Monday stands for Magazine

Interview with Margareta van den Bosch from Vestoj #4 "On Power".

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/jEbym
archive.is/d79qx
archive.is/nbZg0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The Maison Martin Margiela x H&M collaboration wasn't successful.

>The site The Business of Fashion wrote disparagingly about the notion of 'democratic fashion' that companies like H&M seemed to promote and went on to list the many reasons why the MMM x H&M collection was far from democratic.
And one of the contributions was by Eugene Rabkin AKA Faust
archive.is/jEbym
archive.is/d79qx
Content limit reached, darn!

And where does the designer at H&M get his ideas from?

Worth noting that Roy Halston was the first one to do a collaboration with J. C. Penney.
Didn't turn out so well.

>we didn't expect too much either

>Journalists hardly took the time for their interviews; they couldn't wait to try the collection.

lol

Most of the profits from these collaborations come from advertisements.

The collaboration strategy is 13/14 years old.
Does it need revitalizing? How would you do it?

That's it!

What do you think of the article?
Are there some parts you find interesting?
Do you agree or disagree with what's being said?

Why?

Feedback on how to improve the scanning will be appreciated.
A download link with the full magazine will follow in due time.
Bump the thread so others can read this too.

>revitalizing
archive.is/nbZg0

Thanks for uploading this
I'll contribute more now that my psych meds are under control
T. mag user

No problem and best of luck. I was thinking of making this a weekly thread. Sharing one article each week, every Monday. Are you in for that?

thanks for the good read, interesting stuff

You can always email me, user. Or message me on Pastebin
Been looking for someone else to help contribute

What did you find interesting about it?
I did like how she gives a certain insight in how H&M works.

bump

is that bruce vilanch?

Bump

Hey S_R I'll get to this later, life got a bit busy. Make sure to keep it up. See you in IRC.

~WOLOWOLO

>"fashioning the masses"
that'd be cool

I think the only interesting part of the article to me was at the end where it was said "people think we don't do design", I would've liked this part to be expanded on. I could see the line about informing people about fashion/educating the masses from miles away. Seems like a justification.

The more telling thing was how much this interview was about the business of collaborations. Notice the use of marketing/marketing department in this interview.
>i.e. "we collaborate with designers because it's a business decision, saving money from the process of the copy, the trial/error, and the litigation"

I think a question that arises from this interview is what does the designer gain from collaborating with big box/fast fashion? Obviously they get a big fat paycheque. Or maybe mass recognition, but do most posh designers really want it? Or want the masses wearing their "art"? And if it's money they're after, why don't they just wait for the copy and litigate after?

Are you okay user?

Better now
Been a shitty year tbqh

re these two articles:
The article by Faust has a lot of good points for me, being the cynical salty bastard I am. I think he is on to something when he says "clothes aren't cool enough anymore". I think in a lot of developed countries there is a divide between those into and not into fashion. Most clothes are seen as garbage and designer collaborations lure people into a sense of thinking there is something special behind the garment.

Is it really "democracy" when you're getting a substandard garment though? There is no equality here. Especially in the Margiela case when it's from a bought out designer that doesn't contain any of the creativity or artful purpose of the label. This reminds me of my first collab purchase, a pair of Vans x WTAPS. I expected to get a higher standard of Vans (for some reason). And what did I get? A pair of sk8-his with a WTAPS label on it that no one can see when it's laced up.

I think this article contains a more recent topic that wasn't really analyzed too deeply and would be great for discussion on here. Streetwear-esque collaborations are absolutely crushing fast fashion ones. I'd say the only one that can stand up to them right now maybe is Uniqlo U. Additionally, missing from the articles/links from the OP was a discussion of technology, advertising, and marketing, which I think the streetwear world has a strong grasp of.

Same user, it's getting better for me though. I hope it will continue to get better for you too. If you ever want to live chat with other anons from Veeky Forums drop by our IRC on Rizon, the channel is #effay.

I might do that. Thanks man
We're all gonna make it

>Streetwear-esque collaborations are absolutely crushing fast fashion ones. I'd say the only one that can stand up to them right now maybe is Uniqlo U.
Can you elaborate?