Who here has gone to uni/college? Has it actually helped your career...

Who here has gone to uni/college? Has it actually helped your career? Did you drink and smoke your way through college passing classes and remember nothing about it? Thank you bros

I went to uni and it did help my career. Though I didn't get a career in my discipline, my first grad job I got paid pretty well and jump started my career. (Engineering > Banking)

I can't remember shit about uni besides the basic stuff but I did tryhard to get good marks

Bump

went to a cheap school for digital media only for the degree. I already knew the majority of what I'd be learning in classes but
>that piece of paper lul
Smoked and drank my way through and remembered the interesting classes that I took that were entirely irrelevant to my study. I took archeology, psychology and a few religion and philosophy classes, and those were probably the best experiences I got out of going to college.

So it did help my career because I wouldn't have got an internship without
>that piece of paper lul
but it helped me grow personally in other ways, learning things I would probably never be able to learn on my own and doing it in an engaged classroom with other people.

all around it was probably worth it.

Studied CS.

Most of career credentials for my current job were picked up while shut in my room doing things other than homework in hs adn college. College didn't teach me about full stack webdev or Linux administration.

But college research and electives taught me the fundamentals of distributed computing and AI, and that's what I really want to do. And I have those projects on my resume which attract interest periodically, as well as related side projects.

>Has it actually helped your career?
Without a doubt, but it's hard to put a number value on it.
I'm positive the relationships and interactions I had would have gone much differently without it.

>Did you drink and smoke your way through college passing classes and remember nothing about it?
Yes.

This. I studied weaboo studies and for that I'm doing really fine as IT consultant in the automobile industry.

Sometimes when I walk out of the office I laugh at how far I made it. It's just ridiculous.

i got a full ride worked hard and graduated on time with a great gpa and multiple internships in engineering

i was highly desirable to employers, so much so that i had a $70k job lined up before senior year ever started

i work 40 hrs a week and love my job

PS i drank a lot smoked a bit and partied hardly
college was a nightmare

>Who here has gone to uni/college?

i have, a Bachelors degree and tried to move into medical

after 6 years of trying to apply only to have affirmative action close up the spots i gav up. No, this is not just me being racist, the guy in enrollment actually told me this with a sad smile on his face as like 20 minorities were in queue in the line behind me out of earshot

>Did you drink and smoke your way through college passing classes and remember nothing about it?

no, i thought id get a career, i buckled down and studied hard, got a 3.9 gpa due to having to do bullshit gender courses as a REQUIREMENT

suprise suprise none of the men got an A is those courses cause muh patriarchy smashing teacher

In hindsight i shouldve gone full bore party frat guy, atleast i wouldve enjoyed myself and not nearly had a hear attack multiple times over the 4 years i was there

Im now a pipefitter making okay money and saving up for retirement

I drank my way through a sculpture degree in London

country and how much u make?

>went to uni
>didnt do shit
>didnt do internships
>graduated
>of fuck no one cares that i have a degree
>work shit low level office job
>go back to school for MA
>do internships
>do study abroad
>join academic clubs
>go to conferences
>graduate
>good job, steady middle-class pay, job security, benefits and time off

College is worthless if you don't take advantage of it. Its not just the degree, it is what one does with their time as a student. Impressing friends how fast you can shotgun a beer means nothing.

I went to university, don't feel that I learned anything I couldn't have learned on my own. However, the piece of paper at the end by itself is worth the cost, and ultimately what you are there for.

What degree?

Doing my master's now at a Technical University in Germany. Basically I do it for the degree and better payment afterwards but I do not learn anything at there. Lectures are shit, content is not interesting, etc.

It would be almost literally impossible for me to have gotten my job without going to uni even though my degree is not required for it.

what job and degree? this info is pointless without that

5€ on either TUD or RWTH

Why did you swap into banking, what engineering degree did you persue, what is the daily job like?

Thinking about switching too because fuck developing complicated stuff only to have it sit and dust in some shelves, also cool suits

I did a B.E. Hons in chemical engineering.

The jobs were honestly unattractive compared to jobs in the professional services/financial industry. Combination of most good jobs being on the other side of the country, the nation's mining boom ending drove down job opportunity, the few ChemE jobs in my city being for mid tier/tier 2 companies and/or extremely competitive to get, I just gave up on going on that career path.

I went for banking because it was the best job offer I got during my graduate season. I applied to a bunch of prof. service jobs but my best offer was with a big commercial bank. Lucky for me I ended up liking the job decently enough.

If you're hesitant on being an engineer, I would consider jobs in the financial services. I suspect I got in over people who had better resumes because I was "different" from a lot of the other grads and HR also seemed to have the view that engineering grad = competent. I was always lukewarm to working as an engineer, the place I interned in wasn't particularly inspiring, so that's why I was willing to jump ship. (Good) finance grad jobs also seemed to pay more than engineering grad jobs too but that wasn't that big a factor.

Also, wearing suits all the time can suck. They can be uncomfortable at certain times of year and wear out fast since you're wearing them day in day out.