Has there ever been any historical figures that did not exist?

Has there ever been any historical figures that did not exist?

Socrates

Jesus

napoleon Bonaparte

Prester John

In a sense, no historical figure really exists as you know them. You can get an impression of them from their writings, primary evidence, and first hand accounts, but historical figures are even more unknowable than your contemporaries.

The entire Xia dynasty, and most of the Shang dynasty.

Anyone who Stalin got slightly pissed off about
and he was a manlet so he was always mad

Tacitus fur ur lose.

Actually tacitus made up a lot of historical figures, like that one guy who made the "lying name of empire speech"

In a reverse note king arthur did exist

There's always going to be someone who sticks bananas in his ears while singing, "nononononononono". Whether you believe or otherwise in his philosophies or miracles, there was a historical person we now refer as "Jesus", as there were a number of people in his day who believed they were deliverers who people followed, as there have been throughout history since. It's not a stretch of the imagination, and disagreeing with religion on some intellectual basis makes it even more silly to stick one's head in the sand.

Yu the Engineer

Homer

Various members of the Russian communist party simply never existed. If you disagreed you would also stop existing.

This is a difficult question, because there are a number of personalities whose existence can't be confirmed through external sources. We take some amount, for example, of Homer's works to be historical, and thus the persons. We can verify the geo-political climate, the localities and some actual events with archaeology, but not the individual characters for which there's little to no way there might ever be any evidence.

So the answer comes down to "some cross-section of personalities which cannot be independently confirmed", or any personality for which only one source exists.

>tfw when you realize nothing in history can be proved

a better question is:
Has there ever been any historical figures that did exist?

Hitler

The earliest of these we can prove are Egyptian pharaohs. Yes, we can prove some people existed.

Robin Hood, probably.

Also king Arthur,El Cid, Hermann, Rurik, ...

how can you prove that YOU exist?

Charlemagne

The Queen Elizabeth II

King Arthur is likely the largest figure who's existence is disputed.

Never forget.

Shakespeare existed, but his name was not William Shakespeare.

Or something like that.

Adolf Hitler

>Tacitus
Third hand account. At best.

is there any proof the edit was made during stalinism?

Like Arthur, Moses was a legendary composite of some type. (See Moses & Monotheism by Freud)
Freud argues for Moses two people combined into a single legend long after him death

They are all fictional constructs, historical revisionists and their overlords have made everything up since the very beginning.
Yes I´m tipping it..

Homer
King Arthur
Charlemagne
Shakespeare

Stalin: Master of photoshop

>believing the WW2 hoax

> not believing /pol/ master race historians

William Shakespeare

Barack Obama

feels bad man

Lao Tzu

There's always one of these faggots

Goku

Shit... So I am masturbating to a mythical legend :(

>Moses and Monotheism

I forget, wasn't King Arthur a Centurion or something that served in three legions?

>he doesn't know what primary sources are

Only decent answer in this thread.

Sort of recentish but abu bakr al bhagdadi.

Robin Hood

No. If they existed then they're historical, if their existence is unlikely or questionable then they're mythical or legendary, e.g. King Arthur or Gilgamesh.

Arthur and Merlin

Yes, an intelligent communist.

A Celtic merc with a much better sword.

The other Arthur was an Anglo King that fucked off to France to remove Frog.

>rurik
Butthurt slav detected

William Tell
Robin Hood
Don Quitoe
Zorro
The Lone Ranger

Expound upon this please.

I'm pretty sure he's one of those "real, but so shrouded in myth and legend that he's practically made up" kind of guys.

but how did they take a photo of him if he wasnt real ?

Like Jesus?

DonkeyToe
Lmao
Its Don Quixote

me

kek

>tfw researching something and realising that there's no way to tell the actual truth

I mean there are things that can be proven but others can't and it's such a bad feel. For example there's no definite answer as to who killed Adam Walsh

>El cid.

But he did exist

Sun tsu

I can reply to this thread

Socrates did exist. How much of what we know of his is just Plato's cocksucking is the real question.

>Ctrl+f
>no Abraham

Damn, Veeky Forums is slipping.

we can just name any character from the old testament, and they will fall under this clasification

No Pope Joan?
I'm disappointed in you Veeky Forums