Help me pic a fabric for my next jacket Veeky Forums

Help me pic a fabric for my next jacket Veeky Forums.
Also would it look good as a 3pc? My tailor is suggesting going with a 3 piece suit with this fabric.

Other urls found in this thread:

harristweedshop.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

For a sports jacket id pick the centre one but all look fine; but for a 3p suit i think only the bottom right makes sense.

Didn't we already do this? Deja vu.

3419 imo

Judging how a jacket would look like from such a small swatch is a bit difficult but I'd got with the upper right or middle one. I don't know about you but I'm not eccentric enough to pull of a gun check three piece suit.

I don't think so. I did ask in a /suit/ thread once.

3421 or 3419 would be my picks, or the right middle one. A 3pc would be a little too intense for my taste but I'd recommend the green or the blue for that.

6002 or the bottom right from me user, what style of jacket are you going for?
2 or 3 buttons?
patch chest pocket or flat pocket?
wide, medium or slim lappels?
shooting back or flat?
single or double breasted vest?
high waisted or lower waisted pants?
pleats or no pleats?

3420 or 6002, and yes it would look good as a three-piece ASSUMING you live anywhere it would remotely make sense. I notice the address on the swatches is Beverly Hills, if you're actually in LA then don't do this. Wearing a three-piece gun club check suit in Malibu or some shit is every kind of wrong at the same time.

It would fade into solid color at a distance but be noticeable as a pattern in medium range.

You should be looking at Harris Tweed for a sportcoat, OP, but if you're in SoCal the real thing is probably too heavy.

For 3pc I would go with gray glen plaid, nothing too colorful.

>You should be looking at Harris Tweed for a sportcoat, OP, but if you're in SoCal the real thing is probably too heavy.
Sadly, it isn't anymore. It should be, I agree, but those cloths in the pic are around the 12oz. mark, and that's about what you get with a "real" tweed these days as well, at least unless you get some weaver to make it up expressly for you. Even the Lovat Ettrick which is considered super heavy these days doesn't go above 21oz. (640g.)

>2 or 3 buttons?
Prob a 2.5 roll like the rest of my jackets
>patch chest pocket or flat pocket?
I'm leaning towards patch pockets since I like more sporty details on jackets.
>wide, medium or slim lappels?
See pic
>shooting back or flat?
You mean like an action back? I was thinking of having a belt in the back like half belts. Not full on Norfolk.
>single or double breasted vest?
Single, double seems too formal.
>high waisted or lower waisted pants?
High waisted of course
>pleats or no pleats?
I was thinking of pleats, maybe forward pleats

Jodek is just the cloth merchant and that's where they operate. They operate all over the U.S.

This is what my tailor carries. I'll probably have to ask him about Harris someday.

Yeah, I like heavy cloth weights. I own a collection of vintage suits and their suiting is noticeable heavier than modern fabric. I own a jacket from the early 1900s or early 1910s that's built like a tank.

>I own a collection of vintage suits and their suiting is noticeable heavier than modern fabric.
Same. I have an austerity tweed sportcoat made from 1940s Harris tweed and the density of the weave can't be compared to the modern stuff, it's laughable these days unfortunately. It's to the point where sometimes I wish I'd never gotten into secondhand kit so I wouldn't know how much better shit used to be.

>2.5 roll
You mean 3 roll. I haven't seen half buttons before.

Shit, it's called 3/2 roll. Basically the lapels rolls to the 2nd button but it's a 3 button jacket.

nice stuff OP, if I can be indiscreet for a moment, how much does your tailor charge on average for a suit? I've heard both sides of the spectrum, as low as 200 and as high as the prices of Saville Row.

A lot of the reason people don't make fabrics that heavy is the advent of air conditioning. I think it may be impractical to wear heavy fabric in an a.c. building. Not that I don't disagree, I do like the way heavy fabric drapes, how wrinkle resistant it is and how rustic it looks. But at the same time modern fabric can be very luxurious looking.

Hmm. That depends on what fabric you want and the style. Like if you, say, want something special it may cost extra.
Like the fabric for the jacket here is about 250 per yard. I think the one in the OP is a lil more or the same. So for a 3 piece you need about 5 yards of fabric. 5 x 250 is 2,250 just on fabric alone. Add in the labor it's probably going to be around the ballpark of 3kish.

However if you were to get a cheaper fabric and make it a 2 piece I think the general range might be around 1k to 2k. I remember the first jacket he made for me was around 800ish I think. The tailor of most renown here 2 piece suits start at 3k I believe with their basic fabrics so the guy I go to ends up being a lot cheaper.

The reason for this is cheaper overhead costs and not a lot of people go to him to get clothes made, he does mostly alterations. But he does make custom clothes and he's been in the tailoring business for over 50 years since he started in his teens as an apprentice to his brother. He's a good friend of mine and very honest, he makes a personal paper pattern and does all the work by himself except making the labels that go inside the jacket. I know cuz I've seen him doing it. He might also do a bit more machine work on average but it's not a big deal.

Those $200 dollars are going to be made to measure in probably very cheap fabric. A lot of custom business are actually made-to-measure operations that sometimes outsource their work. Not true custom but viable if you got an average physic and don't care much about something being custom.

>Like the fabric for the jacket here is about 250 per yard.
WTF, 250 American dollars? That seems super excessive, like I looked up the middle cloth in the OP just now and it's £50/meter before tax, which makes far more sense to me. Which fabric in the OP costs $250?

Looking for made to measure sites for reasonably priced tweed jackets. Anyone have recommendations? I live near a major city but I can't afford these high end bespoke tailors.

>the fabric for the jacket here is about 250 per yard
you better be getting the absolute fucking best fabric in the world for that price cause shit's ridiculous
with like 40 bucks/meter you can buy really high end fabrics off ebay

harristweedshop.com
Still a bit of cash, but not catastrophic.