like the ones i got, those will probably last longer, but wont feel soft. just bc they state a certain fabric type doesnt even mean its the same as some other product.

this is why it ultimately comes down to how discerning you are in terms of your ability to contrast and understand clothing and the materials used, so you can make better purchases. you weigh the durability with the comfort with the form etc. it's not cut and dry like some make it out to be. only you feeling the product in your hand and inspecting the seams etc

u sound insecure maybe not post here on Veeky Forums, try /diy/ they might help u fix that chip on ur shoulder

I like the Divide line of shit from HM for basics. Nothing is fraying so far and the hoodies and sweatpants I got are warm and comfy.

it also depends if u actually follow the care instructions . if it says "do not machine wash" then don't. whether it's a 10$ shirt or 100$. otherwise you can t complain really

also work at hm, can confirm
i think our military jackets in the divided blue department are actually decent, probably some of the best stuff we have as far as quality goes desu. those can actually stay totally fine for years, but you still might as well buy surplus instead
i will say the one area hm excells is kids clothing desu. not really relevant on Veeky Forums but it's decent for the price and kids grow up fast enough it doesnt have as much of a chance to fall apart
oh also we bleed on your clothes all the time during morning shifts where we attach those little pin sensors, sorry

i used to work there and that literally never happened, also zara and AA after that which required us to tag some items. is your staff retarded no offence

less retarded more perpetually new. most people dont stay for longer than like 3 months and there are new people every other week

>basic
>very little style details
>constructed with very little thought

wow. intellegent life form.

not him but can you point where he sounds insecure?

I want to learn how a retarded teenager mind works

About buttons. I bought a flannel shirt 3 or 4 years ago and the buttons are still great. The button holes are a bit worn out, but it stoll holds and no one will notice. The fabric is all right, definitely worn out but still wearable and looks better after a shrink from wash and ironing. Colors are faded. Its just black and gray so I wonder if I dye it can it be revived. I have worn the fuck out of this flannel shirt.

Basic shirts wont last long and the stitching of one hoodie started to come out after a couple of months. I do not know where you guys are but where I am some H&Ms have a super discount rack where you find shit cheap as fuck, does down to 1/3rd the price. I think that is the best place to look at. For thicker 100% cotton basics like sweat shirts I figured they have a life after they are on the streets, wearing it in the house or doing some manual labor. I can see my self wearing the hoodies I own today in my 50s doing dad things like carpentry or fixing whatever is broken in the house.

Addition. The most durable shirts I own are shitty graphic tees I bought in flea markets when I was a teenager. It was the mid 2000s so I bought everything baggy and they fit me just right now. Too bad only one of them has a decent print.

the only places i can afford to shop at is fast fashion places. i wish i could buy good quality clothes. i know they're shit but i have no choice

>What should and shouldn't you buy from fast fashion stores?
You shouldn't buy from fast fashion stores at all, obviously. That's like asking what you "should" buy from fast food restaurants.

I want to buy quality basics but I'm in Romania so I have nothing except fast fashion.

I went to allsaints for a closing down sale, their tshirts were the thinnest shittiest tshirts I've ever seen and their leather jackets were shit too. Clothing qulaity seemed on par with h&m and zara. I think they just charge more to make them seem more prestigious.

I'm certain that even Romania has thrift stores, flea markets, small family owned traditional businesses and military surplus. Oh, and probably internet. You have no excuse except your laziness and your desire to fit the aesthetic that fast fashion advertising perpetuates.

Yeah to be honest their quality has taken a downward turn over the last year or so. The shirts I bought there from like 2014/15 are the softest and best fitted I own, they used to do some really interesting weaves and blends.

This so much. You spergs need to realise that expensive luxurious fabrics won’t withstand the copious volume of biological wash powder and high temperatures most people use to wash their clothing. That’s why high fashion is plastered in DRY-CLEAN ONLY or HANDWASH ONLY.

having worked in H&M, I agree that you shouldn't buy anything from there. The staff and customers treat all their shit as trash, because, well, it is. The only thing I've bought from their is a single hoodie purely because I felt I had to look like I wore their clothing.

If you see it as a suitable alternative to objectively nicer clothing, I'll assume you are a child who cannot afford anything and have some sort of saving/shitty job

There are thrift stores and flea markets, but they mostly have chinese garbage that are 10 times worse than H&M. I'm not gonna spend 2 years finding 5 quality t-shirts thrifting. I need a wardrobe now.

So you wont able to find some quality basics from local brands living in country which is the main manufacturer for "premium basic brands" like Norse Projects and COS, right?

There's no place to try and buy Norse Projects or COS in Romania.

>oh also we bleed on your clothes all the time during morning shifts
Former h&m employee here and truck lead, can confirm.
I'd say a good 80% of those pins don't even make it nicely in to the seem and cause holes as well.
Sensoring multipacks of kids close was the worst and I don't even care how many holes I put in little kids tshirts.

COS is owned by H&M

I've only bought two pair of jeans from there, very hard to choose from considering the vast majority of basic shit in there. Is it true that Zara jeans are damn near dicktight compared to the rest of the market.

If you're in the UK. Tesco and Sainsburys actually make pretty decent clothing that wont fall apart on you. Also charity shops, seriously. Can find some really nice shirts and jumpers.

thrift stores are always raped and pillaged by vintage resale stores you mongoloid

>unironically buying Tesco clothing

Next you'll be telling me Primark jeans are the best in the world.

sauce?

current h&m employee here, i'd say 0% of those pins make it into the seam, roughly 99% make a hole somewhere else, and the remaining 1% find their way into my hand

>current h&m employee here, i'd say 0% of those pins
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2568754/Toddler-left-agonising-cut-trying-H-M-trousers-sharp-security-pin-attached.html

I'd by my low-budget jeans from Cotton. honestly the best and lots of choices.

>wether or not
>axiom by which
>basic != cheap

user, pls

whats wrong with axiom here?

Uniqlo is pretty damn good fast fashion retailer. But it's more of an exception than a rule

I have owned jeans that fell apart. Often I have holes torn in the crotch. Also, I once bought a pair of jeans with a sort of black, plastic coating on them from H&M, and after a few washes, it was all gone, and they were normal blue jeans.

fuckin owned

It's not the word, it's the wording that makes it all sound like he's trying to hard to sound smart. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say it just came out worse than he meant.

also nice dubs

BTFO