/archistethics/

Brutalism is the most fa style

Some oc

Dat beton tho

disgusting uncultured leftist trash

>Brutalism

End yourself dude

Ok mr. Cultured right winger. I can appreciate many styles at the same time. Romans did the raw beton meme first though

This isn't brutalism tho. It lacks the defining characteristic which is the raw concrete, béton brut

? Wtf does this have to do with politics??? I swear there can't be a single thread on pol that doesn't devolve into. Left v Right shitposting

*fa

that old building was so sick wtf

The old building looked amazing and all and it shouldn't have been torn down, but that's not to say that the old and the new can be built beside each other and coexist within the same domain.

>boo hoo! a building was demolished!
Doesn't take away from the fact that brutalism is awesome

ok maybe that image was more like futurism or some other thing.
I should've just said modernism

>example of an ugly brutalist building
>all bruralist architecture is now ugly
wtf

god british revivalism is ugly as fuck, literally the worst kind of architecture. what is wrong with brits they want to make everything look like their grandma's house

(pic related for some actual romanesk architecture and not some gaudy 19th century kitsch shit)

I like these.

It seems like amongst the populace people dislike/hate contemporary architecture. I do hate some contemporary architecture. I do understand the prevailing opinion, it seems like sometimes the architects are not pursuing beauty but rather just trying to make an edgy statement with a building that consciously rejects the past. As if this meme hasn't ground into the fucking ground already. Many new sky scraper designs are particularly hacky in this regard.

Has contemporary architecture always been maligned like this? My own theory is that (especially here in Europe) the late 19th century and continuing into the 20th, saw a big move towards preserving the past and considering it a generally more asthetic period. There's a number of people in Paris for example who are really pushing for architecture and town planning to re-embrace progresss and to take pride in that.

Architecture can often make political statements. What do you think this is trying to say?

>romanesk [sic] architecture
that's renaissance architecture. this is romanesque

the present fucking the past

Anything post ww1 is for imbecile plebs who have no taste.

>you will never live there

fuck is there anywhere in the states that has a similar landscape?

Don't post this ugly copy.

>sickly skinny boys who like to not eat, smoke cigarettes and cocks and wear bleak monochrome fits also like dystopian architecture

makes sense desu, degenerate instincts are all-encompassing.

agreed

architecture is one of the most importantly and obviously political artforms.

how can you not realise that the actual space people live their lives in has no ideological bearing?

The new moving confidently forward into the future while being built on the foundation and tradition of the old. I have no education in architecture or art but that's what I get from this one

>t. thinks the Albert Speer's architecture 'looks cool'

if the central library had been clad in marble as originally intended it would have been better than the pretty boring (even within Birmingham there are plenty of buildings like it) original desu senpai.

>My own theory is that (especially here in Europe) the late 19th century and continuing into the 20th, saw a big move towards preserving the past and considering it a generally more asthetic period

Europe had basically been aping older architecture since the 16th century and Palladianism (to the extent that grouping columns on a building in pairs was considered a horrifically revolutionary move within the Beaux Arts ca. 18th century). The 19th century just expanded that with full neoclassical and neogothic styles, and then arts and crafts in the later period. Art Nouveau was the first time architecture had started moving properly away from what had been done before

I'm not talking about copying the past in new architectural styles but rather preserving historical heritage which is a relatively new idea. Haussman's reforms in Paris would be impossible today.

For better or for worse, it seems like people were more happy to destroy or appropriate than they are now.

I swear to god white people bitch about everything.

for such supposedly "cultured" individuals tradcucks are utterly unable to offer any substantive architectural criticism other than ad hominem (and inevitably political) jibes or the word "trash"?

would fight zombies in here

Take the Pentagon for example. How is it's architecture in anyway idealogical? Sure it brings to mind a fortress implying the security and inpenetrability of the government headquarters, but based off that, the strength of an institution is not exclusive to any political idealogy as facism and communism both have the strength and power of the party as their main tenants. Architecture may be political but it's not idealogical. it's practical in nature unlike "purer" forms of art like music or paintings.

hahahaha wow you have an image saved from architectural revival. absolute shithouse page, says all we need to know about your opinion

if you add drug use & fucking both girls & boys you're pretty much dead on desu

There are thousands of old buildings that are still around

be gone modernist

ideology=/=politics

you fucking raging faggot

Modernism is goat

What a fkn waste

>this whole modernism vs classicism discussion
Why not both?

Ideology is expressed in art. Architecture is art. Ideology is expressed in architecture.

who ludwig here?

is that a fucking asserted proposition you swine

don't hate the player hate the language game

Yes men!

Wonderful

More brut!

Is that the backdrop for full house?

Brutalism seems to scream "A white woman was raped/is being raped/will be raped by an immigrant here" to me, not sure why

Gothic architecture is my favorite. Using heavy earthen materials to crate light airy structures is such a wonderful contradiction.

where is this?

Maybe Vermont or somewhere in the PNW

Crimea