Hi user, to start this interview why don't you tell us a bit about yourself?

>Hi user, to start this interview why don't you tell us a bit about yourself?

So what do they mean by this?

>I told them I like to shoot guns
>interview was over in 20 minutes

Also general interview tips thread I guess.

>Tell us about yourself

I believe this is an invitation for you to give a brief summary of any skills or experience you might have relating to the position you're applying for.

Oh jesus christ.
That explains a lot.

>I told them I like to shoot guns
top of the comedy
white kid coming and saying he likes to shoot guns, might as well say you're a virgin and a supreme gentleman

What the fuck did you think they meant dudE?

Place yourself in the interviewer's position.

>"Ok user should be here any minute now... Hmmm he seems to still be in college and he's applying for an intern position, great great."
>"OH hello user, please have a seat, my name is Mr. interviewer. I'll be conducting the interview with you today. Why don't you go ahead and tell me a little about yourself?" (expects to hear about past internships, club experience, hobbies related to the field, et cetera)

>Y-yea i like dota 2 a lot, shooting guns is pretty cool and i also post on Veeky Forums haha. Have you been to /k/?

oh this sounds even worse when you put it that way.
I live in Australia too. It was hard to even get people to go shooting with me. Australians seem to be terrified of the idea of guns. Plus the interviewers were all women. I kind of could tell as soon as I had said it it was a huge mistake.

>What the fuck did you think they meant dudE?
I guess I kind of thought they wanted to know about me as a person .. like.. on a date. Like how interviews pick people they are going to get along with not neccessarily the best person for the job. I was also telling them about how I moved to Australia etc.

Oh man. This was a huge worldwide company too. I was kind of surprised I even got an interview.

I need to spend a lot of time running over every interview scenario.

>>Y-yea i like dota 2 a lot, shooting guns is pretty cool and i also post on Veeky Forums haha. Have you been to /k/?

kek

>I guess I kind of thought they wanted to know about me as a person .. like.. on a date. Like how interviews pick people they are going to get along with not necessarily the best person for the job. I was also telling them about how I moved to Australia etc.

Cmon man.

Even if that WERE the case, do you honestly think it'd be like "Wait a second... YOU SHOOT GUNS TOO? Holy shit man what's the last gun you've shot? ME TOO, man fuck the interview you're hired we're going to be best buddies".

I was just saying my hobbies

You're right though

Goddamn going outside is such hard work

This is what you were meant to say

"I went to x School and did a bachelor of z, I got a 3.9 GPA and joined the chess club, debating society and the rugby club. I've had internships at (related firm) in my 2nd year and (related firm) in my 3rd year, now I am looking for an internship that could lead to full time work as I am going to be graduating next year. In my spare time (insert normie tier stuff, not gun shooting) I play in tennis competitions as well as play poker tournaments."

>Hi user, to start this interview why don't you tell us a bit about yourself?

"I like to get women pregnant and then disappear as best I can so they never find me, and the child grows up fatherless and resentful"

Thanks. I will add this to my practice

what company and position was it for, what was your degree?

Honestly man just start to think in a different way.

Think of it more from the point of view of the interviewer or as if you're a big shot CEO in an important business meeting. Practice that and it will come naturally.

So think, if you were giving a presentation to a bunch of BOARD MEMBERS and CEOs of companies and other investors, would you introduce yourself as "Hello My name is faggot, I play videogames and shoot guns haha, PEW PEW"?

Nah you'd say it professionally, just think of how that would sound or how you would expect that to happen.

"I like to shoot... not that I would, you know, shoot up this place or anything, heh."

Nice try ASIO / Recruitment Agent

Thanks. It was a really short notice interview and I spend all he spare time I had reading about the company. In the end they didn't even ask me anything about their company (though like I said I was in and out in 20 mins).
I'm gonna make a list of likely interview questions and come up with some pre-packaged answers to them and will take your advice into account.

:(

kekked

Good lad.

Just think of it more as how would you expect a professional to respond to questions, if that makes sense.

A professional would NEVER describe himself as "I like to shoot guns", that's what a highschool or at best fraternity kid would say

I got a bachelor's in biochemistry then enlisted in the army as 11b. Most of college is a drunken blur and my time in the Army has left me physically crippled and mentally unstable. You might say I have a poor decision making process and am prone to self destructive behavior. I am, however, a sweet tax write off. So when do I start?

This is an advanced interviewing technique that I'm sharing.

best thread on Veeky Forums.

wed get along just fine

wow yea agreed

This reminds me of my interview with the last job I worked. My soon-to-be boss asked me to describe myself and I told him I liked music and I played bass. He asked me who my favorite bassist was and I said Geddy Lee. Turns out he also played bass and was a huge Rush fan. That was the first question of the interview and he hired me on the spot after that.

tl;dr You might get lucky and get an interviewer with similar interests

This is worth a look.

>

thanks famalam

If this is true your example was definetly used during the HR coffee break as a joke and everybody was laughing about your interview.

When they ask that kind of question they want
A) you talk about your CV
B) talk about other experience/important info relevant for the job position that isn't written in your CV

yeah, this is basically the nail on the head.

don't tell them who you are, they don't care, they care if you are what they want/need.

The worst part is that it is all true.

Never again though. I want to leave the Ree-posting behind and get a real job. I'm just bummed because this company is huge and would let me move in all sorts of directions. I'm in my 30's and haven't had a full time job since 2004. Though given that apparently I've been misunderstanding interview questions all this time that is starting to all make sense.

Solid advice. Thanks

Keep in mind that some of these don't apply to a retarded employer.

Look for interview guides on google. There are plenty of tips on how to prepare for an interview and what to reply to each question. Afterall the more practice you get with it the better it goes and you'll see it's easy

right on

also OP, no gun talk, no religion, no politic. can poke a bit of fun at sports (maybe). avoid controversial topics.

also, eurofag here, is a 20min interview short for the US? damn

I'm in Australia. I don't know about US / Europe but here you can stay at an interview shit talking for an hour

Thanks man.

I'm in Aus. When I was doing cadetship interviews at a Bulge Bracket IB, the first interview went for 50 minutes. Most of us must have been 17-18 years old. That was a grueling process for a first timer lol.

It all comes down to what you have to offer the company. What you can do to help them and solve their problems.

>Tell me about yourself
This means tell them briefly how and why you'd be great at the job.

>What's your biggest weakness?
Do not fucking say you're a perfectionist or you work too hard. That's bullshit, everyone knows it. Address something you legitimately struggle with and how you're working to mitigate it.

Also, don't turn the question back on them. If they ask you tell them about yourself, don't say some stupid shit like "What would you like to know?"

This

>and how you're working to mitigate it

Perfect

e.g.

I've had public speaking issues, but, I joined toastmasters 3 months ago to gain my confidence and I plan in staying in it for another 3 so that way I am a great public speaker.

( i think the thing is called toastmasters)

By doing this, you prove that you are self improving/not lazy and that you can recognize your own flaws

My go to is
>I'm independently motivated/driven, and sometimes that leads me to want to do everything, when I should really be delegating some tasks to develop my leadership/mentoring skills. To work on this, I've been taking leadership training courses to help me better understand my role as a leader in the workplace and provide opportunities for those around me to build their skills.

Obviously this doesn't work for you if you're entry level, but my point is your example has to be something the interviewer could legitimately view as a growth opportunity.